Lady reclines seat on plane, guy behind her goes apeshit

Gil Bang

6 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

This thread tells you immediately who's a giant asshole in life who cares nothing but for themselves and who is at least somewhat considerate of others. 

Gotta say not surprised by the posters who fit in the first category 

Exactly, those fuckers who get pissed off because you recline your seat, Jesus Christmas !!!  Control freaks .

7 hours ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

The thing only reclines like 5 degrees, does it really provide THAT much comfort? 

Them I guess it shouldn't provide THAT much discomfort either

3 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

The fucking seat reclines about an inch and a half.  Big fucking deal. 

Exactly.  Big fucking deal.

Edited by NeverMarryAStripper
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

As an occasional seat recliner due to disc issues in my back, I’ve previously been unsympathetic both in this thread and shaggy to the seat recline complainers because that’s how the plane seats are designed to work. However this post has single handedly completely changed my view. Props for a great analogy.

no, it's an absolutely shitty analogy.  

so you choose to go to that extremely rare restaurant that still permits smoking.  then you demand that the house rules suddenly change, just for you.  then you call the smokers selfish for balking?

I don't smoke, and don't like being around it.  but if I make a choice to go where smokers are granted an exception to do their thing, I accept the circumstances or go somewhere else.

for the record, I don't recline much or often.  but I do have recurring shoulder pain, so if a particular airplane's seat is pushing my head too far forward and firing it up, you're goddamn right I'm going to recline.

I'm not short, and I have a bad knee.  so what I do is book a seat with extra leg room where I can put my bad leg in the aisle when I need to.  it's not hard.  

you'd rather be a victim and leave it up to a bunch strangers to service your special needs.

hell.  I'll always give you the first exit row.  you get your special space and neither you nor the person in front of you can recline.  should be heaven, right?

• Like 1

no, it's an absolutely shitty analogy.  
so you choose to go to that extremely rare restaurant that still permits smoking.  then you demand that the house rules suddenly change, just for you.  then you call the smokers selfish for balking?
I don't smoke, and don't like being around it.  but if I make a choice to go where smokers are granted an exception to do their thing, I accept the circumstances or go somewhere else.
for the record, I don't recline much or often.  but I do have recurring shoulder pain, so if a particular airplane's seat is pushing my head too far forward and firing it up, you're goddamn right I'm going to recline.
I'm not short, and I have a bad knee.  so what I do is book a seat with extra leg room where I can put my bad leg in the aisle when I need to.  it's not hard.  
you'd rather be a victim and leave it up to a bunch strangers to service your special needs.
hell.  I'll always give you the first exit row.  you get your special space and neither you nor the person in front of you can recline.  should be heaven, right?

Nope not the scenario I was thinking about at all. I was thinking back to when you could smoke everywhere and how much it pissed me off that I had to breath their effing smoke and go home with ashtray smell. It was all legal but it was bs. We all had to suffer because a bunch of dipshits couldn’t control their addictions.

Just now, Dbeasy said:

Nope not the scenario I was thinking about at all. I was thinking back to when you could smoke everywhere and how much it pissed me off that I had to breath their effing smoke and go home with ashtray smell. It was all legal but it was bs. We all had to suffer because a bunch of dipshits couldn’t control their addictions.

Hell I've got an airline seat in my living room on full recline as we speak !!

Microcosm of society - she's being inconsiderate to me, so I have free rein a moral obligation to be a bigger raging cunt to her!  Because I can't be uncomfortable temporarily in a place where everyone else is also uncomfortable!  

Some of you motherfuckers need to relax and live by the "2 drink minimum at the airport bar, 1 drink minimum on the plane" rule.  Or pay a little extra to sit up front so your reclining rage spittle doesn't contaminate the cabin.

11 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

my bad for assuming you were thinking of a scenario that's actually relevant, today.

either way, you still had choices, back then.

Thank you for volunteering not to recline!   where are they gonna put the statue?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Paco said:
19 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:
im 6'3 and i dont recline. people suck. good for him. 

You were 6'4" on the other thread about seat reclining.

maybe he aged and shrunk since then?

9 hours ago, Moby Ric said:

I recline.  But I also have status and don't sit with the lolpoors.  

A couple months ago I was in first on either an American Eagle flight on a Bombardier, configured with 1 seat on one side, 2 on the other. But it might've been an Alaska flight on an Embraer with the same config. I'm 6'3" and the ~5'7" guy in front of me suddenly fully reclined just after take-off and he practically had the back of his head in my lap. I will often recline mine just a smidge -- so little that it's difficult for anyone to notice -- because I have a long torso and a very slight recline makes a big difference to my back, but I've never fully reclined on a domestic flight and I seriously couldn't believe those seats reclined so much. Fortunately the row of 2 seats across from him was totally vacant so I just moved instead of asking him to move up.

TLDR - the exit row can be better than first depending on the metal and the route.

Edited by Chopper

I'm a no recliner, but sometimes you have to accept that you're not going to be comfortable on a flight. International I usually go for bulkhead seats (preferably a two seater row on the left or right if available) which brings up another issue. What's the consensus on propping feet up on the bulkhead? I'm talking shoes on or socks at a minimum.  I've heard that his is also bad manners.

Some people will immediately recline fully upon takeoff. And then throughout the duration of the flight, you will see their seat rocking as they repeatedly try to force their seat to recline even further back.

Dumb fuck, that's as far as it goes. You'd think they would realize it after the first, or second, or fifth time they violently try to recline back even more. 

Edited by TornACL

3 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

The net gain of the recliner is small compared to the net annoyance of the person behind them. Thus, reclining has a net negative benefit to the passengers as a whole. 

If you have to work on a laptop during a flight in economy class, and the person in front of you reclines, you're done working for the duration of the flight. It's impossible.

At that point I close the laptop, order two Woodfords, and spend the rest of the flight tenderly blowing whiskey burps at their head. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Hollywood said:

I am more of a slight recline guy. Just enough to take that 90 degree angle feeling out of the flight, but not too far that they could rest their chin on my headrest. 

Why is this not the common response? Because we live in a society of me versus them. It's not difficult, be considerate of the people around you.

I fly SW a lot for business, and pay for the upgraded seat assignment, because I'm 6'4, as is every other Surly poster.  I pay the extra fee for early boarding FOR THAT SPECIAL SEAT IN THE EMERGENCY ROW that has nothing in front of it. It is a gift from God.  If your'e ahead of me and take that seat and are under 6 feet, a POX on you and your family.  

Someone did this to me recently.  He was short, Attendant gave me the head shake like "sorry, guy's an asshole"

Edited by Mach 1

Why is this not the common response? Because we live in a society of me versus them. It's not difficult, be considerate of the people around you.
I fly SW a lot for business, and pay for the upgraded seat assignment, because I'm 6'4, as is every other Surly poster.  I pay the extra fee for early boarding FOR THAT SPECIAL SEAT IN THE EMERGENCY ROW that has nothing in front of it. It is a gift from God.  If your'e ahead of me and take that seat and are under 6 feet, a POX on you and your family.  
Someone did this to me recently.  He was short, Attendant gave me the head shake like "sorry, guy's an asshole"

I wonder what his surly handle was

10 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

People who argue that they should recline all they want because the seat is capable of reclining are inconsiderate cunts and are the reason airlines are limiting the option on future planes. 

The car goes to 200, so I’m driving 200. Idiocy 

Logic and rules  ... how do they work ?  Your analogy fails because the law says you can't go 200. There is no airline rule that says you can't recline more than a certain amount.

And as for the post above that reclining is a net negative for all passengers is speaking out of their ass. My neck and back benefit from the reline feature on longer flights. 

Edited by Onboard 2.0

2 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Logic and rules  ... how do they work ?  Your analogy fails because the law says you can't go 200. There is no airline rule that says you can't recline more than a certain amount.

And as for the post above that reclining is a net negative for all passengers is speaking out of their ass. My neck and back benefit from the reline feature on longer flights. 

Okay, let me rephrase for the analogy police. A homeowner leaves a bowl of candy out for Halloween revelers. There is no sign saying you have to take one piece of candy, or that you can't take all the candy. But just because you can take all the candy, it doens't mean you should. Because you'd be an inconsiderate cunt. 

Just because you can do something, it doesn't mean you should. 

Yes, if she really wanted to recline, she should of asked the gentlman if he would be okay with it. But she should of noticed he couldn't recline, and been like, man I bet it would suck if I reclined. I guess I will just have to be uncomfortable this flight.

Just now, Neonmoon said:

Okay, let me rephrase for the analogy police. A homeowner leaves a bowl of candy out for Halloween revelers. There is no sign saying you have to take one piece of candy, or that you can't take all the candy. But just because you can take all the candy, it doens't mean you should. Because you'd be an inconsiderate cunt. 

Yes, if she really wanted to recline, she should of asked the gentlman if he would be okay with it. But she should of noticed he couldn't recline, and been like, man I bet it would suck if I reclined. I guess I will just have to be uncomfortable this flight.

Citizens arrest citizens arrest !!

No, you don't need to ask the person behind you if you can reline your seat. I'm sorry that's just not how it works. I've never ever ever in 35 years of flying  heard a person ask the person behind them if it was OK to recline their seat.  

Now if I was sitting in my seat, and reclined, and the person behind me asked me not to I'd oblige them if they were really tall or over weight, other than that nope.

If your'e at a football game standing up, cheering your team on and the person  behind you tells you to sit down, do you ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

Do you also ask the person next to you if it's okay if you turn on your light, adjust your air vent, or open/close the window shade if you're in the window seat, or are those features just there to not be used also?  All the fat people should also ask my permission before they sit next to me a let their huge fupa bleed into my space.  I also find it extremely annoying when I'm in my usual aisle seat and one of the inconsiderate bastards on my row needs to pee.  Why didn't you pee before you got on the plane, and maybe don't drink that coke next time. It's not like you really need those empty calories anyway.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Exactly.  Big fucking deal.

It does.  It's exacerbated on the back end and it's not the leg space. It's the tray table.  I want to rest my head on that and nap, but when the chair is reclined it smashes into my head.

Plane seats are tiny, why eat into your fellow man's already shitty allotted space?

I usually select off time flights that have the highest probability of being less full/empty.  I also know most people try to better their seat by moving further up on the plane before the flight.  When not a full flight I often pick the seats on the last row or close to get the empty row.  It works a fair amount of the time.  I often at least get the empty seat next to me.

So when i do have someone sitting behind me I tend to notice who they are.  If they are tall, not often, i tend to not lean back.  If its a kid or short person, f them.  The comfort is minimal so most of the time i don't even remember the option.    

All that said in a recent flight overseas the whole row in front of me was empty.  This dumb bitch leaves her seat from the front to come to the back and, of all the empty seats, decides to sit in the one right in front of me and leans back.  Fuck her.  That dumb bitch got a knee in the back a few times from this 6'2 mf'er.  

59 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

All that said in a recent flight overseas the whole row in front of me was empty.  This dumb bitch leaves her seat from the front to come to the back and, of all the empty seats, decides to sit in the one right in front of me and leans back.  Fuck her.  That dumb bitch got a knee in the back a few times from this 6'2 mf'er.  

You would’ve been well within your rights to pop the emergency exit open and toss her out at 30,000 feet.

14 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Does it change anything that now she apparently is going to press charges against the guy, demand the flight attendant is fired and claims she has had to get x-rays, has constant headaches and has had to take time off work from the injuries of the encounter???

they should be forced to get married and live with each other in misery for the rest of their years.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2020 at 6:03 AM, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Seat recliners remind me of smokers who smoke in restaurants that still allow smoking.

"its my god given right to press that button, just like its my god given right to smoke in that restaurant. if you dont like it, eat and breathe elsewhere"

I know this is supposed to be an indictment of reclining, but I don’t understand how. Of COURSE people who smoke should do so if they want to in a restaurant that allows it. And, yes, if you don’t like that, DON’T go to a restaurant where smoking is allowed. I’m not sure why that is controversial or even inconsiderate.

And I say that as a non-smoker who doesn’t really want to breathe that in during my meal. But I also recognize the world doesn’t revolve around me.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, RollLeft said:

spacer.png

• Like 1

On 2/13/2020 at 1:31 PM, Bartles said:

AA seats are so bad half the time I end up reclined without even knowing it. Then the flight attendant has to raise her voice to get me to fix it for landing, and the person behind me is even more pissed off that I didn't realize what happened.

The older Southwest seats do the same thing every now and then.  

18 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Does it change anything that now she apparently is going to press charges against the guy, demand the flight attendant is fired and claims she has had to get x-rays, has constant headaches and has had to take time off work from the injuries of the encounter???

No, she was always a bitch.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bert Orange said:

I’m tall. I preemptively ask those in front of me to just warn me in advance and that I have no issue with a warning. 

Yep, and if someone behind me is tall, and or large/big I wouldn't recline, especially if they ask nicely, but the vibe here is I don't like people reclining their seat, so they shouldn't. That and you don't slam your seat back, t's a slow push back.

The whole "but the seats are able to recline for a reason" argument fails to acknowledge that sometimes a very short person or child is behind you, or that seat is empty, which would make a good time to recline. So the button can still be there for a legit purpose, but you can still be an ass for doing it in some/most situations.

25 minutes ago, Bert Orange said:

I’m tall. I preemptively ask those in front of me to just warn me in advance and that I have no issue with a warning. 

You could just sell half of your bourbon collection, use the proceeds to travel first class for the rest of your life, and never have to deal wit such trivial matters ever again.

29 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

The whole "but the seats are able to recline for a reason" argument fails to acknowledge that sometimes a very short person or child is behind you, or that seat is empty, which would make a good time to recline. So the button can still be there for a legit purpose, but you can still be an ass for doing it in some/most situations.

Nope 

On 2/13/2020 at 3:25 PM, Eggo said:

I would much rather deal with the recliner in front of me than the obese fuck behind me who has to use my headrest to climb their fat asses out to go to the bathroom. 

You don't like it when they yank your seat back to unwedge their considerable girth from their seat?