Thread for those working through The Clone Wars

NotActuallyALonghorn

14 hours ago, Xian said:

Just rewatched the entire series. Honestly great television.  Depending on how it finally ends, might end up being the best “kiddie” show of all time. 

I've come around on Clone Wars. Great show. Based on the latest episode, I believe they'll stick the landing. 

I think Clone Wars and Rebels should be judged by their best episodes as each Star Wars animated series takes "curious" midseason detours. Can Clone Wars produce a better episode than "Jedi Knight", "Twilight of the Apprentice", or a "A World Between Worlds"? I think they can, but it's a very, very high bar. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

I've been pretty clear that I love BOTH shows, I just think Rebels is more concise, and enjoyed it a little more.

But I can't wait to see these last 3 episodes and see if Clone Wars can finish as strong as I hope they can.

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I've come around on Clone Wars. Great show. Based on the latest episode, I believe they'll stick the landing. 

I think Clone Wars and Rebels should be judged by their best episodes as each Star Wars animated series takes "curious" midseason detours. Can Clone Wars produce a better episode than "Jedi Knight", "Twilight of the Apprentice", or a "A World Between Worlds"? I think they can, but it's a very, very high bar. 

1 hour ago, Drew said:

I've been pretty clear that I love BOTH shows, I just think Rebels is more concise, and enjoyed it a little more.

But I can't wait to see these last 3 episodes and see if Clone Wars can finish as strong as I hope they can.

I agree with judging them by their best. I also think the goal of each was different. CW was trying to tell a much broader story. Hell, in some sense it was there to fill in everything that the movies dropped. Who is the main character in CW?  When you first start CW, you’d assume it was Anakin and Obi wan, and you might think this Ashoka character could be one too. By the end, you’ve had not just single episodes, but entire 3-4 episode arcs that didn’t have a single one of them in it.  CW was telling a much broader story that all had to fit in some way, and I think sometimes it suffered from it, but in some ways it benefitted because it got to show how massive the SW story is. Rebels got to be much more laser focused on the character development of just a few.  

Both are good. Win/win. Except for the fucking droid episodes. 

• Like 1

That last episode might be the best bit of Star Wars I've ever seen. Damn good TV.

The whole fam is caronabinging CW. Four episodes left in S6. Perfect timing as S7 finishes up.

We also just started the movies as we all realized the youngest has seen CW, Rebels, Resistance, and all the Lego movies, but not one of the actual movies. Weird. Remarkable that she knew the whole Ep. 1 story from the Lego movie. Also remarkable that she likes Jar Jar.

CW is the only thing on a screen that the whole fam watches and enjoys.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

With season 7, you can tell Filoni has homed his craft of story telling. The stories are concise and focused. The Martez sisters' arc drug on but now in the greater context was necessary to drive home Ahsoka's belief that the Jedi suck and are puppets to politics. The animation is also light years better than early seasons of CW and even rebels.

CW started as a kid's show with mature subjects and visuals spattered here and there. Friday's episode of CW was definitely not a kid's show. I think with the Mandalorian, Filoni and Disney realize that their target audience is really disenfranchised old SW geeks who need their SW fix because the movies are fucking complete shit. With that perspective, Filoni and Disney unabashedly made Rebels and this season of CW adult in nature. Save for a few corny lines from the droids, this was a dark episode with clones dying everywhere. There were entire scenes with clone bodies lying and hanging in the background. Don't get much more adult than that.

• Like 2

STOP whatever you’re doing and RUN to watch Episode 10 right NOW!!!

The last episode was one of the greatest(if not best) episode of this series I’ve seen.

This one blows it away. Right now I would still
Say Twilight of the Apprentice is the best Story in both animated shows...I may have to update that list.

This seriously has the best light saber duals this show(and rebels) has ever done. And he’ll, I’m tempted to say it’s some of, if not the, best in all of Star Wars.

You can also tell this is really a movie more than an arc. When the last 2 episodes air, they’ll cut it together and have a nice 90+ min movie that’ll be just as good as anything they’ve released in 20 years.

If they can top this episode with either of the the last 2 episodes, we might just be talking about this arc/movie as maybe one of the best in the entire franchise.

the two, yes TWO, duels between Ahsoka and Maul are epics and if you don’t notice the life like rendering and appreciate it, something’s wrong. They actually brought Ray Park(the original Dath Maul from the movie) to come in and to the motion capture rendering of the fight. Instead of the usual “rubbery” look of these fights thanks to CGI. This looks like 2 people actually fighting and then the characters just placed over them. I just can’t say enough about how great it looks.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

i'm in awe. 

filoni is a fucking wizard. amazing what happens when you have a person who understands and love star wars lore as much as lucas but has the ability to craft and tell stories like no other in the star wars franchise before. i am in awe of the last two episodes and have a man-crush on ahsoka. 

i can't help feeling fucked over that the last trilogy wasn't manned by filoni. but then again, i think this series and rebels shows that star wars is best told in animation. no way the last duel scene couldn't been filmed in real life. 

case in point, i love the mandalorian but that story would be more awe inspiring if it were in animation. compare the mandalorian scene of the mandalorians flying in to save the mandalor vs the scene in this episode of the mandalorians flying around fighting and shooting. they are night and day with this episode showing how fucking awesome the mandalorians are. you only get a hint of that in live action. in fact i was let down by how pedestrian the live action sequence showed the mandalorians to be.

anyway back to this episode and series. i agree with drew. the first two and last two upcoming episodes feel like they were made a part of a larger independent movie. remember back to how ahsoka was explained to why she was in mandalor in the first place, it felt like it was the beginnings of an stand alone movie where it would have back history explaining the events leading up to this movie. if the last two eps deliver as equal as the first two, this movie would be THE best movie of any star wars franchise and would be one of THE best animation movies ever.

Edited by crash_davis
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

anyone know what the "other stuff, wink" that was referred to in this tweet?

Maybe it refers to when Maul is talking to the members of the Syndicate in the hologram, there's Dryden Vos on the far right.  Paul Bettany's character from Solo.  I think that's who it is.  Considering Maul was in the hologram in Solo, it is most likely Vos.

Great fucking episode.  I can only reiterate what Drew and others have said.  This is what SW is, and should be going forward.  Also, listen to the musical queues in the episode.  You can hear the Emperor's theme when Kenobi is talking about Anakin and the Chancellor.  Just amazing.  Not only that, the musical queue during the opening credits was eerily similar to the beginning of Close Encounters.  The queues in the last episode were great too, when Anakin is on the bridge staring down the droid army you can hear the music to Luke's salute off the desert skiff when he signaled R2.  Good details.

Speaking of the opening credits and the show being cinematic, hell, the opening itself is just like the opening of 1977 Star Wars.  Green Lucasfilm Limited font on a black screen fading into a red letter box for Clone Wars.   That's retro! Awesome, just fucking awesome.  

I really want to see an Ahsoka and Rex buddy series/movie.  

Can't wait until next week.  This has been so fucking awesome.

• Like 2

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2020/04/ahsoka-tano-clone-wars-finale-star-wars/amp

Spoiler

Ahsoka Tano—A Star Wars Oral History

APRIL 24, 2020 10:20 AMAhsokaTano-StarWarsOralHistory-2.jpg

Star Wars fans are about to get the answer to what now qualifies as an ancient mystery: How does Ahsoka Tano survive the extermination of the Jedi?

The question has grown in importance along with the character herself—a short alien girl with blue and white “head-tails” who has become a towering figure in Star Wars mythology. Not only was she a central character in The Clone Wars and Rebels animated shows, but she is the star of her own Y.A. novel, as well as one of the ethereal voices who guided Rey from the beyond in finale of The Rise of Skywalker.

Ahsoka was the first lead female Jedi, although there is still debate about whether that term should apply to her. Before Rey in The Force Awakens—before Rogue One’s Jyn Erso, The Last Jedi’s Rose Tico, or The Mandalorian’s Cara Dune—there was Ahsoka Tano holding open the blast-door for a new generation of girls and women. Those viewers had Princess Leia and Padmé Amidala, but wanted more.

Ahsoka Tano brought it.

When viewers first met the young Force-wielder in the first episode of The Clone Wars in 2008, it wasn’t clear that she had much future. She was a Jedi in training, a padawan, learning from Anakin Skywalker, who would go on to become Darth Vader. Her chances of survival were grim at best. Even her creators—George Lucas and Dave Filoni—weren’t sure where she was headed.

Then The Clone Wars halted production following Disney’s purchase of Lucasfilm in 2012, and it seemed as if the question might never be answered at all. When season five ended in 2013, Ahsoka was last seen walking away from the Jedi order. She didn’t turn up at all in season six, an abbreviated run of episodes that were too far along in production to scrap. A few years later, fans saw her reappear as an older figure in Rebels, uniting the Rebellion and facing down her old mentor, by then known as Darth Vader.

It took until now, six years later, to find out how she survived the purge that ended the other Jedi in Revenge of the Sith. The resurrected season seven of the The Clone Wars is finally telling that tale with its final episodes on Disney+, starting tonight with a showdown between Ahsoka and another looming Star Wars figure, the demonic dark-sider known as Maul.

Ahsoka’s journey is likely to continue soon, if rumors are to be believed. The character will reportedly turn up in the next season of The Mandalorian, which is set after the fall of Vader and the Emperor in Return of the Jedi. (Rosario Dawson has strongly implyied she’ll be playing the character in live-action.)

As this chapter of her story concludes, Vanity Fair spoke with some of Ahsoka’s creators and admirers about where she came from, where she’s going, and how she changed everything.

A Long Time Ago…

After finishing the prequel films, George Lucas wanted to make an animated series to tell the in-between story of “the Clone Wars,” which were first alluded to in 1977’s original Star Wars. The lead characters of the show would be Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker, but also a youngling—never seen before.

AhsokaTano-StarWarsOralHistory-2.jpg

Dave Filoni, supervising director of The Clone Wars and Rebels: Ahsoka was one of the first characters that I ever drew when I was working here at Lucasfilm. I have a little sketch of her, and she’s come so far.

Ashley Eckstein, voice actor for Ahsoka: When I first began playing Ahsoka, what a lot of people don’t realize is we recorded the entire first season before The Clone Wars animated movie even premiered [in 2008]. So we’d been working on the show for almost two years before anyone ever met Ahsoka.

Some things evolved and changed about her during that time. Other things were already locked.

Eckstein: She was always an alien. Ahsoka being a Togruta, Ahsoka having orange skin, Ahsoka having the blue and white head tails. She has always been an alien, at least from when I was cast and entered the scene.

Filoni: George is the one that came up with the name Ahsoka.

Eckstein: I do know that at one point they were considering the name Ashla, which is just weird since my name was Ashley.

Filoni: We called her Ashla in the beginning. That was 2005, and that worked on several levels for me. I think it was the name given to one of the [young Jedis Yoda was training] in Attack of the Clones. There was a little Togruta girl. We kicked around the idea that maybe that was Ahsoka but then we thought the age didn’t really work out for it to be the same character. She was too young in the film.

Eckstein: I had so many conversations with Dave. I’ve had a couple of conversations even with George Lucas when I got to meet him for the first time, and we talked about our hopes and dreams for the character of Ahsoka and her journey and even the series as a whole.

Filoni: Way back in the beginning, Ahsoka was more involved in the black-market world and working with a Jedi in a way that was not really involved in the day-to-day big battles of the war. She was involved in the intrigue and the plots of where we ended up [in season seven], which is that she’s trying to help prevent these criminals from taking advantage of this situation of wartime.

E.K. Johnston, author of the 2016 Y.A. novel Ahsoka: When I think about Ahsoka and The Clone Wars, it is this really deep and thoughtful show, but it's so highly accessible. And Ahsoka really makes it something that kids can watch for fun and then be like, Wait…is war-profiteering tearing the world apart?

As development continued, Lucas and Filoni decided to center the show more directly within the world of the Jedi.

Ahsoka meets Anakin and Obi (Clone Wars theatrical movie).COURTESY LUCASFILM LTD.

Filoni: We thought having a padawan was important. And having a young girl. I felt like I’d seen Luke and then I’d seen Anakin, and we wanted to do something different and give a different point of view on it.

Eckstein: It was the first time on a regular basis that a lightsaber was put in a girl’s hand and it was a big deal.

Amy Richau, the journalist behind 365StarWars.com, which chronicles female creators and characters from the galaxy: I think it was incredibly bold of Lucasfilm to give Anakin a padawan—to add such a major character into the mix between two prequel films. Her relationship with Anakin made him an even more interesting character and made his fall even more heartbreaking. But Ahsoka is such a great character she didn’t need Anakin by her side to carry episodes of The Clone Wars.

Eckstein: I didn’t realize how important of a character she was, how big of a character she was. I mean, it was groundbreaking to have Ahsoka Tano. It’s so easy to forget, because now we live in a time where we have Rey. The lead of the last three Star Wars films in the Skywalker saga, was a girl. We’ve had Rose Tico and Jyn Erso and Hera Syndulla and Sabine Wren. We’ve got all of these lead female characters and female-driven movies. But at the time, that was not the case.

Filoni: [George] said, “This is going to be Anakin Skywalker’s padawan because I want him to have a padawan. People don’t expect that and it will add a way to give him somebody to teach, and it creates a great dynamic between him and Obi-Wan and her.” And at first it seems like, well that’s a far-out idea. Growing up, I never thought Anakin had a padawan. That’s why George is George. He just perceives things and trusts his instincts and goes for it and ends up creating a character that now is beloved.

Richau: Watching her accomplishments and her failures, Ahsoka’s an incredibly easy character to latch onto as a viewer. There was also the excitement, the dread of what would happen to her since she didn’t seem to be a part of Anakin’s life in Revenge of the Sith.

The Looming Threat

Viewers of The Clone Wars already knew the Jedi were headed toward a bad end. Many guessed it was inevitable that Ahsoka would have one too.

Eckstein: I always asked Dave the same question, and he has told me several different things for Ahsoka over the years. It definitely changed over time.

Filoni: The tension was good and we liked it. Many people would say, Well, we know what happens to Anakin and Obi-Wan. We could say, Yeah, but you don’t know what happens to Ahsoka.

Johnston: It was terrifying. Yeah, you don’t want to fall in love [with her]…. Ahsoka keeps running off into danger. There’s one episode pretty early on where Ahsoka has to face General Grievous by herself. You’re just like, No! Please someone, protect this child! And of course she can take care of herself, and she gets better and better at it as the series progresses. But, it’s definitely that level of, Please don’t hurt me!

Eckstein: That movie threat has been with me from the beginning, because fans would say, Okay, well, she’s not in Episode II, and she’s not in Episode III, so therefore she must die. I remember at convention after convention, fans would say, Ahsoka is going to die. It wasn’t even a question. I always said, How do you know she has to die? What if something else happens?

Filoni: I thought that there was a possibility that the character died before the end of The Clone Wars, but I didn’t really want the character to exist just to become another thing that pushed Anakin [to the dark side.] If that was an important element of his story, it would have been in the movies.

Eckstein: Over time, those statements went away. Then, everyone started asking, Well, can she survive? Is there any way she can survive Order 66?

Richau: With so much of Filoni’s work, fans—and me—expect everyone to die but then they don’t! I mostly remember Filoni teasing about Ahsoka’s future—something he is still doing.

Survivor Type

One reason Ahsoka has continued to turn up is because she came to mean so much to the viewers.

Ahsoka vs Vader in Star Wars RebelsCOURTESY OF LUCASFILM LTD.

Eckstein: It’s so funny. I think there are very few characters that every single person can see themselves in. Part of that is because she’s just an alien with orange skin, with head tails. We can all be Ahsoka. We can put aside our race and gender and we can all be Ahsoka. And I think it is so powerful.

Filoni: That’s the thing I like most. That idea that it’s been earned.

Johnston: In terms of girls specifically, The Clone Wars gave a whole generation of fans their Rey moment a lot earlier. The movie purists, if you will, didn’t really get that moment until Rey called the lightsaber to her hand in The Force Awakens. But, if you were a Clone Wars fan, you already knew that she could do that.

Richau: It’s a cliché to say that Star Wars is all about hope, but it’s hard to think of a character that personifies hope more than Ahsoka. Her character is introduced during the Clone Wars right when everything is falling apart for Anakin, Padmé, Kenobi, and the Jedi. Even in the darkest days of the Empire. [In the Rebels series] she’s there as [secret agent] Fulcrum, doing everything she can, risking it all to defeat the Imperials, never giving up.

Johnston: I think my favorite part to write of her was something that Dave brought up really early: Ahsoka is funny. She’s often the one with the zippy one-liner because she’s a 14- to 16-year-old sass-master in the TV show. She’s always bringing everybody down a peg.

Richau: One of the highlights of Star Wars Celebration in Chicago [a year ago] was attending the Ahsoka Lives photo event. There were plenty of men there, but it was mostly a sea of women—women cosplaying as Ahsoka, which is no easy feat! Women wearing Ahsoka T-shirts, and women who just wanted to share their love for the character with fellow fans.

Eckstein: It’s such a beautiful thing that so many people have been so inspired by this character and care so much about this fictional animated character. People are literally—like, grown men, grown women, and children—openly weeping and sobbing over about what happens to this character. It’s really a beautiful thing. And trust me, the tears are going to continue to come in the season finale showing now.

The Dark Side

Some blowback did follow Ahsoka, as with every effort to broaden a fandom by including girls and women. Some male viewers actually did want her gone.

Eckstein: You know what, yeah, there was definitely resistance to Ahsoka. She had her haters in the beginning. People that thought that she was too bratty. I even got a lot of hate in the beginning because I was most known for my work on the Disney Channel. I was an actress on That’s So Raven, and I got a lot of hate that this Disney Channel actress is going to come ruin Star Wars. I definitely read several of those headlines, and I was really, really down. I took a day to just kind of wallow in the negativity and be sad for a second. But then after that day I said, No, this character is still important.

Filoni: We knew that going in, because she starts out so young-seeming. If you go back and look at [the early episodes], she feels very young and very naive and I think that’s for multiple reasons. Part of it is the way we wrote it, part of it is our own naiveness, our lack of experience as a team producing it. It’s a very real one-to-one growth and you can almost say that as the character grew up, so did everybody working on the show. That lent a dimension of reality to her that would’ve been absent otherwise.

Eckstein: I just started asking fans to trust me. I said, look, Ahsoka is about to go on an amazing journey and you’re going to like the direction she’s going in. No character is going to be perfect in the beginning. And if they were, that wouldn’t be very exciting. So I told them, She’s going in the direction you want her to go.

Filoni: She’s earned her place, and it wasn’t automatic. She had to prove herself along the way from this kind of snippy young character who always had an answer for everyone to everything.

Richau: I know when Ahsoka debuted there was a lot of grumbling in the fan base about her character in general, but by the time I met her she was incredibly beloved by fans—who were understandably sad The Clone Wars never got a proper ending.

The Shutdown

After Disney purchased Lucasfilm and began retooling its pipeline to create new movies and TV shows, major projects that had been in the works were halted. Only now is is the finale of The Clone Wars being told.

Ahsoka leaves the Jedi Order (Clone Wars, season 5)COURTESY OF LUCASFILM LTD.

Eckstein: There was a lot of sadness. I mean, I’m not going to lie, I watched the season five finale [in 2013] and I just cried my eyes out. Part of it was because I knew that it was all ending. I was devastated. I chose to work toward the light and be hopeful that I would get to voice Ahsoka again and continue to get to do Star Wars. That’s the way I choose to look at it. And, I mean, boy, I’m looking back of everything that’s happened since 2012, and it’s been incredible.

Filoni tried to give Ahsoka closure by bringing her into season two of Rebels, proving that she survived the purge—but without revealing how.

Filoni: If you look at the growth of the character and how different she is in Rebels than she is in Clone Wars…It’s kind of funny to go back now and do these new episodes, because we had to build a bridge between the younger girl and the kind of wandering Samurai that you begin to get in Rebels.

Johnston also helped fill in the blanks with her 2016 novel, which follows an 18-year-old Ahsoka in the period after the slaying of the Jedi under the Emperor’s Order 66.

Ahsoka%20Novel.jpg

Johnston: The way I got to write her was a little bit more, I guess, sad—because of what’s happened with Order 66. But she never gives in to despair, she never gives in to that sadness. No matter what happens, she’s always, always going to look on the bright side. She’s always going to find something worth salvaging from every situation, and that is a great kind of character to write because you know they’re going to find the best in everyone every time.

Filoni: One of the reasons there was the Ahsoka novel was that I wanted to test the waters: Does this character work outside of the medium of animation? When I talked to the publishing division at Lucasfilm about the potential of it, I said, We should explore it because it will help show people that maybe aren’t as aware of Clone Wars or Rebels that this character has a bigger fan base.

Johnston: It’s a Y.A. book, so I wanted to keep her on the young side, and—especially because so many Clone Wars fans are kids—I wanted the book to be accessible to people who have seen it, even if they’re not confident readers themselves yet. She was 18, which really puts me as close to Order 66 as possible. So, the book ended up being a bit more about healing and less about adventure than I think everybody’s intentions were originally. But that worked out really well because there haven’t been a lot of Star Wars books that deal with the fallout of stuff.

The Present

Ahsoka Lives! Although she broke ground as the “first lead female Jedi,” she endures today in part because she chose to no longer be one.

Richau: She’s not a Jedi. Not because she couldn’t be, but because she chose a different path. Ahsoka choosing to leave the Jedi Order was one of the most powerful moments of The Clone Wars series and I think is one of the most important stories in all of Star Wars. She left the Order, but she didn’t stop helping people. She went her own way and helped take down the Empire. So I wouldn’t call her a Jedi or a padawan. She’s a hero.

Filoni: What’s important about her character is that she can make a different choice. When we wrote the story about her walking away from the Order, it was about her being pulled in one direction, and then the other, and becoming frustrated. We were trying to look at young people and say, There are [predetermined] ways that you can go, but you can also take all this information and make a choice for yourself.

That’s why one of her major final showdowns in the final episodes of The Clone Wars is with Maul—a former Sith apprentice, also now an outsider.

Filoni: I just think of it as Maul has fallen out of the Sith way of doing things, and she has fallen out of the Jedi way of doing things. There’s a parallel there.

The Future

Will Ahsoka turn up in season two of The Mandalorian, which Filoni is executive producing with creator Jon Favreau? No one is saying. But it’s a safe bet to expect more Ahsoka to be interwoven with whatever the future holds for Star Wars.

Filoni: It’s exciting that people have been asking me for years, What about a live-action Ahsoka?

Richau: I’d love to see Ahsoka in The Mandalorian. I hope it’s not a cameo but she’s there for a multi-episode arc. Ashley is rightfully very connected with fans’ minds when they think of Ahsoka. I’m open to another actress tackling the role for live action. Nothing will take away from what Ashley has brought to the character.

Johnston: Obviously in my heart I want to see her pick up baby Yoda because I want to see everybody pick up baby Yoda. I love the surprise of Star Wars so much that I honestly try not to think about it.

Eckstein: I’ve always known that Ahsoka is bigger than just me. I think my hope for anyone that joins Team Tano moving forward is that they realize how much Ahsoka means to people and that she’s more than just a character. She’s more than just a role. She’s more than just another story. Ahsoka is changing lives. I hope that whoever joins the team recognizes that and continues to breathe life into her in a way that carries on her legacy.

Filoni: I’ve done way more Ahsoka stories than I ever thought I would. It seems to be an unstoppable force at this point. I think we just have to be careful and make sure the bar is high and always tell good stories and ones that are adding to the character’s depth and dimension. We’ll see. But it’s potential. Potential energy is always very exciting.

• Like 1

Yeah. Another amazing episode. The way they weaved in and out of Revenge of the Sith, the musical cues, even the story itself was perfect and pretty epic in its own right.

Oh and Maul was made out to be an even bigger bad ass than ever before.

I expect nothing but an amazing final episode. Can’t wait.

• Like 1

A very completely different tone to this episode than any other.   More somber, somewhat quiet throughout.  Not nearly as much dialogue, very measured use of it.  The music was unlike any other in this series or the Star Wars franchise.  Eerily setting the atmosphere for this episode and finale.  The use of the synthesizer during the trip back to the Republic cruiser with Maul in containment was just chilling. The score during that and afterwards was very reminiscent of '80s sci-fi like John Carpenter, Blade Runner,  or even Toto's Dune score.   

Random thoughts:

Speaking of Maul, there was a decided Silence of the Lambs feel to his sub-plot, with him playing the part of Lector in shackles reading the lips of people.  Just fucking awesome.  Just bad ass scenes with him.

I really thought that the discussion regarding Citizen vs Jedi was going to be the "out" Rex and the Clones needed to avoid a confrontation with Ahsoka. I liked the direction they ultimately took. 

The tie in with Rogue One was cool.  Thought that was well done. 

These last 3 episodes I have watched multiple times.  I can't remember the last time I ended a show only to turn around and watch it again.

Can't wait for next week.  This is the best Star Wars has been since the original trilogy.  I really enjoyed Rogue One, but this story arc has taken the place of every movie or series that has come after ROTJ.  

• Like 1

Incredible episode, agree with above the music was perfect. Anyone notice when they brought Maul aboard the cruiser it no longer or looked Republic, it had a very distinct Empire feel to it. The red lighting, darkness, uniforms, amazing

1 hour ago, Smax said:

Incredible episode, agree with above the music was perfect. Anyone notice when they brought Maul aboard the cruiser it no longer or looked Republic, it had a very distinct Empire feel to it. The red lighting, darkness, uniforms, amazing

There were more galactic empire markings on men and equipment this episode. It certainly had a more Imperial feel to it. 

16 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Brilliant episode. I loved the Chopper cameo and the Rogue One reference. 

I hope the finale is an hour. 

That wasn't Chopper, it was a droid similar and sounded like Chopper because Dave Filoni did the voice.  

And yeah, May the Forth...be with us with the final episode.  They planned it perfectly.

I mean i loved it and hated it at the same time. It was like a funeral for the Clone Wars.

Very somber.

They “stuck the landing” but in a way I wasn’t expecting.

Where the first(9)and last episode(11) were super emotional, and the 2nd(10) episode and last episode of this arc were action packed and showed Ahsoka and maul being bad asses.

This one had some action, but was much smaller in scale than I expected. I guess there was no way to follow the hype of the first 3 episodes with something even bigger. I figured we’d see cut aways to other characters(maybe Gregor and Wolfe?) or other CW staples. Maybe some time skips to show Ahsoka and Rex going separate ways. Maybe a larger battle...

So filoni flipped the script and went smaller and more somber. And it worked perfectly.

The last couple of scenes were perfect.

Ashoka looking over the grave sites of clones she had fought beside. Painted with her symbols. And Jesse’s helmet. The last scene with Vader, finding her light saber and seeing the owl that we know represents Ahsoka. And that absolute final scene of vader walking away in the reflection of the clone helmet. That’s stuff we don’t see in animation. They really upped the budget for this

I’m sad it’s gone. And as said above I can’t wait to see the version were it done seem less movie.

Wonder what’s next. Need to see the rebels sequel now with Sabine and Ahsoka finding Ezra.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Music was phenomenal. Didn’t even need dialogue. 

The last episode went through a 2 minute and 20 second stretch between Bo Katan handing off Maul in his box,  to Rex and Ahsoka speaking on the bridge of the ship without any dialogue and it worked perfectly.  

This was a phenomenal ending to the series.  I agree with Drew, this was smaller in scale but it worked.  It'll be a perfect ending if we get another Ahsoka vehicle out of it.  I'd love to see a mini-series or movie with Rex and Ahsoka making their way through the galaxy post-Order 66.  It would be a nice epilogue to the series. 

The action was fantastic.  The soundtrack was amazing, they nailed these last 4 episodes.  The visuals were something that only animation could capture.  

Spoiler

Ahsoka leaving her lightsaber in front of the Clone graveyard was moving.  Vader finding it and walking away was incredible. 

It looked like Rex and Ahsoka were putting pieces of R7 back together.  I wonder if they salvaged him.  

Good shots of the Stormtroopers and Imperial Probe droids searching through the wreckage.  That was well done.

Great ending to a great series.  I just hope we get more from Filoni on this.  The Mandalorian will be fun this year if the rumors are true that Ahsoka will be making a cameo.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Kudos to the team that draws Ahsoka. They are able express so much on her face without any dialogue.

I’m skeptical that Dawson can do her justice.

I didn’t think Carl Weathers could ever be in Star Wars anything, and then Greef Karga happened. Trust in Filoni and Favreau.

• Like 2

IMO this solidified Clone Wars over Rebels. Just a spectacular final four episodes and it elevated a character (Ahsoka) to a whole new level — puts her in the conversation of all time great characters in Star Wars. Dave Filoni hit all the right notes, especially with the score. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

I want more from Filoni but I'm ready to move on from this era.

I’d welcome  a Season 5 of Rebels. I believe a Knights of the Old Republic shown is in the works. 

I could see Lucas guilt tripping Filoni into fixing the sequels. I hope and pray The Mandalorian steers away from that.