2020 Texas HS football

LTtxfan

10 hours ago, Helobious said:

I think he just meant given the competition level. NS has blown out 5 teams this year (Manvel, Atascocita, Dawson, Tompkins, Ridge Point) that would crush anyone Westlake has played. CE King & Shadow Creek were no slouches either. 

Correct. I think most people understood the point.

9 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

Please tell me where I even hinted at that.

I was merely pointing out that saying Westlake's defensive stats are "meaningless" seems pretty dumb.  It's not like they have been playing a bunch of 4A teams and you don't see teams put up numbers like those very often in 6A, regardless of the competition. 

It's meaningless in the context of this one game, because that defense hasn't played an offense even remotely comparable in talent all year. I don't feel like that's a controversial statement.

In general, Westlake is obviously good, etc etc. 

Class 6A Division I
Regions I and II
Southlake Carroll (11-1) vs. Duncanville (10-1), 3 p.m. Saturday at Globe Life Park
We’re going to see just how good Quinn Ewers is, because Duncanville’s defense is loaded with talent.  Pretty sure that every starter on the Panther front 7 is a D1 recruit.  I think Duncanville is better than they were last season.  I think Ewers will play well, but he would need to play great for SLC to win.  

Regions III and IV
Galena Park North Shore (14-0) vs. Austin Westlake (12-0), 2 p.m. Saturday at Legacy Stadium
The discussion upthread is a good one – Westlake’s defense is ridiculous, but they’ve never played a team like North Shore.  Last night, I watched the USA junior hockey team win gold by upsetting a previously unchallengeable Canadian team, so part of me wants to pick Westlake here.  The problem is that North Shore has Demetrius Davis at QB, and I can’t see him letting this team lose, and I know that Shad Banks will get lose for at least one long TD.  

Class 6A Division II
Regions I and II
Denton Guyer (11-2) vs. Cedar Hill (11-1), 1 p.m. on Saturday at McKinney ISD
Guyer has been sleep-walking against teams not nearly as good as Cedar Hill.  I said a couple of weeks ago that Kaidon Salter is the best 2021 QB in the state; he’s definitely a lot better than Eli Stowers.  Because of that, I think the Longhorns win this one easily.   

Regions III and IV
Katy (15-1) vs. Buda Hays Consolidated (10-3), 2 p.m. Saturday at Baylor’s McLane Stadium
Hays probably played as well as they could play in the second half last week, and that got them a regional championship trophy for the first time since ’96, so congrats to them and I hope they enjoy this week.  But Katy is simply a terrible matchup for their 1-dimensional Pistol/SlotT hybrid offense and the Rebels are gonna get crushed.

Class 5A Division I
Regions I and II
Mansfield Summit (8-4) vs. Denton Ryan (13-0), 7 p.m. Friday at AT&T Stadium
I watched Summit win a sloppy but thrilling rematch against Red Oak last week and at no point did I think, “This team can beat Ryan.”  The Raiders might have more talent than any team playing, 5A or 6A, with big-time playmakers at every level on defense.  

Regions III and IV
Cedar Park (13-0) vs. Corpus Christi Veterans Memorial (13-0), 7:30 p.m. Friday at San Antonio’s Alamo Stadium
Vets is not your typical CC team.  The school has only been open 5 years, and they’re 46-7 in the last four years, the first CCISD team to advance to the semis since 1963.  But they’ve played a very week schedule and CP is by far their best opponent.  T’wolf QB Ryder Hernandez has thrown for 3800+ yards and has a 51-2 TD-INT ratio and he’ll be the difference.  

Class 5A Division II
Regions I and II
Wichita Falls Rider (11-2) vs. Aledo (11-1), 7 p.m. Friday at North Texas’ Apogee Stadium
This is not your normal Aledo team.  Their defense is good but not great and their QB is ass.  Their offense is basically nothing but a big O-line and little RB Demarco Roberts and little WR Jojo Earle, who they frequently run out of the wildcat because it’s the easiest way to get the ball into his hands.  Rider has a stout defense, led by playmaking DB Dom Horton and big DE Emaurian Banks (Tech commit). They have a stud dual-threat QB in Jacob Rodriguez (Virginia).  And they have a bunch of guys who were on the field for this game in 2018 when a much-better Aledo team destroyed a not-as-good Rider team 63-7.  So I wouldn’t bet money on them, but it wouldn’t shock me to see Roho pull an upset.

Regions III and IV
Crosby (11-3) vs. Liberty Hill (12-0), 7:30 p.m. Friday at Bryan’s Green Stadium
Best matchup of the weekend!  I kind of hitched my wagon to this Crosby team a couple of weeks ago when they stomped #5 Texarkana.  Then they outlasted #4 Huntsville in OT.  And they pulled their biggest shocker last week, rallying late to edge #3 FB Marshall.  QB Deniquez Dunn is my favorite player still playing and the Cougars also rely on WR Reggie Branch to make plays from all over (he even played some QB last week with Dunn hobbled). They should wreak havoc on Liberty Hill’s defense which got exposed last week by the Fighting Marbergers.  Liberty Hill’s SlotT machine will score points, but Crosby’s D is good enough to get stops when they have to.  

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Class 6A Division I
Regions I and II
Southlake Carroll (11-1) vs. Duncanville (10-1), 3 p.m. Saturday at Globe Life Park
We’re going to see just how good Quinn Ewers is, because Duncanville’s defense is loaded with talent.  Pretty sure that every starter on the Panther front 7 is a D1 recruit.  I think Duncanville is better than they were last season.  I think Ewers will play well, but he would need to play great for SLC to win.  

Regions III and IV
Galena Park North Shore (14-0) vs. Austin Westlake (12-0), 2 p.m. Saturday at Legacy Stadium
The discussion upthread is a good one – Westlake’s defense is ridiculous, but they’ve never played a team like North Shore.  Last night, I watched the USA junior hockey team win gold by upsetting a previously unchallengeable Canadian team, so part of me wants to pick Westlake here.  The problem is that North Shore has Demetrius Davis at QB, and I can’t see him letting this team lose, and I know that Shad Banks will get lose for at least one long TD.  

Class 6A Division II
Regions I and II
Denton Guyer (11-2) vs. Cedar Hill (11-1), 1 p.m. on Saturday at McKinney ISD
Guyer has been sleep-walking against teams not nearly as good as Cedar Hill.  I said a couple of weeks ago that Kaidon Salter is the best 2021 QB in the state; he’s definitely a lot better than Eli Stowers.  Because of that, I think the Longhorns win this one easily.   

Regions III and IV
Katy (15-1) vs. Buda Hays Consolidated (10-3), 2 p.m. Saturday at Baylor’s McLane Stadium
Hays probably played as well as they could play in the second half last week, and that got them a regional championship trophy for the first time since ’96, so congrats to them and I hope they enjoy this week.  But Katy is simply a terrible matchup for their 1-dimensional Pistol/SlotT hybrid offense and the Rebels are gonna get crushed.

Class 5A Division I
Regions I and II
Mansfield Summit (8-4) vs. Denton Ryan (13-0), 7 p.m. Friday at AT&T Stadium
I watched Summit win a sloppy but thrilling rematch against Red Oak last week and at no point did I think, “This team can beat Ryan.”  The Raiders might have more talent than any team playing, 5A or 6A, with big-time playmakers at every level on defense.  

Regions III and IV
Cedar Park (13-0) vs. Corpus Christi Veterans Memorial (13-0), 7:30 p.m. Friday at San Antonio’s Alamo Stadium
Vets is not your typical CC team.  The school has only been open 5 years, and they’re 46-7 in the last four years, the first CCISD team to advance to the semis since 1963.  But they’ve played a very week schedule and CP is by far their best opponent.  T’wolf QB Ryder Hernandez has thrown for 3800+ yards and has a 51-2 TD-INT ratio and he’ll be the difference.  

Class 5A Division II
Regions I and II
Wichita Falls Rider (11-2) vs. Aledo (11-1), 7 p.m. Friday at North Texas’ Apogee Stadium
This is not your normal Aledo team.  Their defense is good but not great and their QB is ass.  Their offense is basically nothing but a big O-line and little RB Demarco Roberts and little WR Jojo Earle, who they frequently run out of the wildcat because it’s the easiest way to get the ball into his hands.  Rider has a stout defense, led by playmaking DB Dom Horton and big DE Emaurian Banks (Tech commit). They have a stud dual-threat QB in Jacob Rodriguez (Virginia).  And they have a bunch of guys who were on the field for this game in 2018 when a much-better Aledo team destroyed a not-as-good Rider team 63-7.  So I wouldn’t bet money on them, but it wouldn’t shock me to see Roho pull an upset.

Regions III and IV
Crosby (11-3) vs. Liberty Hill (12-0), 7:30 p.m. Friday at Bryan’s Green Stadium
Best matchup of the weekend!  I kind of hitched my wagon to this Crosby team a couple of weeks ago when they stomped #5 Texarkana.  Then they outlasted #4 Huntsville in OT.  And they pulled their biggest shocker last week, rallying late to edge #3 FB Marshall.  QB Deniquez Dunn is my favorite player still playing and the Cougars also rely on WR Reggie Branch to make plays from all over (he even played some QB last week with Dunn hobbled). They should wreak havoc on Liberty Hill’s defense which got exposed last week by the Fighting Marbergers.  Liberty Hill’s SlotT machine will score points, but Crosby’s D is good enough to get stops when they have to.  

Thanks, man. I appreciate your insights. Here is why I am picking my Chaps: my wife wanted to put away her reindeer statues that sit beneath the TV, but I made her leave them up since they graced our living room during our glorious 6A D2 championship run last year. They will provide the difference. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 12/18/2020 at 3:46 PM, msucolt45 said:

Wimberley made it to Jerry World last year too. Carthage just has their program rolling!

I remember one of the first few years I lived in Nacogdoches I went to a Carthage/Nacogdoches game.  I was amazed, the Carthage boys were huge and looked more like a well tuned college team than a high school team.

On 12/19/2020 at 7:31 PM, Lonestar88 said:

The affluent schools “recruit” too, they just usually don’t get any slack for it. (Although I think Southlake did get slapped on the wrist a few years ago).

Desoto and I think recently Cedar Hill also became open enrollment, so that whole area is going to stay spicy.

Some of that talent migration is natural though. Talk to any kids in Southwest Dallas County and there’s a more than decent chance their parents or grandparents are from South Dallas. The talent that used be in DISD back in the day, moved to Cedar Hill, Duncanville, Desoto and Lancaster and started families.

Not to be insulting to anyone, and I haven't been there in years, but why in the fuck would anyone want to move to Lancaster?

Well then... I feel bad for the people who watch meaningless CF bowls instead of TxHSFB.

5AD1:

Ryan 49, Summit 35  This was a 28-27 game with 10 minutes left.  It was close because Summit's D-Line just completely kicked ass and because Ryan committed about 90 penalties.  Then the Raiders got a blocked punt at the 10 yard line and pick-6 and it was over.  I still have no idea why the Summit coach didn't go for 2 when it was 28-26...but it didn't matter.

Cedar Park 61, CC Vets 28  Vets actually led this game 21-17 at half, but then made two turnovers in the 3rd and shit got outta hand as the T-wolves won the 3rd 28-0.  

5AD2:

Aledo 55 Rider 28  Aledo's O-line won this game, opening holes for 155 yards for Demarco Roberts.  Rider actually outgained Aledo, but had 2 costly turnovers and couldn't get the stops needed to play catch-up.

Crosby 62 Liberty Hill 61, OT  Game of the year stuff right here, as for the 4th consecutive week, Crosby beat an undefeated Top 10 team.  It went exactly as expected... well except for LH getting their first two TDs on long passes (WTF?!?!?!).  Dunn and Branch did their thing for the Cougars, busting open a 55-39 lead in the 4th, before the previously porous Panther D got big stops and the SlotT became unstoppable.  Crosby got a TD on a Branch run in OT, and LH answered with a Blake Simpson TD run on their first play.  They went for two, but fumbled the handoff and it was over.  

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4

40 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Unsportsmanlike Conduct: Using a substitution with intent to deceive.

Wtf?  Has anybody ever heard of that?

Called in the Dekaney-Bridgeland game, exact same play.  You can't run a guy off the field, then have him pop back on the field, unless he comes back inside the numbers, IIRC.  

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Well then... I feel bad for the people who watch meaningless CF bowls instead of TxHSFB.

5AD1:

Ryan 49, Summit 35  This was a 28-27 game with 10 minutes left.  It was close because Summit's D-Line just completely kicked ass and because Ryan committed about 90 penalties.  Then the Raiders got a blocked punt at the 10 yard line and pick-6 and it was over.  I still have no idea why the Summit coach didn't go for 2 when it was 28-26...but it didn't matter.

Cedar Park 61, CC Vets 28  Vets actually led this game 21-17 at half, but then made two turnovers in the 3rd and shit got outta hand as the T-wolves won the 3rd 28-0.  

5AD2:

Aledo 55 Rider 28  Aledo's O-line won this game, opening holes for 155 yards for Demarco Roberts.  Rider actually outgained Aledo, but had 2 costly turnovers and couldn't get the stops needed to play catch-up.

Crosby 62 Liberty Hill 61, OT  Game of the year stuff right here, as for the 4th consecutive week, Crosby beat an undefeated Top 10 team.  It went exactly as expected... well except for LH getting their first two TDs on long passes (WTF?!?!?!).  Dunn and Branch did their thing for the Cougars, busting open a 55-39 lead in the 4th, before the previously porous Panther D got big stops and the SlotT became unstoppable.  Crosby got a TD on a Branch run in OT, and LH answered with a Blake Simpson TD run on their first play.  They went for two, but fumbled the handoff and it was over.  

CP-Ryan will be a fun one. I’ve seen parts of some Ryan games this year on streams because of Sanders & Bowman. I’m not really impressed with their QB play but they have more than enough talent to mask it. Hernandez is a baller for sure, want to see how he does. He’s also committed to Texas State for baseball.

40 minutes ago, Helobious said:

CP-Ryan will be a fun one. I’ve seen parts of some Ryan games this year on streams because of Sanders & Bowman. I’m not really impressed with their QB play but they have more than enough talent to mask it. Hernandez is a baller for sure, want to see how he does. He’s also committed to Texas State for baseball.

On offense QB is the main weakness. The skill guys make him look way better than he is