OU prof equates "OK, Boomer" with the N-word, apologizes

C-Man

Quality education they're getting up there north of the Red River.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/11/us/oklahoma-professor-n-word-ok-boomer/index.html

(CNN)A University of Oklahoma professor has apologized after saying "OK, boomer" is the same as saying "n***er," the university's student newspaper.

When a student made the comment Tuesday that journalists must keep up with younger generations, the professor said that was "the equivalent of saying 'OK, boomer' to him," the OU Daily reported.
"Calling someone a boomer is like calling someone a n***er," the professor then said, according to the paper, which said some of its staffers were in the class and witnessed the exchange.
The professor apologized in an email to students Tuesday evening, the OU Daily said.

"I realize the word was hurtful and infuses the racial divisions of our country, past and present," the professor wrote, according to the paper. "Use of the word is inappropriate in any — especially educational — settings."
CNN has reached out to the professor for comment, but has not heard back.
The university's interim president, Joseph Harroz Jr., condemned the comparison earlier in the day, saying "while the professor's comments are protected by the First Amendment and academic freedom, his comment and word choice are fundamentally offensive and wrong."
"The use of the most offensive word, by a person in a position of authority, hurt and minimized those in the classroom and beyond," Harroz said.
The term "OK, boomer," a viral meme among millennials and Generation Z, exploded last year on the TikTok social media app, where countless mocking videos are calling out what young people perceive as out-of-touch Baby Boomers and their patronizing opinions.

Saw this elsewhere.  Had this tidbit:

On Twitter, a student group calling itself the “OU Black Emergency Response Team” condemned use of the the racial slur.

“We do not condone or accept this behavior from any member of the OU community regardless of occupation or student status,” the group said. “This will not be tolerated or accepted and we expect full action be taken against the professor and college.”

The group also called for “accommodation” to be made for “students who have experienced trauma” because of the alleged incident.

On 2/12/2020 at 11:46 AM, gyroprotagonist said:

I think it's OK if you say Booma'.  no 'R'

CSB, I'm solidly in GenX and one of my players on a 6th grade basketball team I coach, told me 'OK Boomer' after getting on them about something.  yeah, they ran for that.

Frankly you should have denied them water during the middle of a hot August day until they got the drill right. That’s how I remember things getting done right during two a days. 

That’s what the boomers used to do to us Gen X’rs anyway.

Although nowadays that would probably get you arrested. 

On 2/13/2020 at 10:07 AM, Elvis said:

Similarly, I consider the term ginger a racial slur in the same way the n-word is.  It is hostile, derogatory, and specifically addressing someone's heritage and physical appearance.  

Uhhh no.

Edited by Chopper

giphy.gif

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/24/us/oklahoma-professor-n-word/index.html

(CNN)For the second time in as many weeks, a professor at the University of Oklahoma has been accused of using the N-word.

A history professor issued a "trigger warning" before reading a "historical document that used the 'N-word' repeatedly," the university's interim president, Joseph Harroz, Jr. wrote in an apology.
"It is common sense to avoid uttering the most offensive word in the English language, especially in an environment where the speaker holds the power," Harroz said in a statement posted to the university's Twitter page.
The professor has not been identified.

"While she could have made the point without reciting the actual word, she chose otherwise," Harroz said, adding that this was another painful experience for the students in the class as well as their community.
Harroz said the latest incident occurred before the university had a chance to roll out its action plan following the uproar almost two weeks ago, when another OU professor apologized after telling his students that saying "OK, boomer" to someone is the same as calling someone "n***er."
All OU faculty, staff, and administration are now required to go through a diversity, equity, and inclusion training, and the university will release details about an incident response protocol they are developing "in the near future," Harroz wrote.