Legit kitchen appliances & accessories

52-80

7 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Might try one.  I use cast iron all the time, except for recipes with tomatoes.  Enameled cast iron works great there, though.  I'm just sick of seeing my idiot family take steel spatulas, forks, etc. to decent non-stick pans, so I pretty much just want to get them all out of the house (the pans, not the family, most days).  If the carbon steel pans are tough enough to take hard utensils but still season up to be reasonably non-stick, then good.

That brings up the question . . . can they handle an omelet?

This guy makes some bad jokes but he seems to know about carbon steel pans.  After seasoning a new pan, you see the first omelet start at 3:30.

If your family likes to mistreat pans, it would seem the worst scenario is that you would have to strip off the seasoning and start over. Still I recommend keeping this to yourself and not let them touch it.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

If your family likes to mistreat pans, it would seem the worst scenario is that you would have to strip off the seasoning and start over. Still I recommend keeping this to yourself and not let them touch it.

I already have a small stash of good olive oil, etc.  I caught my kid making popcorn with about $2 worth of my best oil one night.

• Like 1

I use an 8.5" C/S pan pretty much exclusively for omelets.  Works great.  But you still have to add oil/butter to get the nonstick feature, even when well seasoned.

Best omelette pan ever is the solid aluminum omelette pan from Pot Shop of Boston.  My mother has a couple of them, and they're amazing.  Unfortunately, I can't use them on my induction cooktop without one of those adapter plates.

https://www.potshopofboston.com/collections/omelette/products/8-1-2-high-polished-omelette-pan

Edited by dcbc

19 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Might try one.  I use cast iron all the time, except for recipes with tomatoes.  Enameled cast iron works great there, though.  I'm just sick of seeing my idiot family take steel spatulas, forks, etc. to decent non-stick pans, so I pretty much just want to get them all out of the house (the pans, not the family, most days).  If the carbon steel pans are tough enough to take hard utensils but still season up to be reasonably non-stick, then good.

That brings up the question . . . can they handle an omelet?

Yup, all of the above. And then your kid makes SpagghetiOs in it. Then it’s back to the seasoning video. It’s a pain in the ass . I season the things on my grill now, saves on the smoked out kitchen , barking dogs and smoke alarms going off. I really like the idea but it’s kind of like an unwanted hobby keeping them in the game.

5 hours ago, JimmyRussels said:

Yup, all of the above. And then your kid makes SpagghetiOs in it. Then it’s back to the seasoning video. It’s a pain in the ass . I season the things on my grill now, saves on the smoked out kitchen , barking dogs and smoke alarms going off. I really like the idea but it’s kind of like an unwanted hobby keeping them in the game.

When I bought mine, I told the wife and kids that carbon steel and cast iron were off limits (this is after I caught the then 13 year old using a butcher knife to cut Brussels sprouts in the cast iron pan.  We have a good set of stainless and a nonstick they can use.  But the cool pans are dad's. 

I do most of the cooking.  So the kitchen is mostly my domain.

On 3/10/2020 at 9:12 AM, Gene Parmesan said:

I'm intrigued by the toaster ovens.  I've never been around them, but it seems to make a lot of sense for kids foods or cooking smaller batches.  How fast do they heat up?

I love mine. Breville. Takes maybe 90 seconds to heat up?  2 minutes?  I use mine for everything from toast to reverse searing steaks to roasting a whole chicken.   

54 minutes ago, pops said:

I love mine. Breville. Takes maybe 90 seconds to heat up?  2 minutes?  I use mine for everything from toast to reverse searing steaks to roasting a whole chicken.   

we just got one (Smart Oven Air) - anything else specifically i should do in it/try in it? you airfry?

Edited by NoName

5 minutes ago, NoName said:

i know that

you know that

but if i said "how is the super convection mode" it may confuse people

so i asked about airfrying.

just wanted to make sure other people out there dont go buy both a mini oven AND a dedicated air fryer thinking the latter is necessary

19 hours ago, NoName said:

we just got one (Smart Oven Air) - anything else specifically i should do in it/try in it? you airfry?

I didn't get the air fryer version so I'm no help.  But anything you would put in an oven I use it for. 

17 hours ago, 52-80 said:

just wanted to make sure other people out there dont go buy both a mini oven AND a dedicated air fryer thinking the latter is necessary

i mean, not every single stovetop oven has the ability to "airfry" just look at the Breville products

Edited by NoName

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/10/2020 at 3:28 PM, 52-80 said:

electric kettle

we use it every single damn day.  if not for tea, then to pre-boil water for pasta and such.  it saves like 2 minutes  - 3m total instead of 5m, but it feels like an eternity saved

i have a practically brand new electric kettle i'll let for $20 in houston 

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

Is that a convection oven too?

presumably thats what the Air part of it means

typically these things have a fan in them for convection - easy to circulate within small volume

3 minutes ago, Okie State said:

I hate them and would love to get rid of it.

Back in another life, I worked in the family office business.  Basically, I helped very wealthy (think $100mm plus) people manage their money, their airplanes, houses, construction, etc.  One of those families built an 18,000 sf house with all these high end appliances.  The problem was, the wife didn't cook.  Appliances were 100% for show.  So what did she do?  She had not one, but two microwaves built into the wall like ovens so she could reheat the food their chef made for them quicker.  It looked tacky as shit.

Back in another life, I worked in the family office business.  Basically, I helped very wealthy (think $100mm plus) people manage their money, their airplanes, houses, construction, etc.  One of those families built an 18,000 sf house with all these high end appliances.  The problem was, the wife didn't cook.  Appliances were 100% for show.  So what did she do?  She had not one, but two microwaves built into the wall like ovens so she could reheat the food their chef made for them quicker.  It looked tacky as shit.

Nice. I use ours to heat up leftovers sometimes, but it always turns out shitty. Soup is fine I guess. Or popcorn. 

Our house had one of those over the range models when we moved in. We upgraded all the appliances and I bought a new one to put in its place. Installed it and surprise...it still looked like shit. Ended up removing it and installing a proper hood vent. We're currently using a cheap small microwave on the counter hidden back by the fridge so it's not as noticeable. I'd prefer it to be gone completely though so when it breaks I'm not sure we'll replace it.

47 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

30 minutes ago, Okie State said:

Nice. I use ours to heat up leftovers sometimes, but it always turns out shitty. Soup is fine I guess. Or popcorn. 

Our house had one of those over the range models when we moved in. We upgraded all the appliances and I bought a new one to put in its place. Installed it and surprise...it still looked like shit. Ended up removing it and installing a proper hood vent. We're currently using a cheap small microwave on the counter hidden back by the fridge so it's not as noticeable. I'd prefer it to be gone completely though so when it breaks I'm not sure we'll replace it.

Knew a girl whose mom was in a wheel chair after an airplane crash.  They had a pair of built in microwaves. 

We've got an oven/microwave in wall combo that I'd like to replace with a double oven if/when it ever goes kaput.  Figured I'd replace the vent hood with one of those combo microwave vent fan dealios, but now I'm worried some of my Okie inlaws twice removed wouldn't approve. ;)

But in all seriousness, I don't have the counter space to give up for a cheap table top model if we ever go that route.

Knew a girl whose mom was in a wheel chair after an airplane crash.  They had a pair of built in microwaves. 
We've got an oven/microwave in wall combo that I'd like to replace with a double oven if/when it ever goes kaput.  Figured I'd replace the vent hood with one of those combo microwave vent fan dealios, but now I'm worried some of my Okie inlaws twice removed wouldn't approve. ;)
But in all seriousness, I don't have the counter space to give up for a cheap table top model if we ever go that route.
Hey lots of people have them. I just personally think they look like shit. They also seem really low over the range and don't seem like they'd give you sufficient ventilation for a gas stove. We have the counter space though.

59 minutes ago, Okie State said:
1 hour ago, dcbc said:

Hey lots of people have them. I just personally think they look like shit. They also seem really low over the range and don't seem like they'd give you sufficient ventilation for a gas stove. We have the counter space though.

My mom's got one over her gas cooktop, but it's pretty high up.  I have an induction cooktop.  So a vent hood mostly is for show and an extra light in my case.  But I just measured it, and assuming the height on the microwave is about 12--13", it only leaves me 18" to the cooktop and, I agree with you that that would look like ass. 

Edit.  Found a Whirlpool that is only 10"--11" in height, but I still think it would look off.

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, dcbc said:

i cant separate my wife from the microwave.  she learned it from her mom.

MIL is stay at home, but inexplicably don't time cooking hours to meal hours.  All the cooking is done at 5.  Every dinner is served reheated.  So my wife grew up with the idea that microwaves are like desert-island essentials.

I prefer to get rid of ours and reheat dry stuff in the oven and wet stuff on a stovetop, but....

giphy.gif

• Like 1

MIL is stay at home, but inexplicably don't time cooking hours to meal hours.  All the cooking is done at 5.  Every dinner is served reheated.  So my wife grew up with the idea that microwaves are like desert-island essentials.

I prefer to get rid of ours and reheat dry stuff in the oven and wet stuff on a stovetop, but....
giphy.gif

What the fuck?

31 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
3 hours ago, 52-80 said:

What the fuck?

dont get me started.

when MIL finishes cooking, everything gets moved to the pantry until it is re-heated for serving as described before.

because of this, my wife doesnt believe in putting warm foods immediately in the fridge.  if we have leftover, it has to "cool down" on the countertop before being put away.

apparently, 2020 refrigeration technology cannot handle a bowl of warm soup.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 52-80 said:

giphy.gif

I'm in the "they have their place" and I will have one on hand but prefer other reheat methods.

• 4 weeks later...

Recently got this Matfer Bourgeat carbon steel paella pan. In addition to paella, it quickly became my go pan for roasting, pan frying, etc. Can easily use it on the grill or inside on the gas range. Much lighter than cast iron but otherwise cooks very similarly.

https://www.acemart.com/kitchen/cookware/paella-pans/matfer-bourgeat-62051-14-black-steel-paella-pan/MTF062051

• Like 1

18 hours ago, 52-80 said:

also, a fish spatula is superior to any other sort of spatula.  you only need one in the kitchen

i have 2 but that i  just because i lost one when i moved the found it after my new one came in.

they are fantastic

On 4/10/2020 at 8:08 PM, Chewbacca said:

Anyone have a rec for a commercial vacuum sealer? I've used food saver and been left wanting. Looking for something that doesn't care if liquid is in the bag to seal. Would like to keep it under 1k, but want something I'll never have to buy again.

Yes, I'm quoting myself.  To follow up on this, I found the MaxVac Pro from Costco for $599 and that includes 80 bags.  Regular price is $999.  It's a big fucking beast, but seems to do everything I want.  Now I need to find a cart to put it on.  Wife is not happy that I'm wanting to keep this in the kitchen but it's so big I would never use it if I had to go get it to seal up leftovers.  I think it weighs close to 100#.

I previously mentioned how much we like our de Buyer Mineral B fry pan, but we also use a de Buyer Mineral B crêpe pan for heating up tortillas, making quesadillas, pancakes etc. Never tried to make an actual crêpe.

I think I'm going to clear out all our Calphalon pots and pans and add one more de Buyer and a few more All Clad stainless and be done. Should last a lifetime.