2020 Texas HS football

LTtxfan

I’m normally on the fuck the coastal bend train since they look down on us but I’ll root for them if they’re the last south tx team standing. Regardless I’m pulling for Navarro next week just for the lulz. Didn’t they beat y’all’s ass earlier this year already? 
Yes, just like last season.
  • Hook 'Em 1

So I love regional finals week, and I don’t want to do actual work, so let’s procrastinate…
I think we have a record number of district rematches this week-- NINE!!! 

4AD1
Region 1
Canyon (11-1) vs. Springtown (11-2) – Fri, 12/4, 7pm, Grande Communications Stadium, Midland
The Porcupines have played one of the best schedules in 4A and took out Canyon’s district champ last week, so edge to Springtown.

Region 2
Paris (9-4) vs. Argyle (13-0) – Sat, 12/5, 6pm, McKinney ISD Stadium, McKinney
District rematch #1 – Argyle won 28-7 earlier.  Paris’s other losses are to pre-injuries Pleasant Grove in week 3 and two Covid forfeits, so their record is deceiving.  Eagles are too good, though.  

Region 3
Lindale (11-2) vs. Kilgore (10-3) – Fri, 12/4, 7pm, Bryce Stadium, Nacogdoches
District rematch #2 – Lindale won 47-40.  Lindale is led by Baylor commit RB Jenkins, who has just run wild in the playoffs.  Hard to bet against that in a rematch.

Region 4
CC Miller (9-4) vs. Austin LBJ (8-2) – Sat, 12/5, 2:30pm, Farris Stadium, San Antonio
The game no one expected but everyone wanted.  The incredible Andrew Body Show has scored 763 points.  They will get tested by two D1 D-backs, Mukuba and McCutchin.  No idea who will win, but it will be fun.

4AD2
Region 1
Celina (6-4) vs. Graham (10-1) – Fri, 12/4, 7pm, Globe Life Park, Arlington
Celina started the season 1-4 before turning back into Celina.  But the Steers are on a different level, with their only loss being to Springtown.

Region 2
Caddo Mills (12-0) vs. Gilmer (12-1) – Fri, 12/4, 7pm, Memorial Stadium, Commerce
Caddo Mills is undefeated and pulled the shocker of the playoffs last week, beating PG, but it’s still hard to imagine the Foxes beating Gilmer.

Region 3
Carthage (11-0) vs. China Spring (10-2) – Fri, 12/4, 7:30pm, Midlothian ISD Stadium, Midlothian
CS has had an incredible playoff so far, upsetting two top 5 teams and then routing a good Sealy team last week, but no one is beating the Bulldogs this season.

Region 4
Navarro (11-2) vs. Wimberley (10-3) – Fri, 12/4, 7:30pm, Boerne ISD Stadium, Boerne
District rematch #3.  Navarro stopped a last-second 2-point attempt to win 24-22.  Navarro also beat Wimberley 42-14 in the regular season last year, and Wimbo won 42-12 in the regional final.  History should repeat itself as the Texans have improved a ton and gotten healthier.

3AD1
Region 1
Pilot Point (10-3) vs. Jim Ned (11-1) – Thu, 12/3, 7pm, Tarleton Memorial, Stephenville
As expected, a district 4 team is here, but shockingly, it’s PP instead of #1 Brock, which was stunned by JN last week.  I’ll take the Indians in this one, because how can you pick against these helmets?
d112eaba-c7ea-4f3c-8736-fe2c7eeaf8eb-lar

Region 2

Mount Vernon (11-2) vs. Malakoff (10-2) – Fri, 12/4, 7pm, Hanby Stadium, Mesquite
Malakoff had maybe the most impressive performance of the playoffs two weeks ago, beating 2019 state finalist Pottsboro 52-0, and gave an encore by upsetting 2-time defending champ Grandview last week, so I have little doubt that they’ll kick Art Briles’s ass all over the field.

Region 3
Columbus (11-2) vs. Hallettsville (11-2) – Fri, 12/4, 7pm, Memorial Stadium, Bastrop
District rematch #3.  H’ville won the first 45-14.  Columbus is big and tough and made for playoff football, but they don’t have Brooks.  Brahmas in a slugfest that's over in 2 hours.

Region 4
Llano (12-0) vs. Lago Vista (9-3) – Fri, 12/4, 7:00pm, Bible Stadium, Leander
District rematch #4.  Llano won the first one 44-27.  Great to see Llano undefeated and kicking ass in 3A.  They had been stuck as one of the smallest enrollments in 4A for about 20 years.  LV’s win last week was great, but they don’t have enough to beat the Yellowjackets.

3AD2
Region 1
Childress (10-2) vs. Canadian (12-1) – Fri, 12/4, 7pm, Kimbrough Stadium, Canyon
District rematch #5.  Canadian won the first one by 50.  Childress upset Bren Thompson and Spearman last week, but they won’t have a chance in this one.

Region 2
Eastland (10-3) vs. Gunter (12-1) – Thu, 12/3, 7pm, Globe Life Park, Arlington
Eastland started 0-3, but has won 10 straight behind their Tech commit QB Morton, and they’ve scored 638 points, including 91 in one game, but Gunter is a buzzsaw (73-4 since 2015) and will win region for the 5th year in a row.  

Region 3
Waskom (11-1) vs. Elysian Fields (11-2) – Fri, 12/4, 7:30pm, Lobo Stadium, Longview
District rematch #6.  EF won 28-21 in round 1.  Both teams have pulled upsets to get here (EF beat Paul Pewitt and Waskom beat Daingerfield).  I think this will be the closest of the games listed so far.  I’ll take a Waskom by a score.

Region 4
Franklin (10-2) vs. Buffalo (12-1) – Fri, 12/4, 7:30pm, Waco ISD Stadium, Waco
District rematch #7.  Franklin won 69-38, Buffalo’s only loss.  The region semis were all from district 13, and held form, so no reason to think Franklin won’t win this one, too.  Remember when the Cowboys played the Bills in the Super Bowl, and Buffalo changed their town name to Blue Star for the we
ek?  That was cool.

2AD1

Region 1
Post (13-0) vs. Cisco (10-3) – Fri, 12/4, 7:30pm, Anthony Field, Abilene
This is game of the week for me.  Even with two forfeits, the Antelopes have outscored their opponents 613-53 this season; last week was 60-0 at half.  Cisco is a traditional 3A powerhouse that dropped down this season, but Post might be the best team in west Texas at all levels.  

Region 2
Bosqueville (9-3) vs. Crawford (12-1) – Fri, 12/4, 7pm, Panther Stadium, Hewitt
District rematch #8.  Crawford won 27-20.  Having a coaching staff who has been this far before is important, so I’ll take Crawford to win again simply because of their playoff tradition.

Region 3
Timpson (13-0) vs. Beckville (10-3) – Fri, 12/4, 7:30pm, Lion Stadium, Henderson
Timpson and Argyle are the only teams in the state to play their entire schedule and go undefeated.  Beckville has pulled big upsets in the last two rounds, but I wouldn’t bet on a third.

Region 4
Shiner (11-0) vs. Refugio (11-0) – Fri, 12/1, 1pm, Alamodome, San Antonio
You could have written this one in ink in September.  Shiner has destroyed everyone, including 3A Hallettsville this season.  They’re also looking for revenge after last season’s huge collapse/screwjob in the regional finals against Refugio.  They’ll get it.

2AD2

Region 1

McCamey (11-1) vs. Wellington (12-0), 7 p.m. Friday at Woodrow’s Pirate Stadium 
Badgers and Skyrockets, nowhar but Texas!  McCamey’s only loss was in OT.  Should be a good close game, but we’ll go to the mascots for the tie-breaker, so Wellington it is.

Region 2
Muenster (10-3) vs. Windthorst (12-1), 7 p.m. Thursday at Bowie’s Jackrabbit Stadium 
District rematch #9.  Windthorst won 18-7.  Both teams pulled upsets last week (Muenster shocked Hamlin and Windthorst edged Albany).  This one’s a tossup, so ask Slorch, because he knows better than I do.  

Region 3
Mart (12-0) vs. Tenaha (10-2)– Fri, 12/4, 7pm, Bruce Field, Athens
Don’t overthink it.  Mart will win.  Mart always wins.  

Region 4
Christoval (12-1) vs. Falls City (10-2), 7 p.m. Friday at Fredericksburg’s Battlin’ Billie Stadium
Christoval lost game 1 and has rolled since.  Expect that to continue.

• Hook 'Em 6

I always feel dirty pulling for Refugio, but no one comes close to carrying the South Tex banner as good as they do. I have a coworker that lives in Poth and her son plays on the 7th grade team. Says their last game of the year they played the Refugio 7th graders due to the whole covid find-any-game-you-can situation. She said Refugio played dirty as fuck, chop and crackback blocks galore, and ended up injuring several Poth players pretty bad. Refugio won in a blowout. I told her yeah, their style is usually to just bully the other team into submission. Taught from an early age I guess.

Edited by Helobious

52 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I always feel dirty pulling for Refugio, but no one comes close to carrying the South Tex banner as good as they do. I have a coworker that lives in Poth and her son plays on the 7th grade team. Says their last game of the year they played the Refugio 7th graders due to the whole covid find-any-game-you-can situation. She said Refugio played dirty as fuck, chop and crackback blocks galore, and ended up injuring several Poth players pretty bad. Refugio won in a blowout. I told her yeah, their style is usually to just bully the other team into submission. Taught from an early age I guess.

I hear you about Refugio.   Never understood how a school of 203 students has participation numbers that some 4A schools have . According to Maxpreps, they have 37 on varsity and a JV and Freshmen team which probably have 15-20 kids.   So they might have 80 or so kids playing football which is almost half the student body?   OK.   This is why I think the UIL should use TEA numbers and stop this thing of attendance week in October being the defining number for realignment.   Kind of like how in the hell does Highland Park always avoid 6a by a handful of students.

On the field I've had issues with some of Refugio's antics.  The primary one that drew ESPN's attention was running up the score game after game against the likes Monte Alto, Benavides and Agua Dulce.    I get why their coach wants them to play a full 48..  But they could do this by handing the ball off to the 300 pound nose guard for one play at the end of the game and if the defense doesn't stop him, oh well.  But not with the hail mary crap they've done with seconds left.  That's a tad too much. 

12 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Seriously.  Why not Lubbock?

I'm guessing because Canyon has already had games games at Lowry?  Jones Stadium has been used in the past too...

I'm sure they don't want to cram everyone in a stadium like Vernon, but Wichita Falls Memorial would be plenty big enough.  Old High and Rider play Friday.  Maybe Thursday and Saturday didn't work for Canyon/ Springtown.

CSB, but I remember Brian Hulett's ( Springtown's HC) dad, Rick Hulett at Springlake-Earth in West Texas.  Chip off the ole block...

Edited by slorch

2 minutes ago, slorch said:

I'm guessing because Canyon has already had games games at Lowry?  Jones Stadium has been used in the past too...

I'm sure they don't want to cram everyone in a stadium like Vernon, but Wichita Falls Memorial would be plenty big enough.  Old High and Rider play Friday.  Maybe Thursday and Saturday didn't work for Canyon/ Springtown.

Even Shotwell in Abilene would be better than Midland.  Although it is a lot closer to Springtown.

Edited by TrashMaster G

I didn’t realize how many kids Vets Memorial took away from Judson. The Rockets are close to 5A size now, that’s insane. They’re a lock for D2 and will avoid LT & Westlake. That’s huge for them. Can’t imagine there’s any other decent 6A Austin teams, and Judson can handle pretty much any SA team. Should in theory mean a cakewalk to the semis for Judson barring virus shenanigans.

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

I didn’t realize how many kids Vets Memorial took away from Judson. The Rockets are close to 5A size now, that’s insane. They’re a lock for D2 and will avoid LT & Westlake. That’s huge for them. Can’t imagine there’s any other decent 6A Austin teams, and Judson can handle pretty much any SA team. Should in theory mean a cakewalk to the semis for Judson barring virus shenanigans.

Really?   I recall back in the 80s they were the “Allen” or super school of the day.  

3 hours ago, Helobious said:

Vandegrift could give them a challenge.

12 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

Vandegrift could give them a challenge.

Judson's not that good and that whole region bracket is kind of ass, though, so several teams could give them a challenge.  Hell, if you let Lampasas suit back up and play in that bracket, they might have a chance to win the region.  I think the biggest mystery in 6AR4 is what the hell has happened to Smithson Valley?

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

Judson's not that good and that whole region bracket is kind of ass, though, so several teams could give them a challenge.  Hell, if you let Lampasas suit back up and play in that bracket, they might have a chance to win the region.  I think the biggest mystery in 6AR4 is what the hell has happened to Smithson Valley?

They’re having a decent year, in a super tough district. They can’t beat up on the NEISD schools like they used to back in the day. They have also run into LT or Westlake in the 1st round the past 5 or 6 straight years or something crazy. Also currently playing a converted DB at QB. They enjoyed back to back D1 QBs before him, and had that future draft pick TCU DB on the team. No such athletes the past couple years. They’ll also get sapped by a new high school opening in the next year or two. 

14 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

And then Wagner opened up.

And Judson ISD opened up Veterans Memorial not too long ago as well which brings us four schools with the same name south of SA.  I think a few have actually played each other either in non district of the playoffs which makes commentary  and play by play fun. They really thought a few years back they would be able to keep a single high school open, but the numbers caught up to them.  Will this ever happen to Allen?   I know some folks up there who swear they will never open up a second high school.    I remind them down here many in the Judson ISD said the same thing.

San Antonio Vets (Judson ISD)

Corpus Christi Vets   ( CCISD) 

Mission Vets 

Brownsville Vets 

But for awhile Judson was able to continue their way despite the loss of student population.   I guess it's starting to show up now?

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

I wonder how long Smithson Valley will stay in 6A?  They have that two  new high schools opening up or have opened out by Garden Ridge (Davenport) and Pieper  in the  Kinder Ranch area  which is all Smithson Valley attendance zones although Davenport might have had some Canyon zone too, but not much.     If they drop to 5A for a few years,  they should do real well.  But with all the growth in that area the chances they stay in 5A is slim, but I think as a future resident of the area it would be in the Comal Isd's best interest to try to keep their high schools at 5A levels like Frisco ISD has done to date.

34 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

I wonder how long Smithson Valley will stay in 6A?  They have that two  new high schools opening up or have opened out by Garden Ridge (Davenport) and Pieper  in the  Kinder Ranch area  which is all Smithson Valley attendance zones although Davenport might have had some Canyon zone too, but not much.     If they drop to 5A for a few years,  they should do real well.  But with all the growth in that area the chances they stay in 5A is slim, but I think as a future resident of the area it would be in the Comal Isd's best interest to try to keep their high schools at 5A levels like Frisco ISD has done to date.

Had never heard of Pieper, so I went googling, and holy shit, that area has blown up.  But I will never understand why someone would move to rural Comal County to live in a neighborhood like this:

image.thumb.png.f34ef732584c3dd9da9b37c7af75dbef.png

Probably has something to do with keeping their kids away from brown kids.  

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Had never heard of Pieper, so I went googling, and holy shit, that area has blown up.  But I will never understand why someone would move to rural Comal County to live in a neighborhood like this:

It's  pretty much cookie cutter housing like you posted in that immediate area.  It's just to north of Stone Oak  ( Loop 1604)  and the JW Marriott area which is all housing and retail.  Rural is  SH 46 which runs north of the area from Boerne to New Braunfels.   There are cookie cutters like the pic above in those areas, but many of the subdivisions offer 1 to 5 or more acre lots and require a minimum square footage for each home (can't build under 2500 or 3000 square feet in a few) .  So you still have the rural feel albeit with amenities like community pools, functions, etc. We are looking at property closer to the Canyon Lake

Yeah there’s some nice neighborhoods up there, but with the growing traffic/construction on 281 & 46, plus the schools not being quite as good as Johnson/Reagan feeders I don’t really see the appeal personally. I suppose it is more affordable, but I’ve never really looked at prices that far north. Comal county definitely has a lower property tax rate. Johnson & Reagan both have a plurality of hispanic students nowadays, maybe we really are scaring people off. Good luck beating those schools in soccer though.

15 hours ago, Helobious said:

Yeah there’s some nice neighborhoods up there, but with the growing traffic/construction on 281 & 46, plus the schools not being quite as good as Johnson/Reagan feeders I don’t really see the appeal personally. I suppose it is more affordable, but I’ve never really looked at prices that far north. Comal county definitely has a lower property tax rate. Johnson & Reagan both have a plurality of hispanic students nowadays, maybe we really are scaring people off. Good luck beating those schools in soccer though.

From my observation, a number of the move ins into Comal County (Bulverde, New Braunfels, Johnson Ranch out west towards and including Boerne) are folks like me who are or getting ready to be empty nesters, but are still young enough to live an active lifestyle and want a piece of property with space, but close to amenities like shopping, restaurants, entertainment ,and quality health care .  At least that's what we have observed looking at some of the properties around there and talking to the different builders/real estate folks..   So who knows if it translates into the Comal County ISD in turn getting larger student population wise  vs other parts of the South Austin area  (Buda, Kyle) or San Antonio like the Northside ISD newer schools due to the fact those areas are attracting a lot of  move ins with your two to three kid families, etc.  

• Hook 'Em 1

JFC. That’s just the kind of publicity we need down there. The kid that got ejected was Edinburg’s best defensive player, probably one of the best D-linemen in the valley. What an idiot. He’ll face criminal charges for sure. 

Edited by Helobious

In 3aD2, Gunter is absolutely destroying Eastland 54-7. If you haven't seen them, Gunter's offense is about as fun as it gets for an offense that runs 95% of the time. They scored 47 in the first half without ever facing 3rd down. This will be their 5th straight regional title and they'll likely play Canadian again, and that winner will be a huge favorite in Jerryworld.

Jim Ned beating Pilot Point 38-21 4th in 3aD1

Windthorst beating Muenster 30-13 4th in 2AD2.

None of these are surprising.

In 3aD2, Gunter is absolutely destroying Eastland 54-7. If you haven't seen them, Gunter's offense is about as fun as it gets for an offense that runs 95% of the time. They scored 47 in the first half without ever facing 3rd down. This will be their 5th straight regional title and they'll likely play Canadian again, and that winner will be a huge favorite in Jerryworld.

Jim Ned beating Pilot Point 38-21 4th in 3aD1

Windthorst beating Muenster 30-13 4th in 2AD2.

None of these are surprising.

Now finals...

Gunter 61-28

JN 45-28

Windthorst 30-20

LBK Coronando 35

AMA Tascosa   33

Not a surprise that the Mustangs won, but Tascosa was in control early 14-3, and then lead 20-5 in the 3rd.

Thought a bit about going to this game because of the Coronado QB commit to Miss State, but decided "Fuck sitting in the cold for a game I have no ties to or known players in."

On 11/12/2020 at 1:39 AM, Helobious said:

He should post that tweet again, except worded even more confusingly. 

Harlingen wins round 2 playoff game, will play Lake Travis in round 3. Entire LT team gets covid the week before game with harlingen. Is he saying Harlingen wins round 3 by forfeit, and the cards advance to round 4?

Ughhhhh.....Would love nothing more than a deep run by HHS, but with only five games played this is an unprepared team.  Lots of heart from what I’ve seen online, I think they should be top tier (in the Valley) next year.