Coronavirus Impact on Travel

idigTexas

I know there are other Corona threads, but thought we needed one specifically for how travel is expected to be impacted throughout the year.  We are already seeing the price of jet fuel coming down due to cancelled flights, but the airline industry as a whole is expected to lose 30 billion dollars in 2020, and that will likely go up.  What does this mean for ticket prices?  Is it best to buy well in advance (NOW), hoping that travel isn't banned by the time you intend to fly, or are most of you going to take a "wait and see" approach, at the risk that flights will cost both kidneys and a spleen?

Edited by idigTexas

This hits close to home as my wife and I just paid for flights and a room for a week in Cancun in June, way back (2 weeks ago) when this thing was just affecting China. I’m ok with the decision to have gone ahead and bought those tickets. 

Edited by Etexhorn13

I've got one kid going to France and another to Germany the first few weeks of June.  I have some time, but I'm definitely waiting on buying tickets, because who knows what the travel situation will be like then, and who knows about what the airline situation will be (e.g., for Berlin flights, we've taken Norweigan -- they're good, but have tight margins.   They might not survive a major travel shutdown).

33 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

We have a trip to Italy booked for September and saw today that 6 people have died there.  All housing and several activities already booked and paid for.  Hoping we'll be done with it by then. 

Warm weather and humidity will have hopefully killed it off by then

I'm currently in Lubbock for the first time in 40 years..   No sign of virus but jesus.  how long ago was this place nuked?  Looks like they are just rebuilding here. 

I actually just booked a trip to Asia for Oct.  Was kind of hopping Id get in on a corona virus discount but so far no luck.

I'm scheduled for a business conference in Paris the 2nd weekend of March... There is supposed to be about 3000 techies from all over Europe, but people are already starting to pull out. I really _want_ to go, but I'm not sure it's worth the risk.... I'll probably bail this week.  I'm curious if the whole conference gets canned.  A number of higher profile conference in Europe already have...but most of those were ones where there was a significant presence from China... My conference is just EMEA.

Is the expectation that the cost of plane tickets will go up or down as this thing progresses?  Will the airlines have to cut prices to lure passengers who are afraid to travel, or will they have to raise them in order to eek out as much revenue as they can?  I can't find my crystal ball.