Surly Private Equity

Errestaurants

Yeah, what Hagbard said...you're not looking at a private equity investment opportunity.  What you're describing is more like Seed or Angel.  Restaurants in general would only qualify for PE money after they've turned into a multi-state franchise.  Or something a small group of restaurants that also has a massive retail platform like Salt Lick (rubs, sauces at retail).  

The other issue with early investing in a restaurant in a Seed or Angel is a SAFE or convertible isn't worth what it would be at a place with physical assets or Intellectual Property or some book of revenue based on future spending by existing BOB clients.  If a restaurant goes under, and they usually do, all we can do is divvy up that day's brisket and take home chairs and neon signs.  So a debt instrument is much riskier than usual.  It's easiest to just set it up as what it is, a flyer.  I need $500k to get up and running.  I'll draw a modest salary if any at all, and every dollar not going to keep the lights on and the ribs smoking...pays you back.  A convertible or pref return just muddies shit up when it comes to restaurants because of the nature of the business, too.  I can pre-sell goods, get contractual obligations for a service I can deploy after your capital comes in, etc.  A restaurant can't do jack shit except spend a bunch of your money hoping that in 6 months, when the doors open...people come in and spend some cash.  You can't pre-sale food unless your Aaron Franklin of Ferran Adria.  So the usual investment terms don't ever fare well with restaurants.  Lots of folks just left holding their dicks when things go sideways.  

It's a flyer.  Come invest if you want your own table and a fun place to hang out.  I'll promise to pay you back your initial capital within 24 months.  If not, you can go after our free cash flow.  If there isn't any, it's because we're either about to go out of business (see example above about how little there is to get paid back with from a restaurant), or it's because we're lying and hiding free cash flow (easier to do with places that still take cash)...in which case...why were you fucking crazy enough to invest in a restaurant with me?  

Having said that, I never thought I'd see so much M&A activity in the restaurant industry.  Every restaurant group that's decently capitalized wants to put one type of each genre under their umbrella, so if you can last 3 years and attract some suitors (some group that wants the prestige of a Texas BBQ joint on their list of portfolio companies)...you can promise your investors 50-80% of that carry in exchange for help now and maybe a second capital call in 18-24 months as things expand.  

Anyway, just throwing up some ideas.  It's a tough industry and as much as I de-risk deals for a living, a BBQ joint in Texas to me just says, rip up the deck and the pro-formas and just be straight with folks.  That's the kind of deal I'd actually take a look at.  A surly BBQ & Bar spot would be fun.

Let's buy Luby's away from those Fuddrucker motherfuckers. If there's anything in this world that needs to stick around for the long term it's that Luann fried fish with mac and cheese.

The frozen Mac that HEB has(when those fucking stay at home Memorial moms aren’t clogging up the store) is great.i haven’t tried the fish yet

Let’s merge the ideas so far:

legal brothel in the Caribbean? Hmmm, I’d be down. They are still rebuilding from the hurricane and the East is crossed off of cruise goers list so this Caribbean season should be robust.

If it does well we can expand into paragliding and scuba. Eventually, we build a crazy party mansion we use for an Aug. month long party leading up to the home opener. coke and whores gratis, of course.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Errestaurants said:

I know there has been members invest in certain BBQ places and failed but are there other opportunities as a collective that there could be opportunity? I know there are a lot of smart people on this board and maybe they're just lacking capital. 

all the smart people studied humanities, and thus; are not candidates for your programs requiring capital.

I've got 6 acres, in our neighborhood, that is not in the HOA. I can build almost anything on it. My mother and I purchased it, with the idea of building an assisted living facility, but it is on septic instead of sewer. I am about to build a large storage/work shop on the property, and later this year, probably a home for my Mom, but I will have at least 4 acres to do something else. I'm going to keep working in Real Estate, but I have been trying to figure out what to do with the extra acreage. So far, I have looked at growing gourmet mushrooms, or gourmet garlic. I'm always open to others idea's and willing to invest and have investors on any way to use it.

CHIEF 

3 hours ago, CHIEF said:

I've got 6 acres, in our neighborhood, that is not in the HOA. I can build almost anything on it. My mother and I purchased it, with the idea of building an assisted living facility, but it is on septic instead of sewer. I am about to build a large storage/work shop on the property, and later this year, probably a home for my Mom, but I will have at least 4 acres to do something else. I'm going to keep working in Real Estate, but I have been trying to figure out what to do with the extra acreage. So far, I have looked at growing gourmet mushrooms, or gourmet garlic. I'm always open to others idea's and willing to invest and have investors on any way to use it.

CHIEF 

First question, are you a cop? You have to tell me, you know...

Second, is your mom "cool"?

If no then yes, I've got the opportunity of a lifetime for you!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, CHIEF said:

CHIEF 

If your land is in Killeen, see post #11.

I've been looking at building RV Parks as well. Especially on the outskirts of big cities for possible long term rentals. A lot of commercial construction guys will live in an RV and pocket a substantial amount of their daily per diem. I already have all of the utility guys and concrete contractors to get it done.

CHIEF

• Like 1

I look forward to the sponsor/operator due diligence portion of this exercise where our most disturbing posts are brought out into the light to be examined by underwriters.  

5 hours ago, CHIEF said:

I've been looking at building RV Parks as well. Especially on the outskirts of big cities for possible long term rentals. A lot of commercial construction guys will live in an RV and pocket a substantial amount of their daily per diem. I already have all of the utility guys and concrete contractors to get it done.

CHIEF

They just finished up a nice park here off of 146 in Seabrook. It has some nice looking 1bdrm small houses that you would park your RV under. I think it is close enough to Kehma and the bay that it will get some higher price summer activity, while at the same time it should stay pretty booked with all the close plants. I’m a bit envious of their idea and location. 

6 hours ago, CHIEF said:

CHIEF

There are acres and acres of FEMA trailers you could probably buy on the cheap.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, CHIEF said:

CHIEF

Yea. I've thought of this. Buy 10 acres. 50 hook ups, keep it maintained, maybe some other amenities.