Let's talk shag... Carpet and stuff

NWBuck

My search for a mattress wasn't nearly frustrating enough, so let's shop for wall to wall carpeting! 

(The wife {no pics} won't go for hardwood floors, and I'm guessing that applies to this conversation as well) 

Not an immediate need, but looking to replace about 1000 sq ft on the main/upper level (living room, dining room, hallway, three bedrooms), including the stairs (two runs of 8 and 7 feet). 

Any wisdom on things I should be looking for or aware of would be greatly appreciated. I know that I've got to keep carpet, padding, and installation in mind as we're pricing things; so I'm particularly interested in insights regarding the first two. 

Thanks in advance...

Edited by NWBuck

Your wife wants carpet? In today's hardwood everything society? She's either awesome or nuts.

I have nothing to add but... I loved the fuck out of carpet as a kid. It made every room a sporting arena and I dove all over it. I think it's a big reason I can still dive and fall as an old without ever getting injured. 

Hard wood is the choice with all the hip kids today. I prefer hardwood with large area rugs (that could be a compromise).

Whatever carpet you choose, splurge on the under padding.   Listen to me on this.  Good undperpadding makes carpet last longer, and feels better underfoot, especially if you're on concrete slab.

• Like 1

Another plus for Onboard. It’s all about the pad. We just put carpet in kids’ rooms and playroom. Went with cheaper carpet ($1.75 sq/ft) and best pad we could get (still cheap- .50 sq/ft). The pad makes it comfortable and feel like more expensive carpet. Did not go to Lowe’s.

*well, we did. They didn’t tell us until install day that the carpet was completely out and they would have to make more. That was going to be another 3 weeks, so we went somewhere else and got it a few days later.

9 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

lowes + lowes install + coupon 

This.  Replaced our downstairs carpet a few months back.  Originally looked at lower grade carpet that did not include installation.  I then checked out a high grade stainmaster carpet that did include installation and wound up with way better carpet for just a little more money.

Edit:. As OB2 mentioned, go with upgrade padding.  Well worth the money and you won't regret it.

Edited by SHOOTER12