Whats your rank for Night Court among the other 30 min 80s comedies?

AUS-97HORN

I was 10  when the show started, and watching those early episodes years later I realized a shitload of the jokes were adult oriented and went over my head.

But damn, the show was pretty damn funny.

Markie Post having those monster knockers. and I think Bull was the most utilized character.

and there were all kinds of reoccuring guest appearances that were pretty dang funny

with Bull being probably the best utilized character

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9z3Z7p4ox0

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

Somewhere behind Cheers, Golden Girls, Family Ties and Cosby but ahead of Alf.

I would slot in behind Cheers and Newhart on my favorites list. I put Alf ahead of GG, FT and Cosby. Then there are the also rans like Perfect Strangers. Leaving out Three's Company, as it was half 70's/half 80's.

Edited by bamachine
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Agreed, but horribly underused on Night Court, which knocks the show down a notch in my book.

The Fall Guy >>>>>>>>> Night Court

I was a huge fan of Heather Thomas for sure.

Just one minor quibble, The Fall Guy was an hour-long drama and the OP was asking about 30-minute sitcoms.  Just sayin...

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Just one minor quibble, The Fall Guy was an hour-long drama and the OP was asking about 30-minute sitcoms.  Just sayin...

Also, even though FG used Markie's talents much more efficiently, she was only on screen for 1-2 minutes per episode.

Loved it as a kid. I've seen reruns on MeTV and it doesn't hold up. It's too goofy and the supporting cast is actually kind of weak. John Larroquette as Dan Fielding was a big deal back in the day but now that character just seems like an anachronism. Marsha Warfield was the best thing going in the supporting cast. Bull is just annoying. And I don't care if I'm being sexist, Markie Post was way too buttoned up. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, utee94 said:

It wasn't an hour long if you fast-forwarded the VCR through all the scenes Heather Thomas wasn't in. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Loved it as a kid. I've seen reruns on MeTV and it doesn't hold up. It's too goofy and the supporting cast is actually kind of weak. John Larroquette as Dan Fielding was a big deal back in the day but now that character just seems like an anachronism. Marsha Warfield was the best thing going in the supporting cast. Bull is just annoying. And I don't care if I'm being sexist, Markie Post was way too buttoned up. 

Dem titties were definitely too buttoned up.

I liked Cheers and Bosom Buddies.

I watched a lot of Who's The Boss but admittedly, it was pretty much just because of my huge crush on Alyssa Milano (she's the same age I am so no pedo).

The Wonder Years would be my #1 but it straddled 80s/90s so not sure it counts.

Jesus, the 80s was a TV comedy wasteland. I can’t think of an 80s sitcom that I would voluntarily watch in reruns.  Night Court was among my favorites at the time, but it’s unwatchable now.  Even Cheers really isn’t that funny in retrospect.  

Seinfeld saved the sitcom.  Since then we’ve had classics like News Radio, The Office, and Curb, and dozens of other shows that were better than anything on TV in the 80s.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Underdog said:

Never cared for it, just wasn't a fan of Harry Anderson. 

Wings was great though.  

<----  Dumbass.  Could've sworn Wings was an 80s sitcom.  

7 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

Jesus, the 80s was a TV comedy wasteland. I can’t think of an 80s sitcom that I would voluntarily watch in reruns.  Night Court was among my favorites at the time, but it’s unwatchable now.  Even Cheers really isn’t that funny in retrospect.  

Seinfeld saved the sitcom.  Since then we’ve had classics like News Radio, The Office, and Curb, and dozens of other shows that were better than anything on TV in the 80s.

Wut?  Cheers is/was/always will be funny.  

Cheers doesn't hold up quite as well as Seinfeld, but it's as good as an 80's sitcom was at the time, and lasts as well as any 80's sitcom into our era.  Also, keep in mind...nearly 1/3 of Cheers' run occurred in the 1990's, not the 1980's.  Nightcourt was funny, as were several of the others mentioned above, and give the ones credit who didn't base their sitcoms around kids or a workplace, but rather something entirely different (courthouse, bar, airport terminal, etc.).  But childhood/adolescent sitcoms to me will always be 1-seinfeld, 2-cheers, 3-who gives a shit 'cause I ain't 14 anymore and ain't watching.   

56 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

WTF with Cheers?

Family Ties was really good. 

Gary Shandling Show

Newhart

Bosom Buddies was criminally underappreciated

Too Close for Comfort

16 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Yeah, but the best part was in the 80s.

Well yeah, but if you go back and look at the episodes, there were pretty damn great ones in that last batch of 90.