Wes Anderson's next film, The French Dispatch

mdmost

On 11/8/2021 at 7:40 PM, mr. sunshine said:

It was on the other morning and I hadn’t seen it since it was released so what the fuck. Not nearly as bad as I remembered it and actually pretty  watchable.

Might give the Darjeeling Limited another shot one of these days 

I think it speaks to Wes Anderson’s talent and obsessive nature that he hasn’t ever really put out a dud. If forced to rank his films there’s always gonna be the ones towards the bottom, and Darjeeling may be down there for me, but I still love that movie. they’re all pretty great. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 11/9/2021 at 10:38 PM, Elvis said:

Is Bottle Rocket really that good?  It’s the only one that I don’t really remember the plot.  All the others stuck with me. Haven’t seen French. 

He's out!

On 11/10/2021 at 8:02 AM, OneOfTheOutOfFocusGuys said:

Go back to when you were twenty and watch bottle rocket knowing it was also a bunch of guys that were in their 20s doing it. 

And you're out, too.

And I don't think I'm in, either. No gang!

We watched this last night. It was quirky and very enjoyable. Wes Anderson's New Yorker Magazine movie. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...

He’s talented, but can be pretentious as fuck. I’m so desperate for intelligent filmmaking I’ll allow some of his bullshit, but it gets annoying*. Haven’t seen the topic of this thread… HBO Max, huh? May check it out. 

*Was Darjeeling the one on the train? It’s been a long time. If I’m recalling correctly, there was a flashback to a funeral/car scene that stripped away all the fanciful bullshit, and it was real, even gritty, amd such a breath of fresh air from the rest of the film. I wanted more of that (I get it, then I’m not getting the WA whimsy). 

I watched it tonight. It's, um, interesting. His movies are absolutely gorgeous. I love all of that. But the subjects get odder and odder. I really enjoyed parts of Dispatch but as a whole, it doesn't really work for me. I thought it was a very interesting concept but didn't find much in "articles" all that engaging.

On 2/26/2022 at 8:41 PM, Vito Andolini said:

He’s talented, but can be pretentious as fuck. I’m so desperate for intelligent filmmaking I’ll allow some of his bullshit, but it gets annoying*. Haven’t seen the topic of this thread… HBO Max, huh? May check it out. 

*Was Darjeeling the one on the train? It’s been a long time. If I’m recalling correctly, there was a flashback to a funeral/car scene that stripped away all the fanciful bullshit, and it was real, even gritty, amd such a breath of fresh air from the rest of the film. I wanted more of that (I get it, then I’m not getting the WA whimsy). 

Yea that’s Darjeeling limited 

9 hours ago, C-Man said:

I watched it tonight. It's, um, interesting. His movies are absolutely gorgeous. I love all of that. But the subjects get odder and odder. I really enjoyed parts of Dispatch but as a whole, it doesn't really work for me. I thought it was a very interesting concept but didn't find much in "articles" all that engaging.

This is where I fall. Watched it this weekend with my fiancé and visiting mother who are not knowledgable on his style and other movies. They thought it was “cute” and liked how it was shot and the overall look. I already knew all of that but I was just missing the glue you could say. Very interesting concept that I think could have been great in some sort of slightly different way. If a movie isn’t making me crack up, think deeply, be on a thrill ride or see great nudity…then I think it could be tweaked a little bit or a lot. Didn’t have the same comedic value as darj.

2 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

I'm a big WA fan but I also quit about halfway through.

I think the last "article" with Edward Norton, Jeffrey Wright and Willem Dafoe was the strongest of the short stories. Also, the short "obit" at the end for Bill Murray had a couple of the movie's funniest jokes. The ending was whimsical and sweet -- too bad the rest of the movie didn't have the same tone.

I watched it last night and enjoyed it.    Not his best but still very entertaining.

Honestly I want to go back and rewatch it - like all of his films there is so much going on and so many subtleties that I'm sure it will take more than one viewing to get them all.  

I finally watched this film during a flight last week.   I did not enjoy it and thought it was ridiculous.

My husband was next to me and asked what I was watching.  I told him the name.   His response:  "looks pretentious".   A perfect review, especially for someone who didn't see it.

I love other WA films, just not this one.

This movie stuck with me and I enjoyed it.  Had some really strong moments.

I'm curious if a lot of the unanimous dislike of this film on here is coming from people now watching it at home.  Because I can totally see not liking this movie if I had the option to look down at my phone or do something else while it's on.

22 hours ago, fellside said:

I'm curious if a lot of the unanimous dislike of this film on here is coming from people now watching it at home.  Because I can totally see not liking this movie if I had the option to look down at my phone or do something else while it's on.

I've seen one Wes Anderson movie at the theatre - Moonrise Kingdom, and it's the only one I was really disappointed with.

I may be different because I'm ALWAYS distracted by shit at the theatre, and never at home where I control the environment.

I really liked Moonrise Kingdom, but my boys were Scouting when it came out (or when I watched it).  I thought Norton's charachter was really funny.  Life Aquatic and Royal Tenenbaums are definitely my favorites, with Rushmore next.

• 4 weeks later...

Holy shit, I had to turn it off halfway through.  So far a strong contender for his worst.

In fairness, naked women are generally the highlight of any film for me, but so far, that's literally the ONLY light.  The Benecio segment was joyless.  I'm almost always joyful when watching Wes.  Fonzie was out of place/wasted

Chalamet, who I generally find irksome, is promising so far.  I too, would be befuddled if forced to be a French intellectual.  But this is where I turned it off. 

I promised 500 words in this review, and I will finish the movie and report back

What an epic turnaround.  Story 3 cops cooking was perfect Anderson.  Out of the park.  I thought the French intellectual thread was still mailing it in but it was fine. 

The strong third story and the nice closing credits were really terrific.  While I wish the first two stories were stronger, probably a signal that I should just put it aside and revisit again. 

I enjoyed it immensely. His shit has always been more charmingly weird than LOL funny. But the long lead up to the fresco joke was genuinely fucking funny. I got a kick out the activist shit.
To each their own, I guess.