Legit kitchen appliances & accessories

52-80

13 hours ago, MirrOlure said:

Indoors or outdoors (and I was a skeptic) this is the best and most effective gadget I’ve been given....like, ever:

832ce4369656ff719400614e680a51ff.jpg

they are selling these at my local ACE hardware btw (if folks need an in person fathers day gift and Amazon is taking too long)

• 2 months later...
On 4/5/2020 at 9:13 AM, harold said:

I picked up a preseasoned lodge carbon steel frying pan based on this thread and could not be happier.  It is the best $35 I have ever spent in my kitchen.

The lodge was 14” and I wanted something smaller so I just picked up a Matfer Bourgeat.  The quality is light years ahead of the lodge.  The lodge has a bowed cooking surface and a less than smooth seasoning.  The Matfter came unseasoned.  The surface is much smoother and much higher quality.  The lodge is fine but I wish I would have spent more for the large pan now.

• Hook 'Em 1

I can't say enough good things about this ice cream scoop.  I can't imagine this thing not lasting 20 years.  It's sturdy as fuck and goes right through ice cream out of the deep freeze like butter

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002XOB0P0/ref=ppx_yo_mob_b_inactive_ship_o0_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

31yGiyleS0L._AC_SY400_.jpg

I put lemon in my tea everyday.  This thing just crushes lemons and catches the seeds.  It's awesome.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002XOB0P0/ref=ppx_yo_mob_b_inactive_ship_o0_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1#

31q3olZQxdL._AC_SY400_.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

The original slim Microplane was the killer gadget...but now we're using the wider Professional line grater and it is much more useful.  Also comes in variety of grating sizes.

Now I'm also considering getting their slicer and julienne.  My mandolin setup with replaceable slicers is just too bulky and fidgety to use.

How much would the parts/install cost for a Viking hood? No chimney. I need something strong enough to cook steaks on the stove and not smoke out the house. 
We got a Best hood a couple years ago. I think it ran around 3-4k installed. It's this one. Cost as much as the cooktop.

http://www.bestrangehoods.com/cattura

dont get me started.
when MIL finishes cooking, everything gets moved to the pantry until it is re-heated for serving as described before.
because of this, my wife doesnt believe in putting warm foods immediately in the fridge.  if we have leftover, it has to "cool down" on the countertop before being put away.

apparently, 2020 refrigeration technology cannot handle a bowl of warm soup.

You're not supposed to put warm stuff in your fridge.

Quartz countertops.

We waited forever to redo our kitchen. We are heavy users, cooking multiple meals per day.

It’s been two years now....this stuff is indescribable, requires no sealing or maintenance and when wiped clean every night, it looks as brand new as it did on day one. Red wine, roasted beats, dragon fruit, yellow mustard, red cherries.... nothing stains it. And you can cut limes, lemons, whatever, directly on it.

No other countertop surface can compare

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I'm leaning toward quartz when I do my kitchen.  What kind do you have?

I was in the countertop business for 18 years.  All counters have pros and cons.  Quartz is good as long as its a name brand (Cambria, Silestone, etc).  The marked is flooded with cheap Chinese quartz that I have seen have all kind of issues.  Personally, I was a fan of fabricating it because to was easy too work with for the most part, but I would not put it in my house because I don't like the way it looks compared to natural stone. 

Pros:  Never have to seal it, scratch resistant, color consistency is pretty good.  Cons:  You can not put heat directly on top (including crock pots, electric skillets, hot pans -- it will crack--seen it many times) and you can not do sharp inside corners (it will crack).  

PM if you need more info, have any questions you want honest answers or a recommendation for a fabricator, I still have a ton of contracts,

Good Luck

• Like 2

We are in the market for a new main refrigerator. Our good friend contractor is strongly recommending KitchenAid. Any other brands to consider? We want the standard French door, over/under style (current is a side-by-side, which kind of sucks). Anybody have experience with LG fridges?

I have a KitchenAid counter depth french door and mostly like it. It's really just a rebadged and slightly nicer Whirlpool. It makes a noise periodically that I assume is the defrost cycle, but I haven't had it checked out. Everything works, just kind of annoying. It has an internal water dispenser and ice maker which I really like. The door ones always seem to break.

Our previous fridge was a Whirlpool that still worked fine when we sold it. Garage fridge is a Whirlpool, but only a few months old.

39 minutes ago, Okie State said:

I have a KitchenAid counter depth french door and mostly like it. It's really just a rebadged and slightly nicer Whirlpool. It makes a noise periodically that I assume is the defrost cycle, but I haven't had it checked out. Everything works, just kind of annoying. It has an internal water dispenser and ice maker which I really like. The door ones always seem to break.

Our previous fridge was a Whirlpool that still worked fine when we sold it. Garage fridge is a Whirlpool, but only a few months old.

We have a three or so year old one and while it works fine the build quality is shit. 

We have a three or so year old one and while it works fine the build quality is shit. 

KitchenAid or Whirlpool? Build quality seems comparable on my KitchenAid to any of the other common brands in that price range. The Whirlpool is a $500 one for the garage. They're pretty much all the same from what I can tell until you get into the high-end brands.

I'll probably look at a Sub-Zero or similar for my next house and plan on keeping it for the long haul.

3 minutes ago, Okie State said:

KitchenAid or Whirlpool? Build quality seems comparable on my KitchenAid to any of the other common brands in that price range. The Whirlpool is a $500 one for the garage. They're pretty much all the same from what I can tell until you get into the high-end brands.

I'll probably look at a Sub-Zero or similar for my next house and plan on keeping it for the long haul.

KA. Wobbly handles that need to be constantly tightened, the thinnest stainless steel shell possible, etc. 

KA. Wobbly handles that need to be constantly tightened, the thinnest stainless steel shell possible, etc. 

I wouldn't describe mine as having those problems. The plastic door bins could be a little sturdier, but still not bad. KA is a mid-tier brand so it has some better features, nicer finishes, and a nicer overall look while still being somewhat affordable. To get the heavy duty build quality and look I think you have to get into the top tier Sub-Zero/Miele/True etc. range and you're paying 3-4X more.

1 minute ago, Okie State said:

I wouldn't describe mine as having those problems. The plastic door bins could be a little sturdier, but still not bad. KA is a mid-tier brand so it has some better features, nicer finishes, and a nicer overall look while still being somewhat affordable. To get the heavy duty build quality and look I think you have to get into the top tier Sub-Zero/Miele/True etc. range and you're paying 3-4X more.

Yeah, I agree.  But I compare to my in laws KA, which was basically same grade in the line but built 2008 vs 2017 and the quality level is substantially different. 

Yeah, I agree.  But I compare to my in laws KA, which was basically same grade in the line but built 2008 vs 2017 and the quality level is substantially different. 
That doesn't surprise me. Everything is being made cheaper and cheaper to keep those profit margins up. Very difficult to find anything that isn't impacted by cost cutting these days.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 9/8/2020 at 7:56 PM, MirrOlure said:

Quartz countertops.

We waited forever to redo our kitchen. We are heavy users, cooking multiple meals per day.

It’s been two years now....this stuff is indescribable, requires no sealing or maintenance and when wiped clean every night, it looks as brand new as it did on day one. Red wine, roasted beats, dragon fruit, yellow mustard, red cherries.... nothing stains it. And you can cut limes, lemons, whatever, directly on it.

No other countertop surface can compare

very intense

21 hours ago, C-Man said:

We are in the market for a new main refrigerator. Our good friend contractor is strongly recommending KitchenAid. Any other brands to consider? We want the standard French door, over/under style (current is a side-by-side, which kind of sucks). Anybody have experience with LG fridges?

My french door KitchenAid lasted about 12 years, with little issues until the last month or two.  Good mid priced fridge.  No major complaints and I would recommend.  I replaced with a Bosch counter depth for few reasons.  First, I like that the water dispenser is on the inside.  Just makes for a sleeker look.   I also like that It makes smaller ice cubes, not quite sonic ice, but about half of the standard size ice. From the research I did, it has two compressors, one for the fridge and one for the freezer, where most in the market have one compressor to share.  Having a separate refrigerated drawer has been more useful then I thought it would be. It is on the upper price scale in the mid range category, but nowhere near subzero and viking.  If Bosch is in your budget, take a hard look, I definitely would recommend over KitchenAid

That's interesting that the Bosch has the dual compressors. That's something that Sub-Zero is famous for and seems to be spreading to others recently. When I bought my KA there was an equivalent JennAir and Bosch that all looked exactly the same and I think all three were actually made by Whirlpool at the time. I believe Bosch has taken over manufacturing since then though.

On 5/5/2020 at 8:25 AM, Armybrat said:

Is that a convection oven too?

On 5/5/2020 at 6:07 PM, Johnny Sack said:

Yes and it is awesome.  We rarely use our regular oven now since buying the Breville.  We use the Breville every single day.

what's your fav/best recipe and use for that thing? i just got one

2 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I was firmly in the "like the water/ice dispenser on the outside" camp but I don't know why. I'm now intrigued by having it inside based on these posts.

Because you can get a glass of ice water without opening the door(s).  That has always been my logic.  Having experienced the inside water at several people’s homes, I was surprised that it doesn’t bother me at all, and it does give a cleaner look.  I will give them a look the next time I am in the market for a fridge.

I'm considering going with a standalone ice maker for our next kitchen renovation. Not sure if I'd go for a built-in under counter unit or more of a commercial model for the garage or utility room. Seems like ice makers are always breaking and I'm the only one in the house who ever uses ice. Probably overkill either way, but that's how I roll.

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

Yeah, cleaner look and one less thing for the kids to break. 

My thought was the kids would open it up to get water and then not completely shut it afterward -- they're kind of clueless that way.

57 minutes ago, Okie State said:

I'm considering going with a standalone ice maker for our next kitchen renovation. Not sure if I'd go for a built-in under counter unit or more of a commercial model for the garage or utility room. Seems like ice makers are always breaking and I'm the only one in the house who ever uses ice. Probably overkill either way, but that's how I roll.

Our ice-maker hasn't worked since we bought the house nearly four years ago. I've been buying bagged ice the entire time -- I'm the only resident who regularly uses ice. The standalone ice maker idea has merit! We have a 2.5-car garage so we have room out there.

Our ice-maker hasn't worked since we bought the house nearly four years ago. I've been buying bagged ice the entire time -- I'm the only resident who regularly uses ice. The standalone ice maker idea has merit! We have a 2.5-car garage so we have room out there.
Yeah they can get pricey, but I like the idea of having it separate so it can be repaired or replaced without messing with the main fridge. A friend had a commercial grade model that made the nugget ice and loved it.

If I went that direction I'd probably do a full-sized fridge only in the house and have a deep freeze in the garage.

Y'all have been consistently mentioning Breville as THE toaster to get, however I am finding myself increasingly interested in the "5... yes FIVE IN ONE!!!" infomercials.

I don't recall the exact brand / name, but their tractor beam seems to have been working on me quite well.

Has anyone bought the TV versions of a T.O.?

Should I simply spend the $ 200 for a Breville & get it over with?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

On 9/14/2020 at 2:26 PM, riloh05 said:

any of you assholes have one of these- la cornue range? pros/cons...i will hang up and listen.

pros - they are sexy as fuck

cons - they are expensive as fuck

I never bought one, but I did a lot of research on them when I bought my last appliance package which was in January.  The reason we ultimately didn't go for it is that we were concerned it was a little too specific for resale...like it actually might hinder people from buying if they didn't like that look.  Also, I didn't love that they make nothing else besides ranges, because I like my appliances to at least somewhat match.  If I were to have gone with that look, I decided I would go with a Viking Tuscany series after a fair amount of research.  They also make a dishwasher and you can get the refrigerator hardware to match so it all ties together.  Plus I like Italian better than French.

This is one sexy ass Viking kitchen...

9RHytI.png

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

pros - they are sexy as fuck

cons - they are expensive as fuck

I never bought one, but I did a lot of research on them when I bought my last appliance package which was in January.  The reason we ultimately didn't go for it is that we were concerned it was a little too specific for resale...like it actually might hinder people from buying if they didn't like that look.  Also, I didn't love that they make nothing else besides ranges, because I like my appliances to at least somewhat match.  If I were to have gone with that look, I decided I would go with a Viking Tuscany series after a fair amount of research.  They also make a dishwasher and you can get the refrigerator hardware to match so it all ties together.  Plus I like Italian better than French.

This is one sexy ass Viking kitchen...

9RHytI.png

I get that...but that is also a very specific kitchen lol. we are doing panel ready for fridge/freezer/wine column.

6 minutes ago, riloh05 said:

I get that...but that is also a very specific kitchen lol. we are doing panel ready for fridge/freezer/wine column.

Yeah, I just posted that pic because it was a good looking kitchen.  I wouldn't do it in my home.

Point was, I like the Viking Tuscany overall better than the La Cornue.  But I guess if you're doing cabinet panel on every other appliance, it wouldn't really matter.