Dwyane Wade

Sbbruin

You know, I was never a Heat fan, or a Marquette fan, but this dude is a great dude.  Listening to Stephen A., I remember well when he took Marquette to the Final Four.  Turned out to be a HOF pro, but he really seems to be a really great guy.  Likely to do more post career like Kobe might have done,  He is now one of my favs.

for those who are confused, D Wade has a son named Zion who has transitioned to a transgender girl named Zaya. D Wade and Gabrielle Union have been coming out publicly with all kinds of support for Zaya, and are essentially trying to use their platform to not only give their own views and personal experiences, but to simply support their kid in a major way. i believe they have a documentary about all of this that's coming out soon, which i assume was the impetus for the OP.

Yeah you're not gonna find an audience for much good to say about Wade here.     I think the doc is just about him though.   His career and some of his time after.     I don't think it is about Zaya.  

He seems to be genuinely a good guy and a very devoted father.    Much like Kobe, I admired and respected his game (he is probably the 3rd best SG ever) but came to like him more over the last few yrs for his off court life.   The trouble he and Gabrielle had having a child and then finally having to resort to surrogacy was a good story.      The way he handled Zaya's life and transition so far has been something special.

19 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Always felt like an attention whore to me.  But I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he isn’t blasting all this about his kid for attention. 

Still will always be seen as a bitch for the way him and LBJ giggled like school girls at Dirk...then lost.  

This. D-Wade is a douche. Great for their son/daughter whatever....who really cares. Just go away D-Wade

Edited by immortal13

I have an honest question. No BS answers. I hope this doesn't derail this thread. I keep reading about this stuff almost everyday. Can  someone honestly tell me how a 6, 8 or 12 year old knows that he was born the wrong gender.  If a girl likes to play baseball, that doesn't mean she should be a boy. To me, this seems like a desperate cry for attention like when someone in Hollywood is out of the limelight, you can bet that it won't be long before they claim that they were abused as a kid by a parent, uncle, etc.

Any serious responses and if you do, I will let you on my lawn.

1 hour ago, realgreggym said:

I have an honest question. No BS answers. I hope this doesn't derail this thread. I keep reading about this stuff almost everyday. Can  someone honestly tell me how a 6, 8 or 12 year old knows that he was born the wrong gender.  If a girl likes to play baseball, that doesn't mean she should be a boy. To me, this seems like a desperate cry for attention like when someone in Hollywood is out of the limelight, you can bet that it won't be long before they claim that they were abused as a kid by a parent, uncle, etc.

Serious Response:  

Every situation is different.

No doubt that some do it for the attention... some actually believe they are transgender and may be. Lots of folks today searching for answers.

Also a lot more "look at me and who I am" on Social Media today.

Edited by LTtxfan
typo

2 hours ago, realgreggym said:

I knew I liked girls when I  was 5.      If I can make that decision at that age I'm not sure why someone who is gay wouldnt know pretty early as well.

D-Wade is the quintessential example of an annoying douchebag on the court...that no one anywhere has a bad word to say about him off it. Obviously, we don't know celebrities at all, but he seems like a solid dude.

Good on them to use their fame while they still have it to shine a bright light on these issues, and hopefully create a better, more accepting world for their daughter--and those like her--to grow up in.

2 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Serious Response:  

Every situation is different.

No doubt that some do it for the attention... some actually believe they are transgender and may be. Lots of folks today searching for answers.

Also a lot more "look at me and who I am" on Social Media today.

Thanks LT.  You're welcome on my lawn anytime.

This hits close to home, as my son goes to school with Zaya.

All indications are this is a legit transgender issue, and not some call for attention.  My understanding is the school and the students have been very supportive, so she is growing up in a healthy environment.

One interesting side bar:  the school has an Advisory class, where students can talk about different issues affecting them day to day.  Advisory has historically been a same sex class, however they've recently started a trial run of mixed classes.  They haven't announced anything, but I assume the awkwardness of which side a transgender student belongs was the impetus.  My son wasn't happy about these mixed Advisories at first, but reports after a few weeks it's no big deal and everyone has adjusted just fine.

3 hours ago, realgreggym said:

Additionally, I don't see a lot of people who feel that they are transgender try to change back.   I imagine it has happened but not anywhere near enough to just dismiss it as a "phase" or a "cry for attention".    

21 hours ago, realgreggym said:

They know. 

Just like at that age, you knew you weren't gay, probably.  So you liking girls at age 6, 8, or 12, was that your attempt a a deparate cry for help or nah?   

Wade marrying Union has helped him become more grounded I think.  I'm happy they as Black parents are supporting this because not enough Black parents do. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Pancho said:

They know. 

Just like at that age, you knew you weren't gay, probably.  So you liking girls at age 6, 8, or 12, was that your attempt a a deparate cry for help or nah?   

Wade marrying Union has helped him become more grounded I think.  I'm happy they as Black parents are supporting this because not enough Black parents do. 

I didn't like girls at that age because they all had cooties. At 18, I learned that cooties were not all that bad. I hope you're right about this kid and its that it has nothing to do with all of the publicity they are receiving. 

1 hour ago, realgreggym said:

I didn't like girls at that age because they all had cooties. At 18, I learned that cooties were not all that bad. I hope you're right about this kid and its that it has nothing to do with all of the publicity they are receiving. 

I know a kid that transitioned. Trust me, they can just feel it. This kid is so much happier now than before. 

[quote post="2050442" timestamp="1581716434" name="ChiTownDoc"

Still will always be seen as a bitch for the way him and LBJ giggled like school girls at Dirk...then lost.  

This right here. For some reason, I never held that against Lebron. But I fucking hate Wade and have thought of him as a little bitch ever since.

9 hours ago, Pancho said:

They know. 

Well then they know wrongly. The vast majority of kids with these issues outgrow them, that is settled science.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2697020/#!po=45.0000

On 2/15/2020 at 3:32 PM, d2o said:

Additionally, I don't see a lot of people who feel that they are transgender try to change back.   I imagine it has happened but not anywhere near enough to just dismiss it as a "phase" or a "cry for attention".    

Why would you make an announcement if you were admitting fault and changing back? There wouldn’t be much of a platform either. 

1 hour ago, Thetexashammer said:

Well then they know wrongly. The vast majority of kids with these issues outgrow them, that is settled science.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2697020/#!po=45.0000

Yes you linking one source on the issue concludes they outgrow it and it’s “settled science.”

One source.  That’s not how this works.  

7 hours ago, realgreggym said:

Just remember, just because it took you until 18 to know who you were doesn’t mean it takes everyone until that age.

11 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I know a kid that transitioned. Trust me, they can just feel it. This kid is so much happier now than before. 

yeah, same here. we've actually had a few transitions at our school, and i'm proud that we have such an open and welcoming environment for kids going through what must be a truly unbelievable identity crisis. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Tommy Shelby said:

Why would you make an announcement if you were admitting fault and changing back? There wouldn’t be much of a platform either. 

is that how you think these types of statistics are compiled? the trans people who decide to go back call a press conference to "admit fault" (??) and announce their resignation from the trans game?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

is that how you think these types of statistics are compiled? the trans people who decide to go back call a press conference to "admit fault" (??) and announce their resignation from the trans game?

Well if the trans person did go back, where would you get reliable stats? You think they go back to the same surgeon who did the procedure? Also if this is the case, why would the surgeon want to report those stats? Wouldn’t it show that they didn’t spend enough time with the patient pre-op to prevent 2 unnecessary surgeries? 

1 hour ago, Tommy Shelby said:

Well if the trans person did go back, where would you get reliable stats? You think they go back to the same surgeon who did the procedure? Also if this is the case, why would the surgeon want to report those stats? Wouldn’t it show that they didn’t spend enough time with the patient pre-op to prevent 2 unnecessary surgeries? 

Seems pretty clear that you don't even want to understand.

21 hours ago, Pancho said:

They know. 

Wade has always been grounded.  Even though the marriage didn't workout he married his first wife while he was still in college and stayed with her for over a decade before they divorced.  

1 hour ago, d2o said:

Seems pretty clear that you don't even want to understand.

Lol, I’ve been reading about this topic since like ‘08. I just don’t think sterilizing a kid is a healthy mechanism to help them fit in. Teaching them to realize that it doesn’t actually matter what you look like and that you can be attracted to whoever you want and take whatever role you want in the relationship. While guiding them through this process the kid has to also learn that some people won’t accept their viewpoints and it’s ok because they should be confident in who they are. 

The psych portion should be stressed more with more stern parenting (since the therapist/whoever only sees the child, at most, one hour a week). Not everything should be based on groupthink. 

Though, why I’m talking about this on a basketball board is beyond me.