Business owners: AmEx cards for sales employees?

markstanco

Doing this. They pay for flights and rentals and hotels and the company gets points back.

Question is, we have 4 of us on the program on the gold card status. If I upgrade to platinum they can hit is admirals club and the delta club and whatnot. That's an additional 1400 a year. Is this 1400 number a year negotiable with amex?

I don’t know if it’s negotiable but it’s worth it. One of the best rewards cards out their. Chase sapphire preferred is maybe better but not if you need unlimited charge limits that Amex provides. We use the platinum card and totally find it worth it and wouldn’t like spending that kinda cash for fees but we get way more than that in value per year.

I wouldn't work for anyone who didn't let me keep my miles/points unless they made it up with a finominal comp plan.

Yep, the only reason that I don’t mind a little travel is that I can use my own cards and keep the points that I can use with my family. If I couldn’t keep the points I wouldn’t go out in the field nearly as often.

On 2/14/2020 at 11:16 PM, BearSchlong said:

I wouldn't work for anyone who didn't let me keep my miles/points unless they made it up with a finominal comp plan.

I didn't know this was an option for a lot of companies, so I'm a little jealous. When my company got acquired the worst thing that happened was being forced to use a company credit card instead of my personal card. Still get all the airline and hotel points etc., but I really miss the credit card miles.

Got bitched at by cfo for using personal card and expensing something instead of using company card “if you want the credit card points you can pay the bill”.... nothing in the employee handbook about company card so meh. my $5k of annual cc expenses are worth a shit ton more on a minimum spend bonus than the company’s shit 1-2% cash back.

I didn't know this was an option for a lot of companies, so I'm a little jealous. When my company got acquired the worst thing that happened was being forced to use a company credit card instead of my personal card. Still get all the airline and hotel points etc., but I really miss the credit card miles.

Allegedly, if using a corporate AMEX card you can pay $150 (can’t remember the exact amount) and actually collect the points as well if you get a personal card as well. However, your company accounting department has to pay rather quickly otherwise you lose the points.

With the corporate approval process of releasing funds (submitting your expenses through Concur, then your boss approving, then accounting approval process, then releasing funds) the lag time apparently prevents you from collecting your points most of the time.

I had a coworker who travels pretty regularly say he tried it one year and barely broke even on it.

I never looked into it, since my travel/expenses are usually hard to predict and my boss takes forever to approve expenses. Just figured I’d throw this out there. It all may be a crock shit.

Worked for a large company that had Amex turn off all points on corporate cards. They felt it encouraged poor financial decisions. 

which can be true. I remember working at a startup where the IT guy would buy corporate laptops at CompUSA because of their giveaways. Recall he came back with a golf driver one day with the laptop.

23 hours ago, Seger78 said:

I still have to use my USBank MC which integrates through Concur for Flights, Hotels, and Rental Cars - but I get to keep the Southwest, Marriott, and Hertz points from those stays - so it's not the higher point total as if I used my Southwest or Bonvoy credit cards, but it's still something.  Just wanted to clarify because I think we are in the same boat.