2020 Dems: Nevada (gonna make Iowa look competent!)

bad_teammate

While the Nevada caucus doesn't actually happen until Saturday, February 22nd, early voting started yesterday and ends Tuesday.

Nevada's caucuses work pretty much the same as Iowa's caucuses work.

Except worse.

1) They're not using an app on their phones, they're using a tool on iPads. And they still don't know how they're going to work.

2) Early voting has been going gangbusters, but no one knows how that information will be sent to individual precincts and  precinct captains have received no training on the early voting data, either. Since the early vote ends Tuesday the state could preload the tool (NOT APP) with the data. Or they could have the precinct captains enter the early voting data. No one knows and we're 6 days away.

To be fair, I really like the concept because it's essentially ranked choice voting, which is what I think all voting in America should be.

You enter your 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choices on the paper. You can enter "uncommitted" on one (or all?) of the choices if you are a one-candidate-or-fuck-off type of person (mirroring the people at the Iowa caucus who just leave once their candidate is eliminated and don't join another group).

- If your 1st choice doesn't make it (15% of the precinct), they count your 2nd choice.
- If your 2nd choice still doesn't make it, they go to your 3rd choice.
- If your 3rd choice STILL doesn't make it, what the fuck are you doing idiot stop wasting our time.

My ballot?
1) Bababooey
2) Bababooey
3) Howard Stern's Penis

JK it's 1) Bernie, 2) Warren, 3) Lenin

Buckle up boys.

b_t's predictions, which were bad for Iowa but good for NH...

1) Bernard 28%
2) Biden 24%
3) Pete 20%
4) Warren 18%
5) Klobuchar 4%
6) Field 6%

It's going to be a major crapshoot if people question these supposed preloaded totals on the iPads and they have to go and dig up the physical paper ballots. I like the early voting because it always is helpful to let people who normally couldn't attend, but this is assistance on using iPads is going to probably cause as many headaches as they had in Iowa.

25 minutes ago, Calihorn said:

I think this is the third different story to come out over the past week or so about volunteers and captains still being in the dark as to how these iPads and "tool" will be used. If they have any problems then they were warned on multiple occasions.

3 minutes ago, Calihorn said:

Look forward to Nevada and Iowa being relegated to the week before the convention.

Iowa, yes.  If Nevada is willing to go to a primary, I actually advocate for them to go in the beginning.  Like the 2nd most diverse state.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Iowa, yes.  If Nevada is willing to go to a primary, I actually advocate for them to go in the beginning.  Like the 2nd most diverse state.  

That's fair. Can't wait for more hot takes about how bad Democrats are because caucuses are a shit show

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

i saw this interview live, and it wasn't up to link yet, but i think this was it.  erin burnett seems shocked at the information she's getting about how the nevada caucus, even after iowa, seemingly does not have their shit together.

democracy is the worst form of government...except for all the others.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2020/02/15/nevada-caucus-volunteer-seth-morrison-ebof-vpx.cnn

4 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Why do we even have caucuses?  Why are we making this more difficult?

Chairman Tom Perez said Sunday the Democratic National Committee can’t simply tell Iowa not to hold caucuses anymore.

“One of the challenges, and the reason we didn't do that in our most recent conversation about this, is that you need to pass a state law to have a state-run primary,” Perez told host Jake Tapper on CNN’s “State of the Union.” “There are some states that still have caucuses where I'm not sure the Republican governor would sign the law to have the election.”

The 4 states with caucuses this year are: Iowa (Republican governor since 2011), Nevada (Republican governor 1999 to 2019), North Dakota (Republican governor since 2000) and Wyoming (Republican governor since 2011). 

So kind of believable.  

20 hours ago, Incredulity said:

How the fuck do you early vote in a Caucus?(rhetorical question)

Idk.  I guess your vote simply stops counting when your candidate is removed from the pool.

Or you have a tiered ballot and your vote goes to the next candidate in line.

Edited by JBJ

5 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

It was explained upthread I believe.  It's like ranked choice.  You have a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choice.  

Correct. So your vote is reallocated if your first choice doesn't meet the threshold of viability. 

31 minutes ago, JBJ said:

Idk.  I guess your vote simply stops counting when your candidate is removed from the pool.

Or you have a tiered ballot and your vote goes to the next candidate in line.

The rhetorical point was that a Caucus is meant to have peer to peer interaction/discussion/influence at its core. A rank choice card contrasts that.

9 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

yes, it does seem counterintuitive.  but then again, so is this whole process.  

Who would have thought someone would invent something dumber than the Texas Two Step?

Nevada: oh you thought it was dumb that Texans voted in a primary and then showed up to a caucus? WE WILL COMBINE THEM INTO ONE THING SOMEHOW! 

41 minutes ago, Js1 said:

If turnout is up in NH and NV, but not Iowa.....

Iowa needs to be kicked out of first spot.  You ethanol-guzzling corn fuckers screwed up. 

Primaries should occur in order of the previous election’s per capita turnout. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

It's good news for America if people get out and vote.

On another note, is this going to be the debate thread too, or should that be separate?

Biden says this thread is fine. His body is ready