2020 Texas HS football

LTtxfan

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

There is a guy in Carthage and Katy who have a lot to say in that conversation 

Dodge has more titles than both of them, doesn’t he? Joseph has five state titles, not sure about the Carthage coach. I think Dodge has Joseph beat head to head too. 

2 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

Easy on Ewers, just a kid with a NFL arm, right now and still has another year of HS ball. There is a reason he is one of the highest ranking recruits ever. If he comes to Texas, you will be grateful.

Damn right we will! But he's committed to Ohio State right now so until then....

2 minutes ago, Stunns38 said:

If West Lake Hills* were a person
68bdfe04a31f6251eeb2ed869b2b9dad.jpg
*unless he’s poor and lives in Rollingwood or the Eanes part of Austin.

I knew one of the Westlake poors back in the day.  He lived in a duplex by Barton Creek Square.  Being an apartment dweller going to Crockett High I still thought of him as a rich kid, but I guess all is relative.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Somnio said:

I knew one of the Westlake poors back in the day.  He lived in a duplex by Barton Creek Square.  Being an apartment dweller going to Crockett High I still thought of him as a rich kid, but I guess all is relative.

There's some mobile homes and trashed out houses in my hood in the west part of Westlake's district.

13 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Plus, Austin area football is significantly elevated and that helps sharpen them for playoff runs.

Yep, the emergence of Round Rock, Lake Travis and Leander ISD teams in particular has really upped the level of competition in CenTex over the last 20 years, and given Westlake some real competition.

3 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

They’ve been doing it forever. It was exceedingly popular with college teams across the country in the late 90s. I suspect Carroll adopted it then when Todd was coach. 

2 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Not much to explain. When Todd was at SLC and they were tearing through state titles he got them all dying their hair blonde for every playoff run. He left, blonde hair dye keeps moving off shelves of the local CVS every November.

Thanks for the explanation. My school played them back when Todd was the coach and never understood why they would do that every season. 

37 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Yep.  Got some grief because I said I’d root for Westlake as my oldest kid is in 6th grade here. But I follow the Scots pretty closely because my son will play for them, probably. Went to the quarterfinals where they got Ja’Tavion’d. That was a shame because those two schools were the best 5A by far and frankly it was a miracle Scots kept it to 17-7. Denton Ryan may have been the most talented HS team in Texas this year. 

But you’re highlighting what I’m saying about Dodge. He sought matchups with HP and SLC. Those are huge games that make for a battle-tested team. We did not have that when I was there in the 90s. 

what position does your kid play? and how many more years do you think randy has in him? didn’t seem to like retirement the first time. I’m still fairly close with a coach who has been there with him since ‘99. 

Okay, after making it half-way home from Westlake/SLC, we crashed at a Marriott in Waco.* The game was our first trip to the Death Star and it did not disappoint. It was probably the whitest crowd I’ve ever seen and it turned out pretty fun for our Westlake crowd. The first half was nerve-wracking but we eventually made enough stops to seal the game. Ewers is the real-deal. Dude has a great arm, for sure, but he was under constant pressure in the sceond half. I was bummed SLC scored that last TD because I named their score at 20 or 27 earlier today in this thread.

I’ll post some shots tomorrow. Sorry, no MILFS. 

*”Marriott in Waco. Nobody touch nuthin.”

Edited by TreatyOak
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, blacklab said:

There's some mobile homes and trashed out houses in my hood in the west part of Westlake's district.

As a somebody who grew up in the Austin part of Eanes, I definitely knew some of those Duplex and Mobile Home Westlake kids.

Other than 96, the program could never quite get over the hump, then began to fade a little after Schroeder threw a temper tantrum and quite.  Allman was terrible, and convinced the powers that be that needed somebody better, boom, we got Dodge and now two more titles. 

as previously pointed out: being able to beat the fuck out RGV and SAT teams in Region 4 helps for making long playoff runs. 

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Balcones said:

Has Joseph won Championship at multiple schools?

Westlake and Southlake are essentially the same school. 

Remind me how Dodge did at Cameron. 

I think Surratt may be the best coach ever. To keep that kind of success going at a small school like that when losing one class in a lot of other similar programs can lead to more down years. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Texas St. Armadillos said:

Dodge = Dabo

Joseph = Saban

Dodge has more titles and has won at two different places. Not sure how he’s Dabo here and not Saban.

23 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Westlake and Southlake are essentially the same school. 

Remind me how Dodge did at Cameron. 

I mean, Alabama and LSU have plenty of similarities too. It isn’t perfect but Dodge fits Saban here more than Joseph imo.

On Ewers, I thought he would have more kids following him like the pied piper. I think Winfield committed simply because 1) Sark's offense is magical, and 2) Ewers is coming. They want to play together. 

I wonder if Sark would take Phaizon Wilson back? I bet he's behind at least 3-4 other WR's, huh?

Edited by Spider2YBanana

3 hours ago, Bigbend1812 said:

I believe Westlake and SLC were supposed to play and it was cancelled.  

Westlake was scheduled to play SLC in the opening game of the season. That game was cancelled. Westlake replaced that game w HP, who then suffered a COVID outbreak and that game was also cancelled. 

• Hook 'Em 1