Lady reclines seat on plane, guy behind her goes apeshit

Gil Bang

On 2/13/2020 at 3:56 PM, Junior Miller said:

This thread tells you immediately who's a giant asshole in life who cares nothing but for themselves and who is at least somewhat considerate of others. 

Gotta say not surprised by the posters who fit in the first category 

I bet you meet a lot of assholes in your everyday life, huh?

18 hours ago, formermav43 said:

I know this is supposed to be an indictment of reclining, but I don’t understand how. Of COURSE people who smoke should do so if they want to in a restaurant that allows it. And, yes, if you don’t like that, DON’T go to a restaurant where smoking is allowed. I’m not sure why that is controversial or even inconsiderate.

And I say that as a non-smoker who doesn’t really want to breathe that in during my meal. But I also recognize the world doesn’t revolve around me.

Holy Christ this ^

I wish I could rep this more than just once.

• Like 2

On 2/13/2020 at 9:13 AM, Hollywood said:

I am more of a slight recline guy. Just enough to take that 90 degree angle feeling out of the flight, but not too far that they could rest their chin on my headrest. 

Same here.  As for people reclining in front of me — I wish they wouldn’t, but not much I can do about it.

Now the guys that try to push up the aisle to get ahead when you get to the gate.....

11 minutes ago, AustinMT said:

Same here.  As for people reclining in front of me — I wish they wouldn’t, but not much I can do about it.

Now the guys that try to push up the aisle to get ahead when you get to the gate.....

Now THAT is surly rage worthy.  Basic common courtesy to wait your turn. Had a lady do it last week, and she was pretty arrogant about it, as in fuck you people I'm going ahead of you.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2020 at 11:05 PM, 6th Street said:

Especially if the dude behind you is 6 feet or taller. Their legroom is already tight 

Everyone should be considerate.  However, I'm not sure why someone in front of a tall person who paid the same amount or more for their seat, should have to yield to someone behind them who was too cheap to purchase a seat that is more suitable for their body.

If we paid per pound or per inch of height, then taller people would have a valid argument against recliners.  Pay for first class or pay for the seat in front of you if you want it to go unused.  You know exactly how much space you are going to get when you bought the cheapest ticket possible.  Your 300 pound ass is using up more jet fuel than that 150 pound lady as well.  At least fat people know its their problem and are somewhat apologetic when they roll over the armrest into the passenger's space next to them.  It isn't any other passenger's job to accommodate someone else who is too tall for their seat either.

My knee gets fucked up on long flights anyway, and this is made worse when someone reclines, but only slightly worse.  The only beef I have with recliners is when they slam it back when I have my drink on the tray table.  Check first and recline slowly and we are all good.  I do the same for the person behind me.

There are a lot of poor extra tall people on here.  Sounds like y'all made some bad life decisions and squandered that extra income 6'6" is supposed to get you.

• Like 1

Now THAT is surly rage worthy.  Basic common courtesy to wait your turn. Had a lady do it last week, and she was pretty arrogant about it, as in fuck you people I'm going ahead of you.
People like that are the reason i get out of my seat and stand in the aisle when the plane pulls in. Feels good to stretch and i love blocking fuckers like that.
  • Like 1

All you people arguing that because the recline button exists is all the reason you need to use it to its full ability, damn the comfort of the person behind you, what would you do if you're walking on a public sidewalk and someone else who feels just as strongly as you that they have a right to that path is walking in the opposite direction?  We are all forced to share public space on occasion; it shouldn't be too much to ask you to be polite or civil.

Edited by Chopper
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
3 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

People like that are the reason i get out of my seat and stand in the aisle when the plane pulls in. Feels good to stretch and i love blocking fuckers like that.

You sir are the wind beneath my wings.

6 hours ago, AustinMT said:

...Now the guys that try to push up the aisle to get ahead when you get to the gate.....

especially when they sigh and act put out that they have to wait 10 seconds while i to get my carry on down.  He obviously was "going to miss his flight" according to him.  So in this instance I let this asshole by. 

The priceless look on his face when i casually stroll up to the same flight after him,as our next leg, and they let me walk in and board while he gets to wait in whatever shitty group he's in made me smile.  Fk you dumb mfer.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Chopper said:

All you people arguing that because the recline button exists is all the reason you need to use it to its full ability, damn the comfort of the person behind you, what would you do if you're walking on a public sidewalk and someone else who feels just as strongly as you that they have a right to that path is walking in the opposite direction?  We are all forced to share public space on occasion; it shouldn't be too much to ask you to be polite or civil.

The shitty analogy was already covered up thread regarding restaurants that allow smoking.

• Fuck You 1

I fly quite a bit and have never hit the recline button. What’s the point? It doesn’t provide the recliner enough relief to justify getting into the space behind. However, if the dick in front of me wants to recline, then I just deal with it. Even in 1st class, it has never occurred to me to recline.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Chopper said:

There is a well defined, widely accepted method to using the sidewalk - in the US, walk on right side.  As evidenced by this thread, there is no well defined  widely accepted method of reclining on an airplane.

On 2/14/2020 at 6:47 AM, Onboard 2.0 said:

Citizens arrest citizens arrest !!

No, you don't need to ask the person behind you if you can reline your seat. I'm sorry that's just not how it works. I've never ever ever in 35 years of flying  heard a person ask the person behind them if it was OK to recline their seat.  

Now if I was sitting in my seat, and reclined, and the person behind me asked me not to I'd oblige them if they were really tall or over weight, other than that nope.

If your'e at a football game standing up, cheering your team on and the person  behind you tells you to sit down, do you ?

Tall maybe.  I'd tell fattie to mix in a salad.  Or, if it was a 20 something mexican fattie, I'd ask for her number for my friend Vic. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, shakahorn said:

There is a well defined, widely accepted method to using the sidewalk - in the US, walk on right side.  As evidenced by this thread, there is no well defined  widely accepted method of reclining on an airplane.

You've made too many assumptions in your statement. Planes fly worldwide. Any person from any culture could be seated behind or in front of you. Sidewalks aren't always wide enough to accommodate 2 persons. Also, is it as well-defined or widely accepted as you state? Such custom is certainly not accepted nor practiced by all. A stroll in London or NYC would perhaps be illustrative. A debate about it though is not necessary here.

Also did someone already mention the Delta CEO said the polite and proper thing to do is request the assent of the person behind before reclining? I will also say to the full-recliners, fuck-you-to-the-person-behind-me types, as airplanes get reconfigured and seat frames made lighter, the recline button will be going away. Spirit has already done away with it. This incident just may cause airlines to re-examine the issue sooner rather than later.

Pigs get fed. Hogs get slaughtered.

Edited by Chopper

On 2/15/2020 at 9:42 AM, Onboard 2.0 said:

I happen to be getting on a flight in College Station and RC Slocum was waiting to get on it as well.  RC is getting up in years and is not in group 1 or 2.  Some guy when the lady starts to make announcements rushed up to the boarding line and basically shoulder checked RC.  This is a rinky dink little airport and boarding is pretty simple.  I did not think the guy was going to make it on the plane alive.  Slocum, and pretty much every aggy glared his ass down while boarding, and the guy in his seat had this I don't speak english or why is everyone looking at me uncomfortable grin on his face.  CSB.

22 hours ago, Chopper said:

Spirit has already done away with it.

What better way to spend 3 hours than to be stuck on a plane with really cheap ass people. I wouldn't use Spirit as any benchmark for the airline industry. No one willingly flies Spirit. People fly them because they are cheap and nickel and dime for any/everything.

13 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

What better way to spend 3 hours than to be stuck on a plane with really cheap ass people. I wouldn't use Spirit as any benchmark for the airline industry. No one willingly flies Spirit. People fly them because they are cheap and nickel and dime for any/everything.

People willingly fly Spirit once.  I mean, how bad could it be?  Once they get the answer to that question, 95% never fly Spirit again.

On 2/14/2020 at 10:32 AM, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

It does.  It's exacerbated on the back end and it's not the leg space. It's the tray table.  I want to rest my head on that and nap, but when the chair is reclined it smashes into my head.

Plane seats are tiny, why eat into your fellow man's already shitty allotted space?

You think people shouldn't recline because you want to rest your head on the trey table and take a nappy-poo like a toddler? 

If you have strong feelings about this either way, you kinda seem like a lil bitch baby. 

• Like 1

On 2/15/2020 at 12:53 PM, Chewbacca said:
On 2/15/2020 at 9:42 AM, Onboard 2.0 said:

I really don't get the people that automatically bounce from their seats as soon as the seat belt light goes off at the gate. Then start opening up all the overhead bins, trying to get their luggage out, almost hitting people in the head still sitting and squeezing it between them and the other knothead in front of them that also is doing the same thing, all while being in row 30. Just chill out people. It all starts up at the front and I assure you, you will get out of the plane. 

Just now, Both Tacos said:

I really don't get the people that automatically bounce from their seats as soon as the seat belt light goes off at the gate. Then start opening up all the overhead bins, trying to get their luggage out, almost hitting people in the head still sitting and squeezing it between them and the other knothead in front of them that also is doing the same thing, all while being in row 30. Just chill out people. It all starts up at the front and I assure you, you will get out of the plane. 

I don't get any bags out until I'm ready to depart.  Just like to get up and stretch my legs.  After a few hours of sitting, I'm ready to stand up.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Both Tacos said:

That's a good sign of people who do not fly often. That extra 30 seconds is worth being a selfish idiot.

Wow, I didn't realize this was an actual thing. Huh. I'm tall and people have reclined in front of me hundreds of times. It sometimes irritates me depending upon my mood, but I never thought I had any right to do a damned thing about it, and never have. It's part and parcel with not getting into first class on a flight. What a bizarre argument.

Slightly related to some of the thoughts on this thread, but I was doing a same day Houston-Phoenix turnaround last Monday. Makes for a pretty long fucking day because the meeting in between the flights was complex and I had to have my shit together and be fully mentally present. So I bought an upgrade on the way back for $149+tax. Fuck it.

Sitting in the second row in first class and the guy directly behind me proceeds to get rip-roaring drunk on the flight back. Runs the flight attendant back for more drinks like 6-7 times. Good for him.

Anyway, the same flight attendant, on the descent into Houston, has a conversation with the lady in front of me, and they touch on some political stuff as it pertains to Trump/Pelosi, and then they venture into the 737MAX stuff and Trump shutting it down like a hero (them saying it, I don't pay attention to politics). The guy behind me, a semi-fan of Trump, hears only bits and pieces of the discussion. The discussion between the women was decidedly pro-Trump, but Trump is an asshole, kind of way. Dude behind me decides he's going to let "this political bitch have it. She needs to know her goddamned place. I don't need fucking actors or flight attendants telling me how to think". The woman seated next to him (who was hot and this guy looked like an Arkansas hillbilly), who he's coaxed into drinking with him after having just met him, goads him to give the FA the what-for.

At that point, look, I've had a long a day. While I enjoy chaos, I've got multiple business things going right now and I was therefore not drinking, so I just want to get off the fucking plane without watching some sort of crazy scene go viral. We land, and for the first time in my life, I was the asshole rushing to grab my stuff and get to the door, because it was going to be ugly.

I get off, and I'm walking down to the gate, and you can hear what sounds like a fucking melee happening behind me. They called for gate assistance. Me and 3 other people were off the plane and no one else was getting off. I went about my evening and assumed I'd hear something on the news or in social media. Not a thing. Crazy.

Anyway, tl; dr, I pushed to get off a plane ahead of everybody once and did not feel like an asshole in that instance in doing so. Also, a big knockered flight attendant might have been punched in the face by a drunken hillbilly of a manufacturing salesman, or she may have consussed him with her gigantic rack by bouncing it off of the top of his numb fucking skull. Not sure.

I never recline, because the net gain is negligible at best.  I don't care too much when other do it in front of me, it's just a minor annoyance way down the list of annoyances involved in air travel now.  I always hate it when the recline is broken on a seat and you don't realize until the end of the flight that you've reclined the entire time.

• Like 1

the recline by the person in front of me doesn't bother me.  It's the non-easing the seat back and doing some "jack-in-the-box"explosion into my knees that is a pisser.  You know someone is sitting behind you...have one ounce of awareness/ consideration.

Team Reclining is your right but inconsiderate AF. 

I’m glad there seems to be consensus against aisle rushers when the plane lands. Causing confusion and blocking other people from getting up and getting their overhead bags down is worth deboarding 5 people sooner? That being said, the closest I came to a plane confrontation was when my wife was having emergency surgery when I was away on business. I took the earliest flight back I could, and had a chance to catch and earlier connection at my layover if I sprinted across the airport. I ran toward the front of the plane when we hit the gate bridge, loudly apologizing and explaining the situation, and this old bitch in row 2 shot out in front of me and took her sweet ass time getting her shit and getting out. I said something politely but she basically told me to get fucked. I missed the connection by about two minutes. I hope her loved ones miss their connections when she is on her deathbed. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, irishtexan said:

You think people shouldn't recline because you want to rest your head on the trey table and take a nappy-poo like a toddler? 

If you have strong feelings about this either way, you kinda seem like a lil bitch baby. 

Yes, I want to nap on a plane.  I've got no problem with being a lil bitch baby. 

I always sit on the aisle so I can see how many rows I can get ahead of when we get to the gate. I don't take a carry-on strictly for this reason. I made it all the way to the bulkhead one time, but I kinda grazed a dude backed down to his seat. I started cussing in Spanish so everyone around thought I was crazy and left me alone.

Team No Recline.

2 hours ago, Iceman said:

the recline by the person in front of me doesn't bother me.  It's the non-easing the seat back and doing some "jack-in-the-box"explosion into my knees that is a pisser.  You know someone is sitting behind you...have one ounce of awareness/ consideration.

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Wow, I didn't realize this was an actual thing. Huh. I'm tall and people have reclined in front of me hundreds of times. It sometimes irritates me depending upon my mood, but I never thought I had any right to do a damned thing about it, and never have. It's part and parcel with not getting into first class on a flight. What a bizarre argument.

Slightly related to some of the thoughts on this thread, but I was doing a same day Houston-Phoenix turnaround last Monday. Makes for a pretty long fucking day because the meeting in between the flights was complex and I had to have my shit together and be fully mentally present. So I bought an upgrade on the way back for $149+tax. Fuck it.

Sitting in the second row in first class and the guy directly behind me proceeds to get rip-roaring drunk on the flight back. Runs the flight attendant back for more drinks like 6-7 times. Good for him.

Anyway, the same flight attendant, on the descent into Houston, has a conversation with the lady in front of me, and they touch on some political stuff as it pertains to Trump/Pelosi, and then they venture into the 737MAX stuff and Trump shutting it down like a hero (them saying it, I don't pay attention to politics). The guy behind me, a semi-fan of Trump, hears only bits and pieces of the discussion. The discussion between the women was decidedly pro-Trump, but Trump is an asshole, kind of way. Dude behind me decides he's going to let "this political bitch have it. She needs to know her goddamned place. I don't need fucking actors or flight attendants telling me how to think". The woman seated next to him (who was hot and this guy looked like an Arkansas hillbilly), who he's coaxed into drinking with him after having just met him, goads him to give the FA the what-for.

At that point, look, I've had a long a day. While I enjoy chaos, I've got multiple business things going right now and I was therefore not drinking, so I just want to get off the fucking plane without watching some sort of crazy scene go viral. We land, and for the first time in my life, I was the asshole rushing to grab my stuff and get to the door, because it was going to be ugly.

I get off, and I'm walking down to the gate, and you can hear what sounds like a fucking melee happening behind me. They called for gate assistance. Me and 3 other people were off the plane and no one else was getting off. I went about my evening and assumed I'd hear something on the news or in social media. Not a thing. Crazy.

Anyway, tl; dr, I pushed to get off a plane ahead of everybody once and did not feel like an asshole in that instance in doing so. Also, a big knockered flight attendant might have been punched in the face by a drunken hillbilly of a manufacturing salesman, or she may have consussed him with her gigantic rack by bouncing it off of the top of his numb fucking skull. Not sure.

First, bravo on the only $149 bump to First Class. 

First class has the right and I actually want them to jump up as soon as the seat belt light goes off, so they are ready to get the line going off the plane as soon as the door opens. In fact, the ones who wait till the door opens and then gets up, takes their sweat ass time gathering their things gets me a little surly. 

46 minutes ago, Both Tacos said:

First, bravo on the only $149 bump to First Class. 

First class has the right and I actually want them to jump up as soon as the seat belt light goes off, so they are ready to get the line going off the plane as soon as the door opens. In fact, the ones who wait till the door opens and then gets up, takes their sweat ass time gathering their things gets me a little surly. 

Yeah, I occasionally see upgrade options between $99 and $299. Honestly, if $99 flashes in front of me, I take it every time. It probably means I could have been patient and got the auto-upgrade anyway, but I'll take the peace of mind and be pumped about first class. It's a slippery slope from there. I've never felt like anything above $200 was worth it, and if I'm traveling with wife and/or kids, I've found it hard to figure out the coordinated upgrades for good pricing and usually just pass. This is all on United flying domestically.

People who argue that they should recline all they want because the seat is capable of reclining are inconsiderate cunts and are the reason airlines are limiting the option on future planes. 

The car goes to 200, so I’m driving 200. Idiocy 

In a world of shitty analogies, this stands out.