Frasier

Vic Mackey

21 hours ago, Junior Miller said:

Holy shit I had to look that up as I never knew that existed. I stand corrected. 

While I've seen every episode of Seinfeld and Frasier multiple times the only time I ever watched Friends was when I was with a girl who wanted to watch it. Just wasn't a show I liked much. 

Apparently the rape allegation against Grammer was from a babysitter who brought forth the allegation over a year after it allegedly took place. DA refused to follow up with charges since she waited so long and didn't have any evidence like a rape kit done right away. While looking that up I found this quote from a former Frasier writer that's a funny mental image. 

"He would ooze into the studio, his life all out of sorts. Jimmy would say "Action," and he would snap into Frasier and expound in this very erudite dialogue and be pitch-perfect. And Jimmy would yell "Cut!" and he would ooze back into Kelsey—glazed-over eyes, half asleep, going through whatever he was going through. It was the most amazing transformation I'd ever seen."

The last name of the man who murdered Kelsey’s father when Kelsey was 13 was...

Niles. 

NBC was going to make a tv show about two gay dudes who lived with their dad, but got cold feet (this was 1993 or whenever). They changed it to Frasier and Niles. 

Also, I read an article probably a year ago about this coming back, with Frasier being a big Trump supporter. No CR, but that would be ridiculous for so many reasons. Mainly it wouldn't fit the character, at all. 

I literally just started watching Cheers from the start, so this hits close to home.  I was too young when it came out and didn't catch on until well after Dianne left and Woody showed up...so I missed the first couple seasons.  Greatness.

I'll probably watch Frasier afterwards.

On 2/14/2020 at 10:44 AM, yoladu said:

Yep! Reasons below:

• 4 times married
    • first wife - dance instructor
    • second wife - hair and makeup stylistfiled for an annulment when Csuhany was three months pregnant and evicted her from their home. Grammer claimed she was abusive and fired a gun at him
    • third wife - dancer and model
    • fourth wife - flight attendant (25 years his junior)
  • 7 kids, one illegitimate with hair and makeup stylist Barrie Buckner
  • alcoholism
  • coke addiction
  • a DWI in 1988
  • 2 arrests for possession of cocaine
  • statutory rape accusation
  • in 1996 crashed his "Dodge Viper' while intoxicated
  • alleged sex tape(s)
  • part of a copyright lawsuit

at best, pretty damn smarmy

I thought you were more live and let live than that. Interesting that we all have our limits.

25 minutes ago, Red Five said:

He was only cast because someone saw his head shot and thought "Huh, this guy sure looks like Kelsey Grammar". 

I thought he was cast as a different character because he had a great reputation and that the similarity in appearance made them change the character to Frazier's brother.

Also, Frazier and Niles speak the way they do because they're snobs as much as anything else. 

Niles had other small physical comedy bits often in the background of the main action. It's still an easy show to happen upon and watch until the end on cable, but that makes me wonder how much we channel surf with streaming and recorded TV always having a backlog of choices for us.

On 2/15/2020 at 1:00 PM, Drew said:

I literally just started watching Cheers from the start, so this hits close to home.  I was too young when it came out and didn't catch on until well after Dianne left and Woody showed up...so I missed the first couple seasons.  Greatness.

I'll probably watch Frasier afterwards.

I have been working my way through Cheers as well, I am part way through season 10 now. Definitely moving on to Frasier after.

On 2/14/2020 at 2:18 AM, Junior Miller said:

I believe Frazier was scientifically proven to be the best show to watch as you go to sleep. So relaxing 

This was how I came to discover the show when I was still in high school. It was always on late nights about 11pm. This was about the time I would be getting ready for bed in those days. Perfect show to relax to and get ready to sleep.

So much greatness in this show that could not appreciated by the teenager version of myself.

7 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Halfway into season 3 and Diane Chambers makes an appearance. Totally forgot she and Frasier dated during Cheers and she left him at the altar. I think that's when his personality morphed from very tame into the personality he has now. I think?

i think he was originally slated to have a short run as Diane Chambers fiancé (originally very straight laced), but he became such a popular character that he remained on the show long after Shelly Long left - marrying Lilith, of course.

Image result for frasier running with scissors gif

Edited by yoladu
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, yoladu said:

i think he was originally slated to have a short run as Diane Chambers fiancé (originally very straight laced), but he became such a popular character that he remained on the show long after Shelly Long left - marrying Lilith, of course.

Image result for frasier running with scissors gif

Mmmmmmmmmm Liiiiiiiiiiilllith.....  Bebe always did it for me.

• 2 years later...
39 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

I am as well. Frasier is one of the top network sitcoms. Such great writing and acting. The ensemble was perfection.

Some of my favorites,

Lilith’s return
The Dead Sea lion
The musical beds at the lodge
The bad actor mentor

Yes.  Also the one where they compete to be head of wine club 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, HiggyBaby said:

We never should have tried this, we’re not Jewish!

just finished the Christmas episode, so great

Looking forward to the reboot, I think 

A Christmas episode. I’m not sure how many others I could recall off the top of my head. There was the one where Frasier hosted the parade with Dr. Mary and she stepped all over his banter. The one where Martin had to work on Christmas so they swapped all the presents from Frasier’s apt to under the tree at Martin’s workplace. The one where Frasier had to work and stopped at a diner on his way home dressed in a ratty sweatshirt, lost his wallet, and was mistaken for a homeless person by the other homeless people. The one where Frederick was visiting and Frasier couldn’t find a good present for him but Martin got Frasier the Outlaw Robo-Geek (or whatever) that Frederick wanted. There was the one where they had the office party and Frasier was assigned to give a ride home to the office lush who always became overly amorous. That had a scene with a hot stripper chick dressed in a Santa suit trying to distract Frasier while he was on the air. Yummy.

Those are the ones I can think of. I remember other situations but couldn’t tie them to a specific episode. Lots of squabbling between Martin and Frasier over decorations. And there was that one where Roz was working as an elf and had a crush on the dept store Santa. When she saw him out of his Santa suit and found that he was a tall, slim, handsome investment banker (or something similar), she lost interest. Daphne was giving her shit for having a thing for Santa. “You’re a ho ho hoe!”

i think of Frasier as the last 'adult' sitcom i watched/enjoyed.

there have been other shows since that i loved with mature themes and humor - 30 Rock, The Office, Veep, etc - but they all had some core element of slapstick/over-the-top silliness. everything else seemed to be family/kid focused.

Frasier was like the last of that breed.

ETA actually...i think Curb qualifies. i mean it also has some real silliness at times, but in general it feels like most of the situations could be real. in fact that's usually what makes it so funny...the awkward situations that could totally happen in real life bc Larry says/does what we are all thinking but would never say/do 😄

once CYE is over...i don't know what else fills that spot.

Edited by mchookem
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

A Christmas episode. I’m not sure how many others I could recall off the top of my head. There was the one where Frasier hosted the parade with Dr. Mary and she stepped all over his banter. The one where Martin had to work on Christmas so they swapped all the presents from Frasier’s apt to under the tree at Martin’s workplace. The one where Frasier had to work and stopped at a diner on his way home dressed in a ratty sweatshirt, lost his wallet, and was mistaken for a homeless person by the other homeless people. The one where Frederick was visiting and Frasier couldn’t find a good present for him but Martin got Frasier the Outlaw Robo-Geek (or whatever) that Frederick wanted. There was the one where they had the office party and Frasier was assigned to give a ride home to the office lush who always became overly amorous. That had a scene with a hot stripper chick dressed in a Santa suit trying to distract Frasier while he was on the air. Yummy.

Those are the ones I can think of. I remember other situations but couldn’t tie them to a specific episode. Lots of squabbling between Martin and Frasier over decorations. And there was that one where Roz was working as an elf and had a crush on the dept store Santa. When she saw him out of his Santa suit and found that he was a tall, slim, handsome investment banker (or something similar), she lost interest. Daphne was giving her shit for having a thing for Santa. “You’re a ho ho hoe!”

Yeah I should have been specific. The one where Frasier pretended to be Jewish for his girlfriend’s mother. 

22 minutes ago, HiggyBaby said:

Yeah I should have been specific. The one where Frasier pretended to be Jewish for his girlfriend’s mother. 

“Jesus!”

I knew which one you were talking about. That was a good one.

And thinking back to that other one with Freddie’s present, I think it was the Outlaw Laser Robo-Geek. Or maybe the Laser Outlaw Robo-Geek. <sigh>  Now I have to look it up.

It was the former.