2020 Texas HS football

LTtxfan

On 9/19/2020 at 9:08 AM, cafe society said:

A couple of weeks ago I couldn't remember who pasted Mason on opening night last season;  it was Wall then, too.  Mason's demise is mystifying.

I believe all their losses are to 3A teams.  Seems like they schedule 3A teams early on every year before going into 2A, but yes, the results are not encouraging.

No one asked for it, everyone’s getting it. Helobious’ Valley Preseason Rankings COVID edition:

1. Edinburg Vela - They’re on a poor man’s 2008-2011 Harlingen run right now. No one in the RGV can touch them, unless they shoot themselves in the dick. 

2. Sharyland Pioneer - Lost a lot but they have Marburger 

3. Mission - Jeremy Duran is the 3rd best QB in the valley IMO

4. Weslaco - Returning a lot of players and stuff

5. Mission Vets - Lost a lot but they have Gonzaque, who transferred to Cornerstone over the summer and then transferred back a few days later

6. Harlingen - Talented sophomore class not quite ready to fill the void. CSND though

7. San Benito - shitty side of the arroyo but they’re decent at football

8. Weslaco East - Burget is one of the most underrated coaches in the state, easily

9. McAllen Memorial - Littleton is just not a very good coach. He’s had an unreal amount of FBS talent for a valley school the past 15 years (Stephens, Kauffman, Sanchez, Nwachiku, the Speights Bros off the top of my head) yet he’s made it to the 3rd round just 2 or 3 times I think.  

10. Harlingen South - My darkhorse. The kids that went 10-0 as freshmen are juniors now, many started as sophomores. 

Bold prediction: 1 of these teams will not finish the season due to virus cancellations. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Helobious said:

No one asked for it, everyone’s getting it. Helobious’ Valley Preseason Rankings COVID edition:

1. Edinburg Vela - They’re on a poor man’s 2008-2011 Harlingen run right now. No one in the RGV can touch them, unless they shoot themselves in the dick. 

2. Sharyland Pioneer - Lost a lot but they have Marburger 

3. Mission - Jeremy Duran is the 3rd best QB in the valley IMO

4. Weslaco - Returning a lot of players and stuff

5. Mission Vets - Lost a lot but they have Gonzaque, who transferred to Cornerstone over the summer and then transferred back a few days later

6. Harlingen - Talented sophomore class not quite ready to fill the void. CSND though

7. San Benito - shitty side of the arroyo but they’re decent at football

8. Weslaco East - Burget is one of the most underrated coaches in the state, easily

9. McAllen Memorial - Littleton is just not a very good coach. He’s had an unreal amount of FBS talent for a valley school the past 15 years (Stephens, Kauffman, Sanchez, Nwachiku, the Speights Bros off the top of my head) yet he’s made it to the 3rd round just 2 or 3 times I think.  

10. Harlingen South - My darkhorse. The kids that went 10-0 as freshmen are juniors now, many started as sophomores. 

Bold prediction: 1 of these teams will not finish the season due to virus cancellations. 

While Raymondville isn't in your top 10, I'd note Zaraivion Armendarez's Twitter is burnt orange as can be. I wonder if he's the next PWO from the RGV to follow in Kai Money's footsteps.

43 minutes ago, texifornia said:

While Raymondville isn't in your top 10, I'd note Zaraivion Armendarez's Twitter is burnt orange as can be. I wonder if he's the next PWO from the RGV to follow in Kai Money's footsteps.

He’s right below Gonzaque in terms of the best pure athlete down there, but he’s just one guy. All 10 of the teams I listed would curbstomp Raymondville. It’s rare to see a real quality valley team from the 4A & below ranks, and when you do it’s usually Port Isabel. I’d put raymondville in the #13-16 range. My models just aren’t high on them this year.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

So this happened...

Football will go on as planned for Sonora High School despite a positive COVID-19 result for a participant, superintendent of schools Ross Aschenbeck confirmed Tuesday.

"We cancelled practice (Monday) as a precaution. We had those kids who we knew had possible close contact with the individual stay home, but when we started going through the protocol and trying to determine if we had a 15-minute time without a mask or without the gaiters (cloth face covering) — and we had several conversations with the UIL — that no one was in close contact with the positive person," Aschenbeck said.

The football players who were potentially exposed were cleared to return to campus at noon Tuesday, and this week's games against Alpine will go on as planned, the superintendent said.

Aschenbeck confirmed that no other athletic programs were affected by the positive result and that there was no exposure to any campus outside the secondary campus.

"No additional kids were counted as 'close contact,' " he said. "If you wear a mask, that doesn't count as part of the close-contact protocol, and we made that determination that no one met the definition of close contact with that individual."

The individual has already begun the quarantine period, but an exact date for the end of quarantine period had not been determined as of Tuesday, Aschenbeck said.

And they played, and Alpine won 7-0...and now Alpine has had an outbreak and has cancelled its next two games and has shut down school.

Best games this week, and there are a lot of them with every class playing:

Shadow Creek -- North Shore is still easily the best.

Arlington Martin -- Denton Ryan, 4pm on FSSW

Longview -- Temple, 8pm FSSW

Carthage @ Gilmer

Ennis @ Red Oak; that Duncanville frosh QB who started in state transferred to RO.

Lexington @ Franklin

Paris @ Melissa

Dickinson @ Manvel

Abilene Cooper @ Permian

Guyer @ Hebron

Stephenville @ Dumas

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Permian drilling AbCooper 47-28.

Sherman had a 14-0 lead, but now trails Denison 34-16. I think that will be 8 losses in a row in that rivalry.

Final was 41-23 Denison.  Horns offer Jadarian Price ( 2022) had fourteen carries for 188 yards and two touchdowns. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Brandon said:

JaTavion Sanders is really good... at everything. Just threw a guy and outran Blackwell (I think) fifty-something yards for a TD.

You can see Blackwell give up around the 3 instead of taking Sanders' legs out from behind. Thank you Mo.

Edited by Goodman
  • Hook 'Em 1

Tuscosa 26 abilene 20

Iowa park 57 WF Old High 33. Wow.

Guyer 56 Hebron 33

Dickinson 28 Manvel 27

NORTH Shore 38 SC 21

Cedar Park 21 VDG 7

Mason 34 Junction 7

Franklin 49 Lexington 14

Carthage 42 Gilmer 14

ABWylie 28 Brownwood 7