Coronavirus Impact on Travel

idigTexas

We bought plane tickets to Europe (Amsterdam, Paris, French countryside, London) for three weeks in June. Already bought tickets for Cards vs Cubs in London, but other than that haven't paid for anything else yet.

Tickets were a good deal imo. If prices go down, oh well. If travel gets cancelled, no refunds (already checked), then I'll be pissed.

I'll get full refunds on 2/4 airbnb and 1/2 back on the other two if I cancel.  Flights were all purchased with miles (7 flights total).  I'll get my miles back but it will cost me a little.  There are two hotel stays in Madrid that I purchased with points and I would get those back.  After everything I'll be out about $500 or so.  There's still plenty of time to make a decision.  It will suck if we have to cancel but health concerns come first.

3 hours ago, achooloco said:

Honestly don’t think Any of those Europe plans up thread Between now and this summer are gonna happen. Just saying. Hope I’m wrong 

Too early to tell.  Will know more in 2-3 weeks, and will plan from there.  Hoping the airlines will cooperate if cities/travel get locked down.  

Well I know 2 people that just cancelled Europe trips in late spring and I am sure that there are people actively booking trips right now. So there are definitely other things you could do.
I've already booked Spain. Been booked since late December. I've only booked hotel in Paris (that is a combo work personal trip).

So in my case, it is wait and see.
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I've already booked Spain. Been booked since late December. I've only booked hotel in Paris (that is a combo work personal trip).

So in my case, it is wait and see.

Same here.  Booked the France/Italy trip in early January, so in wait and see mode.  Would be very expensive to cancel now, unless things really start shutting down which should assist with trying to get airlines and hotels to help.

I would wait to pull the plug. If things shut down the airlines and hotels will almost certainly work with you. And if they don't you will get to travel with much less then normal tourists. 

Unless you have some other preexisting conditions or this thing mutates it does not sound like most of us have anything to worry about even if you do catch it. 

Edited by hornbri
  • Like 1

St Barth in June. I’m hoping for a worldwide quarantine once we’re there because that seems like a prime spot to be as the world ends.

If we survive that, we’re planning on France/Belgium in July. I’m thinking that one is 50/50 right now but I’ll just wait and see. My cancellation fees won’t be much different in June compared to now.

On 2/24/2020 at 8:39 PM, Neonmoon said:

Booked a Portugal trip for May before Wuhan bomb dropped. Trying to drop hints to the wife this whole pandemic thing is real and trip might get cancelled. She is not having it. 

Any day now, there will be a study telling us that drinking a bunch of port, and sobbing like a pathetic wretch at the table closest to the cafe stage where an old guitarist and a sultry Fado singer are just trying to make a living is the best way to avoid the disease. And if it's not, it's still a great way to spend a Thursday afternoon, instead of schlepping away back at your day job.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Armybrat said:

We were planning a three week trip to London and the Midlands in late June & early July, but the wife is getting the jitters. Nothing is booked yet.

Probably just jitters from when the Brits took her down last the time y’all went to London 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, hornbri said:

I would wait to pull the plug. If things shut down the airlines and hotels will almost certainly work with you. And if they don't you will get to travel with much less then normal tourists. 

Unless you have some other preexisting conditions or this thing mutates it does not sound like most of us have anything to worry about even if you do catch it. 

GoodFellaslauging:gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Tonesky said:

In-laws just pulled the plug on spring break travel (with my son) to Italy, including Venice.

17 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

I'm headed to Italy in May.  Maybe. 

If up to me, I would probably have still taken the Italy trip.  As for a future trip, I am optimistic things will be much improved by May.  To the extent they are not, it is likely they will be bad here too.  In which case, you might be better off in Italy....   Good luck.