NASA Spots 'Potentially Hazardous' Asteroid Rapidly Approaching Earth

Biff Tannen

The Earth can survive a direct hit by some fairly large objects and has proven to be capable in the past, as has the moon.  I would assume anything large enough to destroy the moon would also be large enough to have a much more significant impact on the Earth than any asteroid we know about.  I would also assume that said object would be big enough to have already been found. 

The Moon sports the 2nd largest known impact crater in the solar system at ~1400 miles in diameter and 8 miles deep.

At 6 tenths of a mile in diameter, this asteroid would be like Rhea Perlman trying to dunk on Dikembe Mutombo.

Edited by smuggs
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Hate said:

The Earth can survive a direct hit by some fairly large objects and has proven to be capable in the past, as has the moon.  I would assume anything large enough to destroy the moon would also be large enough to have a much more significant impact on the Earth than any asteroid we know about.  I would also assume that said object would be big enough to have already been found. 

Not necessarily. We aren't actively looking for them. Its a big sky, not a lot of telescopes.

On 2/14/2020 at 5:34 PM, SquishMitten said:

Well, yeah. The moon being shattered would be more devastating then a direct hit on the planet. None of us would live more than a few years after that

Yeah, but what the fuck are we supposed to do with all that cheese? Provided it all doesn't burn up in the Earth's atmosphere.

CHIEF

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

Yeah, but what the fuck are we supposed to do with all that cheese? Provided it all doesn't burn up in the Earth's atmosphere.

CHIEF

Don't worry, I've got that covered*....but you best get to work making  a SHITLOAD of tortilla chips....

1433674889093.jpeg

* Bowl depicted not actual size.  Actual size bowl will be the Grand Canyon.

Edited by Brisketexan

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Don't worry, I've got that covered*....but you best get to work making  a SHITLOAD of tortilla chips....

1433674889093.jpeg

* Bowl depicted not actual size.  Actual size bowl will be the Grand Canyon.

I wonder if HEB has enough Rotel, provided it's open?

CHIEF

Not necessarily. We aren't actively looking for them. Its a big sky, not a lot of telescopes.

Yeah, but the only “planet killers” out there are dwarf planets and we know about all of those. There are certainly asteroids that we don’t know about that could cause extinction events, but nothing that could actually destroy the Earth or Moon.

38 minutes ago, Hate said:

Yeah, but the only “planet killers” out there are dwarf planets and we know about all of those. There are certainly asteroids that we don’t know about that could cause extinction events, but nothing that could actually destroy the Earth or Moon.

Well, yeah, because we have some badass drill bits and explosives and the bravest man I've ever met.

18 hours ago, Hate said:

How do you know there isn't an asteroid out there full of some unknown space-tannerite substance? 

Just now, El Diablo said:

Do asteroids ever do anything at a reasonable pace? It's always "hurtling thru space" or "rapidly approaching earth" and on and on.... wtf

You're welcome to write the "Asteroid casually saunters by at a safe distance" headline for your soon-to-go-out-of-business newspaper.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

You're welcome to write the "Asteroid casually saunters by at a safe distance" headline for your soon-to-go-out-of-business newspaper.

"Asteroid Shoulder Checks Planet Earth In Crowded Mall". See exclusive video of the fight that broke out - GalaxyStarHipHop.

• Like 4