2020 Texas HS football

LTtxfan

Got a call last night that my step-son’s position coach tested positive. They did four days of conditioning with him last week. Conditioning is suspended for 14 days.

How are we ever going to actually go back to school in the fall ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, Mac8111 said:

Got a call last night that my step-son’s position coach tested positive. They did four days of conditioning with him last week. Conditioning is suspended for 14 days.

How are we ever going to actually go back to school in the fall ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"School's out for summer"

"School's out forever"

"School's out completely"

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

There's no way that the UIL lets some schools play, is there?  

I mean, seems like it would be a lot easier to manage on a 35-man squad in a small town than an 86-man squad in DFW...

Unless something drastically changes for the better I just don't see any football played this year. 

On 6/27/2020 at 7:45 AM, Laga4 said:

Unless something drastically changes for the better I just don't see any football played this year. 

Yeah.  Unfortunately I have to agree with this.  It'd be great if there was a way to swap calendar locations of football and baseball.

If the students and staff all have to be six feet away from each other, the normal stuff just won't happen.

May not matter if there’s not a season, but I just read that sophomore QB Chris Parson transferred from Duncanville to Red Oak. Parson was Ja’Quinden’s backup last season and started in the state championship game against North Shore after JJ was injured in the semis. He was expected to be Duncanville’s QB this season.

https://www.waxahachietx.com/news/20200626/red-oak-gains-soph-transfer-qb?template=ampart

Round Rock ISD shut down strength camps as of this morning.  No extracurricular activities until in-person classes which have been delayed the first 3 weeks of school until 9/7.  Shit ain't happening, fellas.  This reminds of me of the desperate scrambling hoping to have March Madness right before it got scrapped entirely.

1 hour ago, Scholz said:

Round Rock ISD shut down strength camps as of this morning.  No extracurricular activities until in-person classes which have been delayed the first 3 weeks of school until 9/7.  Shit ain't happening, fellas.  This reminds of me of the desperate scrambling hoping to have March Madness right before it got scrapped entirely.

Westlake shut down as ordered.  

This is just like thinking March madness was going to happen.  Balls.

The Hays school district’s board of trustees on Thursday voted unanimously to retire the rebel mascot at Hays High School.

The measure was recommended by district administrators after results of a survey sent to students, teachers and staff showed that the majority did not agree with the mascot representing the school.

School administrators said they had in previous years tried to change the image of the mascot without changing the name.

The school, until 2000, had used the Confederate flag at official events, and even after it was no longer used officially, was allowed on school property until 2012.

I remember going to a game in 1999 and the band was playing Dixie and Confederate flags were at the top of every seating section.  We were like, "WHAT THE FUCK?"

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Helobious said:

Yeah an overdue wave of name changes & mascot changes are coming. However Donna HS has made it clear for years that they fully intend to be the last school in the country with the Redskins team name. Fitting for that ghetto-ass town. 

Fuck Donna,

Signed,

Weslaco Panther, '08

I'm hopeful that the UIL (and TAPPS then follows them) will push football to Spring and move baseball and track to Fall.  I've seen some reports that ADs have been cold to the idea of swapping traditional seasons because they feel bad that the spring sports (baseball, softball, track)  lost their seasons last year and don't want to move them to this Fall because the virus is still not under control.  Certainly it's true that COVID is still in play but why not move sports that are naturally socially distant to this time and move the contact sport to a few more months away in hopes of getting that contact sport in.  Baseball and softball tournaments have been going on all summer without any major incident that I have heard of.

7 hours ago, orange dream said:

I'm hopeful that the UIL (and TAPPS then follows them) will push football to Spring and move baseball and track to Fall.  I've seen some reports that ADs have been cold to the idea of swapping traditional seasons because they feel bad that the spring sports (baseball, softball, track)  lost their seasons last year and don't want to move them to this Fall because the virus is still not under control.  Certainly it's true that COVID is still in play but why not move sports that are naturally socially distant to this time and move the contact sport to a few more months away in hopes of getting that contact sport in.  Baseball and softball tournaments have been going on all summer without any major incident that I have heard of.

I’ve been told there’s no way they switch fall and spring seasons in Texas. We’ll see. 

The University Interscholastic League made a monumental and rather shochking announcement on Tuesday, delaying the start of all fall activities for the state's two largest classifications, including Texas high school football, by five weeks. The announcement does not change the schedule for the smaller classifications.

For Class 6A and Class 5A, the UIL pushed the start of practice, slated to start August 3, to September 7. The first week of Texas high school football games will now happen on September 24-26, four weeks later than the original August 27-29 start date.

This move has major impacts to all extra-curricular activities across the state of Texas, most notably football. The playoffs for the two largest classifications, which were originally slated to start on November 12, will now begin on Thursday December 3. The UIL state championship games were scheduled for December 16-19 at AT&T Stadium in Arlington; they are now moving to a date TBD in January.

Untouched for now, though, is Class 4A, 3A, 2A and 1A, which will continue as scheduled — practices will start August 3, games will kickoff August 27-29, playoffs begin November 12 and the state championships remain scheduled for mid-late December.

It's a stunning announcement from the UIL, who usually insists on treating all classifications equally.

Another wild card in this scenario: the UIL must navigate local entities that are putting tighter restrictions on things. For example: Hidalgo County (down in the Rio Grande Valley) and Houston ISD have mandated in person learning can’t begin until much later than the Labor Day start the UIL has implemented. In these two areas, extra-curricular activities (sports included) can’t start until in-person learning begins. Will these schools see an even shorter season (or possibly no season), or will the school districts seek to relax those rules around practicing during the virtual learning sessions?

Looking at the athletics calendar as a whole, this move by the UIL to push back the start of the season may be the last available move to ensure a football season gets played in this school year. There may not be another chance to delay the season further; but due to the size of our state and the varying conditions in individual locales, if the season does move forward with its newly scheduled September 7 start, there’s a chance that some school districts won't be able to field football teams this year if the local health situation does not show improvement. 

https://www.texasfootball.com/article/2020/07/21/uil-announces-delayed-start-for-class-6a-and-5a-for-2020-texas-high-school-football-season?ref=home_feature_article

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tex Pete said:

Coaches in Texas have more clout in their ISDs than in most places?

No doubt about that, but I can't believe there are many coaches that think we have a better chance of getting a season in now rather than in March / April. Is there something I'm missing?

5 minutes ago, orange dream said:

No doubt about that, but I can't believe there are many coaches that think we have a better chance of getting a season in now rather than in March / April. Is there something I'm missing?

No clue. I have just been told that the coaches are very unwilling to make the switch at this point. I don't know their reasoning.