espn finally give a shit :: 1980 @ 40 :: sunday 23rd 1pm

Hagbard Celine

22 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Bizarre they show it the day after the 40th anniversary. Better late than never. I was 7 and it made me a life-long hockey fan. Crazy that I know THE sports moment of my lifetime occurred when I was 7 and it will never be topped.

Maybe a tribute to the tape delayed original airing. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

That game was broadcast “tape delay” around midnight. We hosted a “blackout party” .. with plenty of food and drink, but no radio or TV until game time.

Agree that it was one of the great sports events of a lifetime.  Certainly, a “remember where you were” moment ..

Yeah, I was pretty sure it was only "tape delayed" for a few hours. IIRC, there were some American TV sportscasts that knew the result and warned people to change the channel if they didn't want to know the result before watching later. (That might be on HBO's wonderful documentary, which I will watch this weekend).

6 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Yeah, I was pretty sure it was only "tape delayed" for a few hours. IIRC, there were some American TV sportscasts that knew the result and warned people to change the channel if they didn't want to know the result before watching later. (That might be on HBO's wonderful documentary, which I will watch this weekend).

Yes, the game was played earlier that evening. We took no chances learning the result accidentally.  We had a box full of cassettes for our partying pleasure ... 🥳

I grew up out in the sticks in West Texas and our TV reception OTA a was shit until my Dad rolled up one day with one of the gigantic, old school satellites and we suddenly went from 3 snowy-ass channels to 300 completely free, crystal-clear (for 1980 channels). This was like a month before the Olympics.

The USSR game was played live at 4PM Central but tape-delayed in the US over the air; however, Canadian TV aired it live. Had like 70 people jammed into my parents living room and the game was so tense nobody noticed me and my delinquent 13 year old friends grabbing beer out of the fridge to watch in my room. I had never seen a hockey game in my life one week prior and was crying like a baby at the end.

• Like 3

Bizarre they show it the day after the 40th anniversary. Better late than never. I was 7 and it made me a life-long hockey fan. Crazy that I know THE sports moment of my lifetime occurred when I was 7 and it will never be topped.

Same here except I was 10.
  • Like 1

I grew up out in the sticks in West Texas and our TV reception OTA a was shit until my Dad rolled up one day with one of the gigantic, old school satellites and we suddenly went from 3 snowy-ass channels to 300 completely free, crystal-clear (for 1980 channels). This was like a month before the Olympics.
The USSR game was played live at 4PM Central but tape-delayed in the US over the air; however, Canadian TV aired it live. Had like 70 people jammed into my parents living room and the game was so tense nobody noticed me and my delinquent 13 year old friends grabbing beer out of the fridge to watch in my room. I had never seen a hockey game in my life one week prior and was crying like a baby at the end.
I did not know those giant sats were free viewing. Interesting.

7 hours ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

That game was broadcast “tape delay” around midnight. We hosted a “blackout party” .. with plenty of food and drink, but no radio or TV until game time.

Agree that it was one of the great sports events of a lifetime.  Certainly, a “remember where you were” moment ..

I was doing an internship in Chicago, a group was going out to watch the game. Everyone had turned off the radios, and yet one guy shows up right before the pick drops and says he's excited to watch Team USA win.

Fuck, we were all pissed. That guy want invited to watch the gold medal game with us, even though I believe that one was life broadcast.

4 minutes ago, ss13 said:

Hagbard is posting about a one-hour Jeremy Schaap interview special on ABC. Who knows if he even realizes it’s not the game. It’s titled SportsCenter Special on the DTV guide. 

Gotcha. It is odd that ABC/ESPN are not showing the actual game broadcast. I watched Miracle this afternoon on NHL Network. In some commercial breaks, Bob Costas interviewed Al Michaels about the game. Heard some of the clips on the Musers on Friday. It was pretty cool. I hadn't watched Miracle in quite some time -- forgot that they didn't even film a scene for the Finland game and Herb Brooks' infamous quip during the second intermission with them behind 2-1. "If you lose this game you'll take it to your fucking graves!" I had it in my mind the quote had been Disney-fied and changed to "freaking graves" or something.

Also, I did not realize the format wasn't a straight knock-out tournament in the medal round and that the game against FInland wasn't a true "Gold Medal Game." You played each team from the other division and then the points earned were used to determine gold, silver and bronze. You carried forward your result with the other team from your division so the Americans and Swedes had one point from their tie and the Soviets started with two points because they beat Finland. The Russians would've won gold if Finland had beaten the Americans. We would've fallen to bronze.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, markstanco said:
14 hours ago, Ignatius said:

I did not know those giant sats were free viewing. Interesting.

It didn’t last a real long time; my freshman year at UT was 1985, and by the end of my first semester they had started scrambling/charging for movie channels.  Within a couple of years after pretty much everything worth a shit was on a pay basis.

11 hours ago, C-Man said:

Gotcha. It is odd that ABC/ESPN are not showing the actual game broadcast. I watched Miracle this afternoon on NHL Network. In some commercial breaks, Bob Costas interviewed Al Michaels about the game. Heard some of the clips on the Musers on Friday. It was pretty cool. I hadn't watched Miracle in quite some time -- forgot that they didn't even film a scene for the Finland game and Herb Brooks' infamous quip during the second intermission with them behind 2-1. "If you lose this game you'll take it to your fucking graves!" I had it in my mind the quote had been Disney-fied and changed to "freaking graves" or something.

Also, I did not realize the format wasn't a straight knock-out tournament in the medal round and that the game against FInland wasn't a true "Gold Medal Game." You played each team from the other division and then the points earned were used to determine gold, silver and bronze. You carried forward your result with the other team from your division so the Americans and Swedes had one point from their tie and the Soviets started with two points because they beat Finland. The Russians would've won gold if Finland had beaten the Americans. We would've fallen to bronze.

Depending on goal difference, even with a draw against Finland, we could have not even medaled at all.  I remember watching it live.  We played the first period like we did against West Germany.  The idea that we might not even medal much less not win Gold was a serious possibility in the 2nd period against the Finns.

On 2/22/2020 at 10:32 AM, C-Man said:

I was 9.  It still inspires me.

hey schaap - the reason they have never seen the game in it's entirety and don't own their own copy of the game in it's entirety is because your fucking employer has the tapes in the vault and has never made them available.  which is even more egregious considering you missed the tying goal of the Finland game nationwide and the the go-ahead gold-winning goal in the central and mountain time zones because you were showing freaking commercials.  we just saw 3 seconds of footage of each of the group round games in crystal 4x3 which proves you fuckers are sitting on the footage of the greatest achievement in US sports history.

fuck you disney.  i want the entire ABC broadcast of each game, the one on the tapes with no breakaways for commercials.  and all of the studio interviews, previews, post-games.  the whole fucking thing.

• Like 1

I remember the Finland game was at 10am Sunday.  My overly zealous Southern Baptist father made me go to church, because "It's only hockey."   I pitched a fit but he didn't give in.  We got back and I ran in and turned on the TV to find us down 2-1.  I told my dad that if we lost, I was never speaking to him again.  

• Like 3

12 hours ago, ss13 said:

ESPN is showing Miracle from 5:30-8 Sunday night, ESPN2 has their 2015 30 for 30 at 9p. 

You know how every little kid likes to watch the same movie over and over?  Usually it's something like Frozen or Land Before Time.  My daughter's was Miracle.  I have seen that movie at least 20 times because she always wanted to watch it.  When she was 5, she could quote the name and number of every player on the 1980 team.

I think the movies are an abortion and completely unnecessary.  All 3 of them.  The original broadcasts are the story.  I lived it in realtime.  I've seen each of the movies.  The movies skip dozens of critical data points.

Now, there are multiple books of which 2 are good and one is spectacular.

yes - they covered it
IF YOU LOOSE THIS GAME, YOU WILL TAKE IT TO YOUR FUCKING GRAVES.
stops, turns back...
YOUR FUCKING GRAVES.
drop mic, kill thread, best intermission speech in sports history now, then, forever.
Herb Brooks
August 5, 1937 – August 11, 2003

Yeah. That’s the way I’ve always heard it. Think it’s possibly on the HBO documentary. I’m going to watch that later after the Stars game.

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

Yeah. That’s the way I’ve always heard it. Think it’s possibly on the HBO documentary. I’m going to watch that later after the Stars game.

Yeah that sequence is from Eruzione in the HBO documentary.

Anyone remember the TV movie with Karl Malden as Brooks that came out a few months after the game?

3 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

I think the movies are an abortion and completely unnecessary.  All 3 of them.  The original broadcasts are the story.  I lived it in realtime.  I've seen each of the movies.  The movies skip dozens of critical data points.

Now, there are multiple books of which 2 are good and one is spectacular.

Miracle is a terrific movie.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

Depending on goal difference, even with a draw against Finland, we could have not even medaled at all.  I remember watching it live.  We played the first period like we did against West Germany.  The idea that we might not even medal much less not win Gold was a serious possibility in the 2nd period against the Finns.

I don't think that's the case. If the US-Finland tied the Finns would've finished with 2 points in the medal round and the US would've had 3, giving us at least the bronze in that scenario. The Swedes got smoked by the Russians 9-2 so that result would've left us with the silver. Thank God we potted three in the third to clinch the gold, though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TrashMaster G said:

Miracle is a terrific movie.

I'm watching now.  Amount of the Czech game they recreated: Zero.  They gave the Sweden game about 90 seconds.  Romania, 1 crunch, 1 goal.  Norway, 1 save, 1 goal.  That's the first 4 games of the tournament covered in less than 3 minutes in a movie with a runtime of 136 minutes.  West Germany, 1 crunch, 1 goal, 40 seconds.

Next, a scene of Herb Brooks's wife getting him coffee while kids are skating around.  He got a telegram from "a lady in Texas that said "beat those commie bastards"".   This one scene is as long as the entire bandwidth given to group play.

I stand by my assessment: disneytainment packaging, not fit for purpose.

20 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

I went and looked and you're right.  I will go back and transcribe what Michaels said during the call of the Finland game.

what's bizarre is that the wiki is wrong, you are right, and the wiki was citing sports illustrated:

https://www.si.com/vault/1980/03/03/824423/the-golden-goal-the-us-went-bonkers-when-mike-eruziones-shot-beat-vladimir-myshkin-for-the-winning-goal-as-americas-team-stunned-the-once-invincible-soviets-en-route-to-the-olympic-title

""Great as it was, there was still a little matter of the gold medal to take care of. Going into Sunday's game against Finland, it was possible for any of the four medal-round teams—the U.S., Finland, Sweden, the U.S.S.R.—to win the gold. Despite its astonishing string of upsets and its 5-0-1 record, the U.S. wasn't even assured of a bronze. But America's Team had come too far to lose.""

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracle_on_Ice#Olympic_group_play

""The United States did not win the gold medal by defeating the USSR. In 1980, the medal round was a round-robin, not a single elimination format as it is today. Under Olympic rules at the time, the group game with Sweden was counted along with the medal round games versus the Soviet Union and Finland, so it was mathematically possible for the United States to finish anywhere from first to fourth.[43]""