Boise State @ Texas Series Thread

Horny Bull

Yeah, I’m afraid we are looking at the same type team as last year...maybe slightly improved. Starting pitching will be our “strength”, offense will struggle to manufacture runs and the bullpen....well, you’ve seen what I’ve seen.  

6 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

Yeah, I’m afraid we are looking at the same type team as last year...maybe slightly improved. Starting pitching will be our “strength”, offense will struggle to manufacture runs and the bullpen....well, you’ve seen what I’ve seen.  

Well, as long as we don't have E machines at the plate and at middle part of our infield it will be an improvement...

1 hour ago, petscii said:

Well, as long as we don't have E machines at the plate and at middle part of our infield it will be an improvement...

Which is why I found EZ$'s take pretty weak. What defined last year's team was being fundamentally unsound at Catcher and in the middle infield, along with a bullpen that hit batters and threw wild pitches. It was not the things he listed, which are true of every team for the past decade. 

How did we give up the lead tonight? We gave up hits. Imagine that? Having a bullpen so great that the other team actually has to swing the bat to get runs? After last year that was refreshing.

So no, this team is not the same kind of team as last years. At least not yet. Let me know when we throw multiple wild pitches and walk the bases loaded, then I will be convinced EZ$ is correct. I question he actually suffered through last year with that take.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Like 2

Walking out of the Thursday night game in Palo Alto I was happy.   People act like sweeping LSU was no big deal.  It's hard to sweep teams period.  We split Arky on the road.  Won the first conference series vs Tech.  After that was largely unacceptable. 6 more conference wins and people are talking about last year much differently.   

4 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Which is why I found EZ$'s take pretty weak. What defined last year's team was being fundamentally unsound at Catcher and in the middle infield, along with a bullpen that hit batters and threw wild pitches. It was not the things he listed, which are true of every team for the past decade. 

How did we give up the lead tonight? We gave up hits. Imagine that? Having a bullpen so great that the other team actually has to swing the bat to get runs? After last year that was refreshing.

So no, this team is not the same kind of team as last years. At least not yet. Let me know when we throw multiple wild pitches and walk the bases loaded, then I will be convinced EZ$ is correct. I question he actually suffered through last year with that take.

Yeah, I’d imagine last years shitty infield play and having a not so reliable catcher in McCann fucked with our pitchers confidence some last year. 

Our starting pitching seems like it’ll be a strength. Now, less Fields and Diaz and more Duplantier, Hansen and Merryman, please. 

@ClubWhatever pretty sure Whelan had TJ surgery and is redshirting this year. I’d love to have him back on the team next year. Guy seems like the ideal Tuesday starter 

Edited by Fletch

Standing ovations from the home crowd notwithstanding, Cobb needs to pitch on Tuesdays.  We need someone who can go 6 on Sundays against good teams, not barely 5 against JUCO/Boise State.  So who would go on Sunday? Kubicek? Hansen? Try one out against Mizzou and Cobb can take on AZ next Tuesday.

14 hours ago, petscii said:

Walking out of the Thursday night game in Palo Alto I was happy.   People act like sweeping LSU was no big deal.  It's hard to sweep teams period.  We split Arky on the road.  Won the first conference series vs Tech.  After that was largely unacceptable. 6 more conference wins and people are talking about last year much differently.   

I mean I loved doing those things but we all noticed the big problems and I was just hoping somehow they would be solved while we were still winning. But obviously it just got worse.

This year the team is fundamentally sound and a decent baseball team...so far. I am excited to see if we can go 9-0 and how we do against the top 10 teams in the tournament.

Edited by Valmy77

15 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I mean I loved doing those things but we all noticed the big problems and I was just hoping somehow they would be solved while we were still winning. But obviously it just got worse.

This year the team is fundamentally sound and a decent baseball team...so far. I am excited to see if we can go 9-0 and how we do against the top 10 teams in the tournament.

Plus ... the benefit of two former MLers coaching and mentoring our young talent.  When they speak, even a knucklehead would listen. 

• 4 months later...