Thread for those working through The Clone Wars

NotActuallyALonghorn

Man... those last four episodes... holy shit.  I imagine at some point they are going to put all four parts together so you can watch it as a feature film, because DAMN that would be awesome.

If they don't make Dave Filoni the "story czar" of everything Star Wars going forward, then they don't know what the fuck they are doing because he GETS what Star Wars can and SHOULD be. 

He tells great stories with both new and existing characters and does it in a highly entertaining way that hits on the nostalgia but also provides something new.  It's a goddamn shame that he couldn't have been in charge of the sequel trilogy, because I bet he would have delivered something incredible.

• Like 3

he kind of is.  He is great at bringing Lucas' vision to the screen.   There is a Mandalorian discussion episode on d+ about the directors involved and Taika was on there.   It was also announced that Taika would take the next film over.    

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Nivek said:

he kind of is.  He is great at bringing Lucas' vision to the screen.   There is a Mandalorian discussion episode on d+ about the directors involved and Taika was on there.   It was also announced that Taika would take the next film over.    

Taika was cool in the first episode for the Mando doc, he’s going to do a good job for Star Wars. I like how all the directors basically described Filoni as the Star Wars connoisseur. **take a hint Kathleen Kennedy**

On 5/5/2020 at 8:15 PM, DoneWithit said:

Taika was cool in the first episode for the Mando doc, he’s going to do a good job for Star Wars. I like how all the directors basically described Filoni as the Star Wars connoisseur. **take a hint Kathleen Kennedy**

Yeah I'm not going to hate on Kathleen Kennedy too much. She's been involved in many of my favorite movies of all time... and she's a convenient punching bag for fan boys who didn't like the sequel trilogy.... but there's plenty of blame to go around on that front, including J.J. Abrams and Rian Johnson (and I liked TLJ - I just think he was better suited for an Anthology movie where he could do his thing without worrying about a cohesive three-movie arc); but the thing that makes Filoni different than the rest of them is that he just seems to *get* what make Star Wars work.

You can tell that J.J. Abrams is a huge fan of Star Wars and he did a serviceable job, but all he really did was "play the hits."  He's like a great cover band.

Filoni, on the other hand, is like a great original band who was influenced by the best but creates something totally new and interesting in spirit of the original without outright copying it.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Yeah I'm not going to hate on Kathleen Kennedy too much. She's been involved in many of my favorite movies of all time... and she's a convenient punching bag for fan boys who didn't like the sequel trilogy.... but there's plenty of blame to go around on that front, including J.J. Abrams and Rian Johnson (and I liked TLJ - I just think he was better suited for an Anthology movie where he could do his thing without worrying about a cohesive three-movie arc); but the thing that makes Filoni different than the rest of them is that he just seems to *get* what make Star Wars work.

You can tell that J.J. Abrams is a huge fan of Star Wars and he did a serviceable job, but all he really did was "play the hits."  He's like a great cover band.

Filoni, on the other hand, is like a great original band who was influenced by the best but creates something totally new and interesting in spirit of the original without outright copying it.

I agree. There’s a difference in “knowing Star Wars” and “knowing what to do with Star Wars”. Filoni does the latter and it shows from what he’s created thus far.

• Like 1

I just plowed through the final 6 episodes. That was awesome. The commonality for me in the Dave Filoni series is I don’t want them to end, something I can’t say for Ep. 8 and 9. More on screen stories of what Vader, Ahsoka, and other relevant characters did between Ep. 3 and R1, and where was Ahsoka when Luke and the boys could have used an assist on Hoth, Bespin, and Endor? Was there a canonical meeting between Vader and Maul?

Last Jedi only left me feeling angry at the writer/director and sad for Luke Skywalker. Rise of Skywalker carried that feeling of unfulfilled sadness for the central characters and for us the audience at not realizing a better story/ending for the saga. Best criticism of new trilogy is whoever said you don’t give a shit about any of these new characters. I have no desire to know or see anything else related to those movies, unlike Clone Wars, Rebels, and it seems like Mandorian. 

• Like 2

On 5/4/2020 at 6:06 PM, DoneWithit said:

IMO this solidified Clone Wars over Rebels. Just a spectacular final four episodes and it elevated a character (Ahsoka) to a whole new level — puts her in the conversation of all time great characters in Star Wars. Dave Filoni hit all the right notes, especially with the score. 

I just finally finished Clone Wars last night, and while the ending was pretty awesome, I think I still have to give Rebels credit for the better series just because it was so much tighter. When The Clone Wars was good it was great, but there was just too much nearly useless filler. Of course, even in the droid episodes and Jar Jar episodes there was stuff that they called back to because Filoni is such a master at storytelling, but Rebels had a lot of great stuff as well without having to wade through as much tertiary business. Either way, they both build upon each other and would not be complete without the other, so they both have their place. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

I just finally finished Clone Wars last night, and while the ending was pretty awesome, I think I still have to give Rebels credit for the better series just because it was so much tighter. When The Clone Wars was good it was great, but there was just too much nearly useless filler. Of course, even in the droid episodes and Jar Jar episodes there was stuff that they called back to because Filoni is such a master at storytelling, but Rebels had a lot of great stuff as well without having to wade through as much tertiary business. Either way, they both build upon each other and would not be complete without the other, so they both have their place. 

I only watched the ones from the list (and all of the last two seasons because the list predates those), so that’s likely why I don’t share your opinion. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I only watched the ones from the list (and all of the last two seasons because the list predates those), so that’s likely why I don’t share your opinion. 

Yeah, I can see how how watching only the list would lead one to that conclusion, but Filoni is kinda sneaky in that even a lot of those filler episodes there are some call backs for later episodes that move the story forward. It kind of speaks to his genius and why he should be the one leading the direction of the franchise. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

The Clone Wars story is also more spread out so there is definitely more fillers. But some of those filler episodes gave development to key characters. For me, if I was to take the best of both shows, it would still be Clone Wars that comes out on top because it feels more serious or consequential. Luckily though, they are both good shows to watch for all Star Wars fans — can’t say that about the sequels or other SW content tho . 

• Like 1

I loved both. Clone Wars did have one advantage; variety.

There were several episodes that included story arcs with different protagonists. One arc might be clones, one might be Anakin, one might focus on Maul, etc...

Rebels seemed to include the same core week to week. It worked, but CW just had a grander scale.

Both are amazing and are the best SW material since the ‘80s. 

On 5/17/2020 at 10:48 PM, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Pretty much my thoughts too. I LOVE both.  But I think I like Rebels just a little bit more.  Not mad at someone saying the opposite.

On 5/17/2020 at 11:05 PM, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Yeah, I can see how how watching only the list would lead one to that conclusion, but Filoni is kinda sneaky in that even a lot of those filler episodes there are some call backs for later episodes that move the story forward. It kind of speaks to his genius and why he should be the one leading the direction of the franchise. 

The fucking space wales.  Filoni fed that to us in a "filler" episode of season 2, and everyone who saw the finale knows how it came back.  Dude has it all planned out.

4 hours ago, Drew said:

Pretty much my thoughts too. I LOVE both.  But I think I like Rebels just a little bit more.  Not mad at someone saying the opposite.

The fucking space wales.  Filoni fed that to us in a "filler" episode of season 2, and everyone who saw the finale knows how it came back.  Dude has it all planned out.

The space whale episode was on the list exactly because it wasn’t filler. 

Of rebels?  I, personally, don't think any episodes are filler...but I do distinctly remember social media and reviews saying that episode of rebels was a "filler" episode, and considering that the space wales didn't come back until the very final episode, I could understand why someone would think so.

• 1 month later...

Got around to watching the final season with the kids. Really enjoyed everything minus the storyline with the 2 sisters. Mainly because the sisters just seemed really dumb. I didn't watch any of the rest of the series because prequels never grab me. This final season did a great job of fleshing out the overall grand plan of Sidious and giving the faceless clones in the movie some humanity. The Mandalore storyline was phenomenal. I'm going to rewatch the Ahsoka Rebels episodes as that will make the rewatch more enjoyable. 

• 2 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, DeepEastTexas said:

I’d watch a series that follows Rex and Ahsoka in the days before ANH.  Incredible job of character development by Filoni and crew.

The last 4 episodes were just outstanding. Can’t wait for Mandalorian to start up. 

You mean that follows them more so than Rebels?

After we finished Clone Wars...just amazing... The fam has started moving through Rebels.

We are almost done, but I completely forgot Dume gave himself a sweet ass mullet after communing with Scooby Doo! I also never noticed his name was Dume the first go around or that it's not spelled Doom.

Which means we are close the freaky astral plane part of the story.

Even with time passing since we watched it, IMHO, I think the last four episodes of Clone Wars taken together is the best Star Wars movie.

Got around to watching the final season with the kids. Really enjoyed everything minus the storyline with the 2 sisters. Mainly because the sisters just seemed really dumb. I didn't watch any of the rest of the series because prequels never grab me. This final season did a great job of fleshing out the overall grand plan of Sidious and giving the faceless clones in the movie some humanity. The Mandalore storyline was phenomenal. I'm going to rewatch the Ahsoka Rebels episodes as that will make the rewatch more enjoyable. 

You’re missing out. Clone Wars does a good job redeeming the prequels characters. Find the episode guide so you know what to skip and get to watchin.

• 6 months later...

So I've been working through Clone Wars and Rebels and finished last night.  I'll go ahead and insert the obligatory gif below:

spacer.png

Filoni needs the "Feige Role" within LucasFilm. Both are some of the best Star Wars content of the past 41 years and, while differing in tone, great in their own way.  The last four episodes of Clone Wars, if cut into a 2hr film, would immediately vault into my top three (right after ESB and ANH).

I have a bit of sadness now; I didn't want them to end.  Onto S2 The Mandalorian and then wait for Bad Batch to get my SW fix.

Edited by Dutch
  • Like 1

So I've been working through Clone Wars and Rebels and finished last night.  I'll go ahead and insert the obligatory gif below:
giphy.gif
Filoni needs the "Feige Role" within LucasFilm. Both are some of the best Star Wars content of the past 41 years and, while differing in tone, great in their own way.  The last four episodes of Clone Wars, if cut into a 2hr film, would immediately vault into my top three (right after ESB and ANH).
I have a bit of sadness now; I didn't want them to end.  Onto S2 The Mandalorian and then wait for Bad Batch to get my SW fix.
Those last four episodes as a movie would be my #1. So good.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I recently binged Clone Wars and just finished the ending Sunday night. I didn't really keep track of the series or read this thread so I didn't have any expectations.

Never paying attention to the timeline, I didn't catch on to the finality until Ashoka asked for Anakin and Kenobi said he was sent off to monitor the Chancellor. I sat down my drink and mumbled "Holy Shit" at that moment. That viewing went from being casually entertained to Mother of God what am I witnessing right now.

So much feels for Ashoka in those episodes and I was surprised to be so attached to her character. Didn't see that coming. The one thing that stuck out was her last encounter with Anakin because as a viewer I didn't even realize it would be the last.

The final ending where Vader found her light saber.

Coach Crying GIF by SoulPancake

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...