Texas @ Rice Series Thread

Horny Bull

37 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Is duplantier going to hit and field down the road?  Last I saw here was only an injury was keeping him focused on pitching. 

He's looking like our setup man, possibly closer at this point. Donny and Dre, Dre and Donnny

Great series, even if these are Wayne Graham-less Owls. Offensively, there’s a lot of improvement to talk about. Defensively, it appears we’ve got a great DP duo, & a 3rd sacker who can be counted upon.

Pierce has a lot of pitchers to sort through, but that’s a good thing. 

It appears we’re on our way back. I’m encouraged.

Hook ‘em. 

7 hours ago, Lobo said:

Yep and 32 instead of 33 home games.  7 total games in Houston.  

I honestly have no clue about boise state baseball.  I wonder what'll happen?

They've just been resurrected this year - they don't even have a stadium yet. Texas is their first game in 40 years.

https://www.idahopress.com/news/local/bsu-will-go-ahead-with-its-own-baseball-stadium/article_70c2a02b-edf8-5249-b8e0-70bdc07c3a4b.html

Edited by texifornia
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

not a true road game?

the definition of "true road game" that I'm familiar with is a game that's at the opponents home gym, stadium, park. Minute Maid is a neutral site

Regardless of road or neutral site, that's our biggest test of the young season. LSU and Arkansas,  then Mizzou. Big stadium,  lots of fans and a good test. 

56 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

Why would Quintanilla not be your highest leverage reliever?

Perhaps I'm confused on what you mean by highest leverage. Tristan Stevens has been pretty effective as a stopper dating back to last year. He's effectively wild compared to a consistent strike thrower like Cole. I like Cole a lot, he's going to be great, but if I recall, he got a lot of the plate last year when he was ahead in counts which ballooned his ERA in conference play. Maybe his stuff is just a little better this year so he can get away with it? 

16 minutes ago, B00M said:

Perhaps I'm confused on what you mean by highest leverage. Tristan Stevens has been pretty effective as a stopper dating back to last year. He's effectively wild compared to a consistent strike thrower like Cole. I like Cole a lot, he's going to be great, but if I recall, he got a lot of the plate last year when he was ahead in counts which ballooned his ERA in conference play. Maybe his stuff is just a little better this year so he can get away with it? 

I wouldn't project Stevens to give up fewer hits this season than Cole based on what they did last season.  What is more meaningful in evaluating how each pitcher will perform this season is that Cole got far more Ks while walking fewer batters than Stevens last year.  The only other relievers on the staff with Cole's ability to miss bats struggle terribly to find the zone.    

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

I wouldn't project Stevens to give up fewer hits this season than Cole based on what they did last season.  What is more meaningful in evaluating how each pitcher will perform this season is that Cole got far more Ks while walking fewer batters than Stevens last year.  The only other relievers on the staff with Cole's ability to miss bats struggle terribly to find the zone.    

K:BB is something pitchers obsess over but it isn't the whole story. Asking Stevens to get just 1-2 outs to wiggle out of jams when there's a base open has typically worked. He'll probably walk a guy but he's just as likely to create weak contact by making a guy chase. Opposing batting averages vs Stevens were .205 last year compared to .250 for Cole. Cole definitely has more professional potential and could be used in seemingly any role in the staff (perhaps hes a weekend starter next year?), but Stevens has embraced the back-to-back(-back?) day stopper role that most guys probably want to avoid for the long term health of their arms. 

6 minutes ago, B00M said:

K:BB is something pitchers obsess over but it isn't the whole story. Asking Stevens to get just 1-2 outs to wiggle out of jams when there's a base open has typically worked. He'll probably walk a guy but he's just as likely to create weak contact by making a guy chase. Opposing batting averages vs Stevens were .205 last year compared to .250 for Cole. Cole definitely has more professional potential and could be used in seemingly any role in the staff (perhaps hes a weekend starter next year?), but Stevens has embraced the back-to-back(-back?) day stopper role that most guys probably want to avoid for the long term health of their arms. 

Yeah, I like Stevens in the mid-inning role as well.  Based on this weekend's limited sample size, Duplantier and Diaz made a great case to be our go-to late-inning guys.  Not sure where CQ will fit in, but he'll certainly have a role.  Like I said before, there's a lot of baseball to be played this week against competition that will allow for some experimentation.

Edited by zlavydra

5 hours ago, texifornia said:

They've just been resurrected this year - they don't even have a stadium yet. Texas is their first game in 40 years.

https://www.idahopress.com/news/local/bsu-will-go-ahead-with-its-own-baseball-stadium/article_70c2a02b-edf8-5249-b8e0-70bdc07c3a4b.html

I didn't realize their program had been dormant for 41 seasons.  How cool is that, their first games in nearly a half-century is in Austin against the Texas Longhorns?  

I assume they don't bring back much experience on their roster?