Top Chef All-Stars: LA

ss13

Just now, Biff Tannen said:

Kevin was my favorite, so I hope he can make it back thru LCK.  Very classy, but in my opinion dumb, to fall on his sword.   The judges didn't even deliberate.  He basically resigned.

Malarkey as FOH was smart, since he's opened a million restaurants and knows exactly how it should go down.

I liked the first round of the judges picking concepts.  That guarantees a degree of culinary focus with each restaurant.  Feels like a lot of losing restaurants in the past were just four chefs that each wanted to do their own thing and then force a concept around their individual dishes.  However, it also sets the Exec Chef up for much more responsibility if it fails.  

Yeah I like it and hate it. Granted they all have to cook food for a specific challenge but if I have never cooked "traditional southern" or "Haitian" food the only two people who could really go home in the new set up is the executive chef or the chef that runs the FOH of the house because the other two are just line cooks doing what the executive chef is telling them to do. 

Yes, I am aware that it's usually the executive chef or FOH chef that go home but how in previous RW if I made a shitty dish that was my concept based on the chosen theme of the restaurant  I could go home. There is no way that would have happened last night so basically 4 chefs got a free pass to the next round.

feel terrible for Kevin - but kind of shocked there wasn't even any deliberation about Karen having a bad FOH and a bad dish

at the same time, i am floored that Kevin's team was that bad. no reason that he should have been the case with his team...got to think some of it was the editing. nobody on the team suggested editing the menu? 

I wish Kevin could have pivoted once he realized the concept was doomed given the time constraints. He essentially had the two best, most technical chefs in the competition just muscling through side dishes to fulfill the southern feast concept. It sucks, but he stuck with a concept that didn't allow any of them to really show out in those courses except for him with the chicken and the dessert. And he didn't execute either very well.  He definitely lost that challenge. 

• Like 2

It never appeared Kevin's team split up for the shopping either. 

Feminine decor = Kevin's fault
Shitty '80s menu graphics = Kevin's fault
Serving canapes as a full course = Kevin's fault
Less than stellar namesake main dish = Kevin's fault
Dessert fail = Kevin's fault 

Did they compliment anything of his? The dilly beans, I guess. 

• Like 1

I’ve been hard on Malarkey as a cheesy pitchman who is a mediocre chef. But I’ve warmed up to him. He is very aware of the character he’s playing and a lot of his antics are tongue and cheek. I’ve learned that he is an extremely successful restauranteur. He’s opened, owned and sold dozens of restaurants. His net worth is reportedly in the $100 million area. 

Just now, TonyTexas said:

I’ve been hard on Malarkey as a cheesy pitchman who is a mediocre chef. But I’ve warmed up to him. He is very aware of the character he’s playing and a lot of his antics are tongue and cheek. I’ve learned that he is an extremely successful restauranteur. He’s opened, owned and sold dozens of restaurants. His net worth is reportedly in the $100 million area. 

Yeah, I’ve never really had that big of a problem with him. Leann is my nemesis on this season. 

• Like 1

There might be several episodes of finale in Italy. Tom said this week that there is only 1 more LCK so there could be 6 going. I want Kevin back.Stephanie is probably the weakest of the remaining  chefs. Melissa, Gregory, Kevin, Voltaggio, Karen and Malarkey is probably the strongest lineup to go. 

1 hour ago, Deej said:

Voltaggio moving up in the pack on the backstretch. 

As long as he is allowed to cook whatever the fuck he wants, he'll be fine.  Obviously, as already stated, he still hasn't learned to follow the rules of a challenge.

LCK spoiler for those unaware. 

Kevin & Lee Anne had to fry an egg, make a French omelette, & then put a spin on Eggs Benedict. Kevin’s final dish gave him the win, so we’re all still good here.

14 hours ago, ss13 said:

LCK spoiler for those unaware. 

Reveal hidden contents

Kevin & Lee Anne had to fry an egg, make a French omelette, & then put a spin on Eggs Benedict. Kevin’s final dish gave him the win, so we’re all still good here.

Yeah, I don't know how to spoiler, but I saw it.

17 hours ago, Deej said:

Voltaggio moving up in the pack on the backstretch. 

I’ve been trying to figure out his strategy, or maybe lack of one?  On one hand, he seems indifferent and just foes what he feels like.  Clearly he know the “game” from his past appearances.   So he either is just on a lark, or he’s just been sticking to cooking good food, making sure he stays in, and waiting to get to the finals where he really can just do what he wants.

And I appreciate that about him. So he sucks at thinking outside the box in some goofy challenge. If I had to eat at any of the contestants' restaurants, his would probably be the one I'd choose first. Well, maybe Kevin's. 

• Like 2

Voltaggio is easily the best chef. It’s funny how every episode, from his fellow competitors to the judges and guest judges, everyone loves him. He doesn’t follow the rules whatsoever, but every dish, they’re like, old Voltaggio you son of a bitch, that’s just delicious. I’m not saying he’s going to win. He fucks up every challenge by not following the rules. He probably couldn’t have been sent home already. But it’s just funny to watch the respect he’s shown. 

Gregory has probably had the strongest showing for me 

• Like 1

I think any of Melissa, Gregory or Voltaggio could win it along with Kevin if he makes it back.  When there's a group of really talented chefs like this it's hard to say anyone is an odds on favorite because when they can cook what they want at the end someone is always going to make something mind blowing and have a great day.

20 hours ago, Deej said:

And I appreciate that about him. So he sucks at thinking outside the box in some goofy challenge. If I had to eat at any of the contestants' restaurants, his would probably be the one I'd choose first. Well, maybe Kevin's. 

Yeah, when the challenges are silly like cook something with Bush's baked beans, I don't much care who struggles with them.

3 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Voltaggio is easily the best chef.

Opinions stated as fact like this make me laugh. Have you ever tasted his food? How about any of any of the other chefs?  He might have the biggest reputation and could win but he’s been 4th best in this competition based on judging results so far. 

Just have to be there at the end. Top Chef infuriates me with some of the dumbass challenges. And don't get me started on RW. If you put your neck out as head chef or front of house, likely you have the best chance of going home, while everyone else can slack. 

I know they changed it up a bit this season, but if you were truly clever, you wouldn't have put your best foot forward during the challenge to choose the concept.