Poker App with friends?

BNB

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Some friends and I played a tournament using the Pokerrrr2 app on Saturday. Buy-ins and payouts were handled by Apple Pay.

We did a test run on Saturday afternoon and there were no problems. We played the tournament Saturday night and there were some connectivity issues, but once you got in as long as you stayed in the app -- i.e., don't switch between apps when using your phone or tablet -- there didn't seem to be any problems. 

Cash games are possible but may be more difficult to control the number of chips on the table to make sure they equal the cash paid.

In theory, couldn’t you just set up a private room on poker stars, invite your poker night friends, and cash app/Venmo each other? I’ve never actually done this, so but I thought about it last night during self quarantining. Thought about trying it out with the guys i normally play with to see if there are any hang ups 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

Funny this was the top post on the board when I came here this morning to ask the same question. Have a monthly cash game with buddies that I’d like to take online given this virus crap and just wondering what’s the best solution. If I find anything we like I’ll come back and post. 

On 3/23/2020 at 10:35 AM, youdunnf'dup said:

In theory, couldn’t you just set up a private room on poker stars, invite your poker night friends, and cash app/Venmo each other? I’ve never actually done this, so but I thought about it last night during self quarantining. Thought about trying it out with the guys i normally play with to see if there are any hang ups 

Just did this exact thing last night with our regular Monday game exactly how you described it.  You have to buy play chips from Poker Stars ($1,000,000 chips for $4.99).  We played $100/$200 (max buyin was $20,000 per hour) with the understanding from everyone that its $1/$2 for real money.  One of the group is keeping track of all buyins for each session and we will all settle up when this is over.  Only weird thing is that PS takes an actual rake of the play chips but it shouldn't make much of a dent if everyone buys $1,000,000.  They also set up a Zoom meeting so we could all see and hear everyone if you wanted to.  Went off without a hitch.  It did take a little while to get used to how fast the action moves though.  It's been a long time since playing online.

Been doing Poker Stars private club also.

Similar setup to Zwylde, cash table buy-in between 4000 to 10000 play chips ($40-$100), 50/100 blinds ($0.50/$1). The rake seems to be like 5% or so, our bookkeeper keeps track of all buy-ins and adjusts at the end. Haven't checked his math but it all seems to line up when he sends the dues each night.

Also have run a couple to tournaments as well, where the conversion of real money to play chips isn't too important.

Edited by LonghornSean

Playingcards.io is really great when servers aren’t overloaded. Allows you to play any card game, it’s like having a free deck.

For chips check out pokerchips.io. Do those with a video conference and it’s almost no different from a reg card night with buddies

On 4/10/2020 at 7:39 AM, Baboontyme said:

We did Pokerrr2 until it went down. Then switched to PokerBros. PokerBros is better. 

On 4/10/2020 at 1:53 PM, blacklab said:

how much does pokerbros charge per hour?

I heard about this site last night when I was playing my weekly game on pokerstars. You guys like using pokerbros? Pros and cons?

• 3 weeks later...

Some of our group was having trouble connecting to Poker Stars last night, so we switched to Poker Now and it's been pretty legit.  Browser based, and no rake is a pretty big plus compared to Poker Stars for calculating the dues at the end of the night.  Clearly not as versatile as Poker Stars but for basic hold 'em cash games it does the job.

11 hours ago, LonghornSean said:

Some of our group was having trouble connecting to Poker Stars last night, so we switched to Poker Now and it's been pretty legit.  Browser based, and no rake is a pretty big plus compared to Poker Stars for calculating the dues at the end of the night.  Clearly not as versatile as Poker Stars but for basic hold 'em cash games it does the job.

Can this be played on phone ? 

16 hours ago, LonghornSean said:

We had several people using hotspots last night instead of connecting to their Wifi, and it seemed to help for some of them. I don't have any issues, and neither does about half of the people I normally play with.

Also, is there some type of weird algorithm in pokerstars? I say that because I've seen more bad beats in the last week then I have in a long fucking time (playing in person). So many people catching river cards when they have a less than 5% chance.  

No. You’re just seeing more hands.

Those complaints are nothing new in online poker. When you see another player saying them, you should be grateful they’re identifying themselves as one who doesn’t truly understand odds. They’ll probably overpay to chase, and likely over fold to river bets, while under-bluffing the river themselves.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

As Lurch said, those complaints about "online poker being rigged" or "seeing more bad beats online" are nothing new.  This is due to a combination of a few factors:

1) People always think they're good at poker;

2) If you're used to playing live poker and transition to online, you've gone from seeing 25-27 hands per hour on average, to 80...per table.  Many people play more than one table at a time.  Heck, when I was grinding my hardest, I saw more hands online in one week than I'd see playing live 10 hours a day every day for a year.  

3) People are looser with their chips online.  When poker first started, people were betting with actual cash.  Counting out bills and coins before making your decision caused more people to check or fold.  Then poker chips were introduced, which made people looser with their bets and calls.  And virtual chips make people even looser, so you see worse hands making it to showdown, and inevitably you see more "bad beats."  What you don't see are all the people who have called down to the river and missed, and then fold to a river bet.

4) People only remember the hands they lose, not the ones they win.  So they don't remember the 80% of the time they with with AA all in preflop versus KK, QQ, TT, etc, but they damn well sure tell everyone that they "always get sucked out on" because they lost once to JJ.

I've put in millions of hands online, have an extensive database, and all the numbers add up.  Sure I go on some bad streaks, but I also go on some good streaks.

I think the most important thing to realize is that poker sites have no incentive to "rig" hands.  In their perfect world, no one loses, everyone breaks even, and they just collect the rake.  And on these apps out there, like PokerBros and pokerrrr2, the app itself is a play money app.  They don't deal with real money games.  All the real money games are privately run.

55 minutes ago, Governor said:

As Lurch said, those complaints about "online poker being rigged" or "seeing more bad beats online" are nothing new.  This is due to a combination of a few factors:

1) People always think they're good at poker;

2) If you're used to playing live poker and transition to online, you've gone from seeing 25-27 hands per hour on average, to 80...per table.  Many people play more than one table at a time.  Heck, when I was grinding my hardest, I saw more hands online in one week than I'd see playing live 10 hours a day every day for a year.  

3) People are looser with their chips online.  When poker first started, people were betting with actual cash.  Counting out bills and coins before making your decision caused more people to check or fold.  Then poker chips were introduced, which made people looser with their bets and calls.  And virtual chips make people even looser, so you see worse hands making it to showdown, and inevitably you see more "bad beats."  What you don't see are all the people who have called down to the river and missed, and then fold to a river bet.

4) People only remember the hands they lose, not the ones they win.  So they don't remember the 80% of the time they with with AA all in preflop versus KK, QQ, TT, etc, but they damn well sure tell everyone that they "always get sucked out on" because they lost once to JJ.

I've put in millions of hands online, have an extensive database, and all the numbers add up.  Sure I go on some bad streaks, but I also go on some good streaks.

I think the most important thing to realize is that poker sites have no incentive to "rig" hands.  In their perfect world, no one loses, everyone breaks even, and they just collect the rake.  And on these apps out there, like PokerBros and pokerrrr2, the app itself is a play money app.  They don't deal with real money games.  All the real money games are privately run.

I keep asking them “why would poker stars do that? Like, what would the logical reason be? Exactly. It doesn’t make any sense.”

their reasoning starts to get ridiculous 

They're "reasoning" isn't really reasoning at all.  I've coached a number of players over the years, and some are just stuck in the "woe is me" stage instead of recognizing their leaks and improving their game.  It's many of those same player-types that complain about the poker gods being against them.  Some of these guys are naturally incredibly talented, too.  They just have some major leaks that keep them from making the next step.  Sometimes those leaks are just as simple as being emotional and tilting, or playing beyond their bankroll where inevitably variance and luck overcome skill.

I, like many people, enjoy and prefer the interaction during a live poker game, but man it sure it nice to just play from your couch or bathroom or desk without having to put shoes and a shirt on.  With that I've just got to accept that I'm going to see some pretty absurd hands with chips so freely flying around.

• 3 weeks later...