Top Chef All-Stars: LA

ss13

How hard is it to post respectfully like Blutarsky did? I’m watching part 2 now, will correctly use the spoiler function when it’s over for the sake of others. 

Edited by ss13
Part 2 is 29 minutes, by the way.

4 hours ago, Mr. Blutarsky said:

Just finished LCK. If you haven't watched it yet, it's a two parter and we couldn't find it on the Bravo app, but it's available on Youtube. Best one they've done so far and in my opinion as good as any regular episode they've had. 

Bolded is key, part 2 is WELL worth the watch. I won’t spoiler the final result since it will be seen Thursday, below is just a summary of the episode. 

Kevin gets to pick 3 of the 5 remaining chefs to battle individually, must win 2 to get back in. There are 4 different ingredient groups that the chosen chefs will choose from, Tom then announces the dish. Kevin picks Malarkey first in a seafood shells risotto challenge, Kevin wins. Then it’s his buddy Voltaggio in a stinky soup challenge, Volt wins. Kevin asks if anyone wants to volunteer for the final one, Gregory steps up for a fruits & nuts battle.

Good shit all the way around.

Kevin is a man. I like the way he took the fall in RW and how he chose his opponent in the rubber match of LCK. 

and ss13. If you’re going to be so offended by LCK non-spoilers then maybe you should spoiler all of your live posts during the show. I don’t really see the difference. 

Edited by TonyTexas
  • Like 1

Top Chef airs 9-10 on Thursdays, everyone knows that. Your own fault if you come to this thread before you’ve seen the actual episode. Deej could have easily just not made his post , or put it in a spoiler, but I guess that’s his thing. Blutarsky did it correctly. 

On 5/17/2020 at 2:00 PM, TonyTexas said:

Opinions stated as fact like this make me laugh. Have you ever tasted his food? How about any of any of the other chefs?  He might have the biggest reputation and could win but he’s been 4th best in this competition based on judging results so far. 

You are correct. He is not winning this competition. I stated as much if not more. I said Gregory was winning so far in my book. But Voltaggio is the most “classically” trained, has the most reputation, and I bet if you surveyed all the contestants, they would vote him a the best. That was my point. 

I hated Malarkey at the beginning of the season but he grew on me. He’s pretty amusing. Stephanie is quite the underdog in this group but I like her and hope she shows well. Gregory was the big favorite for most of the season but he’s stalled out. He better get a second wind. I really have no idea who is going to win. It’s really a talented group. 

Edited by TonyTexas
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Stephanie is quite the underdog in this group but I like her and hope she shows well.

Yeah, I was about 50% on this post. 

On 4/10/2020 at 5:23 PM, ss13 said:

I was hoping Stephanie could be a dark horse, but yeah, she has no chance. 

14 hours ago, Deej said:

Malarkey seems like an OK guy, but he has made it way to far on mediocre performances. 

Agreed. He's his own worst enemy as he doesn't know how to fucking edit. It's been his curse over and over again. He is funny and obviously talented he just always tries to do to much. 

1 hour ago, ss13 said:

I’d be willing to bet that if last night was a blind taste test, Malarkey would still be there. Sure sounded like Gregory’s dish was pretty weak. 

Malarkey does not self-edit well, and that made it an easy choice.  He made two dishes that tasted well enough on their own, but he in no way captured the essence of the original dish, nor did he stick to the core principals of the restaurant.  His dish was flawed conceptually.  Sometimes the judges favor taste.  Sometimes concept.  I think if his duo complimented each other better, he might be going to Italy.  I will not miss his shtick. 

Gregory needs to regain focus.  I think he is a little worn out.  If they get any sort of break before Italy, maybe he can recharge.

The odds are clearly not in Stephanie's favor, but I'm really proud of her, and would not mind at all if she somehow pulled the upset.  That said, I would be fine with any of the final five winning.  I find them all likeable, and the person left at the end will clearly have earned it.  My gut says that it will come down to Melissa and Voltaggio...as long as he gets challenges that allow him to cook his food. 

5 hours ago, idigTexas said:

Malarkey does not self-edit well, and that made it an easy choice.  He made two dishes that tasted well enough on their own, but he in no way captured the essence of the original dish, nor did he stick to the core principals of the restaurant.  His dish was flawed conceptually.  Sometimes the judges favor taste.  Sometimes concept.  I think if his duo complimented each other better, he might be going to Italy.  I will not miss his shtick. 

Gregory needs to regain focus.  I think he is a little worn out.  If they get any sort of break before Italy, maybe he can recharge.

The odds are clearly not in Stephanie's favor, but I'm really proud of her, and would not mind at all if she somehow pulled the upset.  That said, I would be fine with any of the final five winning.  I find them all likeable, and the person left at the end will clearly have earned it.  My gut says that it will come down to Melissa and Voltaggio...as long as he gets challenges that allow him to cook his food. 

And if they weren't meant to be eaten together, Malarkey,  maybe don't have them running into each other on the plate?

I grew to like Marlarkey. I never disliked him to begin with, but he was endearing to me this season. He’s just a goof that happens to be a good chef. He doesn’t mean any harm. 

that said, the most talented chefs are moving on. I’m rooting for a kevin vs Voltaggio final. But I’m fine with anyone else too. 

If he makes it to the final where they tend to have free reign then I think it will be Voltaggio. It feels like this will be a three person final since they went to Italy early (dont they normally wait to 4 people before they move)

Edited by hornbri

9 hours ago, Bash Riprock said:

I can't stand Kevin and love Gregory.

I like Kevin a ton but get it with Gregory. Really appeared like he was ST-RUGG-L-ING with his back issues the whole episode - from shopping to judges table. sucks for everyone involved...

Gregory got into a funk the last few episodes in the U.S. and was unable to regroup as the finale episodes appeared to take place almost immediately versus the normal hiatus of weeks/months. Kevin seems like a great guy and a thoughtful, talented chef. I have a feeling Bash’s dislike comes from his unfortunate use of the term ‘plantation food” in an earlier episode. Twitter, following last night’s episode, was full of racial outrage. #blackchefsmatter

Edited by TonyTexas

2 hours ago, NoName said:

I like Kevin a ton but get it with Gregory. Really appeared like he was ST-RUGG-L-ING with his back issues the whole episode - from shopping to judges table. sucks for everyone involved...

Probably just feeling the pressure

chas-osborn.jpg