Galveston Contractor Help

We're looking for help on some repair and upgrade work we want to do on a house in Galveston. We're looking for something more than a handyman, but we're not adding a new addition to the house or putting in new plumbing or hvac systems or something super complex. Anybody know anyone they'd support for this kind of work? I've tried Thumbtack and other apps and they work well in some places, but they've not gotten it done for us in Galveston. 

Thanks in advance for any help.

3 hours ago, UTPhil2006 said:

I think @UT_OB1 probably has someone

I've got someone that I'd classify as a higher end handyman with a crew.  He and his crew do good work at a good price on most of the skills.  I've also got the number of a some addict painters if you want that 😱  I'll send you the contact in a PM (not the crack heads).

On 2/17/2020 at 12:37 PM, justhookit said:

Get ready to bend over and grab your ankles. Since Harvey it’s nearly impossible to find good help and when you do the material and labor cost has gone through the roof. I’m at the tail end of a condo remodel and a new house build in Port A. It’s been a beating.

Over the past 12-14 months, I haven't found that to be a problem in the Galveston area.  Speaking of crack heads, I had a former master electrician that ran a crew repairing a place that had an animal hoarder living in it.  Did great work until he ended up in the hospital.  And then jail.  I hope he gets out soon.  

Edited by UT_OB1
  • Like 1

On 2/17/2020 at 12:37 PM, justhookit said:

Get ready to bend over and grab your ankles. Since Harvey it’s nearly impossible to find good help and when you do the material and labor cost has gone through the roof. I’m at the tail end of a condo remodel and a new house build in Port A. It’s been a beating.

Harvey didnt have much of an impact on Galveston,  up the road, in league city,  clearlake, etc, yes. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dewey said:

Harvey didnt have much of an impact on Galveston,  up the road, in league city,  clearlake, etc, yes. 

I’m aware of that but I figured y’all would be facing the same labor/material shortages that we are. I’d say close to 90% of the subs  and a large portion of the GC’s working here are from out of town. It’s been great for the hotel business and the condos.