2020 Texas HS football

LTtxfan

1 hour ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Westlake and LT are the only good teams in the district.  Rattlers can easily get in post season in that group. 

Any further info on why Walsh left Guyer  ?

His son is now an offensive  analyst with us,  family moving for retirement gig  ?  

12 minutes ago, torre said:

Any further info on why Walsh left Guyer  ?

Guyer had been trying to push Walsh out for several years, ever since he got a DWI.  He had actually agreed to resign at one point, but the school wouldn't hire his favorite assistant to replace him, so backed out on the agreement.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/17/2020 at 6:06 PM, torre said:

Read an article he was a friend and greatly respected by Rittiman (outgoing coach) and his mentor is DW Rutledge,  likely received their endorsement.   Still,  for such a prominent program...

Maybe I missed it, but any mention why rittiman left?  

And for the most part, the NEIsd schools are not athletics at all cost.  Theyre more of a "good kids who graduate" type community. 

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

Guyer had been trying to push Walsh out for several years, ever since he got a DWI.  He had actually agreed to resign at one point, but the school wouldn't hire his favorite assistant to replace him, so backed out on the agreement.

I'm not going into specifics but I heard it from someone as close as can be to the situation.there was more shit going on and it was pretty brazen    

5 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

I'm not going into specifics but I heard it from someone as close as can be to the situation.there was more shit going on and it was pretty brazen    

Yeah, I know of one other thing I didn't mention, and it's probably what you're talking about.

7 hours ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Maybe I missed it, but any mention why rittiman left?  

And for the most part, the NEIsd schools are not athletics at all cost.  Theyre more of a "good kids who graduate" type community. 

More money at Heights. 

Madison most definitely does not fit that description. The other schools mostly do, even Roosevelt.

two Judson returning starters transferring to Cornerstone Christian. Hits the trifecta of probably the biggest beefs with the private school setup 

Miller and Caracheo both said they are transferring to Cornerstone because they believe they have a better chance of landing a football scholarship 

there is no better place to get attention than at a top-tier 6A program

Both players said they will receive financial aid to attend the private school.

“I’m pretty sure they’re going to scholarship me,” Caracheo said. “That’s what they’re talking about.”

spacer.png

Both players said that Clayton Guillory, their 7-on-7 coach, was a major influence in their decisions to transfer to Cornerstone. Guillory’s son, Esteban, will be a junior safety for the Warriors this season.

might as well be their uncle

and of course the obligatory  respect my decision.

https://www.kens5.com/article/sports/judson-football-team-loses-two-starting-defensive-players-to-cornerstone/273-1117f240-a4e7-4454-aedf-2df39f027b66 

Edited by Dennis Taylor

On 5/21/2020 at 2:33 PM, Dennis Taylor said:

two Judson returning starters transferring to Cornerstone Christian. Hits the trifecta of probably the biggest beefs with the private school setup 

there is no better place to get attention than at a top-tier 6A program

spacer.png

might as well be their uncle

and of course the obligatory  respect my decision.

https://www.kens5.com/article/sports/judson-football-team-loses-two-starting-defensive-players-to-cornerstone/273-1117f240-a4e7-4454-aedf-2df39f027b66 

Judson getting some of their own medicine. I’m no fan of Cornerstone though, they completely sold their soul to become a sports factory. Sad to see the academic-minded private schools that do things the right way like Central Catholic, Antonian, and Holy Cross get left behind.

• Like 1

Special Memorial Day shoutout to Harlingen High senior QB Jaime Galvan, who has enlisted in the Marine Corps. Outstanding kid on the field and in the classroom his entire time there. Much gratitude to all the other graduating high school seniors everywhere who are enlisting as well. 

SanBenitoMVP.png

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, satyanash said:

This seems somewhat unsavoury...

Don’t see how it’s any different than any other private school with a good football team.

Deion doesnt run and didn’t create this school, it’s been around since the 80s.

Edited by Lonestar88

1 minute ago, Beau Vine said:

Wasn't TC-CH also kicked out of TAPPS last year?

yes they were, but said they were going to break up with tapps anyway

https://www.dallasnews.com/high-school-sports/football/2019/12/18/trinity-christian-cedar-hill-terminated-from-tapps-after-handful-of-alleged-violations-including-use-of-controlled-substance-after-state-championship/

2 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

my kid's school started workouts this morning and their field is right next to a major highway. some Karen driving by called the district office to complain that they were not social distancing. I will be surprised if it doesn't become a daily occurrence     

Wonder if she was on her way to Walmart?

I'd be more excited about this if I thought there would be a 2020 season:

In a UIL Legislative Council meeting on Wednesday morning, UIL executive director Dr. Charles Breithaupt announced the UIL’s ban on live video broadcasts for regular season broadcasts of Friday night football games would be lifted for the 2020 season.

The so-called “Friday night rule” has been in effect since time immemorial, ostensibly as a way to incentivize fans attending the game (and subsequently buying a ticket and concessions) as opposed to staying at home. But with restrictions on attendance seemingly inevitable for Texas high school football games in the fall, the UIL decided to allow the broadcast of Friday night games for the upcoming season.

“Friday nights in Texas are a community event and fundraising for multiple organizations takes place at a football game on Friday,” Breithaupt said. “We believe that should be protected. By lifting the ban now, we will allow time for the schools to negotiate broadcast rights or allow in-house student broadcast teams time to prepare putting together a quality broadcast.”

There are many details to work out with this new allowance. Both schools must agree to the broadcast in advance and all broadcasts must still follow UIL guidelines for radio broadcasts that are posted on the UIL website.

And it’s worth mentioning that this is only for the regular season — the UIL does not own rights to regular season games and won’t be involved in any enforcement activities regarding Friday night broadcasts; that will be the responsibility of the two competing schools. The UIL owns the rights to all playoff games.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, RexWilson said:

I learned today referees for varsity games get paid a % of the gate revenue. I always assumed it was a flat fee.

not an actual percentage, just tiered... basically the bigger the game the more they earn, didn't notice that not capped though $30/5k after top tier...

not bad... but not enough to cover the abuse they take

2020-06-17-18-29-56.png

Edited by MonkeyDoughnut
  • Like 1