traffic policing hypothetical - what would you do

52-80

2 hours ago, B00M said:

Interesting. Why? He's a fellow manual transmission guy, so he's trying to maintain a slow speed rather than stopping constantly and having to work the clutch (and brakes). 

He doesn't mind 20, 30, 40 cars cutting him off before he gets to his exit?  The people who've been dutifully sitting behind him in line sure do.

Interesting. Why? He's a fellow manual transmission guy, so he's trying to maintain a slow speed rather than stopping constantly and having to work the clutch (and brakes). 
I drive a manual and I sure as hell don't leave huge ass gaps. I'm trying to move up asap. Also I'm not a pussy so I can shift from neutral to 1st in a nano second.
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Jersey Man10 said:
2 hours ago, B00M said:

I drive a manual and I sure as hell don't leave huge ass gaps. I'm trying to move up asap. Also I'm not a pussy so I can shift from neutral to 1st in a nano second.

I bet you power shift the fuck out of that Accord

This thread hits close to home.  From Nov through Jan 2020 out bound on Memorial from downtown it was one lane in spots all the way to Shepard for road improvements.  Now through April it's the inbound lanes that will be one lane in spots from Shepard to downtown.  Most people just refuse the zipper concept and you almost always have the open lane way slower than the merging lane.  The "us vs. them" comment is spot on.  The people who have been waiting in the open lane try their best to not let anyone merge at the last minute.

Since  this came up, what about a two lanes that merge into one towards an intersection.  You have a long line of people who stay in the left hand lane, and two or three assholes that will stay in the right hand lane until the very end and then butt in to the front of the line.  I will always block them because they are just assholes. 

Yeah...you’re the asshole. The road was designed that way for a reason. The line of traffic in both lanes should be even

It's just amazing to me how much less we think of our fellow human beings when we're in automobiles. Traffic scenarios all seem personal, and there's zero room for nuance, regardless of the issue. I'm always just amazed there isn't more road rage violence; it seems like traffic is a situation born to create terror, madness and mayhem.

• Like 1

I was driving  on the shoulder of an interstate once because traffic was backed up for about 3 miles.   My wife and small children had been hit from behind. A trucker tried to block the shoulder and I swerved onto the grass, and flipped him off as I passed.

I had a hearty fuck you for him again when he passed us as I was standing their with the EMT's, and police. I was driving a 5 Series so his initial thought process was OK, just misguided in that instance.

On 2/12/2020 at 8:44 PM, blacklab said:

Was leaving Tx-Ou game and was in parking lot waiting to get out. I was going strait and a jackass wearing an ou shirt in a brand new F150 was turning right and was trying to get in front of me. I was keeping a few inches from the car ahead of me. The car in front moved a few feet and we both moved at the same time. I rammed him with my grill guard putting a nice dent in  just behind the headlight and he kept moving so it made a pretty good scratch all the way to the door. He took off. Got home and I couldn't even find a scratch on the grill guard. 

Not a traffic line, but your story reminded me of a past RRS. My date and I were in a ridiculously long daiquiri line after the game, when I noticed a few young guys cutting as a group several people ahead of us. They tried the whole walk up to their friends, chat and slide in routine. I heard a few people behind us grumbling about it but no one said anything until I yelled out "hey guys", and when they all looked at me I said while pointing, "the end of the line's back there." Without a word, they all walked back to the end of the line, which prompted an older gentleman to smile and say something or other to me like "good going, young man." After noticing his OU button up shirt, I simply answered, "well thanks for making me have to do YOUR job, since they cut right in front of you." His smile disappeared and he turned back away from me.  /csb

8 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

It's just amazing to me how much less we think of our fellow human beings when we're in automobiles. Traffic scenarios all seem personal, and there's zero room for nuance, regardless of the issue. I'm always just amazed there isn't more road rage violence; it seems like traffic is a situation born to create terror, madness and mayhem.

I spend copious amounts of time in airports. I couldn't think any less of humans.

16 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I was driving  on the shoulder of an interstate once because traffic was backed up for about 3 miles.   My wife and small children had been hit from behind. A trucker tried to block the shoulder and I swerved onto the grass, and flipped him off as I passed.

I had a hearty fuck you for him again when he passed us as I was standing their with the EMT's, and police. I was driving a 5 Series so his initial thought process was OK, just misguided in that instance.

You handled yourself better than I would have when he approached the accident scene.

1 minute ago, Lat22 said:

You handled yourself better than I would have when he approached the accident scene.

I was standing there with state cops, I could see he was a big dude, and while I might have gotten a couple punches in (had it ever even come to that) he would have killed me in the end.

I gave him a double flip off and a loud fuck you asshole, the cops looked at me, and when I explained they chuckled and said yeah OK that's cool.