Your go to DQ Blizzard

Both Tacos

What is actually really good there is the grilled chicken sandwich. Large piece of chicken and a small bun.

There used to be an ice cream bar I got there as a kid, it was vanilla ice cream with "hidden" fudge and peanuts throughout the random bites, coated in the chocolate shell.

What was that called? I need to order one if available. I bet it has been 35 years since my last one.

9 hours ago, F250 said:

I don't think their steak fingers have been good since the early 90's.

I think the food quality varies greatly from one location to another.  I can't speak for their steak fingers, but the one near Stassney and Manchaca has some of the best fast food American tacos out there. 

As for dessert, I tend to favor the Oreo Royal Blizzard.  For those who don't have Royal Blizzards at your location, it's an Oreo Blizzard with a generous portion of hot fudge in the middle. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Are there any decent DQ locations in Houston? The one in Spring Branch is an abomination.  

Not Houston, but there is one in Stafford on 90 between 610 and 59. There is also one in Sugar Land on 90 just west of Hwy. 6.

3 hours ago, markstanco said:

There used to be an ice cream bar I got there as a kid, it was vanilla ice cream with "hidden" fudge and peanuts throughout the random bites, coated in the chocolate shell.

What was that called? I need to order one if available. I bet it has been 35 years since my last one.

Buster Bar

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

you know how the best part of the Drumstick is the very end, the supper chocolately filled bottom of the sugar cone with some ice cream?  like that, in every bite, with chopped peanuts.

The beetus be damned, this sounds amazing. 

also, you should write marketing copy for DQ and other ice cream novelties

• Haha 1

DQ is terrible these days.  Haven't been in like 3 or 4 years after they ran out of ice cream one day.  That's after they ran out of their "blizzard of the month" by the 8th of the month (but kept it on the sign of course).  I never even thought they're ice cream was particularly good, it was just convenient for us.  Now days the line of cars wraps around the building, I don't get it.  

• 2 months later...
On 6/12/2020 at 9:09 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Are there any decent DQ locations in Houston? The one in Spring Branch is an abomination.  

I live close by, thought I would get fat from living so close due to my love of blizzards, and thankfully it's so bad that I've been to the La Grange DQ more than that one in the last year.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/10/2020 at 7:46 AM, dingleberryswitzer said:

DQ is terrible these days.  Haven't been in like 3 or 4 years after they ran out of ice cream one day.  That's after they ran out of their "blizzard of the month" by the 8th of the month (but kept it on the sign of course).  I never even thought they're ice cream was particularly good, it was just convenient for us.  Now days the line of cars wraps around the building, I don't get it.  

this guy does not fuck.

"its terrible these days, I but haven't been to one in 4 years."  K

Has it gotten noticeably better in the past 4 years?  Because it sucked when I was last there.  What kind of person would I be if I kept trying shitty things because maybe this time it will be good.

I just get creamy creations or swoon from heb if I'm in the mood.  Half as convenient, but 10 times better.

23 hours ago, Hornbeliever said:

I live close by, thought I would get fat from living so close due to my love of blizzards, and thankfully it's so bad that I've been to the La Grange DQ more than that one in the last year.

The juice isn’t worth the squeeze to drive to Highway 6 and I 10 just for DQ. The small town ones are always better and I’ll seek them out on road trips.

On 6/12/2020 at 9:09 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Drive to Hempstead. It's on one of the main roads. Out of your way a little as it is mine unless I'm heading to Houston, but every time I've stopped it's been great. I judge a lot by french fry quality and they had hot, crisp and fresh covered. Not easy to do sometimes, especially since I have stopped during regular meal times as well as off hours.

12 hours ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Has it gotten noticeably better in the past 4 years?  Because it sucked when I was last there.  What kind of person would I be if I kept trying shitty things because maybe this time it will be good.

I just get creamy creations or swoon from heb if I'm in the mood.  Half as convenient, but 10 times better.

I was just razzing you man, no worries.   i don't know what DQ was like 4 years ago b/c I have really only been going to DQ with any regularity the last couple years or so b/c my GF lives pretty close to 2 of them.   and as i have gotten older, store bought ice cream (other than Talenti which is mostly gelato) gives me a stomach ache - i think its one of the preservatives.  so if I want ice cream I go to Tiny's, if I want gelato I go to Gemelli's, and if I want soft serve delicious treats, I go to DQ for the Blizzard.  i also think the quality of DQ's vary from shop to shop.  the one on Burnet Road is family run and it seems well run for a fast food joint.