Greg Robinson Busted with 157lbs of weed

DallasHorn26

BROWNS LINEMAN GREG ROBINSON BUSTED FOR 157 LBS. OF WEED Facing Up To 20 Yrs In Prison

TMZ

4:45 PM PT -- TMZ Sports has learned that Greg Robinson was busted with 156.9 pounds of marijuana, according to law enforcement docs.

Robinson -- who was also with 26-year-old ex-NFL player Quan Bray -- was stopped around 7:15 PM on Monday evening after a Border Patrol drug-sniffing dog alerted to the rear cargo door of their 2020 Chevy Tahoe.

According to the docs, Robinson and Bray were NOT reentering the country from Mexico -- rather they were trying to get from Los Angeles to Louisiana and hit the checkpoint on the way.

The agents performed a follow-up search and located several vacuum-sealed black bags full of a green leafy substance.

Border Patrol tested the substance and it came back positive for marijuana.

BP says they also found 23 mason jars, a can sealing machine, an electronic scale, and $3,100 in cash in Bray's jeans.

There was a third person in the SUV -- who was not charged. During the stop, Robinson and Bray allegedly tried to get that person to take the fall for the weed.

BP says while in custody, agents observed a text notification on Robinson's cell phone from a contact listed as "Grow House Indoor."

Robinson and Bray are facing up to 20 years in prison, if convicted.

Robinson and Bray were teammates at Auburn. Bray -- a wide receiver -- played a few seasons with the Indianapolis Colts, but never really caught on in the NFL. He was most recently playing with the CFL's Montreal Alouettes.

Cleveland Browns lineman Greg Robinson -- the #2 overall pick in the 2014 NFL Draft -- is in custody after officials say he was found with A LOT of marijuana at a border patrol checkpoint.

We're told Robinson was stopped on Monday at the Sierra Blanca border checkpoint near the U.S., Mexico border. We're still working on the details surrounding the arrest.

Jail records show Robinson is still in custody and we're told he's facing a federal charge of possession with intent to distribute.

27-year-old Robinson was an absolute stud back in his college days -- making 1st Team All-SEC during his 2013 season at Auburn.

The NFL scouts drooled over Robinson -- he's 6'5", 332 pounds -- and when the Rams took him with the #2 pick in 2014, they signed him to a fully guaranteed 4-year $21 million contract.

The bad news for the Rams ... he didn't live up to the hype so they traded him to the Detroit Lions for a 6th round pick in 2017. The Browns signed Robinson in 2018 and re-signed him in 2019.

Sources tell us the Browns recently informed Robinson they would not be bringing him back for the 2020 season.

Robinson has reportedly made more than $29 million in contract money during his NFL career.

We reached out to Robinson's rep and the Cleveland Browns -- so far, no comment from either.

WTF? $29 million and you're running drugs.  

43 minutes ago, WBT said:

Interior border patrol checkpoints are bullshit

I had no idea there were official border patrol checkpoints that aren't on the border. 

I thought their authority was within a short distance of an international border. 

40 minutes ago, WBT said:

I don't disagree, but how effing dumb do you have to be to not drive a different route when you have that much drugs?  These morons couldn't be bothered to add a couple hours to the trip and drive through Amarillo?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

I had no idea there were official border patrol checkpoints that aren't on the border. 

I thought their authority was within a short distance of an international border. 

100 mile border zone IIRC?

Edited by NoName

11 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

California has run border checkpoints on major highways from other states since I was a toddler. Agents wanting to know if the travelers are in possession of any fruits or veggies from out of state. At least they used to up until the late 1950s.

All east-bound traffic on I10 is stopped at a huge checkpoint near Sierra Blanca. There are multiple permanent checkpoints along the border, featuring dozens of cameras and scanners that make the airport versions look like kids' toys. By the time you get to the point where they ask if you're an American Citizen, they already know who owns the vehicle and who might be in it. Since the permanent checkpoints have been built, and Border Patrol folded into DHS along with ICE and others, there is effectively nowhere they can't go and "patrol", although the currently claimed limit is 100 miles from the border.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, NoName said:

100 mile border zone IIRC?

There's  a checkpoint on 77 around Sarita just south of corpus, it's about 100 miles from Brownsville but probably only ~75 miles from the border as the crow flies.  

Agreed with all above that interior border stops are bullshit AND these guys are dumbasses for not scouting their route and finding one that didn't include a border stop.  

I’m always shocked that American adults are unaware of interior “border“ checkpoints. I’ve been passing through them my whole life.
Fun fact: if traffic is bad enough, sometimes the agents will just wave everyone through without asking them anything.
I guess this wasn’t one of those times.

1 hour ago, WBT said:

Yeah if only there was a way to take care of it elsewhere..

Just now, Helobious said:

I’m always shocked that American adults are unaware of interior “border“ checkpoints. I’ve been passing through them my whole life.
Fun fact: if traffic is bad enough, sometimes the agents will just wave everyone through without asking them anything.
I guess this wasn’t one of those times.

Some people don't leave the suburb man

1 hour ago, DallasHorn26 said:

The agents performed a follow-up search and located several vacuum-sealed black bags full of a green leafy substance.

Border Patrol tested the substance and it came back positive for marijuana.

F'n seriously? This article is reading like he had several suitcases of shake, in which case, the judge should throw the book at him. 

23 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

100 miles seems a little far. I always hated the checkpoint when driving back from Mexico through McAllen. Those guys were bitches, the checkpoint up 35 from Laredo was way easier

Yeah they just ask if everyone in the vehicle is a citizen and they take you at your word for it. My mother-in-law is a citizen but one would understandably suspect otherwise if you looked at her and listened to her really thick accent. 

Regarding this story, I can only state what I already have countless times before: this shouldn’t even be a crime, so here’s a big “fuck you” to anyone who thinks society benefitted by the arrests.

• Like 5

Don’t drive down I-10 from California thru TX. 

JFC. That check point is known as checkpoint if the stars...

Little background on that spot fro 2015:

A federal inspection station on Interstate 10 in the West Texas desert earned the nickname "checkpoint of the stars" for all the entertainers who kept getting busted there. In the past six years, Willie Nelson, Snoop Dogg, Nelly and Fiona Apple were all arrested for possession of marijuana.

These days, though, after a decision by a local lawman, everyone from personal pot smokers to medium-size marijuana traffickers can avoid jail.

The Sierra Blanca Border Patrol checkpoint was once the bane of pot smokers driving from Los Angeles to Texas. Green-suited federal agents and their uncanny drug dogs would make 20 to 30 busts a day.

"I had two little buds (of marijuana) wrapped up in my Dopp kit in my suitcase in the trunk of the car," recalls Austin writer and filmmaker Al Reinert, who was busted at the checkpoint two years ago. "The Border Patrol guys never would have found it if the dogs hadn't sniffed it out."

arvin_west2-eee20a544a727d66e17160c3584f

After federal grants used to help pay for housing offenders arrested on drug charges dried up, Sheriff Arvin West of Hudspeth County, Texas, stopped taking any more cases from the checkpoint. He says they occupied two full-time deputies and one-fourth of the space in the county jail.

John Burnett/NPR

Here's how it used to work: The Border Patrol would hold the suspect and the stash, the sheriff in the sleepy town of Sierra Blanca would send a deputy out to pick them up, then they'd be booked into the jail in Hudspeth County — an area larger than Connecticut filled with greasewood, cactus, humpbacked mountains and only 5,000 people.

Most of the cannabis holders were issued a citation, released and told to pay a $400 fine later — though many never paid up.

But for the past year, Hudspeth County Sheriff Arvin West has refused to take any more "checkpoint cases," even those involving commercial quantities of marijuana worth thousands of dollars.

"I don't have a problem whatsoever going out there and arresting them," West says. "I just have a problem making my local taxpayers foot the bill for America's problem. I'm not gonna do the federal government's job."

A Dispute Over Money, Not Justice

West is a stout, swaggering lawman who has a sign over his office door that reads "Boss Hog."

The checkpoint dispute is not about justice, it's about money. The sheriff says there were so many checkpoint cases they occupied two of his full-time deputies and a fourth of the space in his county jail. This was OK as long as he was getting federal criminal justice grants, but those have dried up.

"When I occupy one of those beds it takes away from a paying customer back there," the sheriff says.

His jail is a moneymaker. Like a lot of poor Texas counties, Hudspeth built an oversize jail so it can rent out excess space to other counties at $45 a night per prisoner.

The fact that West won't accept any checkpoint cases because he wants somebody to pay him for his prisoners rubs some people the wrong way.

"What I wonder is why is it possible to arrest Willie Nelson and not anybody else?" asks Jaime Esparza, district attorney for El Paso and two neighboring counties. "Making sure your community is safe and prosecuting crime is not a profit-making business. It never has been."

West blames federal authorities for not prosecuting the marijuana cases themselves. But the U.S. Department of Justice is less and less interested in low-level possession cases. West says the Drug Enforcement Administration only gets involved when the amount is more than 40 to 50 pounds of marijuana.

Will Glaspy, special agent in charge of the El Paso DEA, says if he decides to take a case, they have to send agents 85 miles to Sierra Blanca to pick up the suspects and the dope.

"When we're trying to be smarter with federal resources, both from a law enforcement standpoint and a judicial standpoint, many of these cases just don't belong in federal court," Glaspy says.

Massive Disparity In Prosecution

For instance, when a person is busted for 35 pounds of marijuana in downtown Sierra Blanca — such as it is — he faces a second-degree felony and prison time. But if that person gets caught with the same size load at the federal checkpoint, he walks — unless there are aggravating circumstances, such as a weapon involved.

brooks-county-marijuana-chase-e54177e7e2

A car filled with bales of marijuana is seen at a police station in La Grulla, Texas, in 2013. A lot of drugs pass through the Border Patrol inspection station in Brooks County, where La Grulla is located; it, too, is refusing to take checkpoint cases.

Eric Thayer/Reuters/Landov

The Border Patrol does not release numbers on individuals who have their narcotics confiscated and are not arrested.

Hudspeth County is not alone. There's a Border Patrol inspection station in Brooks County, Texas, that catches lots of narcotics coming out of the Rio Grande Valley. Brooks has such a tiny budget that it, too, refuses checkpoint cases.

Chris Cabrera, a Border Patrol union representative in the Rio Grande Valley, says traffickers caught with dozens of pounds of pot are routinely released, and they learn to exploit this loophole.

"That's a shame when drug smugglers can walk free," Cabrera says. "Granted, they lose their load, but they're able to make it up the next day or the day after and find a different route. They adapt to our inability to do our job."

Back at the Hudspeth County Jail, it's not as exciting now that the tour buses are gone and there are no more famous mugshots.

"Why did Willie and Fiona have to pay their fines and go through the court system and these other people not?" West says. "The federal government is playing with people's lives with selective prosecution."

The sheriff's critics say he is doing the same thing.

Edited by Doc Reeves
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Is that a lot?  That sounds like a lot.

depends on if it's the ditch weed $ or the gas $$$$$$

I'm guessing it's the good stuff, and yeah 157# is probably like $160k or like $500k street value when sold in smaller quantities. 

17 minutes ago, Zavala said:

depends on if it's the ditch weed $ or the gas $$$$$$

I'm guessing it's the good stuff, and yeah 157# is probably like $160k or like $500k street value when sold in smaller quantities. 

Break 157# into quarters and it would take over 10,000 transactions to get rid of the inventory.

There are only 50 quart-sized Ziplocs in a box. How do you even logistically break up 157# of weed into retail-sized bags?

I am convinced the investment of our lifetimes is the first wave of legal weed companies. The weed business has long drawn in insanely creative people who know how to make money on a product that has huge demand. Can't blame this guy for trying. It is crazy that in 2020 we are still busting people for weed in this country.

a) why is a guy worth 8 figs smuggling drugs to make an extra ~$200k?  

b) Hemp, now legal federally and in Texas, smells EXACTLY like illegal cannabis.  So...if a drug dog that's trained to smell marijuana alerts on a car, does that even give rise to probable cause anymore?  I don't see how it could.  It's no different than if the dog were trained to alert on tobacco.  The dog's alert is no longer evidence of possession of a controlled substance. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

Break 157# into quarters and it would take over 10,000 transactions to get rid of the inventory.

You're gonna need some foot soldiers to unload that much weed.

spacer.png

(btw, through most of season 2 of BB, and this show is awesome. Can't believe I never watched it before).

Edited by Sbbruin

28 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

There are only 50 quart-sized Ziplocs in a box. How do you even logistically break up 157# of weed into retail-sized bags?

I am convinced the investment of our lifetimes is the first wave of legal weed companies. The weed business has long drawn in insanely creative people who know how to make money on a product that has huge demand. Can't blame this guy for trying. It is crazy that in 2020 we are still busting people for weed in this country.

Yeah my cousin makes bank but he does it legally. These turds were committing a crime and they should be punished accordingly. Lots of people disagree with the laws, doesn't give anyone the right to break them. 

Legalizing dope doesn't help anyone, the state gets more $$$ to waste, more people devote their lives to drugs instead of anything productive. If that is how you want to live I really don't care, but I feel sorry for people who promote stoner culture and waste their lives inhaling a chemical to simulate the euphoria and satisfaction you would feel doing something great.

Also, the breaking down thing - these are "big fish" they sell off the weed in oz, those people break it down into quarters, those people break it down into 8ths and gs. 

Edited by Zavala
  • Like 4
  • Fuck You 2

Legalizing dope doesn't help anyone, the state gets more $$$ to waste, more people devote their lives to drugs instead of anything productive. If that is how you want to live I really don't care, but I feel sorry for people who promote stoner culture and waste their lives inhaling a chemical to simulate the euphoria and satisfaction you would feel doing something great.

Can I lay into this blithering idiot here, or do I need to save that for CR?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 8
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

California has run border checkpoints on major highways from other states since I was a toddler. Agents wanting to know if the travelers are in possession of any fruits or veggies from out of state. At least they used to up until the late 1950s.

Bullshit, California wasn't a state when you were a toddler.

• Like 2

There’s a fair amount of stupid involved here. If Robinson is the financing behind the grow house in Cali, which is possibly the case, why the fuck wouldn’t he hire someone else to drive it? And maybe take a different route that doesn’t go through a drug-dog checkpoint. I expect he gets off with a minimum sentence though. 

1 hour ago, Doc Reeves said:

Don’t drive down I-10 from California thru TX. 

JFC. That check point is known as checkpoint if the stars...

Little background on that spot fro 2015:

A federal inspection station on Interstate 10 in the West Texas desert earned the nickname "checkpoint of the stars" for all the entertainers who kept getting busted there. In the past six years, Willie Nelson, Snoop Dogg, Nelly and Fiona Apple were all arrested for possession of marijuana.

These days, though, after a decision by a local lawman, everyone from personal pot smokers to medium-size marijuana traffickers can avoid jail.

The Sierra Blanca Border Patrol checkpoint was once the bane of pot smokers driving from Los Angeles to Texas. Green-suited federal agents and their uncanny drug dogs would make 20 to 30 busts a day.

"I had two little buds (of marijuana) wrapped up in my Dopp kit in my suitcase in the trunk of the car," recalls Austin writer and filmmaker Al Reinert, who was busted at the checkpoint two years ago. "The Border Patrol guys never would have found it if the dogs hadn't sniffed it out."

arvin_west2-eee20a544a727d66e17160c3584f

After federal grants used to help pay for housing offenders arrested on drug charges dried up, Sheriff Arvin West of Hudspeth County, Texas, stopped taking any more cases from the checkpoint. He says they occupied two full-time deputies and one-fourth of the space in the county jail.

John Burnett/NPR

Here's how it used to work: The Border Patrol would hold the suspect and the stash, the sheriff in the sleepy town of Sierra Blanca would send a deputy out to pick them up, then they'd be booked into the jail in Hudspeth County — an area larger than Connecticut filled with greasewood, cactus, humpbacked mountains and only 5,000 people.

Most of the cannabis holders were issued a citation, released and told to pay a $400 fine later — though many never paid up.

But for the past year, Hudspeth County Sheriff Arvin West has refused to take any more "checkpoint cases," even those involving commercial quantities of marijuana worth thousands of dollars.

"I don't have a problem whatsoever going out there and arresting them," West says. "I just have a problem making my local taxpayers foot the bill for America's problem. I'm not gonna do the federal government's job."

A Dispute Over Money, Not Justice

West is a stout, swaggering lawman who has a sign over his office door that reads "Boss Hog."

The checkpoint dispute is not about justice, it's about money. The sheriff says there were so many checkpoint cases they occupied two of his full-time deputies and a fourth of the space in his county jail. This was OK as long as he was getting federal criminal justice grants, but those have dried up.

"When I occupy one of those beds it takes away from a paying customer back there," the sheriff says.

His jail is a moneymaker. Like a lot of poor Texas counties, Hudspeth built an oversize jail so it can rent out excess space to other counties at $45 a night per prisoner.

The fact that West won't accept any checkpoint cases because he wants somebody to pay him for his prisoners rubs some people the wrong way.

"What I wonder is why is it possible to arrest Willie Nelson and not anybody else?" asks Jaime Esparza, district attorney for El Paso and two neighboring counties. "Making sure your community is safe and prosecuting crime is not a profit-making business. It never has been."

West blames federal authorities for not prosecuting the marijuana cases themselves. But the U.S. Department of Justice is less and less interested in low-level possession cases. West says the Drug Enforcement Administration only gets involved when the amount is more than 40 to 50 pounds of marijuana.

Will Glaspy, special agent in charge of the El Paso DEA, says if he decides to take a case, they have to send agents 85 miles to Sierra Blanca to pick up the suspects and the dope.

"When we're trying to be smarter with federal resources, both from a law enforcement standpoint and a judicial standpoint, many of these cases just don't belong in federal court," Glaspy says.

Massive Disparity In Prosecution

For instance, when a person is busted for 35 pounds of marijuana in downtown Sierra Blanca — such as it is — he faces a second-degree felony and prison time. But if that person gets caught with the same size load at the federal checkpoint, he walks — unless there are aggravating circumstances, such as a weapon involved.

brooks-county-marijuana-chase-e54177e7e2

A car filled with bales of marijuana is seen at a police station in La Grulla, Texas, in 2013. A lot of drugs pass through the Border Patrol inspection station in Brooks County, where La Grulla is located; it, too, is refusing to take checkpoint cases.

Eric Thayer/Reuters/Landov

The Border Patrol does not release numbers on individuals who have their narcotics confiscated and are not arrested.

Hudspeth County is not alone. There's a Border Patrol inspection station in Brooks County, Texas, that catches lots of narcotics coming out of the Rio Grande Valley. Brooks has such a tiny budget that it, too, refuses checkpoint cases.

Chris Cabrera, a Border Patrol union representative in the Rio Grande Valley, says traffickers caught with dozens of pounds of pot are routinely released, and they learn to exploit this loophole.

"That's a shame when drug smugglers can walk free," Cabrera says. "Granted, they lose their load, but they're able to make it up the next day or the day after and find a different route. They adapt to our inability to do our job."

Back at the Hudspeth County Jail, it's not as exciting now that the tour buses are gone and there are no more famous mugshots.

"Why did Willie and Fiona have to pay their fines and go through the court system and these other people not?" West says. "The federal government is playing with people's lives with selective prosecution."

The sheriff's critics say he is doing the same thing.

One interesting thing this points out is the essential arbitrariness between draconian federal charges and relatively reasonable state charges.  And the very fundamental wrongness of having both federal and state laws prohibiting the same thing.