Security guard/cops assault 16 y/o mentally ill boy who was checking himself into a hospital- deny everything despite video evidence

Goo Punch

12 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Kind of a blanket statement, and I agree there are wannabe bad asses who do join for that reason.  I think it's probably a small %.

I do not give cops a pass today like I used to, but not gonna throw them all under the bus either.

I mention the presence of good cops. I no longer know if they are the majority. The code that they must all stick together works to benefit the worst cops. The Serpico story and movie from the 1970s spelled it out way back then. I had an acquaintance who was an FBI agent in Austin back in the late eighties. There were many cases of police misconduct including brutality that the FBI investigated and brought up charges. 

Not only did the police put up a wall, but local grand juries or regular juries would never convict even if there was video tape. The FBI stopped wasting time on those investigations.

In the decades since, it's clearly just got worse. Those same jurors who believe the cops have a tough job and they have to get rough just to keep us safe are the ones who laugh off Black Lives Matter or answer it with the absurd, All Lives Matter. They won't accept what the worst of police do, so they enable the worst to be worse still while they discourage the forces that might rein them in.

This trend is a part of confluence of trends that portend danger for the republic.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I mention the presence of good cops. I no longer know if they are the majority. The code that they must all stick together works to benefit the worst cops. The Serpico story and movie from the 1970s spelled it out way back then. I had an acquaintance who was an FBI agent in Austin back in the late eighties. There were many cases of police misconduct including brutality that the FBI investigated and brought up charges. 

Not only did the police put up a wall, but local grand juries or regular juries would never convict even if there was video tape. The FBI stopped wasting time on those investigations.

In the decades since, it's clearly just got worse. Those same jurors who believe the cops have a tough job and they have to get rough just to keep us safe are the ones who laugh off Black Lives Matter or answer it with the absurd, All Lives Matter. They won't accept what the worst of police do, so they enable the worst to be worse still while they discourage the forces that might rein them in.

This trend is a part of confluence of trends that portend danger for the republic.

Well hopefully there are still enough good guys out there to counter the POS who've joined the forces around the country.

6 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Well hopefully there are still enough good guys out there to counter the POS who've joined the forces around the country.

Just now, immortal13 said:

There's not

That was my hope for years, but I think it's become clear that the problems won't be solved from within. It's a bullying, violent culture where speaking out can get you killed or certainly ruined as a cop. 

It's up to us, but we're brainwashed by TV shows and movies that prop up the notion that the good cops can prevail and that the bad cops are just a few bad apples. 

I feel for a police officer who is on the force to make the community safer and has to swim upstream against the effluence of cops like the ones in the video. I'd be neither brave enough to want the job in the first place, nor would I likely have the wherewithal to stand against the united cops operating under the code.

We make it worse for the good cop when we enable these POSs.

2 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Mall cops should be in jail for assault, as should roid deputy. I see he was fired, but I'm sure he'll find another job somewhere else.

Having said all that, if my 16 yr old son pushed my wife/his mother in the back like that, I would have done worse to him than those cops did.

Your mentally disturbed son ?  Seriously ?  Ya wanna re think that one ?  If not you have a promising future in law enforcement.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Mall cops should be in jail for assault, as should roid deputy. I see he was fired, but I'm sure he'll find another job somewhere else.

Having said all that, if my 16 yr old son pushed my wife/his mother in the back like that, I would have done worse to him than those cops did.

no you wouldn't. not if your son was mentally ill. trust me.

my dad wasn't really in my life as a kid, and in the few times that he was he never indicated that he gave a shit about me. that said, i'll never forget the look on his face when i walked into his kitchen at age fourteen with both forearms bleeding profusely after i had carved myself up something serious with broken glass and scissors. i carved a girl's name into one of my forearms. when i finally reached the catharsis i was searching for, and my manic high came down and i started feeling pain, that's when i walked into his kitchen with my arms out and tears in my eyes. and he was absolutely stunned. it was probably the most sobering moment of his life. i think that was the first time that he realized that i was actually sick. beating a mentally ill kid has ABSOLUTELY ZERO positive affect and is 100% CERTAIN to fuck the kid up more. 

this thread is fucking depressing me. i'm sure that in the future it will eventually be better, but my lifetime has not been the right time to be mentally ill. i've watched countless disenfranchised and persecuted communities see real progress in my lifetime- gay folks, trans folks, black folks, immigrants, you name it- but not mentally ill people. not even a fraction of a percent. too many of y'all still don't comprehend that it's an actual sickness, and you all cockily reply the way you just did, as if mental illness can be beaten out of someone. you can't imagine how lonely and hopeless some of you make me feel. i wasn't built for this world. 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, futureman said:

yesssss

He isn't talking about fisting and he doesn't mean that a cop will actually punch you in the ass. It is a metaphor. In reality, he hopes the cop will curb stomp you, rip off your head and shit down your neck.

With the exception of a few trolls, we seem to all be in agreement that the cops are fuck heads, and should be arrested for assault.

@Goo Punch

I'll crawfish my statement back a little, but the point I was trying to make remains.

That kid didn't push his mother in the back because he has a mental illness. He pushed her in the back because he is a douchebag teen who has never had father who whooped his ass when he did something so over the line like laying hands on his mother. Or spitting on a cop.

I don't know if he has a mental illness or not, or what it is exactly, but I hope he gets the help he needs, both professional and parental. And I think your point about the stigma associated with mental illness is valid. I hope you get (or got) help with your shit also. 

11 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

That kid didn't push his mother in the back because he has a mental illness. He pushed her in the back because he is a douchebag teen who has never had father who whooped his ass when he did something so over the line like laying hands on his mother. Or spitting on a cop.

And you know this from what source ?  The tag line is kid self admitting to a mental hospital. Do we know that's false ?  

Furthermore, pushing his mother is not a valid pretext for 2 punches to the face like from anyone, cop or father, and I'm not opposed to measured response, corporal punishment. Grabbing him by the scruff of the neck, and a couple open hand slaps upside his head could be justified, but balling up your fist, and belting your son for a push ?  Yeah, not subscribing to that.

4 minutes ago, futureman said:

wow, didn’t have you pegged for a snowflake.  but I guess every day’s a school day.  

Snowflake ? Hardly, but punching a kid in the face, for a shove has pretty much never been in my arsenal.  

Punishment is supposed to be a lesson learned not a tactic to merely inflict pain.  I'm not saying there isn't a just cause for a punch, but not ever for a mentally unstable kid.

• Like 1

Updates:

Deputy Face-puncher resigned or was fired on Saturday.

Kid plead guilty to misdemeanor charges of simple assault and underage consumption of alcohol yesterday. Felony charges dismissed. 

This part is pretty infuriating though:

In court, Long’s attorney, Brad Smith, said his client chose to take the plea deal offered by prosecutors over being tried as an adult on the felony assault charge.

Lincoln County District Attorney Mike Miller was in court for Long’s hearing on Monday but did not sit at the counsel table, left the courtroom before the hearing was over and did not come out of the courthouse in the two hours after court a WBTV crew waited to ask him questions.

It is not clear why Miller persisted in considering pursuing the felony assault charge. 

I in no way intended to excuse the actions in the video by acknowledging the psychological problems of the job.

I definitely agree that there is a type that becomes an LEO for the express purpose of beating up on people.  They don't need any help from the stresses of the job to become inhuman assholes.

But the rest of the cops, the good ones (and I think there are a lot of them) become molded by the job into people who are inhuman enough to ignore the truly inhuman among them.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

you got the fire Shaka Smart thread locked like two days ago with your insane, obsessive, interminable post chain in reaction to one single post of mine. you made like seven ad hominem posts in row using all caps and exclamation points, and it was honestly completely typical of you. you need just as much help as i do if you are actually in denial about your obsession with me.

and yes. my full name and return address are on the letter/envelope, i just cropped them out of the photo for obvious reasons. that said, this discussion is quickly becoming tangential to this thread, and there's no need to keep posting about it. time to put the kabosh on this retarded back and forth and get back to the subject at hand. 

edit: lulz at your response- i made one single germane post about hoops that mentioned Tennessee, you then went completely off the rails like a psycho with countless ranting posts about me, and in turn got the thread locked because of it. but because deej, and herpa derpa, amd the rest of your crew gave you pos rep means you aren't the reason the thread got locked. ok. you are completely delusional. 

Obsession noted, dimwit.

7 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

still, it's fucking depressing how much hatred and misunderstanding there is towards the mentally ill. it's fucked up. 

Yes...

7 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

i've watched countless disenfranchised and persecuted communities see real progress in my lifetime- gay folks, trans folks, black folks, immigrants, you name it- but not mentally ill people. 

YES!!!

16 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

time to put the kabosh on this retarded back and forth and get back to the subject at hand. 

giphy.gif

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

Updates:

Deputy Face-puncher resigned or was fired on Saturday.

Kid plead guilty to misdemeanor charges of simple assault and underage consumption of alcohol yesterday. Felony charges dismissed. 

This part is pretty infuriating though:

Who did the kid assault? The mother or the cop(s)? If he actually did deliberately spit blood at the cop, and not just cough it out accidentally getting it on the cop, ok, maybe. The mother for the push, ok, maybe.

But the most egregious example of assault I saw in that video was the cop assaulting the kid.

Don’t ya just have to love it?

Cop takes action in such a way that a life was jeopardized and he’s just out a job.  No charges.  Nothing.

Kid spits, that’s it, just spits.  Nothing more.  Forget his intention, that’s all he did. 

Which one of those two is facing charges?

I mean, anyone who doesn’t look askance at Law Enforcement and our “justice” system is beyond being reasoned with.

• Like 2

Just now, Cajun said:

Don’t ya just have to love it?

Cop takes action in such a way that a life was jeopardized and he’s just out a job.  No charges.  Nothing.

Kid spits, that’s it, just spits.  Nothing more.  Forget his intention, that’s all he did. 

Which one of those two is facing charges?

I mean, anyone who doesn’t look askance at Law Enforcement and our “justice” system is beyond being reasoned with.

Spitting can be a dangerous health issue.  That's a huge no no. And whether it's right or not you're kinda asking for a beat down if you do it to a cop.

You know what else can be a huge health issue?

Body slamming someone half your size to concrete head first.  And if you get up in the face of someone which that has just happened and  they are bleeding fairly profusely from the mouth while trying to regain their faculties, then you might just get spit at.  

And if you, as a cop, start wailing on that citizen, and it's caught on camera then you deserve all that's coming to you and then some.  In essence, you're kinda asking for it.

Works both ways.

• Like 5

I also love the whole, "spitting is a health hazard" theory with this incident.  

Let's dig a little deeper on that, shall we?

Q:  Why is it a health hazard?  

A:  Well, obviously, because what if the kid has some disease or infection that he could be spreading by spitting in the cops face.  Is that right?  Is that the contention?

Ok.

Then riddle me this?  Why, if the worry is the spreading of something like infection/disease to the cop from the boy's saliva, is our "HERO" hitting him in the face and mouth with his BARE FUCKING HANDS?

I'll hang up and listen.

2 hours ago, Cajun said:

Then riddle me this?  Why, if the worry is the spreading of something like infection/disease to the cop from the boy's saliva, is our "HERO" hitting him in the face and mouth with his BARE FUCKING HANDS?

I realize that you are just looking for a fight, but skin provides a more effective barrier against pathogens than lungs.

On 2/17/2020 at 7:22 PM, Goo Punch said:

advice that has helped me out in the past, and advice that i will take right now. this is a hot button issue for me that hits close to home, and i've been pretty upset about it since seeing it. i don't always think straight when i get heated. hard to believe, i know. 

Send a letter.  Just don't send that letter.  Somewhere deep down in his orangutan skull is the realization that he's a complete disgrace of a public servant.  Appeal to that.  His street gang instinct to deflect worthy criticism is probably just one of the reasons why his officers behave like steroid gorillas.  

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Chooky said:

Send a letter.  Just don't send that letter.  Somewhere deep down in his orangutan skull is the realization that he's a complete disgrace of a public servant.  Appeal to that.  His street gang instinct to deflect worthy criticism is probably just one of the reasons why his officers behave like steroid gorillas.  

after reading this i walked out to the table where i had written the letter yesterday, but it was gone. i asked my mom if she'd seen it.

"I mailed it."

"Seriously?"

"Yeah, I went out and mailed it today. Why?"

"Because I wasn't going to send it." 

"Oh."

then i just stood there, silently pondering what's going to happen next, when mom chimes in:

"Just fucking with you, I threw it away."

"Wait, for real?"

"Uh, yeah."

WHEW. she got me good.

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Cajun said:

I also love the whole, "spitting is a health hazard" theory with this incident.  

Let's dig a little deeper on that, shall we?

Q:  Why is it a health hazard?  

A:  Well, obviously, because what if the kid has some disease or infection that he could be spreading by spitting in the cops face.  Is that right?  Is that the contention?

Ok.

I'll hang up and listen.

HIV, Hepatitus.  You can chill, I never said it was OK to hit a kid because he spit, I said he could probably expect a cop to beat him down for it.

4 hours ago, Genco said:

Then why even bring up the pretext of a health hazard? And I'm having trouble reconciling your post about bad cops being a small % and your optimism of the good cops outnumbering the bad with your contention that a beat down is to be expected.

Because it is a potential health hazard.

Read slowly now.....For the third time,  that didn't give the cop a green light to punch the kid, but it's what can happen when you spit on a cop whose already amped up.   I never said a beat down is expected or more precisely, merited as you're really trying to imply.  Spitting isn't ever a reason a cop should hit someone, but it's damn sure a reason why they will, so don't poke the bull.

You're looking for anything to blast about cops (of which there's plenty), and argue with me about, and I gave you some questionable fodder that you jumped all over.

Best part of this situation when it comes to the people that will defend almost anything a cop does is that we literally have a good cop on video in this situation. He's the one trying to wrestle the meathead moron to the ground so he won't attack the boy anymore because he understands that what meathead did was wrong.

But that creates a severe episode of cognitive dissonance for those posters so they just ignore it.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Bevo said:

I realize that you are just looking for a fight, but skin provides a more effective barrier against pathogens than lungs.

No, I'm not looking for a fight, I'm looking for someone who doesn't bend over backwards to make excuses and rationalizations for people just because they wear a badge.

Maybe you should write a letter to the NBA, NFL, NCAA, etc and ask them to quit stopping games when blood is present because, hey, they've all still got their skin.

lulz

8 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

HIV, Hepatitus.  You can chill, I never said it was OK to hit a kid because he spit, I said he could probably expect a cop to beat him down for it.

Right, and I said that a cop getting in the face of someone bleeding, disoriented, and possibly concussed can expect to be (gasp) spit at.

Two sides, same coin.

40 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Best part of this situation when it comes to the people that will defend almost anything a cop does is that we literally have a good cop on video in this situation. He's the one trying to wrestle the meathead moron to the ground so he won't attack the boy anymore because he understands that what meathead did was wrong.

But that creates a severe episode of cognitive dissonance for those posters so they just ignore it.

It was also awesome that he actually bowed his chest out at the mom after she had the nerve to say something like "please stop beating my child" while he was in thin blue line wrecking mode.  

32 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Maybe you should write a letter to the NBA, NFL, NCAA, etc and ask them to quit stopping games when blood is present because, hey, they've all still got their skin.

I'm pretty sure that started around the same time that Magic announced he had HIV and some players were scared to cover him. And just because skin is a better barrier than lungs doesn't mean that it is foolproof: If the cop has an open cut, pathogens can enter through the cut. And despite your denial, I think it is pretty apparent that you are looking for a fight. I'm not even addressing the OP. I'm just answering your question regarding why spitting is worse than a cut.

4 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I'm pretty sure that started around the same time that Magic announced he had HIV and some players were scared to cover him. And just because skin is a better barrier than lungs doesn't mean that it is foolproof: If the cop has an open cut, pathogens can enter through the cut. And despite your denial, I think it is pretty apparent that you are looking for a fight. I'm not even addressing the OP. I'm just answering your question regarding why spitting is worse than a cut.

doesn't seem like the idiot cop was too worried about pathogens when he punched the kid with the bleeding mouth. cut the bullshit

1 hour ago, El Tri said:

doesn't seem like the idiot cop was too worried about pathogens when he punched the kid with the bleeding mouth. cut the bullshit

Sorry if you don't like the comment. It was answering the bullshit question of why spitting on someone is a crime. I don't understand why so many people have limited analytical skills, but I guess that is just standard fair today where people just want to stand up and scream. I'll go through my opinion on the specifics of the incident if you want something substantive to argue.

I can understand the initial wrong actions of the security guard. I can see a scenario based on the film where the security guard saw the mother being pushed and her cry for help. I can see him misunderstanding that the mother wanted help getting her son inside instead of protection from the child. He needed more training and screwed up by assuming he knew what was going on. Once the boy was under control, there was no need for the policeman to jump in and punch the kid. The policeman needs to lose his job, which apparently happened already. The policeman committed assault. What that means with regard to jail time and moneys paid to the family, I don't know, meaning I don't have any knowledge on the legal aspects of the case. The child spat on the cop and that is a crime as well. The cop deserved it. What that means for jail time for the child or moneys paid to the policeman, I don't know. Does it come into play that the cop deserved it and that sptting was in retaliation to the policeman's actions?

If you asked me what should happen, I would say the child should get no punishment (that didn't happen - the police department covered its ass in limiting civil damages by getting the kid to admit to assault charges) and the cop should be punished with loss of his job and moneys paid to the kid for the assault and minimal jail time (unless he is used as an example to prevent other cops from doing the same thing). But what happens in an assault case in a bar fight or an unarmed robbery? How much time does the criminal get for throwing a few punches?

4 hours ago, Bevo said:

You seem to be spoiling for one too friendo, despite your denial.

Here's something you may not know, since you seem so eager to educate on the ins and outs of skin "barriers" and such - When making a fist the skin on your hand, fingers, and knuckles tightens and becomes thinner.  When you then strike that tightened skin repeatedly against skulls, jaws, and teeth, that chances of tearing/cutting that skin are extrememly high.  Often times police, when investigating fights, will look to a suspect's hands for open cuts as an indication that he/she was involved.

The more ya know!

54 minutes ago, Cajun said:

You seem to be spoiling for one too friendo, despite your denial.

Here's something you may not know, since you seem so eager to educate on the ins and outs of skin "barriers" and such - When making a fist the skin on your hand, fingers, and knuckles tightens and becomes thinner.  When you then strike that tightened skin repeatedly against skulls, jaws, and teeth, that chances of tearing/cutting that skin are extrememly high.  Often times police, when investigating fights, will look to a suspect's hands for open cuts as an indication that he/she was involved.

The more ya know!

Eager is the wrong word. You stated, "I love the whole, "spitting is a health hazard" theory with this incident".  Why is it a health hazard"? I answered your question and you went full cajun. Well, OK Cool and Hook'em.

It was rhetorical brah.

I used to work at a drug/alcohol rehab classified as a Level 3 SMI-A3 mental institution.  I am familiar with the dangers of being spit on as well as the dangers of being body slammed, punched, and sat on by someone 3 times my size.  Hours of mind-numbing training.

None of those situations are safe, not in the slightest.  My rhetorical question was posed to shine light on the dissonance of someone bemoaning the perils of saliva transfer because HERO, while pretending that getting body slammed face first to asphalt and being wailed upon afterward isn't every bit as dangerous.

Edited by Cajun

2 hours ago, Cajun said:

It was rhetorical brah.

I used to work at a drug/alcohol rehab classified as a Level 3 SMI-A3 mental institution.  I am familiar with the dangers of being spit on as well as the dangers of being body slammed, punched, and sat on by someone 3 times my size.  Hours of mind-numbing training.

None of those situations are safe, not in the slightest.  My rhetorical question was posed to shine light on the dissonance of someone bemoaning the perils of saliva transfer because HERO, while pretending that getting body slammed face first to asphalt and being wailed upon afterward isn't every bit as dangerous.

If this is about my original spitting comment please stop with the hysterics. My original spitting comment was if you spit at a cop be prepared for a beat down.  I didn't say it was right, in fact I've further stated it is not right, but if you do it you just may get hit by a cop. It's the same thing as saying fuck you to a cop, he shouldn't hit you for that but say it to the wrong cop and he just may, and will probably get away with it, so why the hell provoke them ?

I never said they're heroes. Contracting a disease from being spit on was a minor point in my post.  Many people on this site have a hard on for cops (as they have just reasons in many instances) but making blanket comments about all cops, as 100% statements of fact is as ignorant as you can be.

22 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

after reading this i walked out to the table where i had written the letter yesterday, but it was gone. i asked my mom if she'd seen it.

"I mailed it."

"Seriously?"

"Yeah, I went out and mailed it today. Why?"

"Because I wasn't going to send it." 

"Oh."

then i just stood there, silently pondering what's going to happen next, when mom chimes in:

"Just fucking with you, I threw it away."

"Wait, for real?"

"Uh, yeah."

WHEW. she got me good.

Well hell, I want the donation back that I made to the wreath fund yesterday.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1