What do you order at Whataburger?

Topper13

3 hours ago, TankedBevo said:

I just want the A1 Thick and Hearty Burger back for fucks sake. It gets annoying having to order a double meat plain and dry w/ the shredded cheddar cheese, add grilled onions and then use a bottle of A1 thick and hearty sauce I have in the fridge. 

Same.

Although if I'm going to make home customizations I'm ordering a double with cheese and Japs plain and adding refried beans and a handful of Fritos and a dash of hot picante.

• Like 1

On 3/27/2020 at 9:14 PM, Brisketexan said:

That’s why you get them to grill both the onions AND the extra jalapeños.
Come on, people. That’s Coronavirus 101.

Or keep jars of jalapeños in your fridge because I refuse to pay extra for jalapeños since I 86’d the tomatoes.  

19 minutes ago, RMac5 said:

Yeah I agree, it’s supposed to be eaten on the way home. If you need to eat with the family then get two.

I’m not 20 anymore, can’t do 2 #2’s from Whataburger.  

I remember when I was mowing yards as a teenager I could take down that Sonic Brown Bag Special at lunch like it was a joke.  

Had a pico burger with grilled jalapeños today. It was typical Whataburger “good” but I don’t think I’ll order it again. Because of this thread I think I worked myself up for it. My next trip will be back to ol faithful. #5 w grilled japs and mayo, 86 tomato and mustard. Unsweet ice tea and spicy ketchup

On 7/5/2020 at 11:00 AM, futureman said:

never quite as good after being brought home.  

Not always: twenty seconds in the microwave (while still in the wrapper) after arriving at home gets a Whataburger to the perfect temperature and state of cheese meltiness.  The fries or (in my case onion rings), however, absolutely must be eaten immediately upon arrival in the car/truck/suv.

Edited by Dutch

Looks like the new Chicago owners are determined to turn it into crap.  Why are they wasting money on needless remodeling of every restaurant?  At $6+, all the gimmick burgers are already overpriced.  I'm suspicious that the kitchen remodel every store is getting will end up cheapening the quality.  Is faster output with fewer workers the real impetus for the remodeling? 

Eb-pcS6WkAA39VB?format=jpg&name=small

https://austin.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/07-08-20-whataburger-a-frame-new-design-modern-look-renovation/#slide=0W

Spoiler

Whataburger, the San Antonio-based fast-food chain turned Texas treasure, is undergoing a makeover. But the famed burgers and fries aren’t going away, and the trademark orange-and-white color scheme isn’t vanishing. Rather, the restaurants themselves are getting an updated look.

Whataburger recently debuted its first refreshed store in its hometown. The newly remodeled location at 7007 S. Zarzamora St. in South San Antonio is “really a merger of new and old,” James Turcotte, senior vice president of real estate at Whataburger, tells CultureMap.

“We have gone to great lengths and effort to try to maintain the linkage to our past, because we know, particularly in Texas, that people’s grandparents have eaten there, their parents have eaten there, they’re eating there,” Turcotte says of the companywide design overhaul. “We don’t take that loyalty lightly at all. We’re going to great lengths to try to make sure that they feel like the tradition of Whataburger is still there and being maintained, and we’re being good stewards of the brand.”

Turcotte says the renovated store on Zarzamora de-emphasizes Whataburger’s familiar A-frame, adds more glass around the front of the building, updates the décor, and serves up a refashioned kitchen. The interior exudes a modern yet slightly retro feel, highlighted by orange and gray seating, and warm wood finishes.

What’s been the reaction to the updated design?

“As in all things, some people seem to love it and some had some maybe less-favorable comments. But you know, that’s just the internet, I guess,” Turcotte says.

At the moment, two other San Antonio locations are undergoing makeovers, he says. Over the next eight to 10 years, all of Whataburger’s existing restaurants will get the new treatment. The chain comprises more than 700 company-owned stores and nearly 130 franchised stores in 10 states.

Turcotte says the Zarzamora location received what he calls a “super remodel.” That store was gutted and rebuilt, and some of the other locations will be as well. The rest of the existing restaurants will get less of a face-lift: either an upgraded exterior, kitchen, and dining room, or an upgraded exterior and kitchen.

Meanwhile, the first prototype for brand-new Whataburger stores is under construction in Bellmead, near Waco; it’s set to open in August or September. A rendering of the prototype shows no A-frame. Instead, an A-frame architectural element pops up behind the chain’s “W” logo above the front entrance. Also, the exterior dramatically scales back the iconic orange-and-white color palette.

Turcotte says Whataburger has been shifting away from the A-frame format in recent years, in part because real estate developers and city planners balk at it. “It’s a constant challenge to try to evolve but maintain the links to your past,” he says.

Meanwhile, the interior of brand-new stores will be similar to the décor at the Zarzamora store.

Next year, “virtually” all newly built stores will incorporate the prototype design, Turcotte says. Twenty-five new stores are on tap for 2021.

Turcotte guarantees that aside from the introduction of limited-time menu items, the restaurant makeovers won’t include menu changes.

“We know we’re a burger company, and we’re focused on burgers, fries, and drinks. And we want to make sure that that’s what our customers can always count on us for,” he says.

Turcotte says Whataburger plans to expand into the Kansas City and Tennessee markets while bulking up its presence across the South. As part of the expansion, Whataburger is franchising restaurants for the first time in almost 20 years.

As you might expect, Whataburger continues to look for growth opportunities in Texas, where it was born in 1950. In June 2019, Chicago-based investment firm BDT Capital Partners purchased a majority stake in Whataburger. 

“Even though most of our stores are here in Texas, we still feel like there’s a lot of opportunity for us to continue to grow in Texas markets. Texas is still one of the most dynamic growth states in the country, and we continue to see a lot of other brands come to Texas to try to take advantage of that,” Turcotte says. “So in no way, shape, or form should anybody think that we’re abandoning Texas to run off and do other things. We very much understand that this is a core market for us and will be for a long time.”

Edited by clapclapclap
Looks like that guy dragging something has honed in on the abandoned child. They're turning Whataburger into Comet Pizza,

4 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

At $6+, all the gimmick burgers are already overpriced. 

Reveal hidden contents

Whataburger, the San Antonio-based fast-food chain turned Texas treasure, is undergoing a makeover. But the famed burgers and fries aren’t going away, and the trademark orange-and-white color scheme isn’t vanishing. Rather, the restaurants themselves are getting an updated look.

Whataburger recently debuted its first refreshed store in its hometown. The newly remodeled location at 7007 S. Zarzamora St. in South San Antonio is “really a merger of new and old,” James Turcotte, senior vice president of real estate at Whataburger, tells CultureMap.

“We have gone to great lengths and effort to try to maintain the linkage to our past, because we know, particularly in Texas, that people’s grandparents have eaten there, their parents have eaten there, they’re eating there,” Turcotte says of the companywide design overhaul. “We don’t take that loyalty lightly at all. We’re going to great lengths to try to make sure that they feel like the tradition of Whataburger is still there and being maintained, and we’re being good stewards of the brand.”

Turcotte says the renovated store on Zarzamora de-emphasizes Whataburger’s familiar A-frame, adds more glass around the front of the building, updates the décor, and serves up a refashioned kitchen. The interior exudes a modern yet slightly retro feel, highlighted by orange and gray seating, and warm wood finishes.

“As in all things, some people seem to love it and some had some maybe less-favorable comments. But you know, that’s just the internet, I guess,” Turcotte says.

At the moment, two other San Antonio locations are undergoing makeovers, he says. Over the next eight to 10 years, all of Whataburger’s existing restaurants will get the new treatment. The chain comprises more than 700 company-owned stores and nearly 130 franchised stores in 10 states.

Turcotte says the Zarzamora location received what he calls a “super remodel.” That store was gutted and rebuilt, and some of the other locations will be as well. The rest of the existing restaurants will get less of a face-lift: either an upgraded exterior, kitchen, and dining room, or an upgraded exterior and kitchen.

Meanwhile, the first prototype for brand-new Whataburger stores is under construction in Bellmead, near Waco; it’s set to open in August or September. A rendering of the prototype shows no A-frame. Instead, an A-frame architectural element pops up behind the chain’s “W” logo above the front entrance. Also, the exterior dramatically scales back the iconic orange-and-white color palette.

Turcotte says Whataburger has been shifting away from the A-frame format in recent years, in part because real estate developers and city planners balk at it. “It’s a constant challenge to try to evolve but maintain the links to your past,” he says.

Meanwhile, the interior of brand-new stores will be similar to the décor at the Zarzamora store.

Next year, “virtually” all newly built stores will incorporate the prototype design, Turcotte says. Twenty-five new stores are on tap for 2021.

Turcotte guarantees that aside from the introduction of limited-time menu items, the restaurant makeovers won’t include menu changes.

“We know we’re a burger company, and we’re focused on burgers, fries, and drinks. And we want to make sure that that’s what our customers can always count on us for,” he says.

Turcotte says Whataburger plans to expand into the Kansas City and Tennessee markets while bulking up its presence across the South. As part of the expansion, Whataburger is franchising restaurants for the first time in almost 20 years.

As you might expect, Whataburger continues to look for growth opportunities in Texas, where it was born in 1950. In June 2019, Chicago-based investment firm BDT Capital Partners purchased a majority stake in Whataburger. 

“Even though most of our stores are here in Texas, we still feel like there’s a lot of opportunity for us to continue to grow in Texas markets. Texas is still one of the most dynamic growth states in the country, and we continue to see a lot of other brands come to Texas to try to take advantage of that,” Turcotte says. “So in no way, shape, or form should anybody think that we’re abandoning Texas to run off and do other things. We very much understand that this is a core market for us and will be for a long time.”

I guess you could get 32 nuggets from BK or some shit.

$9 and change for a full meal at WB is not a bad price, IMHO.

Edited by slorch

This is the current "All-Time Favorites" list:

-Mushroom Swiss (GTFO and get the Green Chile Double in its place STAT)

-Sweet and Spicy Bacon  (since this is an inferior version of the A1 T&H, can we just get the original and superior version? Maybe there is a licensing issue with Kraft over the A1 sauce?)

-Patty Melt (I'm ok with this one on the list)

-Honey BBQ Chicken Strip Sammich (this one too)

The Chorizo and Chophouse Cheddar Burgers are also welcome to make an appearance every now then as well. 

Edited by Dutch
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, Dutch said:

This is the current "All-Time Favorites" list:

-Mushroom Swiss (GTFO and get the Green Chile Double in its place STAT)

-Sweet and Spicy Bacon  (since this is an inferior version of the A1 T&H, can we just get the original and superior version? Maybe there is a licensing issue with Kraft over the A1 sauce?)

-Patty Melt (I'm ok with this one on the list)

-Honey BBQ Chicken Strip Sammich (this one too)

The Chorizo and Chophouse Cheddar Burgers are also welcome to make an appearance every now then as well. 

mushroom swiss on texas toast (all specialty burgers are better on texas toast) with grilled jalapenos slams

• Like 1

I don’t give a fuck what the building looks like. I almost never eat in the store anyway. The only thing I care about is the burger. It’s tasted the same every time I’ve gone since the whole Chicago purchase.

Also, best specialty burger is the patty melt.

• Like 3

Looks like the new Chicago owners are determined to turn it into crap.  Why are they wasting money on needless remodeling of every restaurant?  At $6+, all the gimmick burgers are already overpriced.  I'm suspicious that the kitchen remodel every store is getting will end up cheapening the quality.  Is faster output with fewer workers the real impetus for the remodeling? 
Eb-pcS6WkAA39VB?format=jpg&name=small
https://austin.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/07-08-20-whataburger-a-frame-new-design-modern-look-renovation/#slide=0W

Spoiler

Looks like the migration to the north has begun

Excellent

8 hours ago, Mac8111 said:

So I have seen two ads on FB For Whataburger testing a spicy chicken sandwich. Have not found it yet though. I sent them an email.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like it's only in Florida at the moment.

whataburgerspicychick.jpg

6 hours ago, Both Tacos said:

Breakfast burger isn't available in the app anymore, nor is it t on the menu.
Thankfully they can still make it if you ask. Disaster averted.

kinda like how the chicken taco left the menu for about a decade

• 3 weeks later...