2020 Fishing: Get out there and wet some hooks

Dances with Dachshunds

• 2 weeks later...

Cause I was cold and a little drunk and ready to go back inside and I didn’t feel like fucking with it.  Hell, sober and in direct sunlight it took me almost a minute to get that sucker out.  Dont think I’ve seen a good a hookset as that.  The only way he was getting off is if he broke the 6lb test.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

Waiting to see the day when line-caught fish are all served with hook/lure still in their mouth for hipster authenticity.

The fish is serve with a warning, "This fish is so fresh, it jumped from the boat onto the frying pan with the hook still in it's mouth. Please do not eat the hook."

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, hookemATL said:

WINNING!  Looks like a great day.

Would you mind sharing whereabouts you went on the Guad?  Im interested in something similar during my time off from work next few weeks.

Sure we used https://allwaterguides.com for the float and guide.  GTU stocks and has limited licenses for access points, they are sold out this year. Some public access points I think a day pass at L&L Lazy River campgrounds is a good spot to wade.  All in new braunfels.  

3 minutes ago, troph said:

Sure we used https://allwaterguides.com for the float and guide.  GTU stocks and has limited licenses for access points, they are sold out this year. Some public access points I think a day pass at L&L Lazy River campgrounds is a good spot to wade.  All in new braunfels.  

Alvin and Lenee are good people. I've been friends with Alvin since his rock and roll singer days in the 90s, and Lenee is from SE Texas and we have tons of mutual friends. Hollywood Colt and I fished with her last year and had a great day. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Alvin and Lenee are good people. I've been friends with Alvin since his rock and roll singer days in the 90s, and Lenee is from SE Texas and we have tons of mutual friends. Hollywood Colt and I fished with her last year and had a great day. 

we're going again next saturday.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BearSchlong said:

@troph caught on nymphs?

I've fished that stretch of river many times.

Almost entirely. Had a great moment at the end, saw 5-6 in a deep rut/channel so we went with a worm, egg,and nymph with about 6-7 feet of line between the indicator and the nymph. Presented to them probably 10-12 times before I finally got a strike.  They were picky little buggers.  Lots of faint nibbles so we knew we were close. Wind was picking up so presentation was tough.  Caught two there because we stuck with it.  That was the one I caught under the bridge - pic above.

Edited by troph

after enjoying the float down the river, I thought about getting two person raft.  you know though, that adds not only more crap to store, care for and manage, it adds a whole nother aspect of skill to the fishing experience.  how many of you have rafts, how hard was that adjustment?

15 minutes ago, troph said:

after enjoying the float down the river, I thought about getting two person raft.  you know though, that adds not only more crap to store, care for and manage, it adds a whole nother aspect of skill to the fishing experience.  how many of you have rafts, how hard was that adjustment?

I don't own one, but have fished with guys that do. Fishing a river raft is really a two vehicle operation. You'll need to launch the boat, tie it off, drive your truck/trailer to the take out point with someone in another vehicle following you, then drive back to the launch point, fish your river stretch, take out, then drive the other person back down to the launch point to pick up the "chase" vehicle. How often are you going to be able to find someone to do that with you? 

Also fishing a raft is going to require you to have a fishing partner that can row (harder than it sounds) or you end up rowing all day and not fishing. ( I have the same issue with the poling skiff. ) 

31 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I don't own one, but have fished with guys that do. Fishing a river raft is really a two vehicle operation. You'll need to launch the boat, tie it off, drive your truck/trailer to the take out point with someone in another vehicle following you, then drive back to the launch point, fish your river stretch, take out, then drive the other person back down to the launch point to pick up the "chase" vehicle. How often are you going to be able to find someone to do that with you? 

Also fishing a raft is going to require you to have a fishing partner that can row (harder than it sounds) or you end up rowing all day and not fishing. ( I have the same issue with the poling skiff. ) 

yeah the two vehicle thing I get.  not sure we have two rowers in the fam right now.  and I watched the guide row, it' actually quite challenging to keep on the fish.

On 10/30/2020 at 7:57 PM, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Playa...for four months. Unplugging from the simulation, fishing a rising tide every day. Vaya con dios.

UPDATE:

first the bad news...I think I’ve fished a total of 4 hours since we arrived 1.5 months ago.

The big news...we’re staying. Enrolling the kids in a trilingual school and looking for a long-term rental. We’ll give it a year and see what happens.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

UPDATE:

first the bad news...I think I’ve fished a total of 4 hours since we arrived 1.5 months ago.

The big news...we’re staying. Enrolling the kids in a trilingual school and looking for a long-term rental. We’ll give it a year and see what happens.

That sounds awesome! 

2 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

UPDATE:

I learn any language you want, and I don’t take up much space. I also roll a mean blunt and make great omelettes. Won’t you adopt this poor, crippled (not really) orphan (nope) boy (36 yo man)?

Cuteness Please GIF

On 12/15/2020 at 8:20 AM, troph said:

You will get more use out of a sit on top kayak . . . particularly a really stable one designed for fishing.   

• Hook 'Em 1

Finishing 2020 really strong on the fishing front. Another weekend on the Guad.  Harder day, we hooked 8 between us, brought 5 in. I was 2 for 2, she was 3 for 6.  Man that part of the river just below canyon damn is a really great stretch to fish! 

This year wow!!

Man guys I owe you a ton. Special shout outs to @fattyflattie @Pato del Muerto @Chewbacca@Mac8111 @justhookit @davidg@DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt@Pescado_Rojo and I’m sure some more of you.  At one point or another you guys took the time to help me figure shit out.  Feeling really grateful for y’all. 

I now know how to tie a surgeons knot - as of 5 minutes ago. Sitting here getting organized for a Christmas morning outing on the Guad (again lol).  This time just us armed with some decent knowledge of how to do this.  We might not catch any but for the first time I feel like we have everything we need to have a decent chance on our own.  I’m super stoked.  All the gear, all the skills.  Covid can take a jump in a lake. Tippet, slip shot, cinch knot, improved cinch knot, nymphs, dry flies, wooly buggers, roll casting, rigs, stripping, indicators, float, leaders, all the skills, all the terminology, and we probably caught 2 dozen trout and bass among us.  

2021 we are going to learn the Llano, Colorado and surf fishing.  We should have a kayak or two and may fly fish the flats for reds as well. 

Fishing like this is something that’s always be near me but never part of my skill set. It’s super intimidating to learn as an adult to be quite honest.  And you fellas have been a huge part of shortening my learning curve. 

2020 the year we learned fly fishing! Maybe I’ll look back on this year fondly. 

thank you! Y’all are amazing! 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 7