dumbfuck flat-earth dipshit dies in rocket crash

Gil Bang

Wow, Patterson Hood of Drive-By Truckers must be physic.  From a song on their new album named, appropriately enough, Thoughts and Prayers:

The Flat Earthist realized as he flew through the skies
The curve of the horizon as he fell
He saw the world was round, just before he hit the ground
And gravity called out to close the deal

The teeniest bit of math would have told them he wouldn't make it 64 miles up, much less 6.4 miles up. he didn't even make it a mile up. What the fuck were these people thinking?

You’re probably right. But I’d imagine deploying a drag chute at takeoff plays a pretty big role in how high you’re gonna make it
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Flat earth theory had nothing to do with his death. Round/flat/square/whatever earth, when your rocket malfunctions on the way up you’re probably going to have a hard time surviving when it comes down. I assume the parachute deployment f-d him and at that point it was all over but the ride. The ending was set.

59 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

See—this right here is a major problem in America. The notion that people’s “beliefs” are equally valid is killing us.

It’s not about what the guy believed. Scientific facts and math aren’t a matter of “belief.” He rejected them. And now he’s dead as a result.

So, yeah—he was a dumb motherfucker. And his death is really quite funny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You’re a sick fuck. 

Steam powered rocket?! I mean any kind of homemade rocket seems like a bad idea but powered by steam seems destined to fail. Poor guy musta been shoveling coal like a MFer right up to the end.

That must be like those toy rockets kids used to have that you fill with water and pump full of air. I can’t imagine the pressure you’d need to build to think your gonna get 60 some miles up.

• Haha 1

In the documentary I saw about him, he has a successful (relative) launch and touchdown. That steam rocket is basically a water heater. They crank the heat up the night before, then by launch time it's built up enough pressure. As you pointed out, it's only powered on whatever energy of steam is stored at takeoff. He knew that thing would never get as high as he claimed.

I don't think this guy cared two shits about the flat earth movement. He just used it as a vehicle for self promotion and funding his hobby.

2 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

See—this right here is a major problem in America. The notion that people’s “beliefs” are equally valid is killing us.

It’s not about what the guy believed. Scientific facts and math aren’t a matter of “belief.” He rejected them. And now he’s dead as a result.

So, yeah—he was a dumb motherfucker. And his death is really quite funny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually this post is exactly what is wrong with America. you read a title and an article and think you know enough to comment.  The poster above already explained that Mike embraced flat-earth in order to secure funding for his hobby, which he successfully pulled of several times before.  He built a rocket and launched himself several times and survived, he was hardly a dumbass.  But he was a risk taker, in the spirit of Evil Kineval though the audience appeal of such acts have since waned, hence the funding and support for teams of people to assist him was not possible.   He was simply a dare-devil who died doing what he loved and was sponsored by dumbass flat earthers. 

12 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Actually this post is exactly what is wrong with America. you read a title and an article and think you know enough to comment.  The poster above already explained that Mike embraced flat-earth in order to secure funding for his hobby, which he successfully pulled of several times before.  He built a rocket and launched himself several times and survived, he was hardly a dumbass.  But he was a risk taker, in the spirit of Evil Kineval though the audience appeal of such acts have since waned, hence the funding and support for teams of people to assist him was not possible.   He was simply a dare-devil who died doing what he loved and was sponsored by dumbass flat earthers. 

No, he was a dumbass.  Emphasis on "was."

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ten Bears said:

Wow, Patterson Hood of Drive-By Truckers must be physic.  From a song on their new album named, appropriately enough, Thoughts and Prayers:

The Flat Earthist realized as he flew through the skies
The curve of the horizon as he fell
He saw the world was round, just before he hit the ground
And gravity called out to close the deal

So physic. 

3 hours ago, Lhorn said:

Steam powered rocket?! I mean any kind of homemade rocket seems like a bad idea but powered by steam seems destined to fail. Poor guy musta been shoveling coal like a MFer right up to the end.

That must be like those toy rockets kids used to have that you fill with water and pump full of air. I can’t imagine the pressure you’d need to build to think your gonna get 60 some miles up.

He would have survived if it had been a nerf rocket.

25 minutes ago, HornsOverIthaca said:

Depressing comment:

Most of us will die in more painful, awful ways.

My doctor told me, after being diagnosed with sleep apnea, that I was 50% more likely to die in my sleep, if it wasn't corrected.,

Why would I fix that?

So, I got that going for me.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Thujone said:

The teeniest bit of math would have told them he wouldn't make it 64 miles up, much less 6.4 miles up. he didn't even make it a mile up. What the fuck were these people thinking?

I wonder if he shut it down when things went pear shaped not realizing that his chute deployment at liftoff was part of the problem. 

Of course, anyone willing to bilk the flat earthers into funding their junior space man kicks may not have given a s**t that his steam powered thrust available was wildly short if that required to meet the mission. 

tenor.gif?itemid=14788684

Call off the launch!

Boom!

Fuck, too late. Another dead idiot.

I guess they didn't get the memo that rockets are dangerous. I'm surprised it didn't fail on the ground and scald the gawking witnesses to death. The rocket crashed about the distance away from the launch I would have chosen. Not all deaths are tragic.

3 hours ago, Nivek said:

So the nobility is that he was a grifter, too?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1