Body cam shows officer shooting at suspect who tried to run him over

Goo Punch

I think this looks worse than it really is for the cop because the guy in the end was just trying to get past him to try and run. 
had the guy intended to hit the cop, would stepping aside have been sufficient?

cop put himself in a vulnerable position, but once the guy decided to drive towards the cop that gave the cop authority to discharge his weapon, and he chose to do so. 

On 2/14/2020 at 10:34 AM, Parliament said:

He was justified in shooting, but he'd be better off today if he'd just stepped out of the way.  Cops woulda easily caught the driver.

But that would have denied him the chance to shoot a real live human being!

What the fuck are you thinking?

On 2/14/2020 at 4:16 PM, Huckleberry said:

Saying the driver tried to run the officer over is obviously incorrect. The driver clearly did not try to run the officer over.

But there was no way for the officer to be sure of that in that moment so fear for his life was not completely unreasonable at that time.

Both things can be, and in fact are, true.

Yup.

There was zero intent to injure that cop.  

There was 100% intent to make him move so an escape could be made.

On 2/14/2020 at 8:53 PM, Jkwellborn said:

The driver planned on running from the onset.

On 2/14/2020 at 9:09 PM, Goo Punch said:

look to me it's this simple- the cop is the professional here. the cop is the one who is on his job and needs to be on his game. i don't think there's a single person here who isn't critical of the driver's actions, but at the same time we absolutely should not hold the random crazy pedestrian and the on-duty professional to the same standards in a situation like this. the professional in this scenario (a guy with backup, body armor, lethal and non-lethal weapons, and two perfectly functioning legs) made two mistakes here that simply can't be overlooked or absolved:

1)he put himself in front of the car. how anyone can act like this isn't an insane and out-of-protocol thing for him to do is beyond me. 

2)he fired his weapon when he just as easily could have corrected his first big mistake by stepping out of the way of the slowly moving vehicle that he had inexplicably put himself in front of. 

If we're going to "back the blue", and treat these guys like the heroes they claim to be, then we need to hold them to a heroic standard. what this cop did was stupid and reckless, and it only escalated the situation 100x over in the blink of an eye, and now someone is dead and at least one other person likely has severe trauma that will stay with them forever. there's no justifying any of that. this could have and should have been avoided. 

I'm just curious Derka, if the cop did what you would have wanted him to do, and the driver is able to escape and flies around the corner and kills your kid standing by the road waiting for the school bus.......would you still feel like the cop did the right thing?