2020 Texas HS football

LTtxfan

30 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

They do. It's called Katy. Also, Cy-Fair, North Shore and Houston Lamar are in the mix. 

I don't think the Lamar or North Shore are in locations where tons of wealthy people reside. 

I think for Houston it would be Bellaire or The Woodlands(?). Actually not too familiar with Houston area.

22 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Wouldn't Katy or The Woodlands kind of be that? Maybe not so much Katy anymore?

Does San Antonio even have that? Alamo Heights/Terrell Hills but they are dog shit at football.

We used to joke that Alamo Heights existed solely so we could compare luxury cars while Westlake laid half a hundred on them in the second round of the playoffs. 

Edited by Bateshorn

3 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

We used to joke that Alamo Heights existed solely so we could compare luxury cars while Westlake laid half a hundred in them on them second round of the playoffs. 

I don’t think Alamo Heights has the mojo it used to have as the older  wealthy ISD within a metro area like a Highland Park.  Over the last 10 years, they’ve kind of underwhelmed, especially in football.    I think a lot of the new and for that matter, older money in SA is locating outside the city towards Boerne (The Dominion, Fair Oaks)  or in one of the schools zones like Johnson which straddles the city and rural areas towards Bulverde.  

10 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

I don’t think Alamo Heights has the mojo it used to have as the older  wealthy ISD within a metro area like a Highland Park.  Over the last 10 years, they’ve kind of underwhelmed, especially in football.    I think a lot of the new and for that matter, older money in SA is locating outside the city towards Boerne (The Dominion, Fair Oaks)  or in one of the schools zones like Johnson which straddles the city and rural areas towards Bulverde.  

Lot of really nice subdivisions going up on the scenic loop/grey forrest area between 16 and i-10. I think this is a lot of the "newer" money. Boerne likely messed up already making two high schools. 

Both of their schools together only total 2931 kids according to the UIL numbers. They have the space out that way to not have to expand like that. 

Boerne: 1164.5

Champion: 1767

Edited by BurntOrange&White

40 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I don't think the Lamar or North Shore are in locations where tons of wealthy people reside. 

I think for Houston it would be Bellaire or The Woodlands(?). Actually not too familiar with Houston area.

Lamar is over in midtown near the Greenway/Upper Kirby district area where I used to work and live. There's old money over there. A lot of those neighborhoods are like lower Greenville and parts of Lakewood. 

12 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Just referring to really successful type teams. Duncanville,  Cedar Hill, DeSoto etc are probably better examples of larger single school ISDs that have that advantage. North Shore is not a single school but might as well be. 

I would add Aledo and Argyle to the list of dominant surban single school programs. 

• Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Lot of really nice subdivisions going up on the scenic loop/grey forrest area between 16 and i-10. I think this is a lot of the "newer" money. Boerne likely messed up already making two high schools. 

Both of their schools together only total 2931 kids according to the UIL numbers. They have the space out that way to not have to expand like that. 

Boerne: 1164.5

Champion: 1767

I think Boerne wants to keep their schools in the 5a range and Boerne high is trending close to 5A numbers.     Comal ISD might do the same with another high school coming on board that will take some of Smithson Valley’s enrollment.  

3 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

I think Boerne wants to keep their schools in the 5a range and Boerne high is trending close to 5A numbers.     Comal ISD might do the same with another high school coming on board that will take some of Smithson Valley’s enrollment.  

Sad, Boerne has the demographic make up where with the right coach they could build a nice stadium, facilities, and etc. 

Creating so many schools is really hurting San Antonio IMO. It's splitting what little talent they have too much.

11 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I’m from two of those areas and have family in Southlake. You made the comment they’re all the same and several people who know otherwise, because we live there, then chimed in. We are not arguing anything. 

We are not a monolith. 

Yep ^^^^

I live in the town next too Southlake and the biggest difference between HP and Southlake is the multi generational wealth HP has and one is urban and the other is truly suburban. Another comparison is look at the two main shopping hubs and the stores/brands. Highland Park Village vs Southlake Town Center is not even in the same world. 

As others have pointed out the Houston area does not have the same single school district set up where the program can be implemented from the ground up so to speak as compared to Westlake, Lake Travis,  Southlake, or Aledo.

The Woodlands is one of multiple schools in Conroe iSD,  got hurt when they opened College Park,  Oakridge pulled a few kids away, as well as the newest high school.  You can find the pattern around the area as a school we have a very good run and then the district will add new schools with growth.  

North Shore is a different animal as you haven't had the residential growth in that area and Katy is the one exception, but that will most likely change when Joseph finally steps down from the throne.  

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Well Lamar is right off River Oaks Blvd. in the Upper Kirby district.  Lots of wealthy kids go to Lamar.  Or at least they used to in the 90's. 

I think a Houston equivalent(demographically at least) for Westlake would be Memorial.  Obviously without the success.

41 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Sad, Boerne has the demographic make up where with the right coach they could build a nice stadium, facilities, and etc. 

Creating so many schools is really hurting San Antonio IMO. It's splitting what little talent they have too much.

Champion has done better than Boerne since Champion has been in existence.  And not just in football, but other sports as well. Champions attendance zone takes in a bunch of the newer housing developments going down I-10 toward Fair Oaks and The Dominion areas.  Now some of that is starting to back build into Boerne High's attendance zone, so they might see some benefit soon.   

Honestly I think 5A is the perfect classification when it comes to being accommodate numbers on your sports rosters.   I can't even begin to imagine having to try out for baseball or basketball at a high school like Allen.   Football has to be a be a task and it's easy to imagine in many of their sports, numerous kids who could have started at other schools where bypassed or bench players.    

6 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Champion has done better than Boerne since Champion has been in existence.  And not just in football, but other sports as well. Champions attendance zone takes in a bunch of the newer housing developments going down I-10 toward Fair Oaks and The Dominion areas.  Now some of that is starting to back build into Boerne High's attendance zone, so they might see some benefit soon.   

Honestly I think 5A is the perfect classification when it comes to being accommodate numbers on your sports rosters.   I can't even begin to imagine having to try out for baseball or basketball at a high school like Allen.   Football has to be a be a task and it's easy to imagine in many of their sports, numerous kids who could have started at other schools where bypassed or bench players.    

Isn't Champion really good at baseball?

3 hours ago, Tylerocks said:

Well Lamar is right off River Oaks Blvd. in the Upper Kirby district.  Lots of wealthy kids go to Lamar.  Or at least they used to in the 90's. 

I think a Houston equivalent(demographically at least) for Westlake would be Memorial.  Obviously without the success.

The portion of Spring Branch that is north of the Katy Freeway is absolute shit and unless Eanes is at least 25% Asian then Memorial isn't comparable.  Houston is much more diversified than I think some here realize and I just don't mean the split between White, Black, and Hispanic students. 

Sounds like it’s one of the only areas of the state without totally fucked up priorities.

1 minute ago, DanRydell said:

Sounds like it’s one of the only areas of the state without totally fucked up priorities.

Probably so....

We currently live in Helotes but debating on getting another house either up i-10 to get into the Boerne school district or up 281 to get into the Johnson high area location. 

According to what I researched the best public schools in the SA area are the Boerne schools, Johnson, and Reagan. 

Here are pics from Saturday night at the Death Star. Attendance was limited to 15,000. Last year, the 6A D1 championship attendance was announced at 47,000 and our D2 game was 34,000. 

The last pic is the end of the game, which is why the Southlake stands look more empty. It was probably my fave sporting event that I've ever attended.  

Again, anyone who says Ewers isn't great doesn't know much about football. He was running for his life for much of the second half and still managed some amazing throws. That dude is a baller. He looked like a pro out there. 

I am predicting that we won't have to face him next year. With Charles Wright gone to UT,  Austin High should return to their normal suckiness and won't make the playoffs and our Chaps will be happily relegated to 6A D2. 

Thanks. 

Chaps-3.jpg

Chaps1.jpg

Edited by TreatyOak
  • Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Probably so....

We currently live in Helotes but debating on getting another house either up i-10 to get into the Boerne school district or up 281 to get into the Johnson high area location. 

According to what I researched the best public schools in the SA area are the Boerne schools, Johnson, and Reagan. 

Had two older cousins go to Reagan and their youngest sibling went to Johnson. Hard to beat Johnson imo. Almost 20% of the student body is low income, relatively diverse student population mix (hispanics are largest group at just 45%), decent sports, 2 middle schools that fully feed into it, and it’s one of the highest performing schools in the city. It has a similar demographic makeup as Reagan & Reagan is better at sports, but snooty factor is just too high at Reagan imo. I’d recommend johnson to anyone looking for a good public school in SA.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Westlake and HP are miles ahead of SLC and LT academically.  Westlake and HP excel at literally everything.  

Yeah I don't think the kids at SLC or LT will be able to overcome these bigass first world problems that they have. I almost feel bad for them. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Laga4 said:

https://www.niche.com/k12/search/best-school-districts/s/texas/

You can find just about anything on the internet.

Well, played, my friend, very well played.

US News & World Report isn't some random internet site, as their HS & college rankings are highly coveted.

Still, that's a great source you provided, so I appreciate it. 

• Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, TreatyOak said:

Here are pics from Saturday night at the Death Star. Attendance was limited to 15,000. Last year, the 6A D1 championship attendance was announced at 47,000 and our D2 game was 34,000. 

The last pic is the end of the game, which is why the Southlake stands look more empty. It was probably my fave sporting event that I've ever attended.  

Again, anyone who says Ewers isn't great doesn't know much about football. He was running for his life for much of the second half and still managed some amazing throws. That dude is a baller. He looked like a pro out there. 

I am predicting that we won't have to face him next year. With Charles Wright gone to UT,  Austin High should return to their normal suckiness and won't make the playoffs and our Chaps will be happily relegated to 6A D2. 

Thanks. 

Chaps-3.jpg

Chaps1.jpg

Nice pics but lacking milfs. Thought you were better than this, @TreatyOak  

Thought this may be of interest to the history buffs from the one and only Craig Way.

Top 10 of all time. No better source than Craig Way, the state’s preeminent high school expert. He did his usual spectacular job of calling the two 6A state football championships. I asked him where the Chaps rank all-time in his personal list of the top classification champions. Way picked 2019 Galena Park North Shore as his “most complete team ever” with its back-to-back state championship, followed in order by the 2015 Katy team that had “perhaps the best high school football defense ever in 6A," this year’s Westlake team with its “incredible defense and explosive and maturing offense," followed by 2016 Lake Travis and its “best offense of the highest classification” and Kyler Murray’s final 2014 Allen squad that three-peated. His next five are Cedric Benson’s three-peating Rebels of Midland Lee in 2000, 2006 Southlake Carroll for Todd Dodge’s fourth title in five seasons, Jessie Armstead and Dallas Carter’s 1988 team, Jerod Douglas and the 1993 Converse Judson team, and a tie between the 1991 Odessa Permian club that beat Priest Holmes’ San Antonio Marshall and the “great goshamighty, Joe Friday” John Tyler club in 1994 that had the “greatest finish ever in a playoff game."

https://www.statesman.com/story/sports/2021/01/19/kirk-bohls-chaps-among-best-high-school-state-football-champions-ever/4221144001/

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, torre said:

Thought this may be of interest to the history buffs from the one and only Craig Way.

Top 10 of all time. No better source than Craig Way, the state’s preeminent high school expert. He did his usual spectacular job of calling the two 6A state football championships. I asked him where the Chaps rank all-time in his personal list of the top classification champions. Way picked 2019 Galena Park North Shore as his “most complete team ever” with its back-to-back state championship, followed in order by the 2015 Katy team that had “perhaps the best high school football defense ever in 6A," this year’s Westlake team with its “incredible defense and explosive and maturing offense," followed by 2016 Lake Travis and its “best offense of the highest classification” and Kyler Murray’s final 2014 Allen squad that three-peated. His next five are Cedric Benson’s three-peating Rebels of Midland Lee in 2000, 2006 Southlake Carroll for Todd Dodge’s fourth title in five seasons, Jessie Armstead and Dallas Carter’s 1988 team, Jerod Douglas and the 1993 Converse Judson team, and a tie between the 1991 Odessa Permian club that beat Priest Holmes’ San Antonio Marshall and the “great goshamighty, Joe Friday” John Tyler club in 1994 that had the “greatest finish ever in a playoff game."

https://www.statesman.com/story/sports/2021/01/19/kirk-bohls-chaps-among-best-high-school-state-football-champions-ever/4221144001/

1985 Yates needs to be in there somewhere. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Laga4 said:

1985 Yates needs to be in there somewhere. 

I remember the yates coaching saying he refused to run up the score on permian, so he started pulling starters very early in the game. he said, you just don't do that to permian. 

https://www.chron.com/local/history/sports/article/Best-ever-Yates-set-the-standard-with-its-state-9124663.php

Yates was the first University Interscholastic League Class 5A team to go 16-0, as it set a single-season record with 659 points scored (41.1 points per game), while posting eight shutouts and allowing only 4.8 points a game.

It finished off the magnificent year in style with a 37-0 romp over renowned West Texas power Odessa Permian, putting an end to the Panthers' 33-game unbeaten streak.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Anyone who puts the Dallas Carter team among the greats doesn't know shit.  They were loaded with talent, but weren't close to being a dominant team.  

They get the hype in part to their portrayal in the Friday Night Lights movie. As fictional as it was in the movie. 

• Like 1