2020 WS Champion New York Yankees Season Thread

Helobious

On 2/20/2020 at 12:06 AM, Helobious said:

I 1000% switched Sevy & Paxton. Sevy should be good for opening day, Paxton is the one that likely won’t pitch this season. It don’t make a shit.

On 2/20/2020 at 6:05 PM, Helobious said:

Jinxes & curses only work if you believe in them. 

Lulz.

Here’s some good news for Helo. Gotta get those shitty players out. 

In yet another bit of unwelcome injury news for the Yankees, manager Aaron Boone told reporters Wednesday that Giancarlo Stanton sustained a calf injury while working in the outfield yesterday. Stanton has already undergone an MRI, which revealed a Grade 1 strain in his ailing right calf. Boone suggested that Stanton will “be down for a bit” and implied that the slugger could miss time early in the season.

On 3/1/2020 at 3:06 PM, Helobious said:

The Yankees entire strength & conditioning staff needs to be publicly hanged at the home opener before first pitch. Fucking ridiculous.

TAMPA — If George Steinbrenner were alive and still running the Yankees, they’d be looking for new trainers and team doctors -- even after a bunch of them were fired last winter.

You can almost hear Steinbrenner bellowing: “Can anyone diagnose a (bleeping) injury around here?”

Three of the Yankees biggest -- and highest-paid stars -- outfielder Aaron Judge and pitchers James Paxton and Luis Severino have been sidelined in spring training with injuries they suffered last season.

Doctor J could’ve kept the Yankees healthier.

Judge, the latest star sidelined in this massive screwup, has a stress fracture to his first right rib that he suffered while diving for a ball in September. The Yankees will reassess Judge after two weeks, they said Friday -- as if Judge, after failing to heal over the past six months will miraculous mend in two weeks. Opening Day is less than three weeks away.

And think about what we just said: Judge had a broken bone in his body and Yankees doctors couldn’t find it -- even after Judge told team trainers he heard a “crack” and a “pop" last Sept. 18, when he tried to rob the Angels’ Albert Pujols of a single.

After sitting one day, Judge was back in the lineup for the remainder of the regular season and playoffs, even though he needed multiple cortisone shots to deal with his pain.

As far as we know, the Yankees didn’t run anymore tests, didn’t give Judge a strategy for the offseason, didn’t closely monitor his activities. So, Judge worked out like a maniac, hitting all winter, and throughout November, December and January, there was more shoulder and pec discomfort.

“Me pissed about how the season ended last year and the changes I wanted to make, I went right back to it,” Judge said. “We’ve all been through pain, bumps and bruises. In my head, I felt like it was something that I could fight through, and I think that kind of cost me a little bit there.”

Judge will begin the 2020 season on the injured list. Who knows when he might be ready to play? Given the way the Yankees have botched this, would it surprise anyone to hear Judge will have surgery and miss the entire season?

According to verywellhealth.com, Judge’s injury takes three to six months to heal without surgery. He was told on Friday that he’s probably halfway through the healing process, so best-case scenario he’s six weeks to three months from being healed.

https://www.nj.com/yankees/2020/03/it-wasnt-batting-practice-it-was-malpractice-yankees-are-to-blame-for-aaron-judges-botched-diagnosis.html

• 1 month later...

When some baseball players retire, they enjoy being able to break free from the constant cycle of exercise and watching what they eat. Judging by his transformed appearance, Sabathia has apparently enjoyed doing the complete opposite.

Sabathia, 39, battled a number of health and wellness issues in the years leading to his retirement, including a recurring knee injury (he had surgery in 2016 but the pain continued to flare up), alcoholism (he checked himself into a rehab facility in September 2015), and a heart problem (he required a stent in 2018 to open up a blocked artery). He and the Yankees revamped his preseason training to focus on building strength in early 2018, shortly after he became a raw vegan.

The Yankees, of course, can only longingly look at the photo of jacked Sabathia and wonder what their rotation would look like if they could slot him in. They could be upset that Sabathia decided to become totally jacked only after retiring, or they could look at this as an opportunity: if they endure another season of ceaseless pitcher injuries, Sabathia should be their very first call if they start to run out of warm bodies to send to the mound.

https://sports.yahoo.com/cc-sabathia-has-missed-the-entire-point-of-retirement-by-getting-totally-jacked-153205683.html

View image on Twitter

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Helo can buy his Fathead now. 

Luke Voit traded late-night snacks for long quarantine runs through his suburban St. Louis neighborhood, and the Yankees first baseman is proudly showing off the results through the early days of the club’s Summer Camp at Yankee Stadium.

Noticeably trimmer from when the Yankees scattered after Spring Training was shut down March 12, Voit said that he has shed 13 pounds from his listed weight of 255 pounds, attributing the change to “eating clean.”

“My wife [Tori] did a great job cooking,” Voit said on Tuesday. “It was not a lot of carbs, mostly meat and vegetables. I quit snacking late at night and I brought a lot of cardio to the table too. It was just being strict and not having as many cheat meals on the weekends.”

Voit said that he adhered to a schedule at his Wildwood, Mo., home, aiming to perform two days of cardiovascular exercise per week and beginning each of his weightlifting sessions with a one- to 1 1/2-mile run.

“I wanted to be really clean, just to be a little bit quicker for this year,” Voit said. “It worked out really well.”

One of the more energetic Yankees between the white lines, Voit said that he is in the process of adjusting to playing without fans in the stands as the Yanks prepare for the regular season.

“The weirdest part is walking out of the dugout when you're walking out to stretch in the field,” Voit said. “You’re used to getting a little ovation when you're running out, or you get the guys out in right field yelling at you.

“It's different, but it felt good to put the cleats on, the jersey back on, get those game reps. It kind of reminds me of college and fall ball, but overall I felt really good to be back out in the stadium again.”

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Your boy is back! 

The Yankees announced that outfielder Giancarlo Stanton, infielder Gio Urshela and right-hander Jonathan Loaisiga have all been reinstated from the 10-day injured list.  Miguel Andujar and Mike Ford were optioned to the alternate training site in corresponding moves, and the Yankees already had an open roster space since right-hander Clarke Schmidt was optioned after Sunday’s game.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

What do you think they will do @Helobious  ?    Excerpts,  full article worth the read.    I have always been perplexed by his defense.   No one in minors  ?

What the Yankees do before 8 p.m. on Wednesday will reveal how they viewed a 60-game season from an individual standpoint and the impact of the financial hit they took by playing games without selling one ticket.

Like all teams, the Yankees have to tender arbitration-eligible players contracts by Wednesday evening. If a player is tendered he is a signed player. If not tendered, he is a free agent.

And the premier name in that situation is catcher Gary Sanchez, who turns 28 on Wednesday, a two-time All-Star who hit 34 home runs and drove in 77 runs during the 2019 season before producing a dreadful 2020 season in which he batted an unfathomable .147 (23-for-156) and struck out a whopping 64 times in 49 games and started just two of the seven Yankees playoff games.

The buzz in the scouting industry is teams shouldn’t put too much stock in a two-month regular season when it comes to individual performances, good or bad.

If the Yankees use that glass half-full approach, then they likely tender Sanchez a contract and prepare to give him a raise from the $5 million he made in the pandemic-impacted 2020 season.

Should the Yankees not tender Sanchez a contract, it will be an indication they don’t believe he is worth that type of money coming off the year he had and an indication that the club is making an effort to get under the $210 million luxury-tax threshold for 2021. It is believed the Yankees took a financial hit upward of $220 million last season. After the season Hal Steinbrenner said the Yankees lost more money than any other team.

One factor that favors Sanchez returning is that if he doesn’t, the Yankees have to find a catcher to pair with Kyle Higashioka and that would likely come from the free-agent pool that isn’t deep after J.T. Realmuto, who will be beyond the Yankees’ reach financially.

https://nypost.com/2020/11/29/yankees-verdict-on-gary-sanchez-will-tell-us-everything/

10 minutes ago, torre said:

What do you think they will do @Helobious  ?    Excerpts,  full article worth the read.    I have always been perplexed by his defense.   No one in minors  ?

What the Yankees do before 8 p.m. on Wednesday will reveal how they viewed a 60-game season from an individual standpoint and the impact of the financial hit they took by playing games without selling one ticket.

Like all teams, the Yankees have to tender arbitration-eligible players contracts by Wednesday evening. If a player is tendered he is a signed player. If not tendered, he is a free agent.

And the premier name in that situation is catcher Gary Sanchez, who turns 28 on Wednesday, a two-time All-Star who hit 34 home runs and drove in 77 runs during the 2019 season before producing a dreadful 2020 season in which he batted an unfathomable .147 (23-for-156) and struck out a whopping 64 times in 49 games and started just two of the seven Yankees playoff games.

The buzz in the scouting industry is teams shouldn’t put too much stock in a two-month regular season when it comes to individual performances, good or bad.

If the Yankees use that glass half-full approach, then they likely tender Sanchez a contract and prepare to give him a raise from the $5 million he made in the pandemic-impacted 2020 season.

Should the Yankees not tender Sanchez a contract, it will be an indication they don’t believe he is worth that type of money coming off the year he had and an indication that the club is making an effort to get under the $210 million luxury-tax threshold for 2021. It is believed the Yankees took a financial hit upward of $220 million last season. After the season Hal Steinbrenner said the Yankees lost more money than any other team.

One factor that favors Sanchez returning is that if he doesn’t, the Yankees have to find a catcher to pair with Kyle Higashioka and that would likely come from the free-agent pool that isn’t deep after J.T. Realmuto, who will be beyond the Yankees’ reach financially.

https://nypost.com/2020/11/29/yankees-verdict-on-gary-sanchez-will-tell-us-everything/

They’ll try to bring him back. Worst case he’ll be non-tendered and they’ll hope another team doesn’t take him, so the Yankees can re-sign him below arbitration. He was horrible this year but as far as catchers go he still has some upside.

• 3 months later...