Need some suggestions. - Arlington

Tigerfn4life

Alright you fucks.

I grew up in Arlington too, and the best advice is to leave as soon as possible.

What part of town are you in? Where are you from?

Pretty much every chain in the country has a place near highland mall.

For a good burger there's Kincaid's at 3900 Arlington Highlands Blvd

Nearby are twp Austin chains,  Pluckers for wings and Chuy's for TexMex

Up north there is a place called Mama's Pizza (1200 N Fielder Rd) which has thin pizza with a big thick crust. Pretty much the only place I wanted to go when visiting my dad in Arlington.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, blacklab said:

Alright you fucks.

I grew up in Arlington too, and the best advice is to leave as soon as possible.

Up north there is a place called Mama's Pizza (1200 N Fielder Rd) which has thin pizza with a big thick crust. Pretty much the only place I wanted to go when visiting my dad in Arlington.

You reek of Lamar Viking.

2 minutes ago, blacklab said:

Fuck Lamar

Martin Warriors baby

Mama's near Martin closed a while back, the one on fielder is the only one in Arlington left.

LOL.  Son of The White and Green here.

I remember riding dirt bikes on the dirt spoils when Martin was under construction.  My old man forbade me from riding motorcycles, so it was quite an interaction when he drove by Martin in his car only to look over and see me mid-air about 15 feet up coming off a big dirt pile jump while clad only in a pair of OP shorts and tennis shoes.  

/csb

Ha.

We were there around the same time. Graduated in 87.

At the Martin AHS football game AHS had a sign that said "You're daddy can't buy you this one"

We had one that said "Our maid's daughter goes to AHS"

We didn't really care for Lamar or AHS, but we hated Sam Houston. My senior year there was a fistfight at the football, basketball, baseball and soccer games between Martin and SH.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, blacklab said:

Alright you fucks.

I'm staying right off of I-20. I guess it would be considered east side of Arlington near Grand Prairie. I am from the state with the second most state pride(only texas people have more) South Carolina. I have been here a couple of times but never more than a day or two at a time. I went to Plucker's the other night. It was pretty good. 

There's a few good BBQ places in the area, none in Arlington

https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/2017-top-50-bbq-map/

definitely worth a drive for some of these.

This board

https://www.surlyhorns.com/board/index.php?/forum/27-dallas/

will have suggestions for everything else, it's a hike to Dallas but there's several places that are worth the drive.

Arlington exploded from 50,000 people to 270,000 people from 1979-1987. Not very many local things, chains came in and took over the restaurant scene and mom and pops never took off so it's completely unlike Austin that has hundreds of mom and pop type places I could point you to.

Only fun bar is J. Gilligan's Bar & Grill up near downtown. 

33 minutes ago, Tigerfn4life said:

I'm staying right off of I-20. I guess it would be considered east side of Arlington near Grand Prairie. I am from the state with the second most state pride(only texas people have more) South Carolina. I have been here a couple of times but never more than a day or two at a time. I went to Plucker's the other night. It was pretty good. 

You could go to Babes, it shouldn't be too far.

I wouldn't say the chains took over everything, at least not the big chains. Arlington has tons of mom-and-pop ethnic restaurants and then there are the local/small chains.Off the top of my head, I can think of Prince Lebanese Grill, Campo Verde, Mercado Juarez, Mariano's, Narah Cafe, Babe's Chicken, and Twisted Root Burgers.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Apep said:

I wouldn't say the chains took over everything, at least not the big chains. Arlington has tons of mom-and-pop ethnic restaurants and then there are the local/small chains.Off the top of my head, I can think of Prince Lebanese Grill, Campo Verde, Mercado Juarez, Mariano's, Narah Cafe, Babe's Chicken, and Twisted Root Burgers.

Lisa's Chicken....

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

You'd be better off staying near downtown Fort Worth or Uptown Dallas than spending a month in Arlington, TX. 

Staying down this way was suggested by coworkers because it's a short drive to my worksite. I have the option to move and I may try something different on the back half of the trip. 

Also, don’t know anything about the place except this article from last month. It’s near the four I linked above, give it a shot & report back. 

Chicago-style Italian beef has a new home in downtown Arlington.

Hershey’s Palace, formerly on South Halsted Street in the Windy City, has opened on East Abram Street.

Those winds blew Hershey’s everywhere else before Arlington. The restaurant moved to Breckenridge, Texas, and two Sansom Park locations before settling at 513 E. Abram St. in the Urban Union district.

The new location is more central for Hershey’s expatriate Chicago followers and for new patrons seeking Hershey’s chicken tenders, catfish and Chicago sandwiches.

You can’t tell it from the menu, but Hershey’s is best known for an Italian beef sandwich. Order it “dipped” or “wet,” with hot giardiniera relish.

Hershey’s also serves steak hoagies, chicken wings and “pizza puffs,” along with a routine thin-crust pizza.

Each comes with — a big plus — crinkle fries.

It’s a small take-out counter with a few tables, although an expansion is planned.

It’s open for lunch and dinner daily in a former chicken stand on Abram near Fuzzy’s Taco Shop; 682-323-5050.

Fucking AWFUL name for a Chicago joint though. 

Leave immediately, it's terrible. But for some serious recs: 

• Prince Lebanese Grill - legit great
  • Gyro House
  • Mariano's
  • Zavala's BBQ in Grand Prairie - pretty legit
  • Firehouse Gastro Park in Grand Prairie
  • Limon's or Fito's or Los Jarros or La Banqueta for tacos etc.
  • Cafemandu or Everest for Nepalese - Irving, but close to Arlington
  • Ba Le or Pho Hung - for pho
  • Like 1