Austin Code enforcement, garage door with holes, fix options.

horn4life

Here is the situation: A former teacher of my kids and a neighbor who is retired got tagged by the code enforcement department for her garage door.  The thing is literally falling apart and if I lived next door I would be calling.  Catch is the garage if full of shit, I mean tons of crap, basically she's a hoarder. So there is not way to get into the garage, or room to properly hang a new door. I'm mainly trying to help her out as I really, really, really want me to sell me her Mom's house in my neighborhood. I have helped her with some maintenance on that house so my greed is a partial drive here.  Mostly I don't want to do anything that might make Code Enforcement look even more closely at her as who knows how nasty the inside of her house is.  She could find herself in real trouble potentially if the code enforcement guy saw the inside (I assume it's bad). The house I covet is full of crap, so I assume her residence is too.

So I gave her two options: Option 1: Frame out the doorway and simply put up stained cedar siding. It would look great by comparison and fit the neighborhood.  But I am guessing a permit would need to be pulled for that?  Option 2: get a dumpster and replace the door properly.  Option 3) Pics of the old lady before any answers!

I and every normal person would opt for option 2, but option 1 it is!   So how hard would it be for me to pull a permit with the City?  I have an LLC I use to pull permits in Corpus but that's an easy in and out deal with them, as their primary concern is that construction is windstorm certified. I'm Sure here in Austin it's not a couple hour deal. Just trying to help and old lady out.  

i wouldn't pull a permit for it. But with code enforcement officer already up her ass, I don't want to pop it up and then have code enforcement officer pissed off.  She has to satisfy or have a plan by the end of the month, and she texted me yesterday.  The existing "fix" is some plywood painted and wedged under the second panel to hold the garage door up.  I have to remove that wood to be able to put in a frame.  I think the second I mess with the plywood the door may just fall apart.

I'm sure my masters in hillbilly engineering will devise a way to support the door. But I am almost hoping the code guy insists on permits, or the dumpster and do it right option.  

You have to pull a permit to make a garage door non-functional, as this essentially enlarges the square footage of the house.  You would then have to ensure current codes are followed with regards to fire egress, any electrical or hvac work.  With code enforcement already being on her and you not wanting them in the house, this is probably not the best course of action.

I'd say option 2 is your easiest and cheapest option.  If it's not truly falling down in pieces, think about bondo'ing any holes so it appears functional and whole from the outside.  That would likely make the code officer satisfied.

I think she really needs to go option 2.  I told her to talk to the code guy and I am sure the neighbor who is complaining would be thrilled beyond imagination if I put up the cedar.  The evil side of my brain says just do it.  Let code enforcement get after her, let her beg for my help, and use that leverage to get her to sign a contract on he Mom's house for my saving her. Unfortunately for me, I am just not kind of guy.  

And yes, I was already having her try to call the code officer. 

12 minutes ago, drt said:

You have to pull a permit to make a garage door non-functional, as this essentially enlarges the square footage of the house.  You would then have to ensure current codes are followed with regards to fire egress, any electrical or hvac work.  With code enforcement already being on her and you not wanting them in the house, this is probably not the best course of action.

I'd say option 2 is your easiest and cheapest option.  If it's not truly falling down in pieces, think about bondo'ing any holes so it appears functional and whole from the outside.  That would likely make the code officer satisfied.

Electrical and HVAC work, fire egress ?  To fill in a door ? 

1 hour ago, drt said:

You obviously don't live in Austin.  This happens every few years as south Austin has a ton of garage conversions: https://www.fox7austin.com/news/code-department-cracking-down-on-decades-old-garage-conversions-in-south-austin

No I don't, but direct fire egress is typically only required from bedrooms. 

Drt is right, the best way is to clear out some of the shit, and have a new door installed, put all her shit back in.  Maybe get a Pod for all of that. It's her house, so you intervening... be careful because code enforcement is already there, dont make it worse for her. Stop the bleeding by doing the right thing

Can I hi-jack the thread for a second?  My neighbor is burning pressure treated pine, from his deck, in his fireplace.  Evidently my house is a sieve and the smoke is poisoning me.  Is this a code violation?

That violates TCEQ code RG-049 Outdoor Burning in Texas. Contact the Fire Marshal’s office to make a complaint.

I would reface the thing but the wood on the bottom two panels is so rotten that there just isn't enough good wood to tie to.  Right now plywood is wedged under the second panel at about 70 degrees, and the second panel is now rotted to hell as well.  

My Hillbilly engineering analysis is that I think I could put in a new door , panel by panel without clearing out the garage, by removing the rollers off the back of the door.  Then somehow spread the bottom of the existing rails to allow me to slide in the rollers into the rail, the reattach to the back of the doors.  I would have to clear out a little bit of the shit to be able to get in and hinge the panels together, but I think it wold work.  Now whether I can open up the rail enough to insert the rollers is a different question as these rails I am sure are heavy duty from the 1970's.

If she got the outside handle option I could probably cut a slit to allow the door lock to slide into the existing rail.  Then she could lock it, and the next time it would be opened would be after her death...