Legit kitchen appliances & accessories

52-80

1 hour ago, Okie State said:

Are these any good? Our pepper mill sucks and it's pissing me off.06d2300b525d2c87cf6878d570c9f9ca.jpg

Idk that one but the pepper cannon or unicorn magnum are pretty often recommended. Unicorn currently isn't really avaliable but will be in Jan probably and cannon is just so expensive.

• Like 1

Actual juicer or badass blender that can liquify? If the latter then go vitamix and be done with it for at least ten yrs (mine is a refurb going on ten yrs now with zero issue on almost daily use)

True juicing is so wasteful. And the result is basically water and sugar. Get a VitaMix which is a useful multitask tool and it makes far healthier juice as it processes the peel and pulp and you keep all the nutrients. We’ve had our VitaMix over 20 years. It’s like a fucking Evinrude on your counter.

19 hours ago, Okie State said:

Are these any good? Our pepper mill sucks and it's pissing me off.06d2300b525d2c87cf6878d570c9f9ca.jpg

Unicorn or bust. 

I used to buy a shit load of peppermills. Because i like the different designs. Because they make decent gifts. Because i wasnt happy with the ones at home. 

Turns out they all suck. Bought a unicorn magnum and never had to buy another again. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Will it grind a specific amount (1 tsp, etc.) or do you just have to guess and measure afterwards?

Theres no preset quantity. It also makes quite a mess at the chute so they give you a little tray/stand thing. 

Reason its nice is because of the large aperture to load fresh peppercorns in, and they use a giant burr so one twist gives you a buttload of grind. 

Thermapen >>>>Meater. 

BIL trying to cook steaks with his new Meater and thing is pure failure. Connects. Disconnects etc.  Guess he is doing it wrong, but no instructions included so who knows  

Trusty thermapen works every damn time. Fucking blue tooth. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Thermapen >>>>Meater. 

BIL trying to cook steaks with his new Meater and thing is pure failure. Connects. Disconnects etc.  Guess he is doing it wrong, but no instructions included so who knows  

Trusty thermapen works every damn time. Fucking blue tooth. 

So I've only used this once (I just got it for Christmas) and used it on the xmas Turkey.   Fantastic.     It's one of those "Why didn't I think of this?!"  https://combustion.inc/products/predictive-thermometer-and-display

tl/dr it has 8 temp sensors in the probe so you can be sure of the core temp ...  Very very accurate as I confirmed with my Thermopen, which will probably just live in the drawer now.

Frame_46.jpg?v=1667767020&width=1500

• Hook 'Em 3

21 hours ago, locodos said:

So I've only used this once (I just got it for Christmas) and used it on the xmas Turkey.   Fantastic.     It's one of those "Why didn't I think of this?!"  https://combustion.inc/products/predictive-thermometer-and-display

tl/dr it has 8 temp sensors in the probe so you can be sure of the core temp ...  Very very accurate as I confirmed with my Thermopen, which will probably just live in the drawer now.

ayyy i just got this

Chris Young is the driving force behind it (co-founder of ChefSteps, one of the patent holders for the Joule, co writer of Modernist Cuisine, worked with Heston Blumenthal at Fat Duck for 5 years in experimental kitchen)

his YT Is excellent https://www.youtube.com/@ChrisYoungCooks/videos

i used the product yesterday and it worked perfectly. really cool concept that's getting ripped off by other companies. scuttlebutt is they have the patent on the 8 temp readings vs some of the other companies that are only doing 6

On 12/26/2023 at 10:21 AM, locodos said:

Looks great but says only rated to 572F ambient. Seems low for grill/steaks in say a green egg. 

11 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Looks great but says only rated to 572F ambient. Seems low for grill/steaks in say a green egg. 

I agree it could be a limiting factor, but not for me.  Sous vide steaks to a perfect consistent internal temp and then just sear the outside or finish them quickly on a ripping hot grill.  No need to temp steaks at all.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/8/2023 at 7:08 PM, Okie State said:

Aforementioned drawer knife block. Williams Sonoma in walnut. Wüsthof Classic knives. Holds fifteen. I have six steak, one paring, small and large utility, santoku, bread , two cheese, one tomato, one chef.

I made drawer organizers and they're great. You can find similar online. Highly recommended.

We also have these pan dividers above our wall oven and they're handy.

A spice drawer is nice too. Ours doesn't have the fancy labels on the bottles yet.

I'd buy a few AllClad D3 stainless pans and call it a day. We also have some Staub enameled cast iron and DeBuyer carbon steel. We own zero non-stick and don't miss it at all.344f1e7a826c315e22d2865572103139.jpgf6bb448dbf58bb1c1d5e462039db665a.jpg
d92baa396fd55819030a58add638f878.jpg54181d97338bbcd25b5040ee6857ee78.jpg

great rec on the drawer block, it's perfect

started with Shun 8in Western chef's knife and Shun 5 1/2 Nakiri

• Like 1

On 12/28/2023 at 7:46 AM, locodos said:

I agree it could be a limiting factor, but not for me.  Sous vide steaks to a perfect consistent internal temp and then just sear the outside or finish them quickly on a ripping hot grill.  No need to temp steaks at all.  

saw the Meater v2 says up to 1000F ambient temp and they have a pic of one in a deep fryer but no explanation if it is safe to cook in oil - seems unlikely 

On 12/27/2023 at 8:19 PM, ChickenSandwich said:

Everything is not all it seems

half of the reason i bought this thing is because the team is sharing this kind of information

• Hook 'Em 2

On 12/17/2023 at 12:05 PM, Zepol87 said:

Gf wants a juicer but has limited counter space any decent recs for a compactish one?? What she spends at the damn juice place a month we could have a pretty badass one 

100% what @bluto and others have said about the Vitamix. https://www.vitamix.com/us/en_us/recipes?refineby=SMOOTHIES

• Hook 'Em 1

I had this gift cert to Saks and because im not into $600 summer scarves and jumbo balenciaga sneakers, the nearest thing i could redeem was this Zwilling x Bob Kramer Meiji chefs knife. 

The idea of this knife is already preposterous because its got a Japanese aesthetics, but in a Western shape, and Damascus originates from Middle East, and Bob Kramer (American) doesnt even produce it, he merely licensed his name to the Zwilling-Henckels (German) group. 

Anyway, after Saks delayed shipping by 2 months, it arrived and feels light and flimsy as if it was a stamped knife.  Rippppped offff

IMG_4567.jpeg

• Rage+1 1

I had this gift cert to Saks and because im not into $600 summer scarves and jumbo balenciaga sneakers, the nearest thing i could redeem was this Zwilling x Bob Kramer Meiji chefs knife. 
The idea of this knife is already preposterous because its got a Japanese aesthetics, but in a Western shape, and Damascus originates from Middle East, and Bob Kramer (American) doesnt even produce it, he merely licensed his name to the Zwilling-Henckels (German) group. 
Anyway, after Saks delayed shipping by 2 months, it arrived and feels light and flimsy as if it was a stamped knife.  Rippppped offff

IMG_4567.jpeg.5b04eb8591d70213dc439523c8887133.jpeg

Return it. Get $600 worth of Drakar Noir.
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

IMG_4567.jpeg

just mail it to me, i'll cover shipping and recycle it for you

13 hours ago, 52-80 said:

IMG_4567.jpeg

Return it and get a couple Miyabi. Higher end Miyabi may not be a great value but is good product.

Sucks because Kramer's early collabs were genuinely well made craft knives, many still hold higher resale today. This was just a money grab.

20 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

Return it and get a couple Miyabi. Higher end Miyabi may not be a great value but is good product.

Sucks because Kramer's early collabs were genuinely well made craft knives, many still hold higher resale today. This was just a money grab.

I read the little pamphlet in the box and turns out the “pakka wood” handle is….plastic 💀

In their words, ‘a composite material with the appeal of wood and durability of resin’ or some such nonsense

• Rage+1 1

Im now convinced the meiji is actually made by miyabi. Same D shaped handle.  same blade material. Same material brandnaming. Same sharpening angle. 

also found my way into some knife forums and those guys go deep, deep, deep into the rabbithole. Anyway, sorry for the digression.  

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, 52-80 said:

also found my way into some knife forums and those guys go deep, deep, deep into the rabbithole. Anyway, sorry for the digression.  

oh man, no kidding there. it's a DEEP rabbithole.

• 3 weeks later...

A lady on nextdoor is selling a Caraway 6.5 qt Dutch oven new in box for 70 bucks. Looks like $180 new. I've never used or felt I needed to use a Dutch oven but I'm going to go for it. I'm loving the new kitchen and having fun cooking on the new range so why not. 

I love my Le Crusset dutch oven. 
Yep. Use it at least once a week.
A lady on nextdoor is selling a Caraway 6.5 qt Dutch oven new in box for 70 bucks. Looks like $180 new. I've never used or felt I needed to use a Dutch oven but I'm going to go for it. I'm loving the new kitchen and having fun cooking on the new range so why not. 
Do you have a kitchen yet?

8 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

That looks like a still from a Stanley Kubrick film. 

2s5e7e3okph31.jpg

We got a dozen jugs of black molasses.  We got sixty boxes of dried milk, thirty twelve-pound bags of sugar.  Now we got dried peaches, dried apricots, dried raisins and dried prunes.

How'd you like some ice cream, Doc?

Edited by dcbc

Just now, TPCJ007 said:

Anyone have a recommendation for a sous vide immersion circulator?  

wirecutter likes the Monoprice one that is $60 but has no app - which is fine, i haven't used my anova app in forever - at least 5+ years? if you can get into it for $60 that's a great deal. just grab a cambro to throw it in and go from there.

if you want to spend more then Joule is the gold standard in this category but is way more expensive. they have a new one out (Joule Turbo) that's more powerful. the Joule app is awesome, and is the exception in this category.

my brother got one of the anova kits from Sams or Costco that comes with a container, cover (helps on longer cooks) and rack to keep everything under the water - which is nice. no clue how much he paid for it but look around.

https://www.target.com/p/anova-precision-cooker-nano-3-0-and-container-sous-vide-starter-bundle/-/A-88098722?AFID=google&CPNG=Appliances&adgroup=72-10

GUEST_1b7d5ddf-4c98-41b7-b9b3-4d2b37aa2d

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, NoName said:

wirecutter likes the Monoprice one that is $60 but has no app - which is fine, i haven't used my anova app in forever - at least 5+ years? if you can get into it for $60 that's a great deal. just grab a cambro to throw it in and go from there.

if you want to spend more then Joule is the gold standard in this category but is way more expensive. they have a new one out (Joule Turbo) that's more powerful. the Joule app is awesome, and is the exception in this category.

my brother got one of the anova kits from Sams or Costco that comes with a container, cover (helps on longer cooks) and rack to keep everything under the water - which is nice. no clue how much he paid for it but look around.

https://www.target.com/p/anova-precision-cooker-nano-3-0-and-container-sous-vide-starter-bundle/-/A-88098722?AFID=google&CPNG=Appliances&adgroup=72-10

GUEST_1b7d5ddf-4c98-41b7-b9b3-4d2b37aa2d

Good rundown here.  The cheap ones seem to have doubled in price since I got mine about six years ago.  I've using it for occasional steaks and, more often, to reheat smoked packer briskets and other BBQ smoked in advance and vacuum sealed for family gatherings.  I bought a cheap plastic container, cut out the corner of the lid to accommodate the sous vide wand, and it has worked flawlessly.  I'm sure the more expensive models bring something to the party, but I haven't wanted for anything with the one I've got.  

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

Buy the cheapest one you find unless you specifically want smart app functions. They're all roughly the same. I actually avoid the super fancy app ones now and prefer KISS with simple temp setting on the device, plug and go.

The other thing is I prefer the stick circulators you place in a pot, vs the enclosure models that are their own container (look like a large rice cooker). The circulators you can swap containers to fit your food and can be used and transported easily.

If you get serious, modify one of the flat ice chests to be your insulated bath.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Also be aware that Joule Turbo up there is not actually more powerful, it just uses programming to run the heater slightly more when you first add food, trying to prevent the water temp drop from the cold food. It's large a marketing gimmick.

All of the sous vide devices are limited by household wall current to 1500w output max.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

Also be aware that Joule Turbo up there is not actually more powerful, it just uses programming to run the heater slightly more when you first add food, trying to prevent the water temp drop from the cold food. It's large a marketing gimmick.

All of the sous vide devices are limited by household wall current to 1500w output max.

Boosting the temp in initial phase is a pretty useful idea because it shortens the cooking time — one of the things that turns me off from sous vide. 

Joule was a product of Chris Young, and that thermal concept is similar to what he applied to his Combustion thermometer.  Used it on a thick porkchop today. Having multiple probes allows me to jack up the oven at the beginning for a headstart, but once the near surface temps reaches doneness, I can reduce the temp to minimize temp gradient across the food.