Texas vs. Kay-State - CBS (wtf?) at 1:00pm

Pancho

32 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Kansas State is truly putrid. 

I turned on the game when it was ~50-30 and 15-ish minutes left, and yet this game should be in single digits at this point, but Kansas State can’t hit layups, free throws, or open shots. 

We seem to be playing “better”, but K-State is fucking AWFUL!! If Shaka saves his job because of this, I’m going to be furious!

This is about maintaining some dignity before the guillotine drops.

Well, as much as I think this Shaka-coached team can fuck up a cup of coffee, we look good enough to beat 13-14 OSU at home to close out the regular season.  Depending on how a couple of teams shake out immediately ahead/behind us, that's the 6 or 7 seed in Big XII Tourney.  A 7 pairs us with KSU who we'd beat again and then lose to KAN/BAY as the 2-seed, a 6 pairs us with WVU or TTU who beats us.  Either way, we're gonna remain above .500 for this season.  It's either 18-15 or 17-15.  And that's the NIT, probably good enough to host the first game or two.  So the Erwin Center may be done with Shaka, but Shaka ain't done with the Erwin Center.  

Onward...through the Fog

1 hour ago, Dr. Beeper said:

It’s plausible, though not likely, we finish 3-1 and have the 4 seed for the tourney. 

Like the positive vibe...  the most likely best result for the last 4 games of the Horns is 1-3

DATE OPPONENT TIME TV  
Mon, Feb 24 6:00 PM
espn-U@2x.png

Sat, Feb 29 11:00 AM    
Tue, Mar 3 8:00 PM    
Sat, Mar 7 3:00 PM  

Edited by LTtxfan

14 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

No question. But WVU is schizo and OU is not really that good. Both beatable. 

Interesting that West Va lost in Fort Worth today 67-60 in OT.   Monday game in Austin, guess they're staying at a hotel in Texas this weekend.  

That 97-59 beatdown in Morgantown for Horns is still hard to believe...

Our conference wins and their kenpom rankings:

Okie State- 63

Iowa State- 81

TCU x2- 87

K State x2- 101

we are not about to go 3-1 to end this season. 3-1 would be 10x as surprising as 0-4. we are such a poor offensive team, and were about to play two of the best defenses in America back to back (not to minion that OU and OSU are good defensive teams themselves). unless we go absolutely unconscious from deep, we're losing 3 of the next 4. 

Edited by Goo Punch

I think two wins from now until our exit from the conference tourney (not saying we can’t pick up a win there) is absolutely the most realistic.  That’s NIT worthy.  And that’s probably good enough to even host the first game in Austin.  

Last year, we knew we were NIT for sure.  It was just a question of a 1 or 2 seed.  This year, it’s pins and needles to see if it’s CBI or NIT; and if so one more game in the Erwin center?  That’s what $5mm/year gets you nowadays at Texas.  

Edited by Lobo

1 hour ago, orangecat92 said:

I am thinking win 1 and lose 3, then lose opener of conference tourney.  That should put us out of NIT, down the level of CBI, where we get the uncomfortable position, question do w pay 50,000 to extend our season, lose money on more home games, and delay our coaching search?

Texas is currently 16-11, and 6-8 (B12).  Unless Texas loses the next 5 games, the NIT will offer the Horns an invite...

11 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Not on the road. OU will be tough on the road too. I’ll start paying more attention to this if we get past WVU tomorrow. Which we can. 

Like your optimism...  

Problem is West Virginia will have been stewing in a hotel in Texas for 2 days after that OT loss in Fort Worth.  With the game on ESPN Monday Night National TV, Texas depth problems, and the Horns proclivity to commit a high number of turnovers under pressure, means that a loss for Longhorns against the Mountaineers is highly likely. 

My prediction is that West Virginia will win in ATX Monday night by at least 15pts.

21 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Maybe. I fear we’ll have to stay hot from deep. Our D is salty again now that we have a few games under our belt without Sims. I believe the Big 12 has a lot of highly ranked team Ds because this conference just isn’t that good, particularly offensively. I don’t even think we are really top heavy. Nothing KU or BU does overwhelms. Both are good but pedestrian teams. Playing Tech, WVU, OU, Texas or even each other won’t really help them in late March. 

Well looks like I was WRONG!!

61-51 Texas leads West Virginia , with 2 minutes left...

WOW

Edited by LTtxfan

On 2/23/2020 at 3:16 PM, Goo Punch said:

Our conference wins and their kenpom rankings:

Okie State- 63

Iowa State- 81

TCU x2- 87

K State x2- 101

we are not about to go 3-1 to end this season. 3-1 would be 10x as surprising as 0-4. we are such a poor offensive team, and were about to play two of the best defenses in America back to back (not to minion that OU and OSU are good defensive teams themselves). unless we go absolutely unconscious from deep, we're losing 3 of the next 4. 

Wrong. But I bet you’re okay with it. 

On 2/23/2020 at 2:10 PM, Dr. Beeper said:

While not hard to believe (WVU blowout), I doubt it repeats itself. I don’t like Shaka and want him gone, but he his teams have a tendency to hang with anyone.  And WVU is an awful road team. Since Sims’ departure, he’s shored you interior D (minus Baker who’s terrible at it). If Coleman, AJ and Ramey can continue to play at a decent level, 2-2 or even 3-1 can be done. Smart money says 1-3 or 2-2. 

You might be too conservative. 4-0 is possible. 3-1 likely. 

16 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

well, we have indeed gone unconscious from deep. shooting 46% from three over our last 4 games. 

That’s true. On the Fire Shaka thread I just said it wouldn’t totally surprise me if we shit the bed the next 3 games because our last three wins have featured great individual play from either Ramey or AJ, including great shooting, and that can disappear any minute. 

On 2/23/2020 at 2:10 PM, Dr. Beeper said:

While not hard to believe (WVU blowout), I doubt it repeats itself. I don’t like Shaka and want him gone, but he his teams have a tendency to hang with anyone.  And WVU is an awful road team. Since Sims’ departure, he’s shored you interior D (minus Baker who’s terrible at it). If Coleman, AJ and Ramey can continue to play at a decent level, 2-2 or even 3-1 can be done. Smart money says 1-3 or 2-2. 

Damn Dr. Beeper, NICE JOB on this post!!

I was wrong on this FO SHO!!! 

Texas Already 2-0 for the last 4 Regular Season B12 games left -- with still 2 games left to Play!!  🤘  

giphy.gif