Top Chef All-Stars: LA

ss13

8 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Not sure why all the hate. Aside from malarkey and Leann not going home again, I was happy with the outcome. 

Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?  Perfect chance for a double tap wasted.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Not sure why all the hate. Aside from malarkey and Leann not going home again, I was happy with the outcome. 

Overall this is not seeming like the same level as the last All Stars though. Restaurant Wars is next. 

Not so fast.  The LCK winner will be coming back, which means there will be 9, not 8.  Previews did not mention RWs either.   

1 minute ago, Biff Tannen said:

Preview did mention it. But maybe just looking ahead if lck is coming back?  I haven’t watched it yet. 

The show ended with Tom saying that the next LCK was starting immediately, and that the winner would re-enter the main competition.  The preview I saw showed everyone using a machete in place of a knife.  That was likely the QF challenge, which they don't do during RWs week.   

Speaking of, saw Mike Voltaggio judging one of those dumbass Grocery Games-type shows the other night, couldn’t figure out why the fuck he was wasting his time. According to Wiki, he ain’t even got a restaurant at the moment. 

1 hour ago, pepper brooks said:

VOltaggio seems to have lost a few mph on his fastball.  He seems to still make some creative and tasty food, but neve really seems to nail it or excel within the parameters of the competition each week.  

Yeah, he doesn't seem overly concerned with going along with the themes of the challenges.  He just makes something good that may or may not be related to what he was supposed to be doing.

LCK - using spoiler tags in case folks haven't seen 

they really fucked them over by having them step right into LCK and then cook for like another 2? hours?

Spoiler

Karen had it right, don't do too much especially when you are jumping over to LCK directly

how does Nini burn that much stuff in that short of a time? how do you burn curry THAT badly?

Glad Karen won it...

I'm surprised Eric went so early, but you cannot have a bad day when the one of the bottom three has immunity and the other has compromising photos of Tom.  I rooted for Voltaggio in his other two seasons, but find him frustrating to watch this go 'round.  He seems to have a stubborn case of the Brothers...making great food while ignoring the challenge requirements. 

I'm really hoping for a Kevin / Gregory / Melissa final.  Unless Bryan suddenly wakes up and realizes that merely cooking good food isn't enough, I don't see how anyone else has a chance, barring an uncharacteristic bad day.

• Like 1

On 5/1/2020 at 6:59 PM, Deej said:

I still think Gail would be much more fun in the sack. 

You’re probably right. Padma  definitely is a gold digger. Rushdie then Forstman then Dell. One of the reasons she divorced Rushdie was that he wanted sex too much. 

Edited by TonyTexas

On 4/30/2020 at 10:02 PM, TonyTexas said:

Looking at next week’s preview, it looks like Gregory’s team for Restaurant Wars is LeeAnn, Stephanie and Malarkey. Wtf? It had to be a knife draw and Kevin hit the lottery. 

It really should have been a snake draft to be truly fair. 

12 hours ago, Radical Larry said:

Holy shit, that's a lot of food.

Kevin fucked himself with trying to do to damn much. I understand what he was trying to do but the more you make the more chances the judges will be disappointed in your dish which in RW could be the deciding factor between a W and a L.

11 hours ago, ss13 said:

Damn, can’t ever talk shit about Kevin. 

Respect the shit out of him. He seems like a genuinely great guy. 

11 hours ago, kevwun said:

I'm really surprised that Kevin's restaurant ended up being such a train wreck.

Way too much food. Eliminate 2-4 of those dishes/sides and I think it's a hell of a lot closer. Also sucks that he couldn't find the same curry powder he used last week. Obviously that is going to have a pretty big impact on trying to recreate the dish the judges loved so much the previous week and what they were expecting. 

11 hours ago, ss13 said:

Why does it always seem like RW is a one-sided boatrace? We rarely get two close concepts with any suspense. 

Agreed, it's odd. Although I don't think it was as one sided as it had been in past seasons. But pretty clear that Kevin bit off more than he could chew.

As much as it pains me I have to give  Malarkey a lot of credit. Him talking about not letting the guest know or see the chaos going on in the kitchen is so damn true and can make or break a restaurant. It also brought back a ton of memories of when I was a restaurant manager back in the day. 

Preview spoiler- Nothing definite just something that I noticed in the previews that could spoil who goes home next week-

Spoiler

In the rear shot of them walking into the LA coliseum there were only 6 contestants- Either Karen or Le Ann are out based on body type of those in the shot..........And neither one of them were in the previews of the other challenges aside from Karen during what looked like a kid's school lunch challenge.

Kevin was my favorite, so I hope he can make it back thru LCK.  Very classy, but in my opinion dumb, to fall on his sword.   The judges didn't even deliberate.  He basically resigned.

Malarkey as FOH was smart, since he's opened a million restaurants and knows exactly how it should go down.

I liked the first round of the judges picking concepts.  That guarantees a degree of culinary focus with each restaurant.  Feels like a lot of losing restaurants in the past were just four chefs that each wanted to do their own thing and then force a concept around their individual dishes.  However, it also sets the Exec Chef up for much more responsibility if it fails.  

• Like 1

Just now, Biff Tannen said:

Kevin was my favorite, so I hope he can make it back thru LCK.  Very classy, but in my opinion dumb, to fall on his sword.   The judges didn't even deliberate.  He basically resigned.

Malarkey as FOH was smart, since he's opened a million restaurants and knows exactly how it should go down.

I liked the first round of the judges picking concepts.  That guarantees a degree of culinary focus with each restaurant.  Feels like a lot of losing restaurants in the past were just four chefs that each wanted to do their own thing and then force a concept around their individual dishes.  However, it also sets the Exec Chef up for much more responsibility if it fails.  

Yeah I like it and hate it. Granted they all have to cook food for a specific challenge but if I have never cooked "traditional southern" or "Haitian" food the only two people who could really go home in the new set up is the executive chef or the chef that runs the FOH of the house because the other two are just line cooks doing what the executive chef is telling them to do. 

Yes, I am aware that it's usually the executive chef or FOH chef that go home but how in previous RW if I made a shitty dish that was my concept based on the chosen theme of the restaurant  I could go home. There is no way that would have happened last night so basically 4 chefs got a free pass to the next round.

18 minutes ago, HoffaJimmy said:

Yes, I am aware that it's usually the executive chef or FOH chef that go home

This was actually a lot closer than I thought it would be.  Only a two chef difference between Exec Chef and Line Cooks being eliminated.  Only one for Exec Chef and FOH.  Check out this site.

https://topchefstats.com/

• Like 2