2020 Texas HS football

LTtxfan

14 hours ago, squeegeedegg said:

Klubnik is running the short to intermediate passing game with lots of designed runs... While having a supporting running game.  He's being used as a game manager deluxe in the state title game.  Seriously, are we even watching the same shit?  On the flip side I agree Ewers is not generational unanimous top recruit in the country.  But he's a better qb than Klubnik, that's plenty clear

Don't disagree, but Klubnik also injured.   Great game !   Congrats to @TreatyOak and the 'Chap Nation.

Westlake had a quarterback who completed all but two of his 20 passes Saturday even though Todd Dodge said the junior didn’t throw a pass all week because of a banged-up shoulder, courtesy of a rugged game against two-time defending state champion Galena Park North Shore the week before.

https://www.statesman.com/story/sports/2021/01/17/high-school-football-westlake-lays-claim-most-complete-team/4196050001/

Edited by torre
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Texas St. Armadillos said:

Dodge = Dabo

Joseph = Saban

IDK about that.  Dodge is the one who has done it at different schools.

Edited by slorch

18 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Westlake, LT and SLC are all effectively the same. HP is what Austin would have if Tarrytown effectively had its own township and schools district. 

This.  My grandfather, mom and her sisters are all Maroons. HP and Austin High-Tarrytown are a good analogy. Westlake was largely developed to cater to West Austin families that wanted to avoid forced busing (no CR, it’s just a fact). As such,  it’s analogous to any post war wealthy incorporated suburb. Its main difference from SLC is its distance from the city center: suburb vs exurb, and also Westlake was the landing place for a lot of the Royal era longhorn football players, whose kids were the core of the Schroeder era teams. 

Side note: I’ll go to my grave arguing House Park is one of the state’s great stadiums, even if Austin High plays there. 

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, blacklab said:

Yeah. My kids have friends in school that live on the lake and have a private jet, and other friends that live in a trailer. 

Yep. My senior year a wealthy friend of mine was throwing a graduation party. One of those Rob Roy houses with like a 25 yard outdoor pool and another ridiculous indoor pool with an indoor basketball court. A full fucking court just inside. Was the driver for my group of friends, the last one we picked up was one of those Cuernavaca trailer kids. Just bizarre 

1 hour ago, Bateshorn said:

This.  My grandfather, mom and her sisters are all Maroons. HP and Austin High-Tarrytown are a good analogy.  

I live in HP now....used to live in Austin.  I think HP/Tarrytown is a pretty close analogy (assuming Tarrytown had its own school district), but Tarrytown doesn't extend up to the mega rich sections that HP has.  It's similar in terms of lot size and proximity to the city, yes.  Westlake is probably closer in terms of home values to HP.  Jerruh probably isn't buying in Tarrytown.

/white on white bickering not going away

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Balcones said:

Who is in the one horse town? I’m not following you.

Westlake.  Eanes has repeatedly refused to authorize a second high school in order to keep the football program intact.  Like there have been multiple referendums. 

Dodge has total control of the district football program.  The Westlake kids start learning his system in Pee Wee football.  The middle school coaches run his preferred S&C programs.  It’s totally centralized.

Edited by Bateshorn

1 hour ago, Balcones said:

Who is in the one horse town? I’m not following you.

Westlake 

Southlake

Allen

Highland Park 

Carthage 

Etc etc etc...

One high school in the district.  Aligned administration, feeder schools, no boundary changes when additional schools open, school board members with conflicting agendas, etc

Edited by Dennis Taylor
  • Hook 'Em 2

Southlake will be interesting to watch from a competitive standpoint over the next 5-7 years.  The demographics are starting to shift, especially with regard to families moving in who have younger kids.  A lot of professional/executive, well monied Indian and Asian families have been attracted to the area.  Great schools, proximity to Dallas, FW or even places like Tech Corridor due to fairly central Metroplex location, around the corner from the airport, yada yada yada.  Their children play sports, can obviously be good at them but the culture does not eat/sleep/breathe it.   They would rather their kids kick ass academically and aren't gonna get caught up in the 24/7 Dragon Way bullshit.   

• Hook 'Em 3

6 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

There were also a bunch of cedar choppers if you took Lost Creek Blvd all the way out towards Oak Hill. 

Good book on the history of the area.

I have neighbors from Cedar Chopper lineage. Most of the mobile home lots are getting cleared and filled with shiplap houses that go for like $850k for three bedrooms. All of the newbies from Cali hate the year round fireworks.

9781623498207.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

I don't know That Tarrytown itself could sustain an elite high school though.  Isn't that part of Austin only like 20,000 people total?  which would make for a high school of what, maybe 500 kids...if that?  I would think the MILF scene would be great though.

A forth high school mixed in with Austin High, Westlake H.S., and Lake Travis H.S. could make for an interesting mashup.  We lowly folks over here in South Austin shall watch and judge.  But congrats to Westlake H.S. (my friend's son is the defensive co-captain).  they looked really damn impressive last night and deserve the hardware.  

2 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

Westlake.  Eanes has repeatedly refused to authorize a second high school in order to keep the football program intact.  Like there have been multiple referendums.

LT has plenty of space and is increasing their population at a great rate. Westlake, not so much, as detail down below. 

Edited by TreatyOak

40 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

I played there when I attended OHenry middle school and when I played at Crockett high school in the 90s.. Loved playing there over Tony Burger 

CSB alert: When I was  in high school, it still had a grass field.  When Westlake played Austin High at House Park, it was just a giant multi- generational party.  Grandparents/parents/kids, we shared church/golf/scouts/etc. together.  I had an Aunt that would come to town for her UT Sorority reunion and she’d meet up with her high school friends the night before to catch up.

Just the lights and heartbeat of the city around you on a late October evening as West Austin gathered for its own extended home coming.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

My wife is an admin in the Eanes district. There is no reason to have a second HS in Eanes, as the land area is finite, built out, and since families whose kids have graduated like living here so the student population is continually falling. There was a referendum to add another elementary, but even that got turned down.  

Edited by TreatyOak

3 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

There is no reason to have a second HS in Eanes, as the land area is finite and built out, and the student population is continually falling. 

Well, if you came from a nerd family like I did, my mom wanted smaller classes and more emphasis on serious AP offerings then a freshman annex and a unified football squad.  But that was 15 years ago. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Well, if you came from a nerd family like I did, my mom wanted smaller classes and more emphasis on serious AP offerings then a freshman annex and a unified football squad.  But that was 15 years ago. 

There are also some benefits to two 1400-person schools rather than one 2800-person school.

But yeah, the population estimates from 15-20 years ago of 4000 students never came to fruition. It seems like they way underestimated how many empty nesters would stick around.

Also, HP is more Pemberton than Tarrytown.
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Helobious said:

As a Harlingen HS grad this Westlake-SLC-HP pissing match is fascinating. To an outsider all those schools seem the exact same. HP seems like it’s in its own tier of wealth though, above everyone else.

That’s what my point was. 

the only people who argue the difference are those from the area. But 99% of people from other parts of the state identify them as essentially the same. 

3 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Westlake 

Southlake

Allen

Highland Park 

Carthage 

Etc etc etc...

One high school in the district.  Aligned administration, feeder schools, no boundary changes when additional schools open, school board members with conflicting agendas, etc

I don’t think you can throw Carthage in there with those others. They aren’t a part of a major city. Just a small east Texas town. 

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I don’t think you can throw Carthage in there with those others. They aren’t a part of a major city. Just a small east Texas town. 

Just referring to really successful type teams. Duncanville,  Cedar Hill, DeSoto etc are probably better examples of larger single school ISDs that have that advantage. North Shore is not a single school but might as well be. 

5 hours ago, Hornlover said:

Nobody with money in Houston goes to public school. 

This is a blatant lie. People send their children to Bellaire, Memorial, Stratford, etc. Now if you said nobody with money in Houston sends their children to public school with good football (not counting the suburbs), then that might be more accurate.

7 hours ago, Assman said:

As someone who's spent a large portion of their life in Dallas, Austin, and San Antonio, but not Houston, why doesn't H-Town have an old money high school that churns out state titles?

Memorial is the school, but doesn’t win anything. Four high schools in Spring Branch ISD probably doesn’t help. 

7 hours ago, Assman said:

As someone who's spent a large portion of their life in Dallas, Austin, and San Antonio, but not Houston, why doesn't H-Town have an old money high school that churns out state titles?

Jack Yates High School checking in...

You didn't say how much money and in which sport...

8 hours ago, Assman said:

Wouldn't Katy or The Woodlands kind of be that? Maybe not so much Katy anymore?

Does San Antonio even have that? Alamo Heights/Terrell Hills but they are dog shit at football.