Gary Vee- motivational speaker for millennials

Goo Punch

Guest Lobo

Isn't the whole point of telling people, "I don't care what other people think of me" is so that they'll think you're one of those carefree individuals that doesn't care what others think about them?  Just by thinking it, you're already contradicting it.  So yeah, maybe you are someone who doesn't care about my opinion of you, but you're also a hypocrite which is the #1 negative opinion another person can have about you when polled by people who care.  This guy reminds me of one of the guards in Dr. Klahn's mountain fortress jail.  

On 4/5/2020 at 3:56 PM, ztejas said:

I worked in this industry for about 2 years. From everything I've heard and gathered Gary is a huge douchebag and a pain in the dick to work with. And if anyone is curious, I beleive his 45-60 minute keynote fee is/was around $150k.

I met dozens of speakers - some of them the typical motivational "guru" - some of them the business strategy/synergy type - some of them actually really cool motherfuckers (astronauts, comedians/entertainers, musicians that crossed over).

Most of them are perfectly likeable people. Some of them are fucking nuts or just overly douchey and naive. Basically all of them (save the actual badasses like astronauts) think they are much smarter than they actually are. 

At the end of the day it's just marketing and self branding. If you can do that well you can sell books and get paid to appear - it really doesn't matter what you have to say.

100%. Being in sales I have sat through plenty of motivational speakers from company dinners, rewards banquets, production trips, etc. Each is a little different some I would be rolling my eyes within a couple of minutes and others were down to earth and had outstanding messages. 

Gary isn't really much different but I do believe his hustle is real. I was on Cuban's short lived messaging app Dust for a while and Gary reached out to me completely out of the blue one day and just started asking me questions about what I did, how it worked, etc. That doesn't seem like that big of a deal but it did show me his talk of hustle isn't full of shit like plenty others out there. Plus his back story is pretty interesting and came here with pretty much nothing and now obviously is damn successful no matter how annoying. 

Back to speakers- Hands down one of the best- great message, stories, super nice guy and just an overall pleasure to listen to was former Longhorn swimmer Josh Davis.  

His takes are solid and I listen/watch him sometimes but something about his delivery was bothering me. I finally decided it was the over-cursing. It made me seriously evaluate the amount of cursing I do and whether or not people found me as annoying as I found him to be. Not sure that was the message he was trying to get me to absorb but that's what happened. But what if that was his plan all along?

mindblown.gif

• 2 years later...