2020 Texas HS football

LTtxfan

Riley Gates: State of Texas announces altered high school football schedule

There isn’t anything quite like high school football in the state of Texas. In some areas of the state, it’s just as big of an event — literally and figuratively — as college football is in some cases. But the 2020 season is going to look a bit different for Texas high school football. On Tuesday morning, the University Interscholastic League announced its new schedule for high school sports in the state as a result of the coronavirus pandemic’s impact on school. The changes become effective on August 1 and have drastically impacted all sports, specifically football.

According to the releasee sent out by the UIL, 5A and 6A football teams in the state of Texas cannot begin practices for the upcoming season until September 7, 2020. First day for football games to be played will be September 24 and the State Championships will be held on a day in January of 2021, yet to be determined.

Those teams at the 1A-4A level will have a slightly different schedule that allows them to begin practices and play games sooner. Those teams will be allowed to begin practicing on August 3, 2020 and play games on August 27. The State Championships for those levels of competition will be held from December 16-19. The release from UIL stated that the 5A and 6A conferences will be further delayed, “given the challenges with COVID-19 those communities are facing.”

“Our goal in releasing this plan is to provide a path forward for Texas students and schools,” UIL Executive Director Dr. Charles Breithaupt said in the release. “While understanding situations change and there will likely be interruptions that will require flexibility and patience, we are hopeful this plan allows students to participate in the education-based activities they love in a way that prioritizes safety and mitigates risk of COVID-19 spread.”

The decision by Texas comes almost exactly 24 hours after the state of California announced a delay to the high school football season for teams in that state, too. California’s changes were far more delayed than that in Texas, though, as football will not be played in that state unitl either December of 2020 or January of 2021. The California Interscholastic Federation (CIF) announced the decision in a release, citing that the decision for such a significant delay was because student health and safety was at the, “forefront,” of all decisions.

“We are continuously monitoring the directives and guidelines released from the Governor’s Office, the California Department of Education, the California Department of Public Health, and local county health departments and agencies as these directives and guidelines are followed by our member schools/school districts with student health and safety at the forefront. As these guidelines change, CIF Sections may allow for athletic activity to potentially resume under the summer period rules of the local Section.”

Just a heads up, my son is a JV player in California.  Summer conditioning (10 kids to a coach, staggered timing, 6 foot distancing) will continue until August 13th, then go dormant until December 18th when full on practices go live.  First game January 8th.

All Fall sports moved to Winter, all Winter sports moved to Spring schedule (TBD).

If TX cases don't subside, might see something similar.

I would think it would have to be something like what I kind of expect for the "conference games only" football model. 

Normally college teams play 12 regular season games but would only play 9 for the "2020" season.  Then in 2021 do the same, maybe 10 games.

So over the span of 2 seasons they have played 18 or 19 games instead of 24.    High schools would go from normally playing 20 to 28 games in 2 seasons to playing 16-20.

I'm thinking the time period would be Feb - May 2021 (9 games) and then Mid Sept - Dec 2021 (9 or 10 games).  Not ideal but beats missing a complete season for those whose season / football career would be a complete wash if Fall 2020 gets canceled.

No clue. I have just been told that the coaches are very unwilling to make the switch at this point. I don't know their reasoning.
The reasoning is by switching sports around you run the risk of winter/spring sports losing two seasons which isn't fair to those kids or coaches. Yes, football is king, but the majority of coaches want to do the right things by the kids and not cause a mutiny on the coaching staffs.

5 hours ago, chikin23 said:
On 7/21/2020 at 10:56 AM, Tex Pete said:
No clue. I have just been told that the coaches are very unwilling to make the switch at this point. I don't know their reasoning.

The reasoning is by switching sports around you run the risk of winter/spring sports losing two seasons which isn't fair to those kids or coaches. Yes, football is king, but the majority of coaches want to do the right things by the kids and not cause a mutiny on the coaching staffs.

I know high school and lower level baseball and softball tournaments have been going on all summer without any significant incidents. Same for golf.  No idea on summer track programs.  I hear what you're saying regarding feeling bad that those sports lost a season last year but at that time everything was shut down (stay at home orders) regardless of whether it could be effectively socially distanced or not.  It just makes more sense to move sports that can be socially distanced in an effective manner to play first and continue to delay contact sports. Clearly, I want there to be a football season but even if none of us had any concept of what specific time of year specific sports are "supposed" to be played and we were just shown clips of 15 minutes of each sport and asked to pick the best sports to be played during our current situation I think most everyone would pick baseball/softball, golf and track. 

• Like 1

per a Corpus tv station :

New Falfurrias coach Ruben Garcia sent me this updated schedule for the Jerseys, which only features two and possibly a third game this season:
10-23 vs. San Diego
10-30 @ Bishop
11-6 seeding game (if make playoffs)
Fal will have no practices until Sept. 28th.

That 16-3A Div. I district is being divided into zones to allow some of the other schools to go to an extremely shortened season as well if they choose:
ZONE A:
London
Santa Gertrudis
Lyford
Progreso
ZONE B:
San Diego
Falfurrias
Bishop
**This schedule is tentative as is everything with the coronavirus. Fal could start at a sooner or later date and the district could go back to a normal non-zone schedule depending on whether the UIL keeps its timeline or not.

On 7/17/2020 at 4:25 PM, Scholz said:

They’re having the discussion currently re: Midland Lee Rebels and Midlanders ain’t changing shit guaranteed.

Ahem...well I stand corrected. Never thought I’d see that. Midland Lee Rebels no more.

https://www.cbs7.com/2020/07/27/midland-isd-school-board-to-vote-on-renaming-lee-high-school/

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

That's quite a schedule, hopefully they get all the games in. On a related note, Calallen's district is insanely tough. Calallen, Alice, Beeville Jones, CC Miller, Port Lavaca Calhoun. 

Sticking with the Coastal Bend, interesting article on how Bishop (tiny 3A suburb of Kingsville that hasn't been good at any non-baseball sport since the 90s) hired Louie Rodriguez to be their new coach. He was the offensive coordinator at Bishop Gorman the past 5 years. Tate Martell isn't walking through that door, but if he can make the Badgers win he can win anywhere. 

https://www.caller.com/story/sports/high-school/football/2020/03/31/bishop-cisd-texas-high-school-football-coach-during-coronavirus-pandemic/5090411002/

Woo-Hoo.  I'm watching real, live football right now.  My daughter's boyfriend is an assistant coach at a high school outside of Murfreesboro, TN.  Their first game is streaming right now.  Coaches are wearing masks; refs and players are not.  There are people in the stands, but they're mostly spread out.  

1 hour ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Woo-Hoo.  I'm watching real, live football right now.  My daughter's boyfriend is an assistant coach at a high school outside of Murfreesboro, TN.  Their first game is streaming right now.  Coaches are wearing masks; refs and players are not.  There are people in the stands, but they're mostly spread out.  

I envy you, man. Tennessee high school football sounds divine right now.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, Helobious said:

That's quite a schedule, hopefully they get all the games in. On a related note, Calallen's district is insanely tough. Calallen, Alice, Beeville Jones, CC Miller, Port Lavaca Calhoun. 

Sticking with the Coastal Bend, interesting article on how Bishop (tiny 3A suburb of Kingsville that hasn't been good at any non-baseball sport since the 90s) hired Louie Rodriguez to be their new coach. He was the offensive coordinator at Bishop Gorman the past 5 years. Tate Martell isn't walking through that door, but if he can make the Badgers win he can win anywhere. 

https://www.caller.com/story/sports/high-school/football/2020/03/31/bishop-cisd-texas-high-school-football-coach-during-coronavirus-pandemic/5090411002/

Bishop always seemed like a weird place.  We used to drive down to Harlingen regularly, and we'd go through all those shittly little towns, and then there was Bishop, which had that nice-looking high school (and I believe a sign that said the school was rated Exemplary).

40 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Bishop always seemed like a weird place.  We used to drive down to Harlingen regularly, and we'd go through all those shittly little towns, and then there was Bishop, which had that nice-looking high school (and I believe a sign that said the school was rated Exemplary).

I’ve actually spent a bit of time there. My aunt got a job at TAMUK and lived in Kingsville but sent her kids to Bishop because the schools are a little better. You could pay a fee to enroll your kids there if you lived out of district (no idea if that’s really legal or if they still do it). Pretty much the dictionary definition of Small Town USA as far as the town feel. I still usually stop at that DQ when I’m on my way down to the valley. 

Bishop Badger talk not going away.

wow...pathetic

Surely will impact some Surly 1%ers

SPC Board of Directors Statement Regarding the FALL 2020 Athletic Season:

*   We recognize each of our member schools is under unusual and challenging circumstances regarding each aspect of school operations.
  *   We recognize we are members of a Conference with a wide variance in local conditions, approaches and opinions regarding how to handle these challenging circumstances as they relate to athletic competition.
  *   We recognize our member schools are located in multiple metro areas, spread over a wide geographic area, with varying health conditions, regulations, public opinions and governmental recommendations.

Given the COVID-19 pandemic, the SPC Board of Directors approves the cancellation of the 2020 fall SPC athletic season.

The SPC Board of Directors further approves maintaining existing plans for the winter and spring SPC Championship seasons, and those plans be sustained without alteration and played as currently scheduled consistent with current SPC policies. The Operations Committee and SPC Board of Directors will revisit plans for winter and spring seasons at a later date and determine if any adjustments are required as a result of circumstances at that time.

6 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

i work with several engineers from bishop hs. they all went to aggie and they're all damn good engineers

i lived 1.5 years in bishop during college. very laid back ha 

Edited by tx 3 putt

wow...pathetic
Surely will impact some Surly 1%ers

SPC Board of Directors Statement Regarding the FALL 2020 Athletic Season:

*   We recognize each of our member schools is under unusual and challenging circumstances regarding each aspect of school operations.
  *   We recognize we are members of a Conference with a wide variance in local conditions, approaches and opinions regarding how to handle these challenging circumstances as they relate to athletic competition.
  *   We recognize our member schools are located in multiple metro areas, spread over a wide geographic area, with varying health conditions, regulations, public opinions and governmental recommendations.

Given the COVID-19 pandemic, the SPC Board of Directors approves the cancellation of the 2020 fall SPC athletic season.

The SPC Board of Directors further approves maintaining existing plans for the winter and spring SPC Championship seasons, and those plans be sustained without alteration and played as currently scheduled consistent with current SPC policies. The Operations Committee and SPC Board of Directors will revisit plans for winter and spring seasons at a later date and determine if any adjustments are required as a result of circumstances at that time.  

WTF is SPC?

2 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Dale Murphy is a borderline Hall of Famer.  The SPC is apparently the poot-butt league of Texas HS football.

Awesome sarcasm meter you got there. I too learned of the SPC’s existence yesterday. 

In some Earth-shattering news, La Joya ISD announces their 3 high schools won’t play football this year. La Joya high & Juarez-Lincoln are 6A & the other one is 5A. Not much success there but football is still a decently big deal in that town.

14 minutes ago, NIUHuskies said:

Who is venturing out this Friday? Wife and I looking to head to Wimberley for the tilt against Canyon Lake.

If you go, let me know if there are a billion junior high kids running wild on the concourse as usual.  They said this wasn't going to be allowed this season.

7 hours ago, Helobious said:

Jesus. Calallen HS kicker stabbed to death at a Walmart. Attacked at random. 20 year old mentally ill man in custody. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.caller.com/amp/3427138001

So the guy in custody is actually also a former Calallen football player, who graduated right before the victim transferred to the school. Police & witnesses saying the 2 individuals didn’t know each other at all. Crazy. Wonder if the kid was wearing a football t-shirt or something that set the crazy dude off somehow.