Legit kitchen appliances & accessories

52-80

In the market for a new food processor.  Looked at the ATK reviews and they still like the 14-cup Cuisinart, despite the re-model.  I have read some good and bad reviews of it (bottom blade as been raised) which makes me cautious at $250.  ATK's recommendations are usually no-brainers, but not so sure on this one.

Any rec's or experiences with your machines or other types?

2 hours ago, Texas St. Armadillos said:

In the market for a new food processor.  Looked at the ATK reviews and they still like the 14-cup Cuisinart, despite the re-model.  I have read some good and bad reviews of it (bottom blade as been raised) which makes me cautious at $250.  ATK's recommendations are usually no-brainers, but not so sure on this one.

never had or needed the full size cuisinart... or any other full-capacity processor.  but i have the mini cuisnart and its a must-buy

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

never had or needed the full size cuisinart... or any other full-capacity processor.  but i have the mini cuisnart and its a must-buy

Thanks.  Looking at a video, the 8-cup seems plenty big enough for my needs.  I have a mini processor that attaches to my stick blender, and that works well for us for small things.

https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-FP-8SV-Elemental-Processor-Silver/dp/B00LBZOYAK?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1

I have a full size Kitchenaid that I never use because it is a pain in the ass to assemble/clean, etc. My mini cuisinart stays on the countertop. Use that damn thing all the time.

10 minutes ago, tigol said:

I have a full size Kitchenaid that I never use because it is a pain in the ass to assemble/clean, etc. My mini cuisinart stays on the countertop. Use that damn thing all the time.

its just perfect sized for easy handling.  if you need more capacity, you just batch it.  astonished they sell the motherfucker for only 30 bux

On 9/1/2021 at 12:33 PM, Texas St. Armadillos said:

I think ATK is way overrated. I followed their advice when buying a rice cooker and regretted that decision. My main complaint is that the lid doesn’t fully detach so it makes it harder to clean. I’ll use it in a pinch if I’ve got a lot of things cooking but I’ve mainly gone back to making rice in my small Le Creuset pot which works just fine. They also recommended On The Border brand tortilla chips and I tried those and was unimpressed.

I can’t recommend a food processor but I think Cuisinart can be kind of hit and miss. I had to replace my blender and bought a Cuisinart only to discover that the blade portion doesn’t disassemble so that makes it harder to clean. I also bought one of their immersion blenders and found it had a childproof safety button on top so you have to press two buttons at a time in order to make it work. I never would’ve even thought to check for such a feature. I’d go a different direction on both of those purchases in the future. 

19 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Really need some recs for toaster oven/air fryer combos and your fave at-home espresso machine. 

We have a Breville Smart Oven Air and can't recommend it enough. Use it more than anything else in our kitchen (literally, we got it because Kenji counted how often he used what he has and this was #1 for him - this is what sold me on it and we have had the same result.) it's fantastic.

here is what wirecutter says: https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/the-best-toaster-oven

if you don't need the air frying, you can buy the regular Breville Smart Oven which is what they recommend. If you poke around you can find a deal on them sometimes, set a slickdeals alert

re: espresso we just have a nespresso which hits that sweet spot between ease of use and quality of result for me. i know people who have both the lower end and higher end Breville espresso makers but your best bet is to ask over here:

Edited by NoName
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I think ATK is way overrated. I followed their advice when buying a rice cooker and regretted that decision.

sometimes ATK is alright but you gotta know when to keep it simple.  rice cookers are one of the easiest kitchen items to buy.  it's hard to find a bad rice cooker.  the most basic ones for < $20 work just fine.  if it makes bad rice it's user error.

5 minutes ago, NoName said:

We have a Breville Smart Oven Air and can't recommend it enough. 

This x1000. Honestly in my next kitchen I am seriously considering a stand alone range top and a couple of breville smart ovens.   It is the most versatile and most used appliance in my kitchen and it isn't close. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, pops said:

This x1000. Honestly in my next kitchen I am seriously considering a stand alone range top and a couple of breville smart ovens.   It is the most versatile and most used appliance in my kitchen and it isn't close. 

right? my wife was on the fence about it but seriously we use it *ALL* the time. big enough to cook full pizzas or like a 12? lb turkey

36 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

sometimes ATK is alright but you gotta know when to keep it simple.  rice cookers are one of the easiest kitchen items to buy.  it's hard to find a bad rice cooker.  the most basic ones for < $20 work just fine.  if it makes bad rice it's user error.

I never wanted a bread cooker. My sister tried to talk me into buying one but I refused. I know how to bake bread. I really didn’t think I needed a rice cooker. This thing cost me just over $20 so I figured wtf? It’s not a big deal. But I would recommend to anyone that they should make sure they buy any cooking device that they choose one that disassembles in order to make it easier to clean after use.

13 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I never wanted a bread cooker. My sister tried to talk me into buying one but I refused. I know how to bake bread. I really didn’t think I needed a rice cooker. This thing cost me just over $20 so I figured wtf? It’s not a big deal. But I would recommend to anyone that they should make sure they buy any cooking device that they choose one that disassembles in order to make it easier to clean after use.

ease of cleaning is huge.  been fighting that battle with a countertop ice maker.  trying to find one that's easy to clean is a challenge.  

6 hours ago, Js1 said:

Really need some recs for toaster oven/air fryer combos and your fave at-home espresso machine. 

6 hours ago, NoName said:

We have a Breville Smart Oven Air and can't recommend it enough. Use it more than anything else in our kitchen (literally, we got it because Kenji counted how often he used what he has and this was #1 for him - this is what sold me on it and we have had the same result.) it's fantastic.

here is what wirecutter says: https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/the-best-toaster-oven

if you don't need the air frying, you can buy the regular Breville Smart Oven which is what they recommend. If you poke around you can find a deal on them sometimes, set a slickdeals alert

This.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Js1 said:

We have a Breville Barista Touch and it has been great.  It makes 4-5 lattes per day, every day  for the last 2-3 years (family loves coffee).  It makes a great coffee drink (whichever one you want), and it's very easy to use.

• Hook 'Em 1

On the espresso maker front, I've had a Gaggia Brera for eight years and counting.  The grinder went out under warranty, was repaired, and I haven't had any other issues with it since then.  But I'd recommend a medium roast in any super automatic machine.  It's been an absolute workhorse.  I'm sure there are more expensive machines that probably can do it better, but for $400--$500, it's a solid machine that just keeps on keeping on.

Edited by dcbc

11 minutes ago, tigol said:

This deal isn't bad if you don't have any cast iron.  Pre-seasoned.

https://sellout.woot.com/offers/cuisinel-3-piece-cast-iron-skillet-set-1?ref=mwj_cd_deal_5

we have this, got the one they were selling at costco a couple years ago.  it is awesome.  fits a 12" pizza.  we use it probably every other day for everything from reheating leftovers in the convection oven to air frying frozen french fries or air frying frozen wontons (with no oil at all) to roasting chicken or roasting bacon.  it is so handy.  almost like how a salamander's used in a restaurant.

2 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

we have this, got the one they were selling at costco a couple years ago.  it is awesome.  fits a 12" pizza.  we use it probably every other day for everything from reheating leftovers in the convection oven to air frying frozen french fries or air frying frozen wontons (with no oil at all) to roasting chicken or roasting bacon.  it is so handy.  almost like how a salamander's used in a restaurant.

https://home.woot.com/offers/cuisinart-toa-60-air-fryer-toaster-oven-2?ref=mwj_cd_deal_6

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/8/2021 at 6:46 PM, gsoda3 said:

au contraire.  on the low end use a Tiger.  on the pricey end use Zojirushi.  It is easy to buy a bad rice cooker ( = anything not those 2).  there is a difference

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/8/2021 at 7:40 PM, tigol said:

Can't vouch for it, but the reviews look good and if you're looking to spend under $100 in the next 4 hours:

https://home.woot.com/offers/cuisinart-toa-60-air-fryer-toaster-oven-2?ref=mwj_cd_deal_6

I've never had an issue with Cuisinart appliances.

We have this model at home, and we use it all the time. It's not life changing or anything, but we cook frozen pizzas in there and tons of stuff. 

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

au contraire.  on the low end use a Tiger.  on the pricey end use Zojirushi.  It is easy to buy a bad rice cooker ( = anything not those 2).  there is a difference

are you using your rice cookers for more than cooking rice?  

2 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

are you using your rice cookers for more than cooking rice?  

95% used for jasmine rice.  end result has better consistency, fluffier texture, more fragrant.  it also keeps for 48 hours or longer if you cook a humungous batch or something, whereas the other devices keeps for 12hr to 24hr before it dries out.

i know because i bought 2 mid-priced "smart/fuzzy logic" machines from sanyo and something else and they both sucked.  every other azn person i know endorse Zoji or bust

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, 52-80 said:

95% used for jasmine rice.  end result has better consistency, fluffier texture, more fragrant.  it also keeps for 48 hours or longer if you cook a humungous batch or something, whereas the other devices keeps for 12hr to 24hr before it dries out.

i know because i bought 2 mid-priced "smart/fuzzy logic" machines from sanyo and something else and they both sucked.  every other azn person i know endorse Zoji or bust

Any comparison to insta pot?  Because that makes the best rice I've made ever. 

9 hours ago, 52-80 said:

every other azn person i know endorse Zoji or bust

Yes, Zojirushi or bust. It is for rice and rice only (different rices are ok, brown, bean, sweet potato congee, sticky, etc).

Have a Tatung steamer for all other "steam" type items (dim sum, fish, dumplings, everything else).

Insta-Pot should be able to get similar results to a rice cooker, both are a lightly pressurized cook.

And start with a good rice! Highly recommend the Heirloom Kokuho Rose. It's somewhat seasonal at local Asian markets, this Amazon price feels way high:

https://www.amazon.com/Koda-Farms-Kokuho-Heirloom-Japanese/dp/B009KSK4L8

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, pops said:

Any comparison to insta pot?  Because that makes the best rice I've made ever. 

yes ive done this out of curiosity.  the instapot cooks it just okay... but importantly doesnt keep warm as well as the zoji can.  if you use it for rice frequently (more than once a week), its much easier to clean the sleeve and lid liner of the zoji than the clunky pressure cooker lid

• Like 1

Any recs on a food saver?  My Recteq is coming in this week so I will be cooking on it a lot over the next several weeks.  There are only 3 of us, so I will likely have a lot of leftover smoked meats to freeze.  I see them from $50-$200.  Is there any reason that a $100 dollar food saver wouldn't be just as good as the ones listed at $200?  Is it really worth the extra $$?

2 hours ago, Hate said:

Any recs on a food saver?  My Recteq is coming in this week so I will be cooking on it a lot over the next several weeks.  There are only 3 of us, so I will likely have a lot of leftover smoked meats to freeze.  I see them from $50-$200.  Is there any reason that a $100 dollar food saver wouldn't be just as good as the ones listed at $200?  Is it really worth the extra $$?

I have a foodsaver that I picked up from Costco a couple years ago.  Works great.  They have one right now for $99 after a manufacturer's $50 instant rebate.

https://www.costco.com/foodsaver-multi-use-vacuum-sealing-and-food-preservation-system.product.100648022.html

Edited by Jerry Callo
  • Hook 'Em 1

Anyone have experience with Aga's Mercury line for a 48" range?  We bought a 1930 Tudor revival that still has most of the period charm intact and are going to remodel the kitchen. The Mercury line seems to thread the needle on a retro mixed with modern look.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Anyone have experience with Aga's Mercury line for a 48" range?  We bought a 1930 Tudor revival that still has most of the period charm intact and are going to remodel the kitchen. The Mercury line seems to thread the needle on a retro mixed with modern look.

No, but I would suggest looking at an induction cook top.  Once you get the hang of it, it beats gas.  I know....I didn't think it could, but the rapid adjustments are amazing.  Offers more flexibility in the kitchen as opposed to a range.  I had a Kitchenaid induction range with a double oven (one convection), but that is below your price point.  Avoid Bertazzoni.  I tried to cook on a big 48" and it was a pain to start the burners and the best thing I can say about it is it kept my loved ones warm during snowmaggedon.  

No, but I would suggest looking at an induction cook top.  Once you get the hang of it, it beats gas.  I know....I didn't think it could, but the rapid adjustments are amazing.  Offers more flexibility in the kitchen as opposed to a range.  I had a Kitchenaid induction range with a double oven (one convection), but that is below your price point.  Avoid Bertazzoni.  I tried to cook on a big 48" and it was a pain to start the burners and the best thing I can say about it is it kept my loved ones warm during snowmaggedon.  

Induction is one of the reasons I’m looking at Mercury as they have that option.

I was all in on induction, for sustainability/efficiency until snowmageddon left the metroplex without electricity. Now I’m wavering.

I know to avoid Italian style over substance engineering on something like this.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I've swung back the other way, used induction the last 2 kitchens, now I'm back to the old tried and true big gas range. Gas is still better for fine control (analog valve vs digital steps) and for serious stir fry work (surface area being heated).

One curiosity item for induction users - do your ranges run at low setting continuously, or do they duty cycle on and off to hold a "low" setting? This was a huge annoyance on my first cheap induction cooker, it could not run continuous low; to simulate a "low" setting it had to cycle a higher power on and off. Made delicate cooks impossible, as it'd overheat the food every time it cycled on.

2 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

I've swung back the other way, used induction the last 2 kitchens, now I'm back to the old tried and true big gas range. Gas is still better for fine control (analog valve vs digital steps) and for serious stir fry work (surface area being heated).

One curiosity item for induction users - do your ranges run at low setting continuously, or do they duty cycle on and off to hold a "low" setting? This was a huge annoyance on my first cheap induction cooker, it could not run continuous low; to simulate a "low" setting it had to cycle a higher power on and off. Made delicate cooks impossible, as it'd overheat the food every time it cycled on.

i have a portable induction and it would pulse the power for low.  i could tell (or , deduce) from the sound.  the home range doesnt need to do that and could legitimately power low. 

that said, i still prefer gas. 

now i have a portable propane stove to do gas-type work

6 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

I'm pretty sure my induction cooktop does not cycle on low settings.  And, as mentioned above, precise control and temp changes have been a no-brainer.  My back burner has a melt setting for chocolate that, the couple of times I've used it, has been set and forget (as much as you can when you're melting chocolate.

Sil-pats have kept it scratch free over the last two years.  It's a 36" GE Profile 5 burner setup.

The one thing I miss about gas is the option to beat the shit out of things when I'm cooking.  But induction has been a worthy substitute otherwise.  Thankfully, we held power during Snowmagedon.  So obviously, gas is superior in the power loss situation.

Edited by dcbc

7 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

my parents' induction cooktop doesn't cycle.  i have two portable induction cooktops that do cycle.  thing about induction cooktops though is they do have an expiration date- it's whenever the circuit board dies (about 10-15 years on most models) and it's not worth the cost to fix.  

27 minutes ago, Okie State said:

That one hasn't even been used yet. I just took the time to season it in the oven so it would have a good start.

Here are my other two.2233681a067c09b8289ae0e70801bf9c.jpg

Okay, that's more like it.  I thought I sucked at seasoning these things, too.  I guess I'll pull out the pan that looks like the one on the right and give it another shot.

• 1 month later...

Just came here to say I'm an air fryer convert.  Bought a bigger Breville smart oven because I use it 10-1 over my regular oven. Got the one with the air fryer because it was on sale and only 50 bucks more than the pro. 

Wasn't expecting much but did some fried zucchini that came out great. And the chicken nuggets my kid likes from Costco are done in 9 minutes from frozen instead of 28 or whatever and the texture is night and day difference. 

Haven't done proper fried chicken yet but I'm cautiously optimistic. What a good tool. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 11/7/2021 at 5:14 AM, Sam Lin said:

De Buyer is awesome. Mine look wayyyyy worse than that, I suck at maintaining seasoning.

i've watched a million videos and tried a million ways to season my carbon and cast iron stuff.  never been able to get it to a permanently-slick condition.  its always spotty and uneven. 

now i just make do from day to day.  then once a quarter ill just sand the bitch down with mild sandpaper and get it back to new condition again.